View more cell phones

3.3

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

It's a great phone for being on the go.

For anyone that is technology challenged, this phone is perfect plus you get to choose a color to personalize it to you.  It does not include all the newest gadgets, but it has the basics plus a little extra if you want to learn.  The phone was easy to learn how to use and works well.  The signal I can receive on this phone is fantastic.  Even in areas that are not very good I have been able to get signal.

The phone is great for anyone on the go becuase it is small and easy to take a long in a pocket. It is lightweight and the battery stays charged well.  It is also built very well and does not break after one drop...trust me I know.  I've had my phone a year now and it still looks new even though it has been banged around.  Any other phone I've had would have dents and scratches but this one looks great.

The Motorola Rival is a great phone for anyone that texts a lot. It has a full keyboard making it quick and easy to text.  The only thing I wish this phone did have was a way to text without the full keyboard for times when you only have one hand to use.  The touch screen also is very sensitive i end you hitting things I am not trying to push so I end up sending blank texts a lot by accident.

The camera works well and the pictures are fairly good quality.  Plus, you have the capability to send the pictures to other people which can be fun and come in handy.  As I previously stated, I'm technology handicapped a bit so I believe you can also send voice messages with the pictures but I have no idea how.

Voicemails on the phone are clear for the most part but getting into your voicemail inbox is a pain.  The numbers for your password are on the touch screen so you always end up hitting more than one and then you have to start all over again.

I wish the phone came with more ringtones and better ones as well the ones they have are not very good.  I know you can download more but I don't want to buy a phone and then have to pay extra for all my ringtones each month.

When someone calls you are able to set your phone to show their picture and have a special ringtone for different people.  I like the way you can personalize this part of the phone and have something special for friends and family who will call you many times.  The only problem with this is there is no way to add extra memory to the phone.  There is not a spot for an SD card to go into.  This means any pictures or ringtones or extra stuff you might want to add has to fit on the phones original memory space.

The Motorolla Rival will grow on you!

I always used LG phones. But when I was due for an upgrade the only phone that grabbed my attention was the motorolla rival. I honestly hated it the first two days of owning it. I lost complete service to the point I couldnt use it and it kept telling my battery error. I took it back to the store and they replaced it for nothing. I personally find the buttons on the front slightly difficult to press and they feel weak to me as if I push them too many times they are going to stop working. My last phone was touch screen so I was used to that but this phone is like a hybrid. Random things are touch screen and others are real buttons and let me tell you that takes getting used to.  Within the first few days I was always accidentally calling people and sending texts before they were done. But like all things I feel it just takes some getting used to because I like everything else about the phone.  The QWERTY keyboard is great for any texter. The phone comes in two cute color schemes. Its not to big or too small. Give it a chance, it grew on me and maybe it will for you to!

Motorola Rival A455 Cell Phone...like it

from Garner, NC

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

I like my cell phone.  I like the flip out keyboard for ease of texting.  I like the camera.  I don't like that I am now on my second case and looking for a third.  I have superglued my current case back together three times and it is barely hanging on.  It is always the front part of the case that breaks off and not the back.  I have dropped the phone a couples of times before I had a case and it didn't break.  I had someone else tell me that she was on her third rival and wouldn't recommend hers to anyone but she was a teenager and probably a little bit rougher on a cell phone than I am.  I got this one free with my upgrade through Verizon so definitely worth the money.  I think the battery life is good on it for the most part and I love the color (I got the purple not the white one).  The touchscreen for the numbers is very sensitive and can be a pain in the you know what when trying to get into my voicemail.  All in all I like it.

still kickin today and I love it

Voice Quality
never have a problem understanding people or them understanding me

Battery Life
still have the same battery I bought with the phone over a year ago and it lasts just as long then as it does today

I have dropped the phone on occasion and so have both of my kids (6 and 2) and it isn't broken or even that badly scratched!

super easy

love the design

Motorola Rival is Poorly Designed, and Not Reasonably Durable

from Biloxi, MS

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

I had the misfortune to purchase THREE Motorola Rival phones for my family in December 2009.  My husband and I were replacing our 2-year-old Samsung phones, and we were adding a new line of service for our teenaged son.

At a glance, the Rival seems to have all the features you would want i a reasonably-priced phone.  The slide reveals a full qwerty keyboard, for easy texting, and the touchscreen looks like an "iPod-esque" user-friendly interface.

The phones have been nothing but trouble for us.  My husband and I each had to have our phones replaced within the first three months.  The screen display simply stopped, showing only white (although the phone was still operational).  Our service representative let slip that this is a common problem with this phone in particular, and slide phones in general.

There are other touch-screen issues, as well...  "pushing buttons" with your ear, or buttons not pushing whenyou need them to...  It's just flakey.

My son's phone was replaced twice, and on the third time we finally convinced them to swap it out for another model.  We're much happier with his new Samsung.  If only we'd known!

• Battery Life:

Rival was the worst cell phone

from Keyport, NJ

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

I was so excited to be able to get a new phone, the rival, by motorolla, looked cool so I picked that.  I played around alittle and it seemed ok at first.  After a few months it began to stick, i would push a button but a different number would show up. sometimes when i tried to push a button nothing would happen.  after about 5 months a weird black line randomly appeared across the screen. then a huge crack, which my husband caused but he didnt drop it just sat on it. it was a very sensitive screen. the touch screen would freeze or just got to other things i didnt push like if i hit message it would go to media center. this was the first time i have purchased a motorolla cell phone and the last.  I cant imagine anyone who liked it, a few of my friends had them and hated them also. I would not recommend this phone to anyone, and honestly I think they stopped making them soon after i got it because when i went back to verizon i didnt see any out.

I don't like this phone

from Sulphur Springs, TX

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

Alltel switched to Verizon and I don't like it. Well we switched and I got a Motorola Rival. It is a piece of junk. I've only had it a few months and the phone goes wacky. So they had to give me another one. The service at Verizon is not so good either..

lots of stuff packed into a small phone

from North Kingstown, RI

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

The Motorola Rival A455 comes loaded with features like mobile IM, e-mail, VCast music, visual voice mail, IM style text messaging, and much more.

Comes with about 30 preloaded ringtones and a bunch of wallpapers

Has a partial touch screen for the dialer and and soft buttons that can be a little sensitive with larger fingers.  Touch screen automatically locks to avoid "butt dialing" but is easy to unlock by pushing one button or by opening slider.

Expandable memory up to 4GB. Excellent battery life, and comes in purple or tin silver.

The Motorola Rival rocks!

from Brockport, NY

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

I purchased the Motorola Rival (tin silver) this past weekend, and I am in love with this phone! My cell phone use in the past was limited to Tracfone and AT&T. I now have a phone that has the features that I want and a plan that is suited for my budget. The phone is not hard to use, which is good for me because I am not cell phone savvy. It has a touch screen that is very sensitive, so I have to be careful how I touch it. I can purchase a Bluetooth to use with it, which is good for when I'm driving. I can take pictures and/or videos with my phone. I can download music from my computer and add it as a ringtone or listen to it as an MP3 player on my cell phone . I also love the fact that I can review my Yahoo email with my cell phone! I can also access the web with my phone. There is an extra charge for it, but it is not expensive. The big plus for me is that I now have a QWERTY! The phone is very stylish and comes in tin silver and purple. I'm very happy with my purchase!

motorola rival great phone for everyday calling

from Landrum, SC

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

I got the Motorola Rival phone and fell in love! I love the fact how easy it was to figure it out and within 25 minutes I had the phone figured out! Its really easy to use and works great for everyday calling! The touch screen part of the phone works great except for sometimes you have to mash twice before it will work. I get frustrated sometimes with the phone when I have to text. You have to slide open the keyboard and sometimes the screen gets locked trying to switch. And the only other thing I didn't like about the rival was trying to get on the internet is annoying since I can't go to all websites like other phones on the internet. But its still a great phone for calling but deffinatly not for getting on the internet. But I still love it just for texting and calling its a great phone! The other thing I did not like about the Rival was the camera it has poor quality photos but easy for calling and texting!! I would recommend this to anyone who just calls and text, its a great phone!

The worst phone ever

from Pinckney, MI

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

I have had this phone for a year now. I have had to have it replaced and now, Verizon is going to get me a completely new phone - a different phone because they cannot fix the problems that I have had. This phone was great at first. The keyboard is great for texting and is easy to use. After a short while, I learned of the several difficulties that this phone had. When I charge the phone, I cannot use the phone. It has some sort of static electicy and actually hurts to use. The screen often sticks and freezes up. This is very inconvenient when I'm trying to make a call. Often the touch screen becomes very sensitive and me just holding the phone sets it off and all buttons are activated. It is very annoying when you try to use your phone and things like this happen. I am very diappointed in this phone and would recommend it to no one. It is the worst phone that I have ever had.

Motorola Rival was great, at first...

from Saint Paul, MN

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

I loved the Motorola Rival when I first got it about a year ago. It was a beautiful phone (purple is my favorite color and it looked so sleek with the purple and black combination) with just the right amount of features for me. I am definitely a texter and the full keyboard on this phone is excellent. Not too small and lit up nicely. The buttons never stuck which was nice. The touch screen on the phone was fine at first but now it just randomly pushes it on its own (especially when I am on the internet with it). The battery life on the phone is a joke. I literally have about twenty minutes of talk time left and I have only had the phone for a year! One of my friends warned me about how this phone freezes up and randomly shuts off and I never had a problem with it until about a month ago. Now it does it all the time! Recently it had been turning off mid conversation (without the battery low warning) and then turning on again when the person calls back- spooky! It was a decent phone at first but now its done for. I would recommend it to someone who is not interested in all the features that the new phones have and that is looking for a texting phone only.

Motorola Rival A455 cell phone review

from Galion, OH

Comments about Motorola Rival Cell Phone:

I chose the Motorola Rival A455 cell phone because of the promised extra features. I loved the idea of using my phone as an MP3 player, and the ability to record video images. I was very pleased with the musical and video aspect, and the quality of photos. The actual phone quality was not the best, and frustrated me quite often. The phone freezes often, has shut itself off on multiple occasions, and I have lost the function of turning down my volume. The touch pad is too sensitive at times, making choices with ear contact. Other times the touch pad does not register the touch at all. This phone has pros and cons. I cannot recommend this as an item I would chose again. The positive outlook of the phone is the fact that my child will have and MP3 player, camera, and video camera to play with when I upgrade.