Other Dog Foods:

Natural Balance Dry Dog Food

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

The best dog food for man's best friend

I thought I was doing my dog a favor by giving her Purina One, but boy, was I wrong. PLEASE look at the ingredient label of what you give your dog. Most dog food has corn fillers and other by-products in it. It's like giving your kids Lucky Charms every day. While good, it doesn't do a whole lot for their health. Several dog lovers at work recommended I try Natural Balance and they were right. While a bit on the expensive side, Natural Balance has something for every dog, whether they are overweight or have allergies. And it doesn't have artifical dyes or peservatives. Right now, my dog likes the Lamb Meal with Brown Rice formula. If you truly love your dog, then you care about their health and nutrition. Don't let Purina and the other companies fool you. They may have nice images of dogs in their ads, but they put fillers in their dog food. Try Natural Balance. You'll be glad you did.

Didn't hit the mark at all.

This food is supposed to be wonderful and great for your pet, but my Sibe/Malamute mix HATED it. She wouldn't even touch it. She didn't like it at all and refused to eat a bite. I gave it a three because it really is made with quality ingredients. Unfortunately, this food has that 'dog food' smell that is associated with many of the lesser quality brands. I've never met a dog hat doesn't like the smell and taste of meat, but this food doesn't smell like meat. On top of that, I couldn't find a bit of antioxidants in this.

Quality of Ingredients
This food is made with really great quality ingredients, which makes the fact that it didn't hit the mark really sad. It really has potential, but they need to work on the taste a bit, because pickier pets probably won't like it.

Flavor Selection
There really need to be more options to choose from, this brand has all of the standard flavor options, but that is all I found. I didn't find any specialty foods in this line of products, either. Nothing for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies.

Great Brand for Low Price, High Quality

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:

We've fed my dog exclusively Natural Balance dry dog food since about 2 months after adopting her. She came to us underfed, and almost immediately developed yeast infections in her paws and ears. It was suggested to us by our veterinarian that it likely was the result of poor diet. Although my husband and I had both been used to grocery store dog food based on the way our families treated our childhood pets, we immediately we searching for a better product to give our dog.

This brand does a few levels of specialty foods - most are 'LID' (Limited Ingredient Diets) but there are specialty Ultra as well. All are fine for puppies through to senior dogs. There are no grains or fillers in these foods. Potatoes (mostly sweet potato) and rice are the main carbohydrates. A lot of vegetables, various proteins (bison, lamb, duck, chicken) are included in the choices.

We've tried a couple and settled on a favorite for our dog, but we'd feel confident giving her anything from this line. There are occasionally coupons available but as far as specialty dog food goes, this is one the least expensive. It's available online and in pet stores.

• Flavor Selection:

All of my dogs enjoy this food!

from Davie, FL

Comments about Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:

When I was in search of a dog food for all three of my dogs to equally enjoy, I found and purchased Natural Balance dry dog food, and I knew that I made the right choice. My chihuahua/dachshund mix, my labrador retriever, and my poodle just love this dry dog food. Natural Balance dry dog food is everything that it claims to be and more. This dog food is decently-priced, so it is affordable for most pet owners. This dog food is beneficial to my dogs' health, and I would recommend it for anyone who cares about their dog's well-being and overall happiness.

Quality of Ingredients
The quality of this dog food is exceptional. It provides all of the vitamins and nutrients that my dogs crave and need, and they seem to really like the taste of it.

Flavor Selection
I have only purchased the chicken formula, but I believe that they also offer a beef formula and a lamb formula. I will most likely buy the beef formula next for my dogs to try.

• Flavor Selection:

I love their limited ingredients and the simplicity of it.

from West Virginia

Comments about Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:

This company has became a new favorite since I've started making healthier changes in my life and in my animals. This dry dog food does have the occasional vegetable or grain in it but it isn't the first twenty ingredients like many foods. Their dry dog food actually has turkey, fish, chicken, duck, venison, and other proteins in it. My smallest dog doesn't have nearly as many digestive issues with this food. He has a low grain tolerance and this food is soft on his belly.

I love how this food makes my dogs coat feel and their breath isn't too terrible. Their breath still smells but it isn't as bad with this food as some that I've purchased. This food is a bit pricier but we've made changes to make this a more viable option for our pets because of the better ingredients. I've even switched my cats over to the cat variety that this company offers.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients are much better than most super market dog foods. The price for the ingredients is higher but it's worth it.

Flavor Selection
They actually have a ton to choose from. I like that I can buy several different proteins and not just have to choose a fake flavor. Their flavors actually have real meats in them. Many brands list lamb as a flavor but it's no where to be found on the ingredient list. This company actually lists lamb in their label. I like having more protein options and less grains in my dogs food. The flavor selection with this company is great.

• Flavor Selection:

Good for my dog's stomach!

Comments about Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:

I own a year-old, 50 - 60 lb., standard poodle/ lab mix named Grover. After my dog outgrew the puppy-specific formula that he was raised on, Natural Balance was the first brand of adult dog food that I tried, mainly because it was recommended by knowledgeable staff at my neighborhood pet supply store. One of the things that I like about this brand is that there really aren't fillers and other unnecessary, unhealthy ingredients in the recipe. My dog had a rather sensitive stomach, and he did really well with this food… his digestion totally improved, and now I would say his stomach is pretty healthy! My only problem with this brand of dog food is that I wish it were a little more affordable. It can cause financial problems if you have a big dog and a limited budget. But as with anything, you get what you pay for. In this case, I would say that if you can swing the hefty price, this is probably one of the best quality foods you can buy for your pet.

Flavor Selection
Lots of interesting options geared for your pup!

My dog loves this

Comments about Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:

My dog just loves eating Natural Balance dog food. He likes it so much he will try to open the bag if finds it. That is why I have to hide it from him. I like the varieties they have, some of his favorites are the Potato and Fish Formula and the Lamb meal with Brown Rice. He has yet to leave food in his bowl, which he would sometimes do with other dog food.

A great benefit that comes from me buying Natural Balance dog food is how easily my dog is able to digest the food. The product itself contains no artificial ingredients, colors or flavors, which is one of a few reasons I decided to purchase this brand when I did. I have also noticed how healthier he looks, how his skin looks better and he has more energy to do things like going outside and playing. I enjoy buying the big package of this product since it is a better overall value and it last longer. What I love most about Natural Balance Dog food is how much my dog loves it.

Quality of Ingredients
Great ingredients, it is not artificial.

Flavor Selection
Has a few excellent flavors to choose from.

Loved this food for my Lab Puppy

Comments about Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:

When we got our puppy we wanted a food that was healthy and clear of fillers. We loved this! When our puppy goes potty outside she doesn't stain the grass a yellow ring where she goes is actually a darker healthy green lawn from all the nutrients in the food. We switched to a cheaper food but still healthy and instantly started making yellow rings in the lawn. We switched back. We are very happy with this product! I did a lot of research when trying to find the best food for our new puppy an this one kept popping up all over! We have purchased treats from this brand as well. Over all this is a top notch brand for Dogs!

Quality of Ingredients
This brand has very healthy ingredients no artificial fillers. It's a top choice for many pure bread dog owners!

Flavor Selection
Our puppy like the potato and duck flavor we never tried any of the others we were told to stick with one flavor and not change around so we don't upset her tummy. But I have talked other dog owners that have used other flavors and all been happy!

• Flavor Selection:

This food looked healthy and like quality food, but too big!

Comments about Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:

I got the food because the new puppy I bought was supposedly given it the entire time she was in the pet store. It looked like good food and was a lot for the price, but the poor thing could barely eat it. I had to go out and buy another type of dog food for her to eat it. I feel it would be great for larger breeds, but I got a cocka-poo and she could barely fit the pieces in her mouth. I wish they had food for smaller puppies.

Quality of Ingredients
There is not much corn in it and it seems very healthy for my puppy and even my older dog. The more corn is in a dog food, the worse it is for the dog. They cannot digest corn, so it is just like sugar to us. However, puppies and dogs should not get the same ingredients, puppies need different nutrients and vitamins than dogs do.

Flavor Selection
My puppy seemed to like it a lot as did my older dog. My older dog is very picky, so that says something! Also, the food was easy on both of the dog's sensitive tummies. Unfortunately, the cat likes it too...

• Flavor Selection:

Didn't hit the mark at all.

• Flavor Selection:

Perfect for Dogs with Allergies!

Comments about Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:

We had a terrier mix that had TERRIBLE allergies and also had anxiety and crazy behavior. Our trainer recommended this food and our Veterinarian also seconded the recommendation. It did wonders! She went from having UTIs and Colitis episodes every 60 days to only having them about once or twice a year. She also calmed down (a little bit!) but the biggest improvement was with her licking and chewing on her feet. I highly recommend this brand. Our terrier has since passed away but we adopted a Lab and just immediately put her on this brand of food.

Quality of Ingredients
I think because this is limited ingredient it is easy to figure out if your dog is allergic to something and because of all the flavors offered, you can change to a unique flavor combo that might work better for your pet. I trust this brand and think it produces a quality product.

Flavor Selection
Because our first dog had such bad allergies and IBS we used the Venison Sweet Potato one, but we use the Lamb and Rice for our Lab right now because she isn't showing any signs of allergies. Both seem to be fantastic! My dogs have never complained at meal time. ;)

Dog Food.

Comments about Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:

I was really amazed by what this dog food did for the skin of my dog. That was probably one of the last things I had expected. My dog had previously had very dry skin which produced a lot of dandruff which was obviously unpleasant. Within a few weeks of literally only switching our food over to Natural Balance his dandruff was significantly reduced and the dryness of his skin was much improved.

Quality of Ingredients
I really love how high quality the ingredients are. The proof for me was also the change in my dogs droppings. My dog's waste had always had a rather unpleasant odor which I assumed was just how the dog was. After a few short days the odor was nearly undetectable. This was an incredible side bonus which I'm sure every other dog owner will appreciate.

Flavor Selection
My dog's favorite is the "Sweet Potato and Bison". Until Natural Balance I hadn't even heard of such mixes of dog food but my dog goes crazy for every meal.