View more cell phones

Motorola - Cell Phone

Motorola - Cell Phone

3.4

I730 Nextel Phone I loved this phone

I Loved this phone when I had it.  I owned it for 3 years and was still working perfect, until I decided to upgrade to the hybrid phone.  I gave it to my mother, and was still working for her when she upgraded over a year later.  This was my first flip nextel phone.  The phone sounded great, speaker clear, voice calls clear.  The screen was small compared to the phone I have now, and the phone is alot more bulky, but that is what most nextel phones were at that time.  The only thing is it didn't have a camera, in which wasn't important to me at the time, but Is a plus for me now.  And also Mp3 player  would of been nice. Battery life in that phone wasn't too great, I ended up buying the bigger capacity battery,  and battery door which helped alot.  I don't think this phone is available anymore, but I can say it was a good phone, Looked pretty good, and lasted me longer than any other phone I ever owned.

It's an average phone, but it's durable

I've been a techno-geek my whole life but always avoided getting a cell phone. Then I was hired by a big cell phone company (Nextel), which soon merged with a bigger cell phone company (Sprint) to form an even bigger cell phone company (Sprint Nextel). Part of the standard kit of tools I was given upon starting my employment was a Motorola i730 cell phone and a free domestic US calling plan. That was in May 2005 and I still have the i730 and it still works fine -- and I've never paid a nickel for the service. **What it is** The Motorola i730 is a standard flip phone that looks a little stodgy among today's fashionable phones. The front face of the phone has a basic LCD display that shows the signal strength, date/time and state of battery charge. The back side of the i730 has only a screened opening for the ringer, which does double-duty as a speaker when the i730 is used as a speaker phone. Flipping the phone open, the upper half of the inside has a 1.2 x 1.2 inch color screen that can be used to display menus and other information. The bottom half of the inside contains the keypad and menu navigation controls. As I look at these buttons, the left edge of the i730 has volume up/down buttons, push-to-talk button and a headphone jack. The whole thing weighs perhaps five or six ounces, with the battery installed. As far as I know, the Motorola i730 only works on the Nextel network. The Nextel network -- and the Motorola i730 -- is all digital. As far as I know, there is no analog fallback option.

Inserting the charging connector into the phone is a pain, definitely a two-handed job that takes concentration. **In use** I didn't take much time to study the manual, just enough to figure out how to get a few numbers stored. If you asked me to store a new number, I'd have to find the manual or struggle with the menus to figure it out, since using the numeric keypad and navigation controls to write words and get capitals correct is definitely not intuitive. The little color screen is generally easy to see, although it washes out badly in sunlight. The buttons are all big enough and easy enough to reach that I can easily punch in a number with one hand. The Motorola i730 can do a few interesting things, particularly on Nextel's data-friendly system. One very cool feature is called TeleNav, which is a GPS location- and destination-finding utility. You can punch in an address and the phone will direct you to it as you drive. Unfortunately, my phone does not have this feature although many of my co-workers do and I have seen it in use often. Another interesting feature of Nextel cell phones is "push-to-talk." This allows two Nextel phones to talk to each other like they are walkie-talkies, anywhere in the world where there is a Nextel network. The connection is more or less immediate, just like walkie-talkies. **Sound quality** The sound quality of the Motorola is a mixed bag, and much of this is due to the Nextel network. Connections are sometimes clean and clear, and other times voices sound like ducks sniffing helium. In an effort to squeeze more cell phone connections into every cell tower site, Nextel went with a compression encoder that's... um, quite aggressive. When this compression encoder switches in, the quality of the voices goes down the drain. I can still understand what's being said but it's much harder to recognize the voice. When there is less compression, voice quality is okay and intelligibility is good.

The i730 can be used as a speakerphone and it does a surprisingly good job for this. **Network availability and dropped calls** I'm generally pleased with the level of coverage I get with the Motorola i730 and the Nextel network. In any city or suburbs, I can almost always get a connection where I am, without having to seek a better spot. I try very hard to not use a cell phone while driving, so I almost always am stopped when using the i730. The few times I was in motion, results have been mixed. All I can say is that the Motorola i730 on the Nextel network has exceeded my expectations.  **Summary** I've spent a lot of time discussing what is almost certainly an obsolete cell phone. However, the Motorola i730 has been reliable and useful, so you should consider it if circumstances present it as a possibility. It's small enough to easily fit in a pocket or purse, and it's easy to handle with a single hand. The speakerphone feature works very well, as do options such as TeleNav. Note: I am an employee of Sprint Nextel, which gave me the Motorola i730 and pays for my service. I believe my review above is fair and impartial, but please take my background into perspective when deciding if this product (and related cell phone service) is right for you.

This is a good durable phone.

from Orland, CA

Comments about Motorola - Cell Phone:

I've had this particular phone for almost 3 years.  It's clipped to my waist several hours a day.  It gets dropped, particularly from my truck as I crawl in and out of it.  It's been kicked, dropped, stepped on, etc.  Still working, showing some wear, but still working.

Great service

from Hebron, KY

Comments about Motorola - Cell Phone:

I have had my phone for 5 years. I use it for personal use only.I recomend this phone if you only need it to make calls or to 2-way.You can not text on it. the plans are reasonable and certain employers will give you a discount for having service with Nextel. We have 3 phones on our account so we also get a discount for that too. You do have to make sure you dont go over your minutes or it could get expensive.

Sturdy work phone slim enough for a womans purse or pocket.

from Elmhurst, IL

Comments about Motorola - Cell Phone:

I have used Nextel for many years now.  I even used them for about a year with no contract running.  I like the walkie talkie service.  I just wish it could be between other carriers also.    I get great reception except way up north almost to Canada.  Apparently there are no towers up there.  I don't have the problem with dropped calls like many other people do.  It only happened to me once in all these years.  I like the fact that they make a slim sized phone that is sturdy enough for workmen to use on the job.

Dependable cell phone.

from Eubank, KY

Comments about Motorola - Cell Phone:

I chose the silver color for this phone and have had it now for a couple of years. It lasts and lasts! I had gotten a newer cell phone and it broke after only a few months, so I went back to using this cell phone and it's still going strong. I like this cell phone because it is easy to use and doesn't require a degree in technology! It allows me to text and talk, which is why I have a cell phone. It has been very dependable and durable. I also bought the larger battery so that I could talk longer without needing to charge it and it does the job. I can go several hours without charging with this phone. One drawback is that it does not have a camera on it, but that is also a benefit for the battery life and allows me to talk longer. I had no problems downloading content and could download with ease. I have ring tones and games on it that I play, too. Another drawback is the charger. I don't like the large part that needs to be connected to the phone when charging. This has caused the rubber protection on the bottom to end up being broken.

Nextel reception is spotty in North Jersey

from Paterson, NJ

Comments about Motorola - Cell Phone:

My employer has a Nextel corporate plan.  Initially, we could not even get service in the parking lot of our corporate headquarters.  Nextel did work with us and put in a closer receiver, however, calls still drop very easily in north Jersey.  Also, there seems to be a significant delay in receiving voice mail messages on my phone.  I would not want to rely on this phone in case of an emergency.

It gets the job done, I like this flip phone

from Kalamazoo, MI

Comments about Motorola - Cell Phone:

The phone is basic flip phone, it gets dropped alot and yet it keeps on working.  I wish it was easier to download pictures and new songs for ring tones.  The nextel reception area is poor, especially in a big town with lots of towers, lose alot of of calls or two ways.

Terrible Signal

from Morrisville, NC

Comments about Motorola - Cell Phone:

The Motorola i730's are nice phones with a vibrant color screen and download capabilities. over all I was happy with the usability. the menu is very user friendly and easy to read. I did like that the 'OK' button is in the middle of the navigation button, it's a bit easier to use than some of the other iden phones Sprint/Nextel has to offer. The i730 is very strong and durable. I dropped mine numerous times and it kept right on ticking. The only complaint I have is the poor reception. The way the GPS and cell antenna's are set up in the phone make it hard for alot of people to get reception in less than optimal conditions. The problem was bad enough that Sprint sent out a memo to service centers making sure that we tell customers to leave the antenna up and not to to touch or put their finger over it while on a call. Did I forget to mention that I work for an indrect Sprint dealer. If not for the poor reception issues the i730 would be a great phone.

Melissa

I730 Nextel Phone I loved this phone

from New Berlinville, PA

i730 is a old phone but good

from East Bridgewater, MA

Comments about Motorola - Cell Phone:

this nextel phone isnt the greatest but it is a simple phone it isnt covered in features so its easy to have a technically challenged person use it.  itsnt a good phone to go to after having a high tech one

good phone, had 4 years and son had 3 years before i got it

from Cicero, IL

Comments about Motorola - Cell Phone:

The i730 is a great phone.  My son had it for almost 3 years before he upgraded and gave his i730 to me.  I hav had it for almost 5 years and it still works fine and looks good.  It has also been dropped on very hard surfaces and still no problem.  My son just upgraded all phones to camera phones (we have 5 on our plan) plus many options.  I have a new grandson so this is great, also started doing text messaging, he got me the Motorola razor.