View more cell phones

Motorola Hint Cell Phone

Motorola Hint Cell Phone

3.3

Motorola Hint Cellphone - Small, sturdy, fun, useful

I've had my Motorola Hint Cellphone for a year now. Let me just say, I am REALLY rough on cellphones, but this one has held up to my abuse. It has sustained some damage though: Back cover popped off and was lost and had to be replaced, the middle button doesn't work very well and the down arrow became difficult to push after dropping the phone into coffee. When I dropped it into coffee, I soaked it in rice overnight and then it was fine (other than the down arrow issue). I've dropped it countless times, gotten water from the hot tub and pool in it numerous times (basically all summer long) and generally treated it like crap, but it's still going strong. I've had to get a software update about 6 months into it because it kept randomly restarting, but that was an issue with the software only and not the actual phone.

More Pros: I love the functionality, and love having email and internet. It has a very colorful screen and the menus are bright and interesting. I love the slide-out part of the phone and love its small, square size. The speakerphone is really loud and the camera is outstanding for a camera phone. I've captured so many great memories really quickly with this phone. The video camera works great too. I never have any issues with the sound quality. I love that you can shuffle all kinds of pictures as your background. Bluetooth works fast on this phone. Battery life is much longer than other phones I've had, and the charging time is short. The QWERTY keyboard is awesome.

Cons: It asks you if you are sure you want to delete a text message, and then when you delete the message, it announces that it has just deleted your message. This gets really tedious and time consuming, so I usually procrastinate deleting them as they come in. I then delete them all at once when my Inbox gets full. Another weird thing is that the picture messages are stored in a different part of the memory than text messages, because they don't seem to affect my Inbox size. I also dislike that I can't seem to send a video via text message. It only gives me the option to send via bluetooth. Also, the speaker is on the back of the phone, so if you lay your phone down, sometimes you have trouble hearing the ringer, because it is muffled.

This phone is so cool that my younger brother and nephew both decided to get one for themselves. They love it too.

The Motorola Hint is a Good Overall Phone

The Motorola Hint is a great phone but i still think it needs some improvement. It changes from the sidekick i used to have which had features that i miss. For example the Motorola hint has no instant messenger service and you cannot download one either which sucks because i'm a text message and instant messenger junkie. However cricket does offer unlimited text message and web browsing which is great because i have more conversations on text messaging than phone calls, and the plus side is that even if the phone is roaming my text messages are still unlimited and free of charges as normal. Another great feature is the email clients, the hint has a lot more email clients than the sidekick 2008. It also has voice command and a feature that allows me to see my text messages as a conversation which i find pretty cool. A qwerty keyboard is always a plus to me because i text a lot however i would have preferred that the keyboard has more symbols on it, it's a hassle to always have to press the FN key in order to use most of the symbols i tend to use. The camera's quality is great, i have some very clear pictures, the only downside is that there's no flash just like most phones. Lastly, the phone restarts all by itself sometime although i haven't had it for that long & i've never dropped it either, and when i try to use the camera i get an error message sometime and have to restart the phone when it does so in order to take a picture which also is a big hassle. Overall the Hint is good phone and i guess i would recommend it.

Do over . . . please!

from Ellis, KS

Pros

Cons

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

I got my Motorola Hint in August of 2009 and liked it, at first. . . It was short lived to say the least. I don't know whether its my network or the phone but it only took a month or two before I was unable to connect to the internet or Brew. I also can't open or send pictures. It has a camera so that I can take pictures but that is it. Overall, very disappointed!

The Motorola Hint is a decent phone

from Johnston, IA

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

I purchased a new Motorola Hint from my wireless provider a little over 2 years ago. Overall, I would say that the phone has worked well. I am able to make and receive calls without any problems. And texting is much easier due to the slide out keyboard (the last phone I had ony had a standard dial pad)

My Cons List of the Motorola Hint:

It broke within one year (some faulty cable that allows for the keyboard and screen to turn on when the keyboard is slid open) Luckily it was still covered under the 1 year warranty; the keyboard is rather small which could be a problem for someone with larger hands (ie male); the voice command does not function well; doesn't fit in the cell phone pocket of most of my purses or diaper bag; and the locking mechanism leaves much to be desired as it allows for the phone to unlock when you slide open the keyboard which my toddler figured out rather quickly

My Pros List of the Motorala Hint:

The battery still holds a charge for days even after 2 years; the slide out keyboard is definitely a step up from my old phone's standard dial pad; it takes decent pictures; & it has many "techy" funtions (most of which I do not use as I only use my phone for calls & texting & the occassional pic).

Wouldn't take another one if it was free

from Gunter, TX

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

My husband has 2 of these phones. The first was returned minutes after leaving the store. When pressing one button on the keyboard it was act as if he was pressing several, some were not even near the button we was trying to fix. He figured this particular phone had problems and exchanged it for another one of these. Sadly he made a call before trying out the phone. Metro Pcs will only let you return if it has under a certian amount of talk time and he went over. He has wanted to take it back since day one. The back will not stay on the phone,which is very annoying. The main buttons have started to fall off and also malfunction like the first phone did. It seems like something new is falling off or falling apart on this phone daily. Also, it randomly shuts itself off. This has caused my husband to miss important calls and text. WHen he turns it back on some of the text can take up to an hour to show up. Also, when it shuts off and he turns it back on his background has changed to a blank screen. I cannot think ofone thing he or I like about this phone.He hates it so much he say he wouldnt take another one even if it was free!

Motorola Hint QA30 Phone is mediocre at best

from Minooka, IL

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

I received a Motorola Hint QA30 phone as a replacement for a non-functioning phone.  The phone has plenty of standard options that are nice including a decent camera that takes videos.  The phone has a slide out keyboard that has buttons that are extremely small.  I thought it was just me, but my wife also has trouble using the keypad without fingernails.  In addition, the letters normally associated with the numbers on your phone are not present.  So if you get an opportunity to call a number like (800)- CALL ME!  You don't know what numbers to dial.  Overall, not a phone that I would recommend.

Motorola Hint Great Basic Messaging Phone

from Greenville, MI

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

I really thought the phone was weird and boxy before I got it. The full QWERTY keyboard is tiny and the keys are a bit cramped together, but my fingers are not small by any means and after using it enough you get used to it. This phone is a smart "non-smart" phone, has email capabilities, but doesn't require a pricier smart plan. The phone was very easy to learn to use, didn't take days of mulling over the user manual. Though it wasn't the reason I got the phone the camera and video capabilities were great for a moderately priced phone. The back cover did pop off fairly easily and I would recommend getting a hard plastic case, it doesn't stand up well to being dropped and with the first Hint I had if I set it down too hard (not dropping, just merely setting it down on a counter/table) the phone would turn off and sometimes I wouldn't realize it for hours. Phone is great for messaging, battery life was good comparatively, the signal strength doesn't seem that fantastic, my sister and myself can be in the same room and she will have 1-2 more signal bars. All in all, great phone for SMS & easy to use!

Looks cool, but fails to deliver.

from Rice Lake, WI

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

Ahh the Motorola Hint. It looks so cute and awesome on the outside. But underneath is disappointment after disappointment. I have gone through three of these phones (all factory defects) until Verizon decided to switch me to a different brand.

Pros: The look. The hint is design well with red and black for the main colors. When I first saw it in the store I was very excited by the sliding function. Also the size is nice. It is one of the smallest full keyboard smart phones I have ever seen.

Cons: Everything else. Sadly looks are all this has going for it. The call reception poor, but the worst problem they have is a flaw in the sliding design. After some slight use wires in the slider cross and the phone will shut off when ever bumped. It can be in you pocket and you brush you hand against your leg and off she goes. With these phones it isn't a question of will it die. It is a question of when.

Overall it is a nice looking phone that should be avoided like the plague.

Useful for texting, that's about it.

from Cameron, WI

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

I had this for only a couple months before having to get a second one. My first one would shut off randomly during calls and rebooting the phone each time became very frustrating. My brother-in-law went through three and still had the same persisting issue. The phone has a full keyboard which is very useful for texters although the keyboard could be a little wider. It has a nice wide screen, which was very handy for uploading landscape photos from my computer to use as the phones background. The vibrator is very intense and will wake anyone up who uses it as an alarm. The one thing I can't get my head around is the placement of the microphone. It is halfway up the phone on the screen. Most of my calls had great difficulty hearing my and I would often have to move the speaker away from my ear to talk into the microhpone which resulted in me not always hearing what the other person had to say. All in all, if all you do is mainly text, this phone works out fine.

Dropped multiple times and still working well!

from Duluth, MN

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

I originally got the Motorola Hint because it was one of the first affordable slide phones out there. It isnt to snazzy but often I get the comment of what a cool phone it is. I have had to send it in three times because it would frequently not turn on for reasons that tech support didnt understand, but my phone provider sent the new phone free of charge so there would be nothing to complain about there.

As a girl with small, dainty fingers, it is easy for me to use the keypad. However it is a lot more difficult for the guys that I know to navigate my phone. If you have not used a QWERTY on a phone before it can be interesting to learn but there are indents that help you gain muscle memory. The features are fairly basic for 2010 but work really well. It comes with everything from a calendar, alarm and camera to xm radio (if you decide to subscribe to that).

I know that I have dropped it multiple times and though it has some scrapes it is in great shape. A lesser phone would have fallen apart from all the abuse but the Motorola Hint is very sturdy. I still wouldnt run it over with a car or anything, though.

The Motorola Hint looks great, but does not perform well.

from Mesa, AZ

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

The Motorola Hint looks nice, and does have some nice features. The slide down keypad is nice, but very small. The phone takes nice pictures and videos. The screen is large and easy to read with a menu that is easy to navigate. The problem is that the phone just seems fragile. The back cover comes off very easily, and I have yet to find a case that securely holds this akwardly shaped phone. The case poped open, out came the phone and landed on the sidewalk. Off course the back cover flew off. Months later the phone buttons stopped responding at all. I went in to warranty it, and Motorola says if there are any scratches that they will not warranty the phone.

The phone also randomly calls people for no reason, and picks up a lot of wind noise.

OK phone

from Erie, IL

Comments about Motorola Hint Cell Phone:

I got this phone because my other phone quit working & I needed a replacement right away.  I wanted a phone that would be good for text messaging & the employee at the cell phone store recommended this phone. I decided to try it based on that. Have had quite a few problems with this phone & in the 11 months that I have owned it have had to take it into the store to be looked at 3 different times. They just keep telling me to try different things in hopes that it will work correctly. Very disappointed in this phone. The other phones I have all had were the Kyocera brand. When I get my next phone I am pretty sure that I will not get a Motorola phone. One plus about it is the camera on it is pretty good. It also has a videocamera. I have yet to use this feature on the phone but might be good for that if you take videos on your phone. It also does come with a music player. That is a nice feature to have.