Other Cold & Flu Medicines:

Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant

Pros

Cons

• Cough Suppression:

Kicks the snot out of other decongestants

I think I may have the world's worst Spring sinus problem.

I think I may have the world's worst Spring sinus problem.

One of my step-daughters recommended Mucinex D during one of the worst bouts of sinus congestion I've ever had. Nothing seemed to help, until my husband came home from the store with this product. I popped one immediately (there's something to be said for desperation) and nearly as immediately, I was breathing clearly again.

Though I count on Mucinex D to take me through the worst of my misery, this is a product you really don't want to take late at night if you can avoid it. Anyone sensitive to "may cause sleeplessness or nervousness" cautions, need heed them as well with Mucinex D. Generally I will take one early in the morning, or at least early in the afternoon. It's effects are quite long lasting.

There is only one real drawback with the product. It's necessary to show one's identification at the pharmacy in order to purchase Mucinex D, due to the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005, which monitors the sale of pseudoepedrine to the public. It does tend to make one feel a bit like a criminal to have to go to this length to get Mucinex D, but *it's worth the trouble*. An additional active ingredient is Guiafenisin, used for congestion and also as an expectorant, and it is this key player which defines it from quite many other popular OTC sinus medications.

I'm symptom free this Spring because of Mucinex D, so obviously it gets a trillion stars from me above what I can give it here!

Wow! I Feel Like My Head's Been Sucked Dry

The Mucinex commercials are always good for a laugh, but this product is no joke. I suffer from chronic post-nasal drip (particularly at night) and periodic sinus congestion. Normally I use original Sudafed to keep my passages clear at night, but when I saw an ad for Mucinex D, I decided to give it a try.

The instructions said to take two pills with a full glass of water. I decided to play it safe and start out with just one pill to see how it affected me. Thank goodness I didn't take the full dose.

Within several minutes I could feel it working--I was breathing a little easier and the congestion was easing up. Before the 1st hour was up, I started to feel like I was slowly drying up from the inside. Soon, even my eyeballs started to feel dry and bulgy. When I should have been drifting off to sleep, I was instead WIDE AWAKE staring at the ceiling on high alert, feeling like the contents of my head had been sucked dry.

I didn't get much sleep that night and the 12-hour effects lasted well into the next day. I had to use some moisturizing eye drops to combat the dry-eye sensation and I drank copious amounts of water to rebalance my hydration. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had taken the full dose!

Congestion Relief
Yes, Mucinex D absolutely does what it claims--relieves sinus congestion and post nasal drip. I give it 5 stars for effectiveness, but subtract 2 stars for side effects.

Maybe they'll come out with a nighttime formula for those of us who are kept awake by the "jittery, excitable" side effects. My advice would be to use it during the day, and start with one pill to see how it works for you. There are plenty of cautions on the package, so be sure to read them carefully before you proceed.

Works well for colds/flus

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant is one of the better medications for coughs, colds, and flues. There are not very many medications that can treat almost all of the symptoms together and effectively. Most suppress coughs, which in turn makes the phlegm build up and cause more problems in the sinuses, nasal cavities, stomach, and lungs because there is too much junk clogging everything up.

Chest Congestion Relief
This medication does an amazing job of alleviating the chest congestion that occurs during a cold or a flu. It does this by making the coughs more effective and productive so that they can clear out the the lungs.

Cough Suppression
This medication does a terrible job of suppressing coughs, but that is because the purpose of the medication is the opposite of cough suppression. The idea behind this medication is that you cough enough so that you can cough out a lot of the mucous that builds up in your chest - that is why it is called an expectorant.

• Cough Suppression:

Mucinex D is the product use for my allergy symptoms.

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

I suffer from allergies that keep my nose congested most of the time. My allergist recommended Mucinex D and I have been taking it for awhile. It really helps. Mucinex D does have a tendency to keep me awake so I don't take it close to bedtime. In the evening I take plain Mucinex without the decongestant.

Congestion Relief
Congestion relief is the main reason that I take Mucinex. Since I have been taking it I have been able to breathe better. My congestion can get so bad that I suffer from dizziness. Since I have been taking the Mucinex I have had no problems with being dizzy. It is a little pricey, but it works really well. The store brands sometimes have you take twice as much so I don't feel that they save me any money.

Chest Congestion Relief
I had a problem with chest congestion from pneumonia last year and the Mucinex D did help.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I tend to take Advil when I have a cold so I am not sure about how well it helps with aches and pains.

Cough Suppression
I use prescription cough medicine for my cough so I am not sure how Mucinex D works with a cough.

The strongest form of Mucinex

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

This stuff is incredible. This is the strongest form of this brand that I have taken. This medicine is actually kept behind the counter at the pharmacy. You cannot purchase it without talking with the pharmacist. It is very powerful and can last up to 12 hours in your system. It works really well to relieve chest congestion and sinus pressure. This stuff really works well. It is what my doctor recommended to relieve really bad chest congestion. It helps get rid of excess mucus and clear everything out of you. This is a great medication for anyone suffering from any kind of congestion.

Congestion Relief
I notice more of a benefit in my chest than my sinus pressure. It does help relieve sinus pressure but I notice more of an impact on my chest congestion.

Chest Congestion Relief
This does a great job at breaking up all the junk in your chest and relieving chest congestion symptoms.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I usually take a pain reliever with this medication in order to treat aches and pains.

Cough Suppression
I think this makes you cough more because it breaks up all the mucus. It helps get it all out though.

Mucinex D is a great Chest Decongestant

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

Mucinex D is designed to relieve your chests congestion and allow you expel more mucous when you cough. The decongestant part of the Mucinex is designed to relieve your stuffy nose, hollow head, and all of the other stuffy symptoms that people experience with a cold. I use it at home for my family. I recommend it to my friends and the hospital where I work as a Registered Nurse uses it for their patients. So in my opinion this product is Doctor recommended.

Congestion Relief
I take the Mucinex D every twelve hours and it really helps me to feel better. I can breath easier and bring up more stuff when I cough. I truly believe that I suffer less days with a cold due to Mucinex. When I start feeling a cold I take the Mucinex and often I am feeling better more quickly than my peers.

Chest Congestion Relief
I bring up more secretions with the help of Mucinex.

Relief of Aches & Pains
This product does not contain and fever or pain relievers.

Cough Suppression
It is not designed as a cough suppressant.

A Pretty Solid Means of Virus Attack

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

Chest colds are the hardest colds to deal with. Days; weeks; and sometimes; for the unfortunate ones, months pass before they are cleared up completely. Furthermore; when your chest gets too clogged, you cannot expel all the mucous from your lungs. Guess what? This makes the cold last longer.

Other then a trip to the doctors; and a prescription inhaler, an expectorant is your only option. Luckily, Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant is available. As an extra added bonus, this stuff will help clear up your sinuses as well. This product isn't cheap, but it will cost you less than a doctor's visit.

Mucinex aids in breaking free the mucous stuck in your chest. Within thirty minutes, your will be coughing it up, and spitting it out. At first; it seems like you are coughing more; but, this is a good thing. You need to flush your lungs of viral invaders to ease your symptoms. When your lungs do clear up a bit, this product is a decent cough suppressant. A chest cold will run it's course no matter what you do, but Mucinex makes it an easier time. The 12 hour duration listed is somewhat inaccurate; more like 10, but that's still pretty good.

Mucinex D is a highly effective nasal decongestant. The reason for this is simple; it contains real pseudoephedrine. Because of its illegal use, pseudoephedrine was pulled from nasal decongestant products. This turned out to be a shame, for the newer drugs are not as effective.

I'm not sure this is the case everywhere, but Mucinex D is only available behind the counter in a pharmacy where I live. You don't need a prescription, but they will check your ID and make you sign; which will prevent you from purchasing more until the appropriate time has passed. Pseudoephedrine does not seem to agree with me completely. The side effects; for me personally, are moderate; including restlessness; impaired thought; and a general "floating" feeling.

Congestion Relief
Excellent: Pseudoephedrine is a great drug, though it takes a strange toll on me.

Chest Congestion Relief
Almost as good as an inhaler.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Mucinex D will relieve the pain in your chest, but that's about it.

Cough Suppression
It seems like you're going to cough your lungs out at first; but when they start to clear, it works fairly well to suppress it.

• Cough Suppression:

I Never Leave Home Without It !

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

I have Nonallergic rhinitis. For that reason alone, I ALWAYS keep a box of mucinex in my house, and I keep at least two with me when I go anywhere.
Nonallergic rhinitis is inflammation in the nose, swollen nasal membranes, congestion, and wow is it ever so painful.
Whenever something triggers my nonallergic rhinitis, I can usually get away with taking 1 Mucinex and 20 minutes later the pressure & pain is gone. Some times I do need two, but not very often.
I've tried a few other things recommended by a doctor, but honestly, the ONLY thing that has ever truly helped with the pain is Mucinex. It may be a bit on the pricey side, but I would pay triple the cost if need be. Yes, it works that good!

Congestion Relief
Even though Mucinex works great for congestion, I wouldn't buy it for congestion alone. There are other medications out there that will clear up congestion for a much cheaper price.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I've only used Mucinex for Nonallergic rhinitis, which causes very intense pain & pressure in your nose. I can honestly say that yes, it works extremely well for that type of nose pain!

Cough Suppression
Never used mucinex for this reason. However, I dont see why it wouldn't work good.

• Cough Suppression:

This product works every time!

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

I have tried everything to help with congestion and mucinex d works the best every time! The day after I take it, I can blow my nose & actually feel the congestion breaking up. I will quit buying other products because none work as well. My doctor even recommends mucinex when I go see him with these symptoms.

• Cough Suppression:

Mucinex-D Maximum Strength can handle your cold.

from Stewartstown, PA

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

Mucinex-D Maximum Strength is effective in taking care of severe colds. It was recommended to me by my former boss, a certified registered nurse practitioner (CRNP) when I had a tough cold I couldn't seem to get rid of. It costs more than other cough medicines, but is worth it when you're trying to get rid of a cold. Who likes to be sick? Mucinex is the number 1 doctor recommended over-the-counter (OTC) expectorant.

Congestion Relief
The Guaifenesin in Mucinex-D Maximum Strength is effective in relieving congestion.

Chest Congestion Relief
The Guaifenesin in Mucinex-D Maximum Strength helps you to feel immediate relief to make breathing easier.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I don't normally have aches and pains with my colds so I can't really comment on this subject.

Cough Suppression
It's annoying to have a cough that you can't seem to stop especially at work so that's why I was relieved to have the Mucinex-D Maximum Strength help with suppressing my cough.

Glad to have it!

from Maricopa, AZ

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

Good timing, as I've been using this stuff all week. I've had an awful cough after having the flu and this has worked wonders. I still needed cough drops when the cough got dry but it has been extremely helpful in getting all the junk out but also helping me sleep but without putting me to sleep during the day while I'm at school. I also like that it's relatively safe for breastfeeding because I needed it when I had the flu when my baby was little as well. After coughing for a week, it starts to hurt and it was nice to be able to find relief when many medications were not safe for the baby. I definitely recommend it and even my husband will take it and he refuses almost all medicines.

Amazing

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Mucinex D Maximum Strength Expectorant & Nasal Decongestant:

I usually don't take medicine when I'm sick, but someone offered Mucinex to me at work when they heard me sniffling all day. I'm never really sick longer than a week, but after one dose of Mucinex I felt better the next day. It helped decongest my chest and sinuses an got rid of my headache. I am always the first person to bash medicine, but I've never had such a fast recovery. I would definitely recommend this to someone who is just starting to feel the symptoms of a cold. I did take echinacea earlier in the day, but I doubt that that had anything to do with me feeling better because I take that all the time when I feel sick and it doesn't do anything.