3.7

Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder

3.7

Pros

Cons

best way to start your teething baby on fresh food

This was originally a gift at received at my baby shower, well before the birth of my daughter. So, at first, it was hidden away with the other gifts that couldn't be used right away, like bath toys and teething rings. One day, when Ana was about 6 months old, and in her second teething stage, she was screaming away, and I realized that none of the teethers were frozen or even cold! I dug this Munchkin feeder from her drawers and put a frozen strawberry in it--never saw a happier baby! She knawed away on that same strawberry for hours. It dodn't matter when it lost its freeze; the flavor was so interesting to her she couldn't stop! We began to fedd her many other types of food using this device. Where there was no other way for Ana to try a new food, this feeder was there. It's certainly easier than pureeing everything. The only pitfall to its design is that if left uncleaned for a day or more, getting the little chunks of food out of the netting can be much more difficult. So, my advice is to clean it as soon as your baby is done with it, and it can give him so many more food options!

Impossible to Clean!

The munchkin fresh food feeder idea is great, however it leaves a lot to be desired.  It would be useful if they could invent disposable mesh bags or something.  We fed my child a banana in one of these.  After that one use, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the banana out of every crack and crevice and hole.  We ended up just having to throw it away.  What a waste!  It does the job though in making sure the pieces are small enough for the baby.  Another downfall is baby doesn't always hold onto the handle, making it fun, even a game, to squish whatever is in the sack.  HUGE mess maker.  If you don't mind your child making a huge mess and throwing away this product after just one use, then maybe you'll find it to be a good product.  I prefer to just slice or puree my child's food rather than waste my money on this contraption that is only good for one use.  I wouldn't recommend it to others at all.

Not worth the hassle!

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

I bought two of these self feeders for my 7 month old daughter as she is not taking to teeth very happily. I figured where she loves food, especially 'adult' food, these would work wonders on her gums while also satisfying her need to pick off my plate. Our first use was amazing. I put a big piece of banana in them and let her go to town. She loved it so much that I couldn't wait to keep using these. One big problem after the intial use though...there is no way to clean these mesh bags! After I spent hours soaking, picking with my fingers and toothpicks, and scrubbing with everything from the bottle brush to the nipple brush, I gave up. Unfortunately after one use they become a throw away item. Do not buy unless you have the money to throw away. Great concept for babies but very bad execution of final product.

Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder not a must have

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

I purchased the Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder two weeks ago for my six-month-old baby girl to try. I have a five year old son and did not have one with him but thought for my second baby I might like this and use it. So far, I have tried to let her use it once and she didn't really like it. I put a piece of an apple in it to see if she would munch on it, and she did not know what to do with it. I think after a little practice she may have a better idea of what to do. The mesh is stiff which surprised me. I thought it may be a little bit more supple, but maybe that is a safety feature. The Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder was well made and I really like that it can go in the dishwasher. I washed mine two days ago and did not have any problems with it. I think it may be better to start withi a softer fruit like a banana or a very ripe peach for a younger baby to get the hang of. I'm not giving up on it yet. But it is not a must have product for your baby.

Great for Babies

from South Saint Paul, MN

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

I have to agree with a lot of the reviews. This is very hard to clean. But I have come to the conclusion, for the price its worth it. You just use it a few times then throw it away. And use a new one. Babies love it. You can use it when they are very young, bananas are great when they are only 3-4 months old.

A must have for moms with a teething baby!

from Visalia, CA

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

This is a product I give as a gift at every baby shower I attend.  It is easier to open than other mesh teether products on the market (two other brands I know of), washes easily in the dishwasher, and has been a life saver many times.  When our daughter started teething, we put an ice cube in it for our daughter to gnaw/suck on.  When she started solid foods we put slices of fresh fruit, sometimes frozen.  She loved this.  She got to eat great fresh fruit and I didn't have to worry about her choking.  I made my own baby food, but it could be tough to travel with.  When at restaurants we just took a clean one with us and filled it with fruit or veggies for her to eat instead of the stuff in the jar.

Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder is nice, but not a must-have item

from Mansfield, OH

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

I got the Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder when my daughter was about 7 or 8 months old to have her start trying to eat "real" solids. It seems liked a nice concept and they are certainly attractive since they are so bright and colorful. She did ok with the feeder, but I can honestly say it wasn't something that I liked so well that I used it often. Depending on what food I put in it-it was VERY hard to clean. (Some foods weren't as bad, but foods that mushed--like bananas--were very difficult to clean out). When my daughter started teething I put ice cubes in the net so she could safely chew on the ice. Often times she would turn it around and chew on the handle (as it has a bit of a rubbery surface that would be nice for chewing). All in all this is a nice product, but not one that I would tell parents to run out and grab. If you happen to come across one at a good price, grab it, but otherwise, just do what our parents did and give your child a solid food and keep a close eye on him/her. :)

Not loving it

from West Fargo, ND

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

I am a mother to four children and have tried two different brands of these mesh feeders and didn't find much use for either of them. The first one we tried was the Baby Safe Feeder, which is a bit different from this one in that it's parts are screwed together rather than snapped together. I prefer the screw together design since it seems to be easier to fill and easier to clean. And the mesh bags for that brand are white, which can be a disadvantage because they easily get stained by foods such as carrots or bananas. I've tried these mesh feeders with three of my babies, and none of them liked them at all. They didn't seem to like the texture or feeling of chewing on the bag, no matter what food was inside of it. They would all get frustrated and lose interest very quickly, and none of them ever used it for more than a couple minutes at a time. Now that baby #4 is 7 months old, I will probably pull it out and try with her, but I don't have high hopes that it will get much use!

great for trying new foods without mommy worries

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

I wish I had found this teether/feeder sooner! We bought it during the summer as a way for my 7 month old to enjoy summer fruits without having to worry about her choking. It worked great for us, and even doubled as a teething pain relief tool when we put frozen fruits in the little bag. The frozen stuff was also good for keeping her satisfied longer. Sometimes when we put fresh items in the bag, she gnawed the flavor out of them too quickly and needed more right away. Cleaning the feeder is a bit of a pain, but no more difficult than cleaning out a baby bottle. Honestly, cleaning just about any baby food item is a pain so don't let that stop you from buying the feeders. The handle is a bonus too, as it makes it easier for little hands to hold on to. I wish that we would have found out about these feeders sooner because by the time we bought it, our daughter was ready to much on the fruits on her own so we didn't use them that long.

great product!

from Valrico, FL

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

I have used the Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder with all three of my children. I got one as a gift from my mother-in-law when I was pregnant for my first child and she said it was similar to one she used raising her four boys. She said it was a priceless product that she relied on for safety and sanity! She was right! I put grapes or any other small pieces of fruit in this feeder and let my little ones suck and chew until their hearts were content! It was a great way to keep my little ones busy, especially when it came to the third and it seemed I couldn't keep as close an eye on her as I would have liked! This way I knew she was not going to choke or eat any part of the fruit that she was too little to eat. The Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder has a tight clasp so that a baby cannot get it open by themself, but unlike other products I have tried, it wasn't too hard for me to open. I really liked this product when my babies were little!

A Fun First-Fruit helper...

from Warren, OH

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

This Munchkin Fresh Food Eater was a fun item to introduce my little boy to soem of his first fruits & veggies. We tried basic things like mandarin oranges, cherries, grapes, etc... and he loved the sweet juice, although his little lips would pucker at the first couple of tastes. It does make a mess, because basically all the pulp is kept inside and the juice comes out when they suck on it. Mine were a little hard to unclasp to place the fruit inside, but once you got it open, it was easy to use. The netting flips inside out easily to clean, and washes up great, ready for the next use. We didn't use these a lot, but the times we did it was a lot of fun. I'm sure how much you use it depends on the home and the baby. My son started picking up foods when he was 6 months old (like cheeries, puffs, etc...) so we started offering him small pieces of steamed veggies and fruits, which he loves even now, and therefore didn't use the net feeder unless it was something that couldn't be cut up into little pieces easily.

Great for teething babies, and preventing choking

from Greencastle, IN

Comments about Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder:

I bought a pair of fresh food feeders for my first baby. I LOVED the idea of being able to introduce new foods and flavors to him without having to worry about him choking. He was about 4 months old the first time I gave him the feeder to try. I put frozen peach slices in it, because I thought the cold would sooth his gums since he was teething. He loved "eating" the peaches, but boy was it a messy process! Be prepared to clean up a slimy, slobbery mess when you use the fresh food feeder. Since your baby can only gnaw and suck on the food, or makes it extra messy, but it does prevent choking. My son found it VERY entertaining, and two peach slices kept him entertained for almost 30 minutes. I later tried it with peas, and other fruits and veggies, and he always enjoyed it, but I got sick of cleaning up the mess when he was finished. It's not something you want to use when you're away from the house, because the easiest way to use it, is to strip baby down to a diaper, then bathe him afterward. All in all, a neat tool to ease teething pain, and introduce new foods, but depending on how busy you are, it might be more work than it's worth!