Other E-commerce Websites:

My Fitness PalMyFitnessPal.com

Pros

Cons

MyFitnessPal helped me lose almost 30 lbs in less than 3 months

I started using MyFitnessPal in October and it has really changed my life.  I didn't have enough money to do a formal diet plan nor did I have insurance coverage for diet pills or visits to a nutritionist or specialist.  So I did a search and found MyFitnessPal.  The way it works is that you set a goal based on how much you want to lose, how fast you want to lose it, and how much exercise you're willing to do to get there.  It also requires that you put in your data, such as height, weight, and current activity level.  From there, it uses a formula to calculate how much your calorie, carb, sodium, protein, and fat intake can be per day for you to lose the weight at the rate you want.

I'll be honest - I cried a lot the first couple of weeks!  I was probably used to putting in about 2000 or more calories per day and I was knocked down to 1410.  Until you start counting calories with this thing, you don't know how much you're really wasting.  I was eating so much food.  I was trying to be smart by buying Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice - but I would eat two boxes at dinner instead of just one.  Where my dinners should have been around 400-500 calories they were easily 700.  Every time I had a glass of juice or wine with dinner, that was 50-150 more calories gone.  I had to make a huge life change, but it's easier to do when you are armed with information and you know how much you've eaten and how much you are supposed to have the rest of the day.

The database they have has thousands of foods or you can add your own if the one you need isn't there.  Once I started realizing how many calories and carbs were in the drinks and snacks I was eating, I knew I had to change my diet.  I started clipping coupons so I could afford to start buying high protein, high fiber foods - lots of protien bars, shakes, diet meals, and vegetables.  The key to staying full is eating the low calorie meals but adding tons of vegetables and some protein to them so that you are eating a good sized portion, but of healthy low calorie food.  I stopped buying fruit juice, wine, chips, and sweets entirely.  I also started paying attention to how many calories were in each serving.  Because food labels are based on a 2000 calorie diet, it can be hard to tell how many crackers or cookies or teaspoons of dressing are acceptable for you to stay on your diet.  MyFitnessPal eliminates the guesswork and tells you exactly how many calories you have left for the day so you can immediately see how many you can spend on different foods or drinks you may want.

This has been an extremely flexible diet plan for me.  On Atkins or South Beach, you are restricted in the foods you can have.  This would be extremely limiting for me because I am a vegetarian - I already don't eat a lot of the foods that are out there on the market.  This plan is more like Weight Watchers where you can eat whatever you want, as long as it is in moderation.  For example, I can eat regular pizza on this diet.  However, I have to be careful - If I eat a whole small pizza (from a chain restaurant, not Lean Cuisine) that's pretty much all I get for the day.  However, I can have a slice or two for lunch or dinner and still be on track.  Also similar to Weight Watchers, you get to eat more if you're more active.  When you add in the exercise you've done for the day, you get the calories you burned put back into your food diary for you to spend on whatever food or drink you want.

MyFitnessPal has some really cool features for people with Smart Phones.  I can't rate them since I have a crappy phone, but if you have an Apple or Android phone or iTouch then you can download the app and update your food diary on the go.  I'm assuming the database is available, so you can also see how much that burger you're thinking about picking up at McDonalds is going to cost you in calories for the day.

It is December.  Since October, I have lost 28 lbs.  I have not increased my activity level at all and I've gone from a 190 to a 162!  My calorie allotment has been reduced to 1260 (it will recalculate every time you weigh in at 10 fewer lbs).  It's been another big adjustment but I'm hoping it helps keep the weight loss rolling.  I still have more to lose but even what I've done so far is a huge accomplishment that I wouldn't have been able to achieve without MyFitnessPal.  If you are looking for life change and paid diets haven't worked for you, try this.  It takes discipline because no one is weighing you at meetings, but if you are motivated then it is more than worth it.

The Best Calorie Counter but won't use it anymore.

Myfitnesspal, known by those who frequent it as MFP, is easily the best calorie counter on the internet. I've been through dozens of others and none has an easier interface than Myfitnesspal Read complete review

My middle rating is first due to the food logging. MFP allows people to put their recipes into the database.You look up egg on myfitnesspal, you want a simple egg usually, scrambled or fried. As a result of them allowing the recipes (there is an option to not add the recipe but people choose to add it anyway) you'll get twelve or thirteen different types of, egg salad, for example. This is homemade and not the typical store bought salads that most could easily find and log. All recipes are different caloric and nutrient depending on who fixes it. Hundreds of users posting their recipes into the database, by forgetting to click the do not add button, clogs up the database and makes it far less accurate and more difficult to find the product you want. Add that to the already weak search system and it becomes bothersome to those who want to log and not shift through dozens upon dozens of recipes to find a simple food.

Another issue is, as I've mentioned above, the search system. If you type in egg, it should give you just that. Instead you get everything from egg salad to egg custard.

Finally my rating is due to the favoritism shown on the forums. Myfitnesspal has appointed other users as mods. I've seen time and time again the mods abusing their power. Deleting threads they don't agree with or throwing rules at people that haven't broke the very rules they posted.

As a result of the above, it's become much easier to just find a calculator online to get how many calories I need and record my food in a notebook. It really is a pity, because the site does work. It's brilliant, but with the way people are in the forums, the time consuming task of trying to find the proper foods through all the homemade recipes, it's not worth the trouble.

The ease of use would depend on how well you adapt to any logging website. Overall with a bit of clicking you'll get the idea of how to use it.

The site is free.

Very Basic, Clunky Search Engine; Great Idea, Poor Execution

from AZ, USA

Comments about My Fitness Pal MyFitnessPal.com:

My friends and family recommended this app, but I have found nothing but frustration out of the first few items I needed to enter. I found one of the cereals I like, eventually, and it showed all of the nutritional information automatically. Great! I thought...until there was no way to ADD it to My Foods! What good does it do to identify a food/brand/type, then don't let me add it to my foods I typically eat!?

Exercise entries are a joke, when searching for "curls" it finds Leg Curls, but cannot find Bicep Curls?!? That nonsense continues, and it doesn't have any estimate of calories burned, so there is no sense in adding it.

Fairly accurate but a great platform to keep motivated

Comments about My Fitness Pal MyFitnessPal.com:

Myfitnesspal has gotten very popular, in their website and phone app. You can connect to your facebook and update your progress regarding your weight loss or diet plans. The one great thing to do when losing weight is to gain support from others, through encouragement of friends or even forums. It is also a convenient way to track your calories by simply searching some key words. It is often copied from nutrition labels or restaurant websites.

It also calculates your daily calorie based on your age and weight which is identical to the calculated results of scientifically proved daily caloric intake equations. Although I must say that certain food items that are difficult to calculate (like one sushi roll) is definitely inaccurate. The amount of ingredients and calorie of the rice isn't identical. Fast-food items, however, are more accurate because they have been proportioned.

The Best Calorie Counter but won't use it anymore.

The site is free.

• Shipping and Returns:

The little app that could do fitness

from Chesterfield, VA

Comments about My Fitness Pal MyFitnessPal.com:

This is a little, but very effective, motivating and inspirational app for anyone who is interested in living a healthy lifestyle.

*It helps you keep track of your physical activities (workouts at home or the gym, walking, housework, etc) to calculate calories burned.

*It also has a dietary log for you to keep track of everything you eat.

*There is also a social aspect to it so you can get support and encouragement from others in the Myfitness pal community.

I have been using this app to help me keep track of the stats while dieting and exercising and it has made it that much easier to stick to my goals and see results. If you are thinking about starting a healthier lifestyle, definitely try it out!

The interface of the app is very simple and easy to navigate and use.

Product Selection
This app has a pretty well stocked selection of foods that you consume to obtain the nutritional and portion information. If you cannot find what you are searching for, you can easily add it and the nutrition facts yourself for others to have as a reference.

Product Pricing
This category doesn't apply to the app in question. But I will rate it as a 10 so the score isn't affected.

Customer Service

Shipping and Returns

• Shipping and Returns:

I use this website/app and love it

Comments about My Fitness Pal MyFitnessPal.com:

This website is very helpful in tracking your exercise and food intake. I like that it has a visual to tell you if you are getting to close to your max food intake or you are within reach of your exercise goal. I also like that it can track your water intake. This really allows an individual to see the full picture with regard to weight loss. Another great feature is that you can share your info with your friends for accountability. They can see your progress or lack there of and push you to meet your goals.

This website is very easy to you and navigate. Everything you need can be found on the start page after log in. The start page also gives a running total for the week so you know where you are with your food intake and exercise. This helps me to determine if I am no track or need to push myself more or need to re-evaluate my goals.

Product Selection
There aren't any products being sold, but the multiple options for promoting a healthier lifestyle are great.

Good Tracker, But You Have to Put in the Effort

from Hartford, CT

Comments about My Fitness Pal MyFitnessPal.com:

I started using this free program online mainly to track my food intake. I like that you can enter recipes and get nutritional information by serving. Once you've entered it, you can save it to use other days. There's various systems to help you find a way to reach your goals, either fitness, weight loss, or maintenance style. You have to feed it a lot of information to start, especially the recipes, but it gets easier after you have.

You can search other people's meals, too, even basic food items entered by other members are available for your use. You enter your activity as well and it calculates calories burned based on your stats to balance your food and show how your days' goals are coming along.

This is available via phone app and website and although the phone is convenient I prefer accessing it via my laptop.

It's a great way to track your day if you are watching your calories, or even trying to up your intake of something, as you can enter then check, vs. write down or remember. I haven't tried other sites to compare but I like this one a lot.

Myfitnesspal.com Great Site!!

from Denham Springs, LA

Comments about My Fitness Pal MyFitnessPal.com:

Myfitnesspal.com is the best free weight loss and calorie tracking sites available. I have been a member for several years and receive valuable insight into eating healthy. Myfitnesspal.com was created by a guy named Mike. Even as large as the site is today he stays active with members. Myfitnesspal.com has worked hard over the last several years to make sure members act and are treated respectfully. They monitor chat forums to help regulate internet trolling and advertising. The food database is one of the largest I have ever used and has many obscure foods and restaurants. The site allows you to join with friends or work on your own. It gives you a set number of calories to eat based on your weight goals. The site also provides educational emails on nutrition and fitness. I will say my only complaint are the advertisements along the home page. I know the site is free and this is the creators way of maintaining the site, but they can at times be offensive or irrelevant.

• Shipping and Returns:

Best fitness website on the web!

from Sneads Ferry, NC

Comments about My Fitness Pal MyFitnessPal.com:

I have tried numerous apps and websites for tracking diet and exercise but none of them can compare to MyFitnessPal.com! It is honestly the best one I have ever used and it is completely free to use!
It's very simple and convenient to log onto this website or app and enter in the food you eat and exercise you participate in each day. It gives me a lot of good guidelines for how many calories I should be consuming and how many I should be burning through exercise. So far I have lost 30 pounds since using MyFitnessPal.com and I hope to lose about 20 more pounds within the next year which is entirely possible because of this website. It is great at getting me motivated to exercise and eat right.
One of the best features I like about this website is how I can sync between the app and the website as well as sync my running app, Runtastic Pro, with the my fitness pal app and have it automatically logged into my journal! It's really fast, easy and convenient to use which is great because I'm a busy single mother.
I would highly recommend MyFitnessPal.com for anyone trying to be healthier, lose or maintain weight. It has worked wonders in achieving my personal weight loss goals!

Stay Healthy.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about My Fitness Pal MyFitnessPal.com:

I began a weight loss journey a few years ago and the doctor recommended that I joined the online community and used the website myfitnesspal.com. I joined up which was really easy to do and found that it offered me so many useful tools and all kinds of help with my weight loss, and all of this was completely free. This website has so many great options that are all aimed to help someone lose weight and stay healthy. You get to enter your own information about height, weight, fitness level, etc and then it customizes a food plan for you and tells you exactly how many calories you should eat to be able to lose the amount of weight you want to lose. It then has an area where you can log all of your food and keep your own food and exercise journal so that you are able to keep better track of it. You can weigh in and see a chart of how you are loosing weight which is a great motivational tool. There is an online community with this where you can talk to others and get information on weight loss and reach out to others who are also going through the same thing. They also have an online store where you can buy items that will aid in your weight loss, they have a great variety of these items and they are very competitively priced with fast shipping. They really are there to help you and their customer service is phenomenal.

• Shipping and Returns:

great community for weight loss and health goals

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about My Fitness Pal MyFitnessPal.com:

I recently lost 30 pounds, and myfitnesspal.com was a great help with that.

They allow you to track the foods and calories you are eating on their website. Which is great, because I would rather track it online then on paper. They even have a calorie counter app so you can track your calories on the go

They also have a section on their website for tracking the exercise you do, and the amount of calories that you burn. You just put your weight in, the exercise you did, and how long you did it for and you instantly know how many calories you burned for that day.

But my favorite part of myfitnesspal.com is the community section. where you can introduce yourself and meet new people. That will be supportive and help you along with your weight fitness goals. I can't tell you how many great people I've met from myfitnesspal.com and how many new friends I've made. You can ask questions you have on health and fitness, as well as share your progress, which is super helpful when you are trying to reach a goal.

Without myfitnesspal.com I don't think I would have been as successful at losing weight and tracking my exercise/what I was eating.

It's very easy to use. There are different tabs for whether you want to count your calories, count how many calories you've burned, read their blog, or talk to people in the community forum section.

Product Selection
From what I know myfitnesspal.com doesn't sell anything. So there is no product selection.

Product Pricing
I don't think they actual sell any products on myfitnesspal.com so I can't tell you about product pricing.

Customer Service
There is no actual customer service, but I've received a lot of help from other members about health and fitness and other questions that I've had. Everyone is super friendly on this site.

Shipping and Returns
No items to ship, nothing to buy.