Other Baby Foods:

Munchkin Mesh Feeder

Pros

Cons

Great way to get baby into solids

The Munchkin Mesh Feeder is a really good product, it gives you a good way to get really great nutrients from fresh foods to your baby and it also helps to get them into eating solid foods as well. There are a few minor issues with it but one of them is actually a good thing it's just kind of annoying. First off, it's really, really hard to get the mesh feeder to open up, which is a good thing though because you don't want your little one's to be able to open it up but you've just got to work a bit with it. The second minor issue I had with this mesh feeder was that it can sometimes be difficult to clean out, you have to make sure you get all of the food out of it right away or else it will be near impossible to get some foods out, especially banana.

Quality of Ingredients
This is a very high quality product, I have had one for all of my children so far and I plan to get one with my youngest as well. The product is very sturdy and will stand up to being repeatedly used and being thrown around and chewed on by your young one's.

Safety
This product is extremely safe, I wouldn't give it to my child if I didn't trust it, and it really does last, I've never had any part of one of these mesh feeders come apart or look really warn or mess up in any way. They seem very safe to me.

Neither of my kids liked this

I bought one of these 10 years ago when my son was a baby and he never really took to it, so it pretty much sat in a drawer until I eventually tossed it out. Zoom ahead 10 years and my daughter has now been born. I bought a Munchkin baby food mill and the **Munchkin Mesh Feeder **was included free. Since it was there I decided to give it another try. My daughter likes a lot of things that my son did not, the Munchkin Mesh Feeder, sadly, was not one of them. She would not eat from it at all.

After the failure, I was reminded why exactly I disliked this tool so much the first time around. Washing it is horrible! I put bananna in the mesh feeder, figuring that it woul be easily dispensed through the holes in the mesh. However it gets all mashed in the seems of the feeder. It's really quite difficult to get all the bananna out of the mesh. I do not have a dish washer, maybe a dishwasher would do a better job but I really doubt it.

As far as I'm concerned these are a waste of money. Cut up your kids fruit in bite size pieces. I think it's just as safe and you don't have to worry about making sure the seam of the thing is sanitized. Imagine all the nasty little germs hiding out in there. Yuck!

EDIT: I was at a friends house and my suspicions about the mesh were proved correct. She has a dishwasher and she had washed the feeder by hand, then put it through the dishwasher. Her daughter hadn't taken to this feeder either so when she was done washing it she tossed it in a drawer. She was cleaning out that drawer while we sat talking and when she pulled the feeder out I asked her to check out the seam. With a close look there was mold starting to form! Eww! It went promptly in the trash can.

Quality of Ingredients
my kids would never use it,so it's hard ot say

Safety
Yes it prevents choking I guess, but it really hard to make sure the whole net is sanitized including in the seam.

Amazing for teething!

Comments about Munchkin Mesh Feeder:

My son is now 9 months and he is teething. Teething, let me tell you, is horrible. I've tried everything. Wash clothes, clove oil, even out of despriteness tylenol. Nothing seemed to do it. I was recommened this product by two friends who have children. It works wonders. I put frozen fruit in it or even ice cubes. Its the only thing that stops the crying. And he LOVES it. The only issue I really have with the mesh is cleaning it out. I do wish it were a little easier. After I put a frozen banana in it and it gerts all mushy the mush is difficult to get out of the mesh. But overall I give it a 9. One less point for the cleaning part.

Quality of Ingredients
Nicely made, great idea. I love that it has a handle on it so its almost like a rattle. Its easy for my son to grab and chew on.

Safety
This is a great product. There is no way for my son to get the mesh open and he can't choke on it. Choking is often something I fear when it comes to toys and teethers.

I love these things!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Munchkin Mesh Feeder:

I was a big fan of these when my kids were little. The mesh feeder was a great solution to getting fresh fruits and vegetables into their little tummies. I will say that these are pretty messy. They are a little tricky to clean, but not too bad. I loved having the mesh feeder in the summer. It was so hot where I lived at that time. I could freeze a banana or other fruits and pop it in the feeder. It was like my baby was having an extra healthy popsicle. It worked great for the beginning stages of teething. I would recommend changing these out from time to time. They can get well used fast. I thought this product was worth the money. I would only use these at a high chair or outside though. It just gets really messy. It's a pretty decent price. I would say to give it a try if you haven't. It's a neat idea.

Quality of Ingredients
The quality of ingredients are perfect because you are putting in what you feel is healthiest for your baby. There are no added ingredients. It's just pure and natural foods.

Safety
These are pretty safe. The closure could probably be a little better. I just would watch them while they are eating it. I didn't have any problems in the area of safety though.

• Safety:

My Son prefers to use this as a teether

Comments about Munchkin Mesh Feeder:

My son loves his mesh feeder, but he would much rather just chew on the handle then try to eat anything out of it, it has gotten much more use that way. I think the design of the product leads you to want to keep the handle up rather then down to eat what is in the feeder. Also, while I love the concept of the feeder, in application it dose not work as well as hoped, chewing on the mesh bag just does not seem all that inviting, and ends up making a big mess when he does try. Usually when I give him the bag I end up holding it for him trying to entice him to eat what is in the bag, if he hold it himself he turns it upside down and chews on the handle and makes a big mess with whatever is in the bag.

Quality of Ingredients
Ingredients are what you put inside, you can put anything you want in there, as long as it is not to large.

Safety
I don't see any problems with the safety of this product. Nothing has been chewed off. It is a little awkward to close and open the top to put food in the mesh bag, but once it is closed I have never had a problem with it coming open on its own.

Fun but Finicky!

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Munchkin Mesh Feeder:

I was given a couple Munchkin Mesh Feeders by another mom whose little one had outgrown them. I admit they are a pain to clean because fruit gets pressed into every part of the mesh. The trick is to immediately empty and soak them after use, which is not fun. My least favorite chore is inverting the little cloth mesh sack an scraping it clean with my finger under running water before soaking it. I wouldn't even bother with them if my daughter didn't take so much enjoyment out of their use. Her face is pure joy when she sinks her drool gums into a piece of nectarine or peach. She absolutely adores it. In fact, it keeps her busy for hours! I also like to put an Ice Cube in the Munchkin Mesh Feeder for teething. The coolness soothes her gums, the melting water is harmlessly messy (and babies love messy!) and the baby can't choke on hard ice thanks to the mesh pouch. A great invention, really.

• Safety:

Munchkin Mesh Feeders are a MUST for teething babies.

from Wake Forest, NC

Comments about Munchkin Mesh Feeder:

I didn't much like the Munchkin Mesh Feeders at first because they seemed to make a mess, and I didn't really feel my daughter was getting much of the fruit other than the juice. However, once she started teething, I completely changed my mind. I filled the Munchkin Mesh Feeder with frozen strawberries or blueberries (you can use any frozen fruit or vegetable that your child prefers), and gave it to my daughter to gnaw on. She definitely preferred this over other teething options because it had her favorite berry flavor. I liked it because I could give it to her, she could hold it and the crying would stop. Just be sure to put an apron or bib on your child first as it is a bit messy; but to help ease the pain of teething it is well worth any mess. I have bought these for several friends' children as I think it is a definite MUST HAVE item for whenever your child is teething.

• Safety:

I am not crazy about this product.

Comments about Munchkin Mesh Feeder:

When I first saw this product I was thrilled. I was excited that I would beable to introduce my baby to solid foods without having to worry about my little one choking. The first thing I tried in it was strawberries. My baby loved it! I just knew that we would get a ton of use out of it. After use I put it in the dishwasher and forgot about it. Then next day when I u loaded it I realized that it was still a mess, so I rinsed it off a bit and put it back in to wash again. To make a long story short, after 3 washes it was still disgusting. I tried cleaning it by hand but the bits of strawberry were impossible to get out. I tossed it out immediately afterwards. I just can't imagine that after anyone has this problem that they would continue using it. Keeping baby clean and free of germs is my number one priority and this feeder didn't work for me!

Quality of Ingredients
I think it is a very solid feeder, however the mesh is just impossible to work with.

Safety
The reason I bought this in the first place was because it seemed so safe, and it is. The top snaps shut making it almost impossible for baby to get large pieces and the mesh is so fine that all the really are able to get is a puréed fruit or veggie.

Great way to get baby into solids

• Safety:

Pleased at first but then dissapointed

Comments about Munchkin Mesh Feeder:

I was so happy when I first purchased the Munchkin Mesh Feeder for my baby. Safety is very important in my home and for my baby. The idea of the mesh feeder is genius because it allows your baby to try new foods and textures with reduced risk of choking. It has a handle which is perfect for small hands that are learning to grasp and hold objects. The very first time I allowed my baby to use the Munchkin Mesh Feeder we put a few pieces of banana in it. The feeder and my baby quickly became a sticky mess. I wasn't terribly bothered by this, however I decided to only allow eating with the mesh feeder at home. The problems started when I attempted to clean the feeder. The banana was practically impossible to get out of the mesh. Even when I thought the mesh was completely cleaned, I still kept finding more banana. I promptly threw the unit away and purchased another one. This time I attempted to wash it in the dishwasher. The mesh came out discolored and still had food particles in it. With two failed attempts at cleaning the Munchkin Mesh Feeder, I finally gave up and quit using the product. I would not recommend the product to anyone.

Good Idea of a Product

from reading pa

Comments about Munchkin Mesh Feeder:

I received this item as a gift with my first born. This was a great product to put in fresh fruits that he was not yet ready to eat. I would put strawberries, oranges etc in it and he would just sit in his highchair for long periods of times putting it in his mouth. There were pros and cons about this. The pros was that it did take him awhile to get all the juice of the fruit out and yet kept him entertained at the same time. A con was I did not feel the netting of the product held up very well. It always seemed dirty after the first use even after cleaning it. Also once he learned how to really chew he started to chew on the netting. I found this product to be good to help entertain him and teach him the concept of eating.

Quality of Ingredients
You get to pick whatever ingredients that you want to put in in this product. They can be as fresh as you can find.

Safety
I did not really like the netting part of it. After away it started to fray and made me nervous that he was going to bite a hole in it and choke on whatever I had put inside.

• Safety:

The Munchkin Mesh Feeder has it's ups and downs.

from Fort Worth, Texas

Comments about Munchkin Mesh Feeder:

Overall I was greatly satisfied with the Munchkin Mesh Feeder. I received three of them as gifts at my baby shower for my daughter 8 years ago. I remember getting them and thinking what in the world do I do with these. Then my sister-n-law explained them to me and although I couldn't use them right away but when my daughter turned 4 months old and I started her on baby food these were perfect. I would fill them with any type of baby food and pureed fruit. She loved them. The down side to using these are the mess. They are kind of messy during the first months of using them. I found that once my baby was old enough to control her mobility she was able to hold these better and the mess became less. Last year I was out looking for a baby shower gift for a friend and I saw these and picked her up a few. She loves them as well. These are feeders that you can depend on.

Safety
I found these Munchkin Mesh Feeders to be extremely safe for my baby. They slowly feed my baby the right amount of food and they are choke free. I do not have to be concerned about my baby choking and gagging while using these Munchkin Mesh Feeders.