Other Cold & Flu Medicines:

Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant

Pros

Cons

Mucinex DM Extra Strength: Calms the cough, clears my chest

I'm not particularly susceptible to colds, but once I have one, it invariably invades my sinuses and my chest.  And, that brings us to now.

Maybe it was that...Read complete review

Maybe it was that flight back from LaGuardia last weekend.  Spirit Air sure knows how to pack the plane.  A couple of days later I felt the classic symptoms of a summer cold.  I felt achy, warm and glassy eyed.  I hate this feeling.  And, I knew that while the mild fever would pass in a day or two, I would soon find this cold settling in my sinuses and lungs.

By Wednesday morning my sinuses were stuffed and my  chest congested.  Coughing had kept me up most of the previous night, so I went right to my medicine cabinet and found the **Mucinex DM Expectorant and Nasal Decongestant - Maximum Strength.**

**Mucinex DM Expectorant and Nasal Decongestant**

For the last couple of years this has been my "go to" OTC med for dealing with the misery of the hacking cough and full chest.

**Mucinex DM Expectorant and Nasal Decongestant **combines the cough suppressant, Dextromethorphan HBr (60mg) with the expectorant, Guaifenisen (1200mg) in an extended release formulation.

**How it Works**

Taken twice a day, these very large pills help to calm, but not eliminate my cough.  Coughing is important.  That's how we eliminate the junk we have in our lungs and bronchial tubes.  That's where the Guaifenisen comes in.  Derived from the guaiac tree, this natural expectorant has been used by Native Americans for hundreds of years.

Essentially, Guaifenisen works by attracting moisture to the phlegm and mucous trapped in the repiratory system making it easier to expel when coughing.  For me that makes the difference between a couple of days of discomfort or a week or more of uncontrolled hacking and sleepless nights.

I generally find that I begin to feel relief within a couple of hours of taking the medication.  Usually I start my course a couple of hours before bedtime.  My coughing diminishes to a point that I don't find myself awake all night but apparently the congestion in my chest seems to free itself.

During the day, I'm more aware of the amount of phlegm my coughing produces.  It may not be pretty, but it's awfully effective at minimizing the amount of time that I feel congested.

**Side Effects**

This OTC medication is meant to take with at least a full glass of water.  Personally, I suffer no side effects at all other than I find the taste of this medication appalling.  For some it may cause nausea (not too uncommon) and if taken to excess can promote kidney stones (uncommon).

**My Viewpoint**

I'm like most men.  I'm pretty good at suffering through most household accidents.  Gash a hand?  No problem.  But the common cold makes me into a whining pathetic soul.  Just ask Veronica about that. **Mucinex DM Expectorant and Nasal Decongestant** provides me with quick relief from the secondary symptoms of a cold.  A side benefit is it allows the lovely Veronica to sleep better as well.

I highly recommend **Mucinex DM Expectorant and Nasal Decongestant.**

HORRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS

This is POISON! I'm 15 years old and about 150 pounds and 5'7". I took a Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Extended Release tablet in the morning (about 8:30 a.m.) because I felt chest congestions. I decided to take Mucinex because my dad's taken it with no side effects and I've heard very positive reviews of it. I took the tablet with a glass of water. 1 hour past and I felt the same. 2 hours past and my congestion started to ease up. 3 hours past... I was with my dad to visit my grandma. We were walking back to the car and that's when it hit me. I was lightheaded, extremely dizzy, shaky, shortness of breath, chest tightness, my muscles were very tense (made me think I was having a seizure, but after I was in my right-state-of-mind, I realized it wasn't that severe), hyperventilating, my heart was racing, my ears were ringing, I was numb in my legs, my abdomen had a warm sensation... Basically, I couldn't stand for about 5 minutes and had to sit down. I seriously thought I was dying or having a heart attack. (I do think Mucinex caused me to have a panic attack since I thought I was dying). We got in the van. Tremors started. My dad asked if I was okay and he asked if I needed to go to a hospital. I said yes (not thinking). I hate hospitals so we went to a gas station restroom where I threw up and became even more dizzier. Rushed home after that, I laid down, listened to some music for about an hour and that helped the more severe symptoms (extreme dizziness, shortness of breath, hyperventilating..etc.) but my heart was still racing, I couldn't stand up from laying down (I fainted once and fell), jittery, and I seemed to be displaced from my body. It was weird. I do NOT recommend this product. Side effects are too severe. Back to Tylenol Cold for me!

Amazing stuff

from Utah

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

Used to use Great Value cold medications as well as the regular Mucinex expectorant. But more recently I have switched to this particular expectorant and cough suppression, and it is the best one I have used, and I plan to keep using it.

Congestion Relief
This product does as good of a job on congestion relief as the regular Mucinex expectorant.

Chest Congestion Relief
I don't get chest congestion very often, but this Mucinex clears it up quickly when I do get it.

Cough Suppression
Cough suppression is the main reason I like this cold medicine better than others. When I get a cold, my throat often gets very sensitive, especially to the cold air. So it can be easy for me to start coughing and have trouble stopping, even long after the other symptoms of the cold have gone away. But this product helps soothe the throat and suppress the cough, nearly eliminating this cold symptom completely. Combined with the expectorant, this product helps drastically reduce the two main symptoms of colds from which I suffer.

• Cough Suppression:

One of the only things that helps relieve my deep cough

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

I love Mucinex. It is one of the few over the counter products that I find makes a real difference in shortening the amount of time (and overall general amount of) chest congestion. When I take Mucinex, my chest congestion goes away considerably more quickly than if I don't take it. It works quickly and I don't have any side effects that make me groggy or feel otherwise off because of taking it.

Congestion Relief
Mucinex is great at providing both sinus/nasal congestion and overall chest congestion. I usually feel relief within 20 minutes of taking it.

Chest Congestion Relief
This is one of the few prodcuts I've tried that provides pretty quick relief. I feel better shortly after taking it, and have a considerable amount of relief about a day or two after taking it.

Cough Suppression
This is one of the few over the counter medications that makes a dent in my nasty cough once it gets into my chest. It breaks up the congestion never fully letting it settle. But when I do have congestion, this keeps my cough at bay.

Awesome!

from MI

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

I think this stuff is amazing. I could leave it at that, but I'll say more!

Mucinex DM Maximum Strength expectorant and cough suppressant it probably one of my favorite products when I have a truly terrible cough that just won't go away. I'm not sure how this stuff works, but you take it and it magically loosens up whatever crud is in your lungs and allows you to clear it out, making for a less painful and congested cough. On that same note, it also manages to help with the excessive coughing, so the coughs you do have, are productive ones.

My husband first turned me onto this product years ago, and I was hesitant but gave it a try when I had a really painful, congested chest cold - and surprisingly, this helped. I am now convinced of the benefits of this product and will go to it the next time I have a really awful cold.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It doesn't necessarily relieve the aches and pains associated with a chest cold or flu, but it does alleviate the pain of a tight, congested cough.

Great for chest congestion

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

I have used this a few times when I have really bad chest congestion that just will not go away. It helps when you have a really bad cough to. When I take this medicine it helps to break up the congestion and I usually have phlegm that gets broken down and coughed up and spit out. It does help with any pain you may have in your chest as well from all of the coughing and congestion. I usually take this medicine for a few days or longer to help clear all of the congestion and coughing I have. I am very happy with this medication and would highly recommend it to anyone that has chest congestion or a bad cough that you cannot get rid of.

Congestion Relief
Great for congestion that won't go away after a cold or flu you may have had.

Chest Congestion Relief
Great chest congestion medication, especially when you have a lingering congestion that just won't go away.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It help relieve any pain you may have from coughing or chest congestion.

Cough Suppression
Works great to help relieve coughing.

• Cough Suppression:

By far my go to medication for cough

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

Mucinex DM Maximum strength expectorant and cough suppressant is by far the best medication to take when your feeling sick with congestion and cough. One thing I love about this particular product is that you can purchase it almost anywhere. I can typically purchase it from the grocery or drugstore. This makes it very convenient to purchase! I also adore how soon I feel better after taking this particular medication. I typically feel better after thirty minutes after taking this medication. The only downside of this particular medication is the cost. It is a bit more expensive than the competing brands but it is worth the extra money. It really worked for me!

Congestion Relief
The congestion relief is wonderful!

Chest Congestion Relief
This particular medication really relieves chest congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Great for relief of aches and pains.

Cough Suppression
This particular medication really and truly works wonders when it comes to cough suppression.

• Cough Suppression:

Great product if you are congested!

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant should be an essential part of your medicine cabinet if you experience significant congestion when you have a cold. There are generic forms of this product but they do not work nearly as well as the Mucinex brand. I take this product right after I realize I have come in contact with the virus. It does a fantastic job at helping to suppress my cough and to help with the significant drainage I experience while the virus is attacking my immune system. I take this product in the morning and I am able to function fairly well throughout the whole day. I also find that it suppresses my cough and minimizes drainage while I am sleeping. Consistent use is key with this Mucinex product. I highly recommend this product. It will make getting through cough and cold season a much easier process. It is affordable and effective!

• Cough Suppression:

Works great but made me sick

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

My other medications were not relieving my mucus at all so my doctor recommended Mucinex DM Expectorant. It worked pretty well but I've come to find that anything that says DM on it makes me throw up quite often. That experience definitely was not pleasant to deal with but the expectorant did what it was expected to do. After a few days I was able to cough up everything that was in my throat and lungs and aside from the vomiting I was starting to feel a bit better. It did take a few days to clear up the congestion and I wound up with some very sore muscles from coughing everything up, but the benefits of throat soothing and cough suppression happened pretty quickly. This medication was excessively expensive which to me made it almost not worth it. I would not recommend this for children as it is some pretty intense stuff, instead i would find a less intense expectorant that DOES NOT say DM on it.

A very good product!

from Oakwood Vlg., OH

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

The last time I had a cold I bought Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant and I was very pleased with it's effectiveness. It relieved my coughing, my chest congestion and helped me sleep much better. I can honestly say that I think that this product also helped my cold to go away faster as well. This product does not make me drowsy nor does it effect my reflexes as some cold medicines have.

Congestion Relief
It helped my relieve my coughing and when I did cough it was a very productive cough that allowed me to eliminate excess cold related phlegm.

Chest Congestion Relief
This product relieved my symptoms of chest congestion rapidly, then it eliminated it altogether.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant gave me relief from my cold related aches and pains.

Cough Suppression
Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant is a very effective product for cough suppression.

Power Punch!

from Portland, TX

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant packs a powerful punch when it comes to getting healthier quickly. This product is a little more expensive than your typical cough suppressant but the price is worth the relief you receive. It is instant and it is effective. I have used this product many times before it expires (I get sick a lot) and it is definitely my go-to drug. The relief this product gives you is just as good as a prescription from the doctor, if not better. It works within an hour and it lasts 12 hours. This product clearly states that you must drink a full glass of water when you take it, so that the product is dissolve properly and not upset your stomach.
It is also packaged in plastic which can be broken apart for each individual use. There is no doubt that this product has saved me a lot of money on doctors visits and has saved me a lot of time!

• Cough Suppression:

Makes a spring cold bearable

Comments about Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant:

I got a nasty chest cold while on vacation, and I really needed something to relieve my congestion and reduce my coughing so I could sleep. At the advice of the hotel staff, I headed to a local drugstore, where the pharmacist suggested Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant. I gave it a try and was pleased to find that, although I was coughing less, I was still able to expel phlegm and clear my airways. After a couple days, I was able to back to thank the pharmacist for her good advice.

Congestion Relief
Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant helped me clear my throat and lungs, which was great. If I had had much nasal congestion, though, I probably would have chosen a different Mucinex product.

Chest Congestion Relief
The main benefit of Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant is that it helped me cough more productively, so I coughed less often but get more mucus out when I do.

Relief of Aches & Pains
The only way that Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant really helped relieve my aches and pains is that I coughed less, so my chest was less sore.

Cough Suppression
Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Expectorant & Cough Suppressant suppressed my hacking cough and left only the occasional productive one.