3.4
Motorola MOTO Smartphone

Motorola MOTO Smartphone

3.4

Updated Phone is Better than the Oringinal

I recently went through a cell phone mini-emergency.  I came home one night and plugged in my MOTOQ to charge.  As an afterthought I decided to use it to get on the Internet to look up information on a house I was interested in buying.  Lo and behold, the phone wouldn't respond to any commands.  I tried to plug it back into the charger--nothing. I tried to remove the battery and put it back in--even worse, I got a black screen telling me to plug in the USB cord (what is that about).  So I take my crazy, non-working phone to the local Altell retail location and explain my dilemma.  The sales rep tells me he can reboot the phone, but it will erase my entire address book and any saved data.  I reluctantly agree (I never finished syncing my phone and my computer).  He reboots the phone not once, but twice and still no working phone.  So finally, I say that's it let's just upgrade.  I purchased a new Motorola Q9c.  I like it.  It is similar to original in its general functions.  However, there are some improvements.  The first and most important to me, is the fact that I can lock the keyboard.  No more purse dialing as my phone bounces around in my pocketbook.  Even better is the fact that there is no numeric code I have to remember to unlock the phone.  I also like the homescreen setup.  It is still a scrolling menu, but each line includes more items that can be accessed directly from the home page.  For example in the messaging line there are five items that can be viewed, texts, voicemails, e-mails, missed calls and  setting up the e-mail feature.  The start button takes you to the most frequently used programs first, rather than all of the programs. There is still one downside.  You still have to cut the phone off to completely disconnect from any data service.  So if I'm on the Internet and decide to get off, I can go to the homescreen and use the phone, but the icon in the corner still shows me connected to a data source--which eats up battery time.  Overall I am very pleased with the phone and you'll be happy to know I am now in the process of purchasing the house I was trying to look up online, when this whole thing started.

Everyone thinks it's a Blackberry. But it's not.

While I've had good times and bad times with this phone, in the end I'm fairly indifferent with how I feel about it.  It's been very nice because it has pretty much everything you would need with a cell phone, but for some reason I get jealous every time I see someone with an iPhone...My main issue with this phone is that it runs off of Windows.  It has its own version of Windows that it operates off of, which basically means that the longer you've had the phone and the more stuff that gets put on it the slower it goes.  The internet isn't very fast at all, but it works.  The one thing that I hate the most is that you can't send picture messages.  I never understood why not!  When they were designing this phone did they just say: "You know what? I don't think we should have picture messages on this phone. People won't care."  I guess I just don't get that.  Plus, I've never been able to sync up my gmail account to the email function on this phone.  I'm pretty tech saavy, so I think I should be able to make that happen, but I just haven't been able to make it work.  If you are looking to get a phone that is like a Blackberry, this isn't it.  This looks like one, but isn't.  I can't see mysely using this phone for business purposes.  If you want a phone that looks cool and has several functions that will make life easier, this is it.  I guess I've been pretty negative thus far, but some pros are the display screen, the full kwerty keypad, the ease of text messaging, the internet is actually a decent representation of the actual website most of the time, you can get cool ringtones, the calendar is nice, saving information for your contacts is very thorough, and im sure theres more.  In the end, I've had this phone for a year and a half and it's time to move on.  Thanks for the memories.

Discontinued

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

Overall the service sucked.

Battery Life
Battery was never full no matter how long it charged.

Display/Screen Quality
The screen quality was average.

Call Quality
Calling was ok until you lost reception which was often.

It was real easy to use and learn how to work,

This phone probably would of lasted long if it wasn't on the verge of discontinuance.

Their are better phones available now.

• Battery Life:
  • Display/Screen Quality:
  • Call Quality:

Motorola Q9C, The worst for your buck.

from Lake City, FL

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

I have been with Alltel for one year now and this is the third motorlola q9c phone that i have had. This phone it comes in black or lime green and has a full QWERTY keyboard, a flash camera with camcorder, and it is able to share the internet if connected to a laptop or desktop computer. The first phone I had just stopped working after having it for only one month, the second phone somehow overloaded on memory even with a memory card and virtually nothing stored onto the phone except contacts. The third phone that I have now moves so slow until you just dont want to do anything on it. As you text word take forever to appear and you will send the message thinking all of the words have processed. Alltel issued a system update for these phones last month which caused the phone to lose service in many areas. The only great thing that i can say about this phone is that it has internet sharing, which means you can access the internet through usb cable connection.

Not as good as my Blackberry!!

from Houston, TX

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

I really loved the Q9 when I first got it. Then they did an upgrade to the 6.1 OS and it all went to hell. It never worked well after that .I could read emails but not reply to them. After hours and hours with Tech support, I gave up and got a Blackberry Bold.

NOW I have a GREAT PHONE!! IT does EVERYTHING PERFECTLY!!

Don't get this one...not fun!!

Great alternative to the blackberry or I phone

from Sterling, VA

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

I have been using the Sprint "Moto Q" for over 2 years now, and I am pretty satisfied overall with the product. It has good e-mail capabilities, although when you reply to an e-mail from the phone, it may take several days to reach it's recipient. It's mostly good for receiving and reading e-mail. The web browsing is better however. Websites are transmitted fairly well, and it's pretty easy to nagivate from website to website if you are good at the touch pad. Downloading pictures is fine, but downloading movies is a little more difficult. This phone is not really good at downloading movies, and I wouldn't reccommend it for that.

The built-in camera has 4 zoom options, and the quality of pictures is pretty good. It also has a sound recorder, and is blue tooth enabled. In fact, I use the blue tooth all the time and it works great. The one big negative about this phone is that if you use the internet consistently the batter gets drained, only after a few hours. So you have to constantly charge this phone, which is pretty annoying.

I'm a casual cell phone user and this phone works for me.

from Boise, ID

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

This review is more for the casual cell phone user than the cell phone savvy person.  I got this phone because my brother found me a great deal and I needed a phone that could do more on the internet than my flip phone.

The phone's wide screen makes it easy to navigate the internet.  The internet speed is pretty good for the most part but occasionally a bit slow.

One thing I don't like about the phone are the ringtone volume options.  Instead of having the typical Loud, Medium Loud, Medium.....options, it has "Normal, Meeting,Outside."  I'm used to it now, but when I first got the phone it took some getting used to.

I've had a some issues with the battery dying on me.  I've had the phone for less than a year.  The other day I had recharged the battery and a few hours later the phone died.  I'm sure it's just a battery issue.

The phone is good because you can hook it up to your computer.  Instead of paying for ringtones, I just copy mp3 files from my computer to my phone and I've got a new ringtone.

Smartest Smartphone!

from Syracuse, KS

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

I had the original Moto Q as my first smartphone. These phones are windows enable phones, so if you're comfortable with a Windows PC, then you should be within your comfort zone on these phones. I bought my original Moto Q off Ebay and had it on the Alltel Network...My phone took a beating, I carried it everywhere with me and I worked at a grain elevator so all that dust and sometimes falling out of my pocket, and yet just minor scratches. After about 2 years it finally decided to retire, I had some problems with it resetting, but I can understand seeing how I really did put it through a lot. So that phone went to my son as a toy, he loved the 1.2 mega pixel camera and the games that were pre-installed on there. But most of all the MP3 playing capabilities. I upgraded to the Moto Q9c when it came out and it's been a great phone...need to upgrade...but not sure if anything out there will meet my expectations. LOVE IT RECOMMENDED TO ANYONE!

Petty good basic non-touch screen smart phone!

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

The Moto Q 9c is a great beginner smartphone.  it is Blackberry in style but it run Windows Mobile which has it advantages being that it is Windows based there are many compatibility benefits if you are also a Windows PC user.  I used this phone for about a year and liked it fairly well!  One thing that I would recommend is to get a program that runs like Windows Vista/7 on your phone it will make navigating the phone MUCH easier, sorry I can't remember the name off hand, if it comes to me I will add it!

This phone is as reliable as it is tough.

from Chagrin Falls, OH

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

I have been happy with this phone from the outset, but when my Q was dropped about 20 feet down to a steel floor below, I thought it was done.  I got down to where it had come to rest and found that only the battery and cover had come off.  I put the battery and cover back in and turned the phone on.  It worked just fine and I haven't had problems since.  Beyond the physical, the Windows Mobile OS is great and easy to navigate, although it would be nice to have a bit more storage on the device itself (even though I have a 4 GB mini-SD).  I have better reception on my wireless network than other users do on the same network with this phone, and it comes in great when the kids need some entertaining.  The QWERTY keyboard may seem diminutive, but I have few problems with mistypes either in my text messages or in typing Word documents.

motorolla q works for me.

from Buena Park, CA

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

I am a little different from most people when it comes to cell phones. I am not a person who goes on the internet with my phone by choice. I simply like to have a phone that sends messages, makes phone calls, and has a calendar that I can write notes for myself. That does not mean that I do not like fancy phones. I purchased the Motorolla Q because I did a little research on it with friends.

The phone is thin enough to fit inside of my pockets well and it is not too large to be a hassle. I like the full keyboard typing, coming previously from a touch screen phone. I especially like the ability to feel the buttons that I am pressing. I have not had any problems with this phonen which is a rare thing. I have known many people to have mulitple problems with their phones and this phone has been good for me.

The other good thing about the phone is its look. I purchased the black one and with the black phone it gives a sleek look that gives a personality to my phone. Not to mention the overall appearance of the phone is very good itself.

I'd be lost without my Moto Q9C smartphone!

from Port Edwards, WI

Comments about Motorola MOTO Smartphone:

This phone has it all.  I have written up a resume on microsoft, made up spreadsheet on the excel, taken photos and uploaded them to facebook --- you not only get internet access, it also works as a modem for your laptop or desktop computer.  You just hook up the usb cord (included with the phone) and click on 'connect' on the internet button and you're good to go.  I also love how it texts -- it looks like IM/chat.  It's also user friendly.  I've gotten a lot of compliments on it - I honestly can't live without it!!