Nationwide Insurance

Nationwide Insurance

Pros

Cons

Nationwide Really is On Your Side

Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company is a large business that offers insurance policies for auto, home, renting, business, life, etc. along with financial services for investing, saving, debt management, etc. This company is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. Founded in 1925, Nationwide has grown to a very large size, and it ranks among the nation's largest insurers. It offers several different insurance products, but the one I am most familiar with is Nationwide's Auto Insurance. Let's take a closer look at this insurance company and see how its coverage stacks up against the competition: **Insurance Commentary:** Like other auto insurance companies, Nationwide offers several different coverage options to give the vehicle owner more peace of mind. The company offers the usual vehicle damage and repair coverage, along wit liability coverage, uninsured motorists, family compensation, no- fault injury protection, and more.

Nationwide's auto insurance costs a little bit more than many other carriers. Part of the reason for the higher price is the Nationwide name itself, and part of it is for the quick response and the years of reliable service that Nationwide has given to its policy holders. A large insurance company typically has a much larger asset base to access, for payment of claims, which makes it (generally speaking, of course) a little bit safer than a smaller company. Nationwide Insurance Company has been in the business of auto insurance for a long time, with a solid record for paying claims and keeping customers happy. I have used Nationwide auto insurance in the past and never had any problem with them. I can't complain about the premiums, either. The prices, while a little higher than average, are still fair for what you get. I like the fact that Nationwide gives the option of making premium payments monthly rather than semi- annually. When I first became a Nationwide customer, I was young and owned a brand- new car. The premiums, if paid semi- annually, were too much for me to cover in a lump- sum. The monthly payment option was perfect for me at the time because it reduced the needed cash down to a manageable level. I still like this option, and it is now common with all insurance companies. It is much easier to budget money for each month rather than pay a large sum every six months. One of the main reasons I stuck with Nationwide for so long was the friendly service. Mind you, I have never caused a wreck so I have never had to submit a claim. But my other dealings with Nationwide have all been positive. When I first signed up for Nationwide, I was treated much more respectfully than I had been with other carriers. They didn't try to push products on me that I didn't really need and/or couldn't afford. They gladly accepted my business and treated me like an adult. Nationwide is a mutual insurance company. This is significant because it means there are no direct shareholders. The policy holders are considered the "owners" of the company. With no shareholders to satisfy, Nationwide doesn't need to worry that its company will be influenced by certain outsiders who only care about improving the bottom line at any cost. Rather, Nationwide can concentrate its efforts on serving its customers, which it does quite nicely.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, I like Nationwide auto insurance and would probably still be using them had I not been lured away to Geico (lower cost convinced me to change). I have never submitted a claim, so I can't comment on the company's effectiveness in this area. But I know that Nationwide is a friendly, helpful company that always treated me with respect and dignity.

Definitely not on the customer's side

We used to have **Nationwide Insurance** for our homeowners insurance.  We purchased it when we relocated to Houston from Knoxville.  Over the three years we had it they had bad customer service, shoddy business practices and changes or increases without contacting policy holder to tell them.

Let me give you a few examples:

My dishwasher broke and flooded my downstairs kitchen area which is an open floor. When calling to find out my deductible I received three different answers - all of them equaling that it is a percentage of the value of my home. I said ok, well the taxed value is this, no it's according to Nationwide standards. if they say your house is worth x dollars then it is. They increased the level of the value of my home by $50,000 causing my deductible to be almost 1000.00 more.

Constant disagreements between the contractor and claims adjuster. It took over 4 months to make the repairs and get my new dishwasher.  The payment schedule was hit or miss and to this day I still don't know if I got "hosed" or not.

When looking over our balance sheet for the year we checked our insurance premiums, which unknown to us has increased. Our homeowners insurance is paid through escrow, and was increased without any notice to use. We had been paying DOUBLE the previous years premium (and no it wasn't due to the claim that happened in another year).  When asked why (after several unreturned phone calls) no one had an answer.  Well one answer was that we lived too far away from a fire stations. There is a fire station on the street that leads into our subdivision - about three blocks from out house.  Walking distance easily.

No answer to that - so, guess what Nationwide - we have an answer for you. We have a new homeowners insurance.

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!! DO NOT USE!!!!!!

from Sumter, SC

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

I am a United States Air Force Veteran that have been a faithful Nationwide policy holder for the past 12 years of my life. I was informed to contact Tommy Forbes Agency from a Nationwide Representative for assistance with a recent Nationwide issue that they could possibly assist with me. I took the Nationwide Representative advice and contacted Tommy Forbes Agency in regards to the issue, instead of receiving world class customer service, I was treated very disrespectfully. My Nationwide issue wasn't important to them at all. The person I spoke to on the phone, specifically told me she has more important things to take care of before 4 O'Clock comes and that she will call me back if possible. My issue was tossed to the side, like it was nothing and I remind you that's after being a faithful customer / policy holder for the past 12 years. I informed the individual that I was on the phone with that I was given instructions to call Tommy Forbes Agency in regards to the issue and she said "well I am giving you the instructions now"!! This individual behavior was out-right rude, disrespectful, profane, and insulting. This one individual has ruined my feelings towards Nationwide and has ruined Tommy Forbes Agency reputation as a whole. I feel like if this is how Tommy Forbes Agency represent their selves as a Nationwide Agency then their business should be shutdown! No one deserves to be spoken too the way I was spoken too today as a 12 year Nationwide Policy holder and as a United States Military Veteran!!!! I currently work for the Department of Navy and even my co-workers overheard this lady totally disrespecting me and the concern for my issue. They stated that they would have cursed her out but instead I decided to write this review to let everyone know of the disrespect!!! So this review is meant to inform everyone that is researching Tommy Forbes Agency or Nationwide to let them know "THAT NATIONWIDE IS DEFINITELY NOT ON YOUR SIDE" neither is Tommy Forbes Agency!!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

I would suggest paying more for quality service

from Pflugerville, Texas

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

The worst insurance I've had to deal with. The customer service lacks, they try their best to not repair in hopes customers don't find out. 2nd accident and found things that did not get fixed on my first accident, which explains why my car was not running correctly. Found out there might be a pinch in my drive shaft, they are only giving the shop 4 days to fix it. My rental with Enterprise has expired. Thanks Kelley Knowles for NOT being on my side. I am definitely gonig back to USAA.

husband has been with them for 14 years

from Belfry, KY

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

my husband has been with this company for 14 years and they are a good company cheap insurance..... has everything we need as far as insurance goes

Stay Away from Nationwide

from Columbus, MS

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

I recently switched over to Nationwide from Progressive, looking for a cheaper rate. After paying the first payment on my policy, I was notified that I had to provide prior proof of insurance, which I emailed to them that same day. For two months now, I have been getting emails saying that I need to provide proof of insurance from 9/8/2014 to 9/9/2014 for my vehicle, when I didn't even have a vehicle on 9/8/2014. They keep telling me that I need to provide a letter saying that I was authorized to drive a vehicle that has coverage and that will take care of the lapse. I didn't have a vehicle for two years, so why would I provide this information and also why would I pay for coverage on a vehicle that I don't have? Their saying that this one day lapse of coverage will cause my policy to be cancelled, and that they need to quote me a new policy. I refuse to pay anything over what I'm already paying, and needless to say, I will be switching insurance companies after this policy is over.

The Worst Insurance I ever had

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

I have been driving for over 20 years and had a clean driving record and no lapses in coverage until I started doing business with Nationwide. The lack of professionalism and sheer incompetence of the agents and customer service representatives leaves me very dissatisfied. Now I have a lapse in my coverage due to a consistent due date issue which caused problems with my bank that I had them so a automatic draft but you live and learn. Whatever other insurance leeches I have to do business with now I'll have a higher rate.

Best agents!

from Florida

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

I have been with Nationwide for years now and haven't had any complaints. I shopped around a couple months ago and couldn't find anything that even remotely looked like it would be a better experience than the one that I get with Nationwide.

The rates are great. I've kept my intro rate for the whole time that I have been with them, which has saved me money. I didn't even know how great until I started to compare to others.

They over great coverage too! I had no idea what I was missing before switching to Nationwide. It's been one of the most economical choices , not to mention best that I have made.

I can not say enough good things about my agents. They are the sweetest, most helpful and friendly people. They literally will go above and beyond three fold to sure you are happy and pleased with their service.

Nationwide offers a lot of different plans. They have something for everyone, and they are more than happy to work with the consumer to make sure you're getting exactly what you are wanting or needing.

The worst Insurance company in us

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

They cancelled my policy without notice ..I find out from my bank as they didn't took the money . So when I called they told me it cancel. So they cancel without even notice me or call or email or or. The reason Ido not own the house where I live. what I shd do

Worst insurance company ever

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

Nationwide is the worst insurance company. Their customer service department Is horrible and ignorant. The agency sad one thing and the customer service dept says another. It is all one company yet they can't make their mind up. They have hidden fees to get as much money out of you as possible. warning you to not choose nationwide.

Home and Auto Insurance

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

My family and I had been a customer of Nationwide for over 10 years.
We purchased a new home in Colorado and continued our loyalty to Nationwide and insured our property there.
Right in the middle of the recession I received a letter from nationwide stating they were dropping us and not renewing our insurance??
Upon review it was found that there had been an abnormal amount of fires in Colorado that year and Nationwide was canceling "risky" contracts.
I know this will be a bit of a cliche but I can't help it.
First I am upset that my favorite quarter back hums their song
Second - they are only on your side - when there is little risk. They certainly were not there for us, when we were loyal to them.
Farmers Insurance picked us up immediately - now that is a company on your side. Call them

Available Plans
See above

• Available Plans:

Try to break up with them! Just try!!!!

Comments about Nationwide Insurance:

Cancelled Aug 15, 2014. Still being billed Oct 2014...for my own good! Really?

Customer Service
They did not use cuss words but border line rudeness. When I called to cancel they said " Well, we could have offered you a better rate if we knew you where shopping around". They also kept withdrawing $ from my account FOR MY OWN GOOD. Give me a break.