3.9
MB501
Motorola CLIQ Smartphone

Motorola CLIQ Smartphone

3.9

I love this new Motorola CLIQ cell phone!

I totally love this new Motorola CLIQ. I previously had a Blackberry 8900 and didn't like the web browser on it much. But the web browsing on the CLIQ is incredible! You can access the web quickly and even have multiple browsing windows open at the same time. The text messaging is so easy! Very simple to attach a photo or sound clip, and easy to send to multiple contacts. It also automatically checks my Facebook account for me to display my friend's updates. I can view them and reply to them from the main screen, or open a browser to do other things on Facebook. It will do the same thing for Twitter and other social websites, but I only have an account with Facebook right now. The app store is awesome! There are 1000s of free applications to download, and it's so easy to do so! Once downloaded you can organize them on one of the five home pages the CLIQ has. I have my games on one home page, tips and tricks on another home page, etc. The camera is very high quality too. I believe its a five megapixel lens and it takes incredible photos. Very easily these photos can be attached to a text message or uploaded to Facebook as a new profile photo. There are many editing features built in to the CLIQ that makes it very easy to rotate, crop or enhance the photograph. I can even take a picture and email it to my Flickr account! Right on the main home page is a quick link to accuweather.com which I also have set to show the current weather for my zip code. One tap brings up the local forecast for the next day. Then I can tap again to bring up the accuweather website in a browser for more options available on the internet. The alarm clock is very nice, having three different alarms you can have set at the same time. There's lots of different tones you can use to wake yourself up, and you can also select which days of the week you want each individual alarm to ring. The calculator is easy to use, and the calendar feature is simple too. It has a camcorder for recording video clips which can be stored to watch later or attached to a message to send to your friends. I really like the way contacts are stored too. They're stored in alphabetical order and you can tap and pull down the list to find the contact you need. If you touch and flick your finger it will scroll even faster to find contacts further down your list. Once a contact is selected, you have all sorts of options to do. It has a quick link to your Gmail account or to Google maps, Having the Google maps application is extremely handy when trying to find a location when you're not at your home computer. The CLIQ has three differnet instant messengers built in too... Such as AIM, Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo messenger. This works well for me since I often use the Yahoo messenger. There's a link to the App market with all sorts of free things to download. I downloaded a really fun pinball game which is great when killing time or just looking for something cool to do. I downloaded a flashlight application, which turns the entire screen a very bright white. You can use this when entering a dark room, or trying to find the keyhole on your outside door. I love the MP3 player too. VERY simple to use and listen to your favorite uploaded audio files. I have about twenty songs stored so far and a couple other audio files. The speaker quality is decent for a cell phone, and it plays loudly and still fairly clear too. Selecting between multiple uploaded MP3 files is simple to do. There's a quick link to your settings too, with a ton of stuff you can customize to your own liking. It also comes with the program called Shazam. I haven't tried this out yet, but I'm told when this program is running you can let the CLIQ listen to any possible song and the software determines the name of the song and the artist! I think this is amazing technology and I really need to try this out some time! There is a quick link to Youtube allowing you to search and play your favorite videos from that site. I like doing that, and it's so easy to do! The video player is set up really simple. I uploaded an entire South Park episode onto my CLIQ and can watch it on the very crisp and clear color screen. The keyboard is set up really nice and it didn't take very long to become familiar with the layout and figure out all the shortcuts. It has a four way navigational pad on the left side which is very handy for moving around on the screen, or for playing different games that utilize full movement like that. Capitalizing words, selecting symbols or numbers.. It's all very easy! Oh yeah, the Motorola CLIQ also has GPS! When you enable the GPS it will determine your exact location and give you a map and directions to your destination, just like the GPS you'd use in your vehicle. All and all, this phone is well worth the money and I'd recommend it to anyone!

It is a neat phone but does have issues.

This phone does have a lot of neat features including being very easy to use and it does about all you could really ask. However, the touchscreen can be very unresponsive. when you hit "END CALL" it does not respond in a timely manner causing me to hit it more than once leading to the endless "booty dial" syndrome.  it is  also been a chore to move or edit my contact list, most especially the speed dial list which took some major investigation to figure out how to delete  folks I should not have had on there to begin with.

On the flip side the Cliq has just too many options that can, frankly, be just overwhelming. Having your Facebook and Twitter friends spill all over your phone contacts is confusing despite some advanced filtering options. After five minutes of using the Cliq we had to put the phone down from fear of sensory overload.

All this talk of social networking and sharing almost makes us forget that there is, well, also a phone in there. The Cliq has a dialer similar to the iPhone but also sports a physical keypad. And surprise, it's been tweaked to offer up social networking metadata: There's a mashup of e-mails, direct messages and status updates mixed in with icons indicating mixed calls, voicemails and contacts.That part is a pain. i mean really who wants their Facebook and myspace.com friends mixed with their regular contacts.!

Loved this phone

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

I loved this phone when I got it, it was easy to setup and i loved the interface, and the fact that i could slide it open and use the keyboard to type was a plus for me. It was fast and the size is convenient if you need something that's not to small but not to big. It came with BOB which is a game and i loved it.

• Battery Life:
  • Display/Screen Quality:
  • Call Quality:

Motorola fails again!

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

The Motorola Cliq is hands down the worst phone I have ever owned. I don't even know where to begin. I suppose I'll just make a list of everything I disliked.

- Dropped my calls constantly

- Didn't receive several texts or voicemails

- Didn't send several text messages

- Rebooted itself at random times throughout the day

- Force closed on almost any program I used

- Froze when I would be doing something important online

- Slow network

- Low memory

- Small Screen

- The battery cover always popped off

- Touch screen never wanted to work unless tapped repeatedly

- Low battery life

It was an alright phone when it wanted to work, but for the most part it was just another failure by Motorola. The ONLY thing I liked about this phone was that it had the Android network. Other than that, I absolutely hated it. I would take my old dinosaur cell phone over that thing any day. At least that phone worked whenever I needed it to. I would also just like to add that my mom has the Motorola Cliq. She has all the same problems I did, so I know it wasn't just MY phone.

Motorola Cliq Cell Phone

from Olathe, KS

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

I have owned this phone for over a year, and it is my first 'smart' phone with all the bells and whistles, and I really love it. It has held up quite nicely, I love being able to acess the web with my phone, the touch scan or keypad option is great for texting and web browsing. The phone is also very durable, as i have dropped it several times and it has never gotten more than a couple scrap marks on the outside, the screen is still is great shape. We are not a family that upgrades when new gadets comes out, but so far I find that motorola products are really the best phones and will definitely last 2 years without need of replacement of the phone or the battery. We usually upgrade every 2 years, so I plan to have this phone for at least a few more months and don't forsee a problem with that as the service has been great, I don't get dropped calls or have any problems with reception either. This is by far best phone I have ever owned in the past 10 years.

It could be better

from Queens Village, NY

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

I had this phone since it first came out. I preordered it. I loved it at first but now it's a pain. It freezes alot(sometimes I can't answer calls on the touch screen because the buttons don't come up) and I have to turn off the power frequently to get it to work I again.Other than that the phone works just fine.the sound is great and are the widgets. The camera takes great pictures however there isn't any flash. The battery doesnn't really last that long if you are using applications or the web. I keep a a charger handy for long trips.

Not worth the money

from Alexandria, VA

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

This phone is very poorly made.  I bought this phone at full price for my daughter, who's in college. She has had to replace the phone three times due to technical issues with the phone.  The screen is forever messing up and once the screen is gone, the phone is basically useless. We have called the cell phone company each time it happens and they **always** cannot fix the problem, but have to send out a new phone.  Very frustrating. Do not recommend to anyone.

The motorola cliq is. . . so so. . .

from Meridian, ID

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

I've had the motorola cliq for about a year and a half now. I enjoyed a lot of things about it at first, but began to get frustrated with some things after a while. I love the full keyboard, first of all. All phones I get from now on will always have a full keyboard. It's easier for me to text with. The battery only lasts around 12 hours or so, so I have to remember to turn it off when I can't use it in order to make sure it lasts on my way home for work, which is unfortunate because I can't know if there is a family emergency or if someone needs to contact me. Also, the touch screen isn't that smooth. Anyone who has used am ipod touch or any apple touch screen, knows just how smoothly they work. They are VERY smooth and the motorola cliq touch screen isn't nearly as smooth. I enjoy the android market as well, but I don't have wifi or 3g hardly any of the time, no matter what my cell phone service is. I only get access to youtube and other internet sites when I'm in a big city.

At 1st it was ok, didn't stand the test of time...

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

At the time I got this phone, it was a great upgrade as compared to a G1 in many ways and it was the only other option.  The MotoBlur functionality was fantastic, at first, since there weren't built in Android options or programs available to do some of what MotoBlur could do.  Since that time in the last year and a half...this has been a crippling factor.  Motorola clearly has played favorites with the Droid (and why wouldn't they...there were a lot more of them sold) but for Cliq users, it's been pretty bad.  It took well over a year to finally get a real OS upgrade to bring it to 2.1.  They only realeased some patches/hotfixes over the entire year.  Now that it's at 2.1, I'm reasonably satiated for the time being, but am only doing so until a better phone comes along.  At this point even at a free with contract, I wouldn't recommend buying this phone.  It's way too outdated to do so. If you're looking at picking it up on Ebay to tide you over until you're eligible for a discounted contract phone, then I say go for it but only at a cheap price.

super cliq

from Hollywood, FL

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

This was me second moto the razr was my first.The motorola cliq xt was not my type of phone at first but once i started getting use to it i started to really enjoy it.  Im not a big fan of touch screen but overall im loving the phone.  It has so many apps to download and so many useful items available.  I was able to link up all my networking with my contacts and didnt even have to get pics of people it automatically linked it up for me.  My email goes straight to my phone and im able to use IM so easily and be coneected to more than one.  My kids even love the phone and there are lots of programs to keep them busy while waiting in line or at the dr offices.  I even have access to google maps and gps which i absolutely love since i have wanted gps for awhile now just never had the money to do so but now i have it included in my phone.  Overall this phone is great for me and my busy life and helps for when it slows down and i just want to connect with friends or play some game.

Good entry level Andoid.

from Virginia Beach, VA

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

This was my first Android phone.  It started on the v1.5 and just recently got an over-the-air upgrade to v2.1.  That's nice, but the upgrade to 2.1 came AFTER the 2.2 had already come out.  Not much has changed except the look of the touch buttons, and the availability of certain apps in the Android market.  For example, I can download Angry Birds now, but it doesn't work on the phone... This phone is not for the tech-savvy.  I will be upgrading and ditching Motorola ASAP.

Save Your Money!

from Jacksonville Beach, FL

Comments about Motorola CLIQ Smartphone:

I would recommend not buying this phone. It was my first smart phone, so obviously I was very happy with it when I first got it. I had never had so much information at my fingertips! Then after a few months, everything started slowing waaaay down. It takes forever for an application to open or for the browser to load. There are also alot of bugs with the touch screen, it doesn't always recognize when I 'tap' an option. The biggest downside to this phone is the fact that T-Mobile won't put out an update for the operating system! This prevents SOOOO many useful and popular apps from being used for this phone. I've called their customer service about the issue many times, and they have no future release date for the software in mind. If you're an android fan, I suggest saving yourself a huge headache and buying a different brand/model! Or, if you're like me, you can switch to Verizon and get the new iPhone from them! :D