Other Smartphones:

Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone

Pros

Cons

• Call Quality:

An incredible alternative to the iPhone

The Motorola Droid 2, which was released at the end of the summer (2010) is the best phone on the market right now.  The Droid 2 can do anything that you can possibly want it to do and more.  The phone is absolutely stunning with a big screen with a high resolution.  While tech wise it is not as great as the iPhone 4, you cannot tell the difference when using it.

Featuring a slide out keyboard and a touch screen, the phone already does more than the iPhone 4.  A keyboard is something that is absolutely essential if you are trying to type out a long message or need to send something with speed.

The OS is polished as well.  It is easy to use and easy to get used to.  My mom got one as well and even she is using it with ease (she is not the most tech savvy).

Overall, the phone is a great phone and could easily beat the iPhone out of the market in coming years.

Returned It Within 30 Days!

**Motorola ****Droid 2 Global**

Touchscreen only or touchscreen w/ slide out keyboard

3G capabilitesRead complete review

**Motorola ****Droid 2 Global**

Touchscreen only or touchscreen w/ slide out keyboard

3G capabilites

Apps - Endless amounts of applications to have fun with** **

**My Review!**Apparently I am one of a few who didn't fall in love with the **Motorola Droid 2 Global **cell phone. My husband had been a huge fan of the original **Droid** and my 16 year old son had me all pumped up about the **Droid 2 Global** phone. Our cell phone plan was up and we were able to upgrade our phones. Verizon was running a deal on **The Droid**, Buy One Get One Free. It sounded like the perfect time for me and my son to upgrade our phones.

Keep in mind I was coming off of using a **Blackberry Curve **for 2 years and was perfectly happy with it's features. I don't normally need to surf the web from my cell phone but on occassion will look up a tidbit of information. Due to my jobs, I need to be accessible to my email accounts, 24/7. As soon as an email is sent to me, I need to be able to respond. The **Blackberry **was very useful in that area. Of course, like many I am an avid texter. I like buttons when I text. So, I'm not asking for much when upgrading my phone, right?

My son and I opted for the **Droid 2 Global **with the touch screen and keyboard. We were both a tad hesitant about texting on a touch screen. This feature made the phone more heavy and the price a little steeper. Which is fine. We were both really excited to get home with our new** Droid 2 Global **cell phones and start playing around with them. I am not technologically stupid by any means but I rapidly found that the **Droid 2 Global** was more phone (and hassle) than I wanted or needed!

**Pros:**- This phone can do anything. Seriously. I think it might even be able to save the world as long as it isn't dire that you NEED to read that text message or receive that particular email.- **The Droid 2 Global is FAST!** With 3G capablities, it may find what I need to know faster than my new laptop.- There is an app for any and everything. Seriously. I pulled up the app called Bartender and it showed you how to mix any drink imaginable.- It's cool. When I talked about my phone or showed it to people, they were impressed. Im not sure why.

**Cons:**-Text messages would appear in the status bar and when I would pull them down to read them, POOF! They disappeared! This happened quite a lot. So I called Verizon and talked to Steve. Steve informed me that this is a software problem and there is nothing Verizon can do about it but was hopeful it will be fixed in the next software update. Seriously Steve? I did google this problem and found MANY users complaining about it, as well.-I live in Metro Detroit. This is the city. There isn't a problem with cell phones dropping calls due to bad or unserviceable areas. YET, while I'm sitting on my couch and my phone is sitting next to me, I get a text message that says, "ANSWER YOUR PHONE!" It hadn't even rung! When calling my friend, she said she had kept calling my phone repeatedly and even left voicemails. I heard nothing. It wasn't on my caller id and YES, my ringer was on. :)-Battery LIfe - This is my biggest complaint with the **Droid 2 Global**! Recognized by everyone who owns a **Droid** and by Verizon staff (when I returned mine), the battery life stinks. I would wake up at 7am with a fully charged battery and by 1030am, my cell phone would need to be plugged back in. For those who use your phone for work, this isn't good. You can get a larger battery for the **Droid 2 Global **for a price. I wasn't willing to pay for it because at this point, I knew I was returning my Droid 2 Global within the allotted time.-Emails dont always come through. As I mentioned before, it's important that I receive my emails immediately. **The Droid 2 Global **didn't always come through right away and some never came through at all. When I would get on my laptop and sign into my yahoo mail and find 5 or more emails that never came through to my phone, I was livid.-Cheeky dropped calls - While in a call, if I were to laugh or smile, I almost always hung up on my caller. Touchscreen + chubby cheeks = No bueno.

My 30 days with the **Droid 2 Global **was up and I was returning it. Little did I know it would be such a hassle. Since the phones were Buy One Get One Free and I had already mailed in my rebates, I had to fork out a lot of cash when I turned my phone in. My son's phone was no longer free and I had to pay full price for it. Not to mention the new phone's charges that I was about to purchase in the **Droid 2 Global's **place.

If you are in the market for a new phone or are due to upgrade, keep in mind when shopping around that the **Droid 2 Global** isn't all it's cracked up to be. I may be in the minority since dozens of people have told me and facebooked me about how much they LOVE their **Droid** phones, including my son!

Maybe I'm asking too much for a phone that doesn't hang up on people when my chubby cheeks hit the screen.

great phone

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

I personally love this phone for personal use and business use. I love the size, the look & the keyboard. Taking pictures and videos have been great. Its light weight. Thank goodness I bought a screen protector and great case since my baby throws my phone around all the time. Overall, this phone has been pretty good. I had the DROID 1 too. Both are great phones. They were my first smart phone and first internet phone. No regrets. I enjoy using this phone. I take tons of pics of my baby since I was pregnantand everyday still. So I've lots of great memories from using this phone. Probably will change this phone only once it doesn't work anymore. We'll see how much longer it'll last of my baby throwing it around. Who knows it may last me another year haha

Battery Life
Typical if you're using it for videos or games then of course it'll drain your batteries

Great size and clear

Haven't had much issues

It's pretty easy to use. Simple. Didn't need to look through the manual to know how to use it. I just played around and learned how to use it

Good looking phone. Well at least I think its a good looking phone

• Call Quality:

Good phone that can do cool stuff

from West Jordan, UT

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

I got this phone a few years back, right when I came out, it is a very cool phone and very sharp to look at. Here are a few pros and cons of the phone;

Pros:
1. This is a nice looking phone
2. There are TONS of apps--not as many as Apple, but plenty.
3. It has a nice keyboard that is great for texting--makes it much quicker.
4. It accesses the internet and has a good interface.
5. This phone has a really big screen--it's fun to play games on, watch movies on, look at pictures on, etc.

Cons:
1. You have to be signed up for data on this plan--there is no option to just use it as a phone without data.

Overall, I would recommend this phone--only if you're in the market to be locked into data though.

• Battery Life:

My droid2 cellphone was a good first starter smartphone

from Tucson, AZ

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

it is a really cool phone, it is like a mini computer that fits into your pocket. this was my first smartphone. I upgraded this april to samsung stratosphere. Droid 2 global is a good first starter smartphone. It did everythng you wanted , the apps were cool. If you upgrade, i would stay always with motorola. They are better than samsung .

good battery

Display/Screen Quality
the screen is a good size but not reading certain emails like surveys.

great!

great!

it hangs in there with you. i still recommend a cover

design is good , but it should come in different colors

• Call Quality:

Love this phone, touch screen or key pad, easy to use and global

from Omaha, NE

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

I was excited to get this phone at first, then was disappointed because my battery wouldn't last very long. Only a few hours. Then I realized I needed to download an app that would turn off the things I wasn't using when the phone was sitting idle, like the internet, Facebook, etc. Now, I love this phone. It has everything you could want and you can use it internationally. It comes with many different charging adapters for international travel.

not my best choice

from Upland, CA

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

this phone is hard to learn how to use. I like it but I don't use most of the features yet, after 2 months.

Battery Life
I feel that the battery does not last enough time. I dont even use all the features and it runs down very quickly.

• Call Quality:

Good choice for a smart phone

from Richmond, VA

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

Battery is not as good as a dumb phone, but is better than the 4G phones. I just upgraded from the droid 2 to the Bionic, and my battery went from lasting 1 day with droid 2, to less than 10 hours with the bionic (on a good day). My camera on the droid 2 went at the 2 year point. The phone, overall, is a good phone.

lasts 1 day (for me)

Display/Screen Quality
my kids love to watch netflix on it, good to very good for the size of the screen.

I thought I would like the slide out keybord, but found I didn't need it. Slide out keybord makes it more restrictive when choosing carry cases.

• Call Quality:

Droid Global2 3G --- Classes on how to use your phone..really?!

from Tracy, CA

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

Yes the new (released fall/winter 2010) Droid Global 2x 3G network phone is amazing...and complicated.  Everything you need and didn't know you needed is literally at the palm of your hand.  Figuring out how to obtain what you need will definetely take many trial & error lessons to figure out.  In fact, the phone is known to be so much more than the average Joe's user that some of Verizon's corporate locations offer Saturday classes for an hour to demonstrate the phones use, capabilities and to answer questions.  Once you get started there is no stopping with finding new things that this phone is capable of doing.

You must have a willingness to learn and trouble shoot otherwise this phone can be overwhelming and more trouble than it's worth.  If you are not already computer savy it is a good idea to take the hour class and get associated with the functions of the phone.  Also ordering the phone online provides the deepest discounts; however, it was a major pain in the rear to get service hooked up, wifi connected and numbers transferred...and you can only go to the corporate stores for help, kiosks in the mall and independent offices for versizon are completely unhelpful.

But if you're like me and like to learn new things and don't mind trouble shooting and having a personal assistant who can do practically anything in a few seconds, then this is the phone for you!..I love it!!

Nice Phone

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

I love my phone, but it freezes up way too much. I would purchase another one like it.

Battery Life
I have to charge it everyday, even if I don't use it much.

Display/Screen Quality
Screen is great. I like how I can adjust the brightness.

Call Quality
Call quality is excellent.

Not hard to use at all.

Awesome. I drop mine all of the time.

I wish it was skinnier.

• Call Quality:

Droid 2 Global -- the phone that's "smart"er than many people!

from Riverside, NJ

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

The phone is great, though it does have a tendency to turn off or stop answering calls and otherwise gets balky, which occurs w/o warning. Powering off and on again usually fixes it (I'm on my 2nd one, and it's the same.). It does so many things that it takes a lot of exploring the options to fully utilize it. One of my favorite features is that I can talk my texts, and it writes them down, and I just have to send them. It does have a sliding keyboard, too, but I don't text much; I prefer talking.

Even for a baby boomer like me, getting the phone up and running isn't difficult, but exploring the many possibilities and apps available is very time-consuming, but worth it. Asking a younger friend or relative who's a member of the high tech generation saves some time, too. It's a little bigger and heavier than other phones, but still fits in purse pockets, etc. A screen protector and case are well worth getting, and an extended battery is a great idea, since you then have a spare. Keep it on, receiving data, and just generally using it does drain the battery. You'll probably be charging it at least once a day.

Mine is the global edition, and it worked fine overseas once they got it set up properly before I left. (I was on the plane with the attendant telling me to turn off my phone when they finished, so start the process before you get to the airport. I'm glad that I got it, and I would recommend it.

It got so balky and froze up so much that I had to return it. I found out that it was just the global version, not the regular one, and I was not along in that. I even met someone while I was in tech support at Verizon with the same global version and the same problems. All the people (including the tech guys) who had the regular Droid 2 Motorola phones loved them, since all the cool features worked, EVEN the phone part!! I now have the global HTC Incredible 2, which is much better!

How did I ever live without my Droid? -- UPDATED

from Elk Grove, CA

Comments about Motorola DROID 2 Global Smartphone:

I was a little skeptical about purchasing this phone because I really had my heart set on getting an IPhone. However, the buy one get one free offer and the competitive pricing of the service plan caused us to switch over to Verizon and go with these phones. I am very happy we did. I do not consider myself a "techie" but am fairly computer literate and have been able to figure out most functions of this phone. I am a busy stay at home mom and absolutely love the ease with which I can use it to stay on top of emails throughout the day. We also really appreciate the calendar function where I can post all of our appointments, reminders, etc and my husband can see them whenever he wants to . . . much easier than having a calendar hanging on our fridge! The camera takes awesome pictures and it is very easy to email them or upload directly to Facebook, etc. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is the battery does die out fairly quickly. I find that I need to charge it daily, occasionally I have had to charge it twice in one day (with heavy internet usage). Also, there are some applications which cause it to freeze up. But no big deal, you just exit the application and go back into it and it seems to work fine.

Battery Life
I have had this phone for one year now. Recently the battery has really not be performing well. It lasts about 4-5 hours, and that is just on standby. If I am surfing the net, playing games, etc, the batteries dies much quicker. Additionally, the charger that came with it has to be positioned exactly right on the phone in order for it to charge. My husband has the identical phone and it having the same issues.

The on-screen keyboard of my phone has started failing. This happens when texting, emailing, or doing any other length of typing.