2.6

2.6

Pros

Cons

• Vehicle Selection:

Too High Expectations From Some Reviewers???

I rent from National almost every time I rent (which is about 4 or 5 times per year).  They always have newer cars with good selection, and their Emerald Club benefits are much better than any other membership club (except maybe Hertz Gold, but I don't rent enough for that).

My family and I have two priorities while traveling -- finding competitive prices and saving time instead of wasting it at a rental counter.  On most occasions, we are in our vehicle and on the road in 10 minutes or less, with little hassle and good service.

Now, that is not to say that we haven't had issues in the past.  Once, a gate agent told us that an SUV we found on the Emerald Aisle was "not available for our reservation", and I had to agree to an up-charge before I could leave.  However, a quick call to the reservations department and an explanation resolved the issue.  Every company has new or bad employees, and it isn't fair to blame the company for one person's rude or inept behavior.  A common complaint seems to be about agent's trying to sell extras or upgrades.  All rental companies try to get you to take extras -- that's the nature of the business.  It is up to the buyer to know their rights before they step up to the counter.  For example, if asked to purchase an upgrade (which only seems to happen to me when they don't have any cars in my reserved class), my answer is always "No thank you, but you are welcome to upgrade me for free if you don't have my reserved car class available".  In most cases, if you demonstrate that you know the game, they will leave you alone and move on to the next guy.

Overall, National seems to have the best program going in the rental car business with the Emerald Club and Emerald Aisle program.  Hertz, Avis and Budget always seem higher, and Alamo, Dollar, Budget and Thrifty don't provide the service that National provides.   If you are looking, you can always find a way to join Emerald Club for free (several sites offer links to do so), and every 7 rentals earn you a free day.

In my opinion, National offers the best mix of time savings, reliable vehicles and competitive pricing.  Just be sure that your expectations aren't too high and that you know the rules before you rent with anyone.

Rip-off!

I rented a one way rental.  When I got to the drop off location at my stated drop off time, the location was closed (an hour earlier than the website stated).  After calling National's customer service hotline, they gave me a 2nd drop off location that's suppose to be open.  Upon arrival, this location was also closed!  After calling National's customer service hotline again and the location from which I originally picked up the car, no one can provide any assistance other than to keep the car until the next day when someone is working at the drop off location!  The next day, going to the 2nd drop off location provided, they took the car.  However, they charged me for the extra day that I kept it, plus a $75 fee for not dropping it off at my originally stated location.  When I complained, they said that they are only responsible for collecting the fees.  I'll have to take up any charge discrepancies with the place I originally rented the car from.  Well, after 3 calls to the original rental location, I've received only the runaround and no resolution or refund of the charges!  I will never rent from them again and recommend to everyone to not do so either!

Deserves a 10 Plus!

Comments about National Car Rental:

OK, this car rental company deserves 10 stars! We rent cars every 2-3 weeks at the Ontario airport and switched to National (Emerald ) from Dollar about a year ago . What a difference in the condition of the cars, the attendants and the efficiency! I'm compelled to write this ESPECIALLY due to one outstanding employee named
Ron C. This employee took National from 5 stars to a 10 Plus!! Not only was he helpful and pleasant even in the rain, but after turning our car in, I went into the rental terminal and tried to buy a hot chocolate from the vending machine. Somehow, my credit card wasn't working. Mr Ron C. saw me struggling, and after I gave up, he placed four quarters in the machine for me and said "here, your hot chocolate is on the house" . Oh my God... since when has an attendant used his own money to promote a huge corporation? I hope National realizes that employees like Mr Ron C. make them successful!

• Vehicle Selection:

Mandatory Insurance on Rentals (Lexington KY airport)

Comments about National Car Rental:

Be verrrrry wary of National Rental Car at the LEX airport. Unlike anyone else industry-wide, their default setting for renting is with LDW. If you don't know what that means, you'll find out when you pay an additional *50% PER DAY* on your car: it's insurance. With National you have to specifically decline insurance in order for it not to be added. This even happened with a Hotwire reservation! If you don't have any issue with this, you're good. If you do have an issue, be prepared to speak to the rudest, most combative people you've ever dealt with and for nothing to be resolved. Also know that those people won't actually work at the specific rental place- no one at the Lexington office can be reached or returns calls.

Customer Service
The worst customer service. If by miracle you speak to someone, they will apologetically and patronizingly tell you they aren't interested in helping you. Otherwise it's a lot of unanswered voicemails and promises to call you right back.

Great Customer Service

Comments about National Car Rental:

We had a great experience with National on 9/19-9/23. Agent was friendly, knowledgable about the product and confirmed our reservation and offered upgrade and insurance coverage. She also gave us a choice on type of car. Very professional and great Customer service. We'll definitely go back to National for our future rentals. The next month we went to a Hertz to try their service. My husband and I regret for wasting our money. It was real bad, their car selection was not good, poor customer service. Now we know where to go...National us our first choice.

Customer Service
It was Excellent. She was fast, professional and very friendly. She made our visit to Los Angeles enjoyable. She recognized that my husband's birthday was that Saturday and wished him a Happy Birthday and gave us an upgrade at a discounted rate. That was special.

Vehicle Selection
They have Newer Cars, very clean( spotless ) and very comfortable. We had reserved mid-size car but got a great deal to upgrade SUV and it was worth it. Brand new Buick. We enjoyed the car we had....Thank you!

Nightmare

Comments about National Car Rental:

We went to Cancun Mexico and we rented a car using Expedia. I love Expedia. We go to pick up our rental car and they proceed to tell us that they will not accept Expedia's insurance that we paid for. They wanted us to pay over $50 a day for insurance ON TOP of paying a $1,000 deposit for us to rent a car. We were on our vacation for our honeymoon. There was no way we were paying that much money to rent a car. We had it all planned and booked and then to show up with no family or friends there on our honeymoon only to go back to the airport due to them not accepting what we already paid for, it was really ridiculous. I was very disappointed in this and feel like we shouldn't have had to deal with the issues we encountered. I will definitely not use National every again when renting a car. It sucks when you are on your honeymoon to be stranded and have no way to get anywhere besides using the taxi service.

Young Drivers Beware

Comments about National Car Rental:

I am an executive member of national and am under the age of 25. Even though I rented a car for 63 consecutive days with no incidents and a clean driving record they still charged me a "young driver" fee of $25 per day. The last "day" they charged me the whole fee for one hour of rental because I was 5 minutes late returning it. I won't be coming back even when I'm over the age of 25.

Had a great experience

Comments about National Car Rental:

I had a great experience in renting a car from National Car Rental. The associates were very knowledgeable and helpful throughout the whole process. I was probably very annoying in the sense that I asked a ton of questions and the workers were very quick to answer and were never rude. One person even went out of the way to find out the answer to a question she did not know. When I got to the location where I had my reservation the checkout was quick and efficient. The car I had was very well maintained and I felt good riding in it like I had just bought a new car. There was a decent amount of selection at this particular location. When I dropped the car off the employees were just as helpful and pleasant with another quick transaction with multiple people caring about my time and helping out with the process. I will definitely rent another car with this company. I recommend them if they are near you.

• Vehicle Selection:

A reliable car rental compmany.

Comments about National Car Rental:

I rely on National car rentals almost primarily when travelling and making my rental car arrangements. I always manage to find a very cheap deal for a car rental when I need it. Their cars are always very clean and in great condition, I also find that they do not charge outrageous extra costs when I am in need of additional features such as booster or car seats, which really saves me extra cash as I am always travelling with smaller children. The last time that I used National's car rental services, I opted to purchase one of their insurance coverages for the week that I would have the car. I am so glad I did because I managed to get into a minor fender bender and the coverage came in so handy and saved me even more money than I would have had to shell out to cover damages. Their customer service is always friendly and over-the-top helpful in every single way too.

National Makes rental easy

Comments about National Car Rental:

I have been using National for many years as a business professional traveler for my company. National has services throughout the United States in many of the major airports in each state. I am part of their preferred membership program and enjoy the upgrades. My company has a partnership with National that makes me want to continue my relationship with them for my rental needs. I am very pleased when I reach my destination and see the green sign of National Car Rental.

Customer Service
National has decent customer service. I have been pleased time and time again with their claim and drop off personnel. The customer services personnel always are there when I need assistance or have questions that need to be addressed.

Vehicle Selection
National maintains and provides a wide variety of vehicles to rent. In addition, they maintain a high level of inventory for each type necessary for the business traveler.

National Car Rental Will Treat You Special

from Stockton, CA

Comments about National Car Rental:

I had good experiences with this car rental agency. They were friendly and professional to deal with. They have really good rates, and they made me feel comfortable. I was able to find car rental rates that fit my budget. They have a large selection of cars, which are clean and professional looking. I think it is great that I can pick up a car from one place, and drop it off at another place. They don't charge you for it either. I enjoy the special treatment I get because I joined Emerald Club. It makes me feel like I am rich because I get to pick any car I want anytime. I never have to wait in a long line either. I am a very busy person. I'm happy when I can get in and out of a place fast. The cars I have rented from National are always clean inside the car and out. There have been a few times when I had to pick a larger car then I wanted. I always insure the cars I rent, so it wasn't a big deal. I get really good deals when I rent from this place. It is one of my favorite places to rent cars from. You can get specials and weekend deals too. "National Car Rental" is worth trying.

Fast and Friendly

from Hartford, CT

Comments about National Car Rental:

I used National Car Rental for the first and only time on a business trip and was very pleased.

Everything was pre-booked since it was a business trip and all I had to do was hand over my company card and sign a few things and I was out the door. It took maybe ten minutes, tops.

They had no compact cars available on the lot so they upgraded me to a full sized car at no additional charge which was a pleasant surprise and very nice of them to do.

The return process was very easy and even though I didn't refill the tank (I was unfamiliar with the area and the car and didn't want to get into it) everything went smoothly. They just charged me for the gallons they had to replace. Since I only had the car about 36 hours and drove only a short way the gallons were minimal.

I was very pleased with the entire experience from the fast service to the friendly people and would use them again if I needed to.