Other Smartphones:

Motorola DROID Smartphone

Pros

Cons

• Call Quality:

A capable phone lacking a little consumer polish

I like the Droid. I do. It's just not my iPhone.

I like the Droid. I do. It's just not my iPhone.

I was an overly-active iPhone user for nearly two years. I loved the entire iPhone experience - hardware and software alike - except for one glaringly obvious failure: the inability to consistently make and receive phone calls. In short, my somewhat reluctant move to the Droid had its genesis in a certain, unnamed carrier's inability to reliably service a major metropolitan area, not in the device itself.The Droid, in it's current state, is really just Google's Android OS running on a touch-screen device, built by Motorola (apparently with considerable input from Google). This isn't a groundbreaking device, similar Android phones have existed on the market for quite some time; it's just that the Droid managed to cull together one of the best touch screens on the market to date, a full QWERTY slideout, a 5MP camera and opportunistically launched in-tandem with Android's 2.0 release, a generational leap forward for that platform. As one would expect, it's the software that makes this phone. Once you've completed setup, a significant share of Google's online offerings are natively integrated into your device. All are immediately familiar and synced, there's little-to-no learning curve and taking a cue from Apple, things just seem to work. More importantly, if you're an active Google user, they work the way you're used to them working.My favorite parlor trick at this point works something like this:1. Unlock screen2. Voice search for "Gingerman Chicago"3. Choose to see the map results for Gingerman in Google Maps (a native app on the device)4. Drill down into specific data about Gingerman from the map and immediately touch-to-call or see street-view (as well as other options.)As for the hardware - in a word - the aesthetic is 'spartan'. Verizon's done their best to paint this as a feature in recent marketing efforts, acting as as if aesthetics are laughable and without merit. I'd agree that form follows function but to act as if form is negligible seems slightly delusional. Granted, this happens anytime you have three megacorps charged with designing a single product: creativity is marginalized by the lowest common denominator. You wind up at the end of an intense brainstorm with a black box and contracts that guarantee that everyone's brand gets painted on the product (Verizon managed to get their name on it twice, Google and Motorla only once). In short, it's nothing to look at but I'll concede that it *feels* good. The profile is fairly tight and the weight, while at first a litle shocking, was something that I've come to like about the product.As you're likely aware - the Droid has been market-positioned as the antithesis of the iPhone: everything 'iDon't' the Droid does. And maybe it does do more than the iPhone, I've yet to find myself wanting, in fact I find that I'm discovering something new every other day that just feels 'right', but it's certain that the lion's share of the tasks that these devices do share in common are done with considerable more polish from start-to-finish on the iPhone. In fact, if Apple were to make the hop to Verizon today I'd have to put the Droid down and pick up the iPhone but until that day comes, I'm happy with what I consider to be a perfectably capable device.

Small QWERTY keys and finicky touch screen

My husband bought the Motorola Droid as soon as it came out. At first, i was excited, because my phone doesn't have internet access and I thought this would be fun. I figured I'd try it out, and if I liked his, maybe I'd get one too.

The thing I like least about the Droid is the QWERTY keyboard. I text all the time, and I use the Droid to go onto facebook. The keys aren't separate at all, so when you hit one button, you wind up hitting others. I have really small hands, so I don't know how anyone can text on this! The touchscreen keyboard is much more accurate, but then you're eating into your screen space. it does have a nice big screen, but anytime I'm trying to scroll, it inevitably decides to hit links and direct me to another page, so I wind up spending more of my time frustrated that I can't get to what I'm trying to get to. The Droid does have some need applications and games, but then again, I think most smartphones nowadays have the same thing. I've also had problems using the GPS feature - we were driving once and it lost signal and left us without directions, so that was no fun! I think you can definitely get a better smartphone - wait until version 2 comes out!

great phone

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

My first internet phone and my first smartphone. I enjoyed this phone very much. Looks great and worked great. All my old phones I've ever had I've given them to my mom and dad. But once I upgraded to my boyfriend's droid 2 and offered my mom or dad my droid 1 phone they didn't want it says its required to get internet access and will be paying a lot more. The only reason I upgraded to my boyfriend's droid 2 was to get a better quality camera and video camera. Comparing the droid 1 verses droid 2 I like the faster part and better camera and video camera qualities but I had more issues with the droid 2 while droid 1 didn't have issues. I still give droid 1 thumbs up. I also loved the keyboard on droid 1 also.

Battery Life
Seemed pretty good unless you use it for games, GPS, watch videos then obviously your battery will drain faster. But that's any phone battery if you use them for those purposes.

Clear and crisp

Nice looking phone

• Call Quality:

The Droid is great for the web, games, pictures, texting, GPS

from Martinsburg, WV

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

I've had this phone for a little over a year and I'm about ready to upgrade. I want something like it. I did add a 20GB MicroSD card to mine. It's very durable and the keyboard is easy to use. I love the SD Card feature where you can move your apps to SD card and make the file size smaller to save on phone space. The phone doesn't have an enormous amount of physical drive space, but unlike some phones you CAN move apps to the SD Card. :) You can also hook it up via USB on your computer and copy pictures, MP3's, make playlists, backup data and basically use it as a USB thumb drive if you want. This makes it great for installing apps quickly too :) The wifi is great on it. The only downside is some of the larger newer games do tend to crash or cause the phone to overheat and turn off.

Battery Life
Battery life is great until you start playing a bunch of online games.

Display/Screen Quality
Screen quality is good, barely scratches but I put a screen protector on it to be safe.

I have dropped it, sat on it, thrown it and it's even been out in the pouring rain. It keeps on working :)

• Call Quality:

Decent phone that could be better.

from San Gabriel, CA

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

I've bought this phone for 6 months, and so far, all I can say is this phone is ok.  It does its intended job, no more, no less.  I have an issue with unable to send MMS with my phone and after extensive research, it must be due to my service provider (T-Mobile).  With that aside, this phone is pretty decent.  A 5 megapixel camera is the norm for cell phones these days and it does have that.  The picture quality for the camera could be a tad better though.  I have a nokia N82 and it's older than my droid with the same 5 megapixel camera, but the picture quality taken from my N82 is better than pictures taken with my droid.  So, if camera option is huge for you when choosing your cell phone, then the droid isn't for you.  You might as well look for an alternate option.  On the other hand, if you are looking for a decent smartphone that does everything else perfectly, then I suggest you give Droid a chance, you won't be disappointed!

Pretty good!

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

Overall, this phone is good because it is durable and the quality of it is very good, but has a average/short batter span. Look at the factors below for more review of the product.

Battery Life
battery does not last that long and I have to charge it everyday. With watching videos at a constant rate it lasts about 3-4 hours. With everything on my phone shut down (like apps and programs) it can last about 2-3 days.

Display/Screen Quality
screen quality is good and the lighting is good, but a little bit too bright in pure darkness and sometimes not bright enough in the sunlight

Call Quality
overall very good, but sometimes my in my phonebook I am not allowed to view my contacts or add contacts. It is a bit confusing because it asks you to sign into your google account and then you have the option of putting the contact on the sd card or google account

it was a bit hard to set up everything at first, but afterwards it was easy to use once you got the hang of it

I have dropped my phone several times and it still has not broken yet, but I do recommend you get a screen protection and a case (hard or soft) because that is what I expect has cushioned the phone when it has been dropped.

This phone is a bit heavy, but I like the design that it has a keyboard

Motorola Droid has done what I have asked

from Brighton, MI

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

Having a smartphone has really revolutionized my life. I can access whatever I need anywhere!The Motorola Droid is a bit bulkier than I would like, but I love the physical keypad and speed. The battery does not last as long as I would like though, but my calls are clear and my phone is reliable.

Best phone out there

from Gastonia, NC

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

upgraded to the Droid from the Blackberry, this is one of the best decisions i have ever made. this phone allows you to do almost anything you need from the pam of your hands. fast web browsing through the 3g network or connect to wifi at almost any location that has it. although i only have the original droid, i plan to stay in the droid family. since i have gotten mine, i have had several family members purchase into the droid family including the Droid 2, Droid Pro, and even the Evo from Sprint. all having zero complaints and is very user friendly. the GPS that Droid comes equipped with is better than some GPS units. there are unlimited apps in the marketplace from A to Z. motorola is probably the best phone manufactorer out there and is constantly coming up with better ways to make a great phone perfect. i will never change from a motorola phone unless they just up and quit making phones. keeping an eye open for their next great phone

Still one of the best droid devices on the market

from Forest Hills, NY

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

The original Droid is more than a year old now but I still argue it's one of the best android devices on the market, that is until the more powerful dual core droids start rolling out q2 of 2011. One of things I love about the Moto Droid is that it comes with vanilla Android, that means a build of the Android OS that is stock from Google without all the custom layers that many of the manufactures are adding these days -  you can argue the advantages of them, but I tend to think the vanilla build is a lot more pleasant to use.

The Droid was one of the first smartphones with a 1ghz processor, which gives it plenty of juice to run the most intensive apps in the Marketplace today. It has the usual specs that you'll find in a modern smartphone - GPS, accelerometer, touchscreen, digital compass, and onboard and user upgradable memory (micro SD card) t name a few. It's main selling point was that it ran on the Verizon network and it gave people the option to have a competitive smartphone with a physical keyboard. It sold well and continues to and at the discount prices (free in most places) that you'll find the Moto Droid at these days, I think it's a great deal. The only issue I might have with buying a device this long in it's life cycle is weather or not Moto will allow you to upgrade to the latest and greatest Android OS. It's currently at 2.2 (Froyo), which is not the latest but is what all but one Android handsets is on.

Motorola Droid

from Rochester, NY

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

As soon as the Motorola Droid was released I knew it was the phone I wanted. My previous phone (LG enV touch) just wasn't cutting it anymore. Sure, it had the full keyboard, but I got bored of the phone quickly. When I first used the Motorola Droid, I was playing around with my friend’s; it took a while to get used to considering the phone I had. Now that I own my own smartphone, I will never go back to a dumb phone. The QWERTY keyboard is great, the only complaint I would have is that the top row of keys is close to the phone and makes it very easy to make spelling errors when texting or writing an email. If you are looking for a phone that gives you everything you want in one place, then a smartphone is the phone for you. My college uses Gmail as their primary email service and it was easy to set up my school email to go straight to my phone. This makes it convenient for when a professor cancels a class last minute, I receive the email instantly where people without a smart phone end up going to class, and waiting until they finally realize it was cancelled. Great product, GPS is accurate, wide variety of applications to choose from. It has everything you'd ever want/need. Battery drains quickly if you text a lot, and use a lot of apps at the same time, just remember to use your app killer and the battery will last all day.

The Original Droid - Better than iPhone UPDATED

from Norwood, MA

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

When the iPhone was first released, I was like everyone else; slobbering. When I came to the sad realization that a Verizon iPhone was not in the near future, I reassessed my options. Moving from a flip phone to my first smart phone made the choice an important one. After much research, I selected the Droid. Boy, am I glad I did!

My boyfriend has the iPhone and while it is now available on the Verizon network, I would still not choose it over my Droid. The #1 aspect for me is the free turn-by-turn navigation. I've since stopped using my GPS because my phone works that much better. Running on a Google OS, my navigation is constantly updated with the latest maps. The directions are excellent and accurate, even providing traffic estimates.

A seemingly small thing that makes the Droid superior to the iPhone (in my eyes at least) is the smart texting capabilities. As I go to type a text to a friend, Droid suggests words that I may be about to type. This saves me a ridiculous amount of time and allows for far less text misspellings. It is wonderful for composing mobile emails or really for anything text-related.

The Droid is fast and contrary to others' reviews, my battery easily lasts all day. Just be sure to download a free app killer (I use "Advanced Task Killer") to conserve your battery life. After I'm done surfing the web, emailing, playing a game, etc. I always make sure to "kill" the apps that are running. It's a little thing that can preserve a LOT of battery life.

Speaking of apps, there are a ridiculous amount of free ones for Droid! Droid is starting to rival Apple in it's marketplace, as many developers are creating Droid friendly versions of their iPhone apps. I haven't paid for an app yet and the functionality of my phone is incredible.

Overall, I would 100% reccommend the Droid. Its biggest cons are it's size and weight - minor in comparison to it's benefits. I can't wait to see what Motorola will come up with next :)

UPDATE: Over time the quality of this phone became compromised. The technology just far out paced the phone and I had to upgrade. I moved to the Droid Razr and haven't looked back since - LOVE IT.

Droid ... Love my version 2.2

from Johnsonville, SC

Comments about Motorola DROID Smartphone:

What can I say about "My Droid"?  Well, I love it!  The Motorola Droid coupled with the Verizon service is great!  The only draw back I have is the battery life is not very good.  You better have charger's in the house, at the office and in the car if you use it very much at all.  I use mine constantly for my emails, facebook, play games ... oh and did I mention for my phone. (lol) I really can't imagine life without it now.  I can stay in touch with my college student and know what she/he is up to at all times.  The only draw back is it will not play the games associated with facebook and I think that's a bit lame but I can live without that right now. Buy a Droid it's great and works even in rural areas unlike the competitors service.

Battery Life
really wish it didn't eat the battery so fast

Display/Screen Quality
watching movie trailers tonight & excellent graphics

Call Quality
drops calls in a lot of areas
phone gets hot if you talk very long

phone gets hot if you talk very long
hard to answer while driving

I did drop it once and it still works fine

kinda heavy