Other Modems:
Motorola
4MOT18040
Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem

Summary

Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 - Wireless router - cable mdm - 4-port switch - GigE - 802.11 a/b/g/n

Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem

very speedy and reliable brand

from MA

Comments about Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem:

Prior to buying this Motorola Surfboard modem , I owned the same Motorola Surfboard but it was a 2.0 - I had owned that one about 4 years and it was very reliable . Within the past 6 months , I noticed that I kept losing my internet connection and when I went to troubleshoot , there was always a modem connectivity issue . I called my cable provider ( Comcast ) and they checked and told me that my old Motorola was at " end of life " . The Comcast technician recommended this newer 3.0 Surfboard model and assured me my connectivity issues would cease and that my connection speed would be much faster . I was a bit skeptical but I decided to take a chance at ordered this model . It was a little pricier than I thought but so far, the technician proved to be absolutely spot on .
My computer connects so much faster than it did the the older model and I have not " dropped " a connection since buying this unit . It was super easy to hook up and I just made a call to Comcast to ascertain that everything was good to go - very simple .
I hope to get at least 4 years of service from it like I did the prior model - it is much smarter to buy this Motorola surfboard rather than renting from the cable company - this will pay for itself in about a year so the purchase price will be worth it in the long run .

• Was this a gift?:

Solid modem, but cheaper quality options

from Westchester, IL

Pros

• strong wireless signal

Cons

Comments about Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem:

I upgraded from my previous Motorola modem to the SURFboard SBG6580 DOCIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem. This modem is very small and only occupies a 5x2 inch space on my desk. There wasn't a major increase in speed when I installed this modem, but I noticed that when I connected several Ultrabooks to it I didn't experience a drop in speed because the wireless signal strength is strong. I was also impressed that the hard wired strength compared to the wireless signal was very comparable. One thing that I found odd about this is that when my computer goes into sleep mode this modem disconnects, but luckily it reconnects within 5 seconds. The only issue I have with this modem is that the lights on it are bright. The lights can be very distracting especially when I'm sleeping in a dark room. I would recommend the Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 because it does an excellent job of getting the most out of a high speed data plan, but it doesn't appear to be a significant upgrade over the SB6141 model.

• Was this a gift?:

Speed is awesome

from NA

Comments about Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem:

I bought this Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem 2 years back and I still own it. I was recommended to buy this product by my Cable service provider and I was amazed with the features and the speed of the internet I would receive. The wifi router is quite small in size and the staff who delivered the product, explained me the functions of it. I was too happy to own the product as I could watch HD movies without buffering and it used to load everything within seconds. I can access my Window and Mac laptops as this router is compatible with both. I and my husband can operate the internet at the same time and there is no connection drop that has been observed and I remain connected to the internet all the time. I turn off the router when I fall asleep and till date, I have never had any issues with regards to the speed and signal reception. The price is perfect and the product comes with a one-year limited warranty.