Other Misc. Autos:

NAPA Heavy Duty Engine Cleaner & Degreaser

Cuts Grease Down to Nothing

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about NAPA Heavy Duty Engine Cleaner & Degreaser:

To look this up quickly in your area, the NAPA part # is MAC 6200.  A 15 oz. spray can in my area sells for a mere $2.89 + tax.  Don't laugh too hard when I tell you what I just used it for...  Cleaning the chain & gears on my [Raleigh Detour][1] bicycle!

A few squirts from this can of **NAPA Heavy Duty Engine Cleaner & Degreaser **and a small bag of shop towels later - the bicycle chain looked almost brand new.  You have to remember, this bicycle is now pushing 2,000 miles.  Road gunk & residue chain oil builds up over time.

Two things really get under my skin.  #1) A bike shop wants about $8.00 to $9.00 for a similar can of cleaner/degreaser.  #2) A bike shop also wants to charge about $30 to "professionally" do the same job I just did in under half an hour.  Do it yourself and $AVE.

Don't get me wrong...if there's something I feel I can't tackle myself, a bike shop (such as [Big Shark][2] ) will get my business.  But Karl, over at [A&M Cyclery][3] put this idea in my head.  Karl said just to find a good cleaner/degreaser, a bag-o-rags, flip the bike upside down & start cleaning.  Personally, I think Karl just doesn't like to get his hands greasy or dirty.  I'm not complaining though.  The man just saved me a few bucks.

Every bicycle will need routine maintenance.  Keeping everything cleaned & well lubricated will help it last a lot longer.  Bottom line: This stuff isn't just for automobile engines.  It will probably work just about anywhere grease & gunk have built up over time.

My total cost with a small bag of shop towels, this can of **NAPA Heavy Duty Engine Cleaner & Degreaser **and sales tax was only $7.41.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Raleigh-Detour-3-0-review-0bc02
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Big-Shark-Bicycle-Company-St-Louis-MO-review-9ef10
[3]: http://www.viewpoints.com/A-and-M-Cyclery-Saint-Louis-MO-review-57c66