Other Misc. Home Improvements:

Minwax Polyurethane

Good for Sealing

from Utah

Comments about Minwax Polyurethane:

I built a couple large bookshelves for our home office, and a friend recommended that I put polyurethane on them to protect the wood from liquid spills. I stained the shelves with Minwax stain, and then I added this polyurethane over the top. For indoor use, it has worked great. It gave the shelves a slightly glossy and smooth look, making them look more finished. I haven't spilled a drink on them, but I have occasionally set a glass on them that was sweating water on the bottom rim of the glass. This polyurethane did a good job of sealing the shelves and keeping the water out of the wood. It was also pretty easy to apply, simply sung a brush to brush onto the shelves. As long as I didn't saturate the brush, it didn't run when I applied it to the shelves (but less than saturation on the brush was still enough to get enough polyurethane onto the shelves). Personally, I think I would only use this for indoor use though. I don't think I would put it on a deck or outdoor furniture that will be out in the rain.

Good reliable quality that goes on easy and wears well!

from Surprise, AZ

Comments about Minwax Polyurethane:

So, this all started with buying a foreclosure in AZ. My wife needed a bank of custom built drawers that had to exactly match those already in our bathroom. They were directly adjacent o them....no room for error.

In the end, after much trial and error, what I found would work well was a Miniwax gel stain, and this polyurethane.

I love the fact that it's fast drying. You can get multiple coats on in one day...only making your house smell bad for a couple of days in total.

However, if you work slowly, it might bother you as there isn't a "wet edge" to work with for very long. This may be worse here in AZ where the temperatures are high and the humidity is insanely low.

The overall finish, the cost, and I'm now finding, the durability, is top notch. I've used a lot of good miniwax products, and this meets their high standards.

We also have 4 cats in the house, so the fast drying nature alleviates the stress of worrying that their nosy little feet are going to find a newly poly'd surface before it's dry too.

Finally....speaking of cats. This surface is relatively durable....but it's not an epoxy. Cats and dogs can scratch it pretty easily. If you want some thing of even better durability go to an epoxy....not usually used on wood due to it's lower quality of "fine finish", but highly durable!!

Overall, recommended without apprehension as long as you read the above ad know the potential trade-offs.

Make sure you read your label!

from Summerville, SC

Comments about Minwax Polyurethane:

Ok, I have been working on this bedroom set for my daughter since the summer. I had to strip the old paint and put new paint. I decided to paint it white. Then, I decided to put poly on it. Well, I put it on my furniture. The next day there was amber spots all over. I cried. After looking all over the container, I found in the smallest writing on the whole can. I mean small. It does state that is is not advised to use on light colored wood. I think that is something that should be very large on the front. And by the way, who reads the entire paint can????? Even the smallest print on the back? It states on the front that it is clear gloss. Well, I may be silly but clear does not mean amber in my book. It looks as if someone has had this furniture for years and has been smoking all around it. I am sooooo disapointed!!!! I called the help line and they were very apoligetic but that does not help that their product really disapointed me.

I am having a hard time even thinking about recommending this product to anyone. I feel like I had been mis lead.

Minwax Polyerethane is the Best for finishing any wood project.

from Clearwater, FL

Comments about Minwax Polyurethane:

When ever I am ready to finish any woodworking project,  I always choose Minwax Polyerethane.  There product line gives several options to choose from.  Depending on what type base I want to use,  Minwax Polyerethane can be used for interior and exterior uses.  Minwax Polyerethane also provide brochures which shows the type of finishes,  so you can choose the right product for the desired finish.  When some asks me about finishing a woodworking project,  I always recommendMinwax Polyerethane because it simple to use and the price right.