Other Tablets:

Microsoft Surface With Windows RT

Pros

Cons

Great hybrid device!

I have been using Microsoft Surface With Windows RT since a long time now. It is a great hybrid device that is capable of working both as a tablet and a laptop. This device is stylish yet durable and very robust, which is surprising for a device of its size. I absolutely love its touch cover, somehow I am always able to type faster while using it. I love the fact that this device is quite compact in size. Its display is definitely one of best that I have seen in a tablet. There is also an option of connecting an external display via the HDMI port which is as simple as a plug and play process! The battery is quite long lasting and it has good quality front and rear cameras. Although this is a great device to have and works equally well as a laptop and as a tablet, I would not replace my laptop with this. Overall, a great hybrid product that you are certain to appreciate if you are a windows fan!

Solid Hardware, Confusing Software

Microsoft is going against the current tablet trends and trying something new and innovative by including a keyboard that is integrated into the cover of the Surface. The tablet and the keyboard hardware worked well together. The keyboard was reasonably easy to type on and included a track pad that could be used to control the Windows 8 RT Metro interface (instead of the touch screen). The tablet hardware appeared to be well manufactured. It has nice features such as the built in kickstand to make it operate more like a laptop when sitting on a table and using the keyboard. The Surface has your typical assortment of cameras, speakers and headphone jack. It also has a USB port and a MicroSDXC slot for additional storage. You can even use an external Bluetooth mouse or keyboard with the Surface.

The Windows 8 RT software however is not very intuitive and took a long time to get the hang of. I had to go through the 'Learn Windows 8' app just to figure out how to get back and forth between applications. The Metro tiles interface is laid overtop of a standard Windows style desktop and you can switch back and forth between them. If you have used an iPad or Android tablet it will likely be confusing as to when you will want to use the Windows desktop and when to use the tiles.

The Metro interface requires you to swipe from the sides to reveal 'charms' to adjust the Surface settings, to close apps or to switch between currently open apps. After several weeks using the Surface, I'm still not used to where and how exactly you have to swipe to reveal which function. The swiping has to be from a pretty specific area and doesn't allow for much error.

The included Microsoft Office software makes the Surface with Windows RT an interesting option if you need basic software use but do not need a full laptop. Overall, the Surface hardware worked well and was a great generation 1 product from Microsoft. The operating system and software left a lot to be desired. After using other popular tablets, this one I felt was difficult to learn and understand the operation of.

Battery Life
The battery kept a charge similar to other tablets. My biggest complaint is there is no battery meter shown on the display at all times. The only places I could find the battery indicator was on the opening screen or when I activated the charms menu. Once you were into the surface it was difficult to know how much battery was left without purposefully going to find the battery meter. There was no indicator on the sliding main Metro tiles screen or in any of the apps. On several occasions my child would bring it to me telling me 'it just died...without warning'. It was pretty frustrating.

Processing Speed
The Surface was very responsive and able to run apps and play games effectively without lag. It handled HD streaming video just fine without stuttering or lag. I never felt like I wanted it to be faster so I didn't have to wait for an app to load or process.

Weight
It was within a few ounces of my iPad. It is definitely lighter than a traditional laptop.

App Availability
I kept scrolling through the apps thinking....this is IT!? Anymore, the apps are what make the device. Most of the popular tablet apps have made their way onto the Surface RT platform but certainly not all. Windows 8 RT tablets can not run traditional Windows based software. They can only run software from in the Windows apps store much like the iPad and Apple App Store or Androids and Google Play store.

I am hoping that as Microsoft continues with the Surface more apps will become available. I understand these apps take time and development but if you are thinking there will be a wide range and great variety of usable apps as on the other platforms, you are mistaken.

Everywhere I took the Surface I received compliments on the size of the screen and the bright colors. I was glad for the kick stand but I do hold a concern for the edges of the kickstand. I am concerned that there is a chance of scratching the surface that it is perched on. The magnets that connect the smart cover to the Surface itself are strong. I never had it come loose with out my taking it off. I think the magnets that connect the charging cord to the Surface could be a bit stronger. The Surface seems durable. In my testing my kids dropped it (accidentally) several times with out a scratch or dent. These drops were on carpet.

As written above we did drop it several times on carpet. Nothing happened. I am not sure what would happen if it were dropped on a harder surface, like a sidewalk, but for the paces we put it through it passed.

My tablet

from Atlanta, GA

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Bright
  • Sharp Tones & Colors

Cons

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

I like my tablet because it's just like a mini-computer. The desktop function is particularly useful because I can switch back and forth between the traditional desktop style and the new tile style. With the tile style, I can customize it to suit my needs. Because it's Windows based, it's not difficult to use.

• Primary use:
      • Personal

The best tablet I've found.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

I have other tablets and they always fell short in the area of doing stuff that I have to do for work, it was just really hard to be able to do anything on them other than being able to check and reply to e-mails. I got the Microsoft surface because it has the ability to do things on Microsoft word and other Microsoft works programs, so making working from wherever I am really easy without having to take a big bulky laptop. It also has a snap in keyboard that is great and makes it easy to type on it. It is very fast and always opens things so quickly. The battery is really remarkable on this, it lasts for well over eight hours all of the time. It is so light weight and easy to take with me anywhere, I stick it in my bag and go. My kids love to also play on it and it is really fast with movies and games when they use it. There are lots of apps that you can download to use with this and it runs everything that I have ever put on it flawlessly. It is a great tablet and the best one you can buy.

• App Availability:

Excellent media device and web browser!

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

Before I knew anything about the Surface I thought that there was only one model with different hard drive capacities, so when I purchased the RT I figured I was buying a tablet that runs full windows. I was completely wrong and realized very quickly between full windows and Windows RT. The only programs I could install on this device were apps from the Windows Store. I was upset at first, but I got over it once I figured out that this device met my needs and that it could be an excellent media tablet. I have used this device to stream countless hours of movies/television shows and music to my television seamlessly with the help of Chromecast. I also play older versions of GTA, Metal Gear Solid, and Fifa Soccer at a good frame rate despite not having an i5 processor. I also was surprised by how effortlessly the quad core processor handled me streaming music, and video while having 5 tabs open at the same time. I wish the screen had a better resolution, but the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't a big deal on a 10.6 inch screen.

great little tablet

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

This tablet really delivers in the technology department in my opinion. The new Windows 8 operating system is really nicely designed and it makes for an eye-pleasing experience. I would recommend this tablet for any kind of student because it is easy to work with and it has a beautiful design. Definitely worth the price.

Battery Life
      I have not had one problem with the battery life on this tablet like I have hade problems in the past with other tablets. You can play games, search the web, and write a paper all within one battery life. It lasts for a very long time!

Processing Speed
      Very quick processing speed, no problems in that department. Applications are quick to download and easy to open, you don't have to wait forever to load your favorite apps.

Weight
      For its size, it does seem a little bit heavy. I think it could have been lighter if different materials were used possibly.

App Availability
      There are a lot of different apps available for this tablet and a lot of cool free ones as well.

It kind of sucks because when you close the built in stand, you have to watch out so you don't snip your finger in it.

I have seen no problems with durability so far.

• App Availability:

Great laptop replacement and iPad alternative

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

Other than being able to run the most processor intensive tasks, this tablet covers all my needs.

Processing Speed
      The processing speed isn't exactly the issue. It is rather the chip type. The RT surfaces have an ARM chip whereas the Surface Pro models have an I3/5/7 processor. This means the pro models can run any legacy app or developer software. The RT models, sadly, cannot.

Weight
      Surprisingly lighter than I was expecting. The type keyboard weighs almost as much as the device itself.

App Availability
      Since it is Windows RT, they're are some intensive and legacy apps that cannot run on it. Most of my apps are available in the app store.

The ability to connect real USB devices and run video to an external display are some of the best features. My only real compliant is with the optional touch keyboard. The touch pad pointer area wasn't very responsive and the audible click sound was disruptive in quiet environments. We have since switched to a type keyboard with mechanical buttons and it is much better. It is well worth the extra cost and weight.

• App Availability:

great for high school students

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

If you're looking to buy your kid a tablet that's great for the purpose of typing up essays, presenting power points, and school usages(like taking notes) this is the best choice you'll get. Unlike the iPad, it includes a full version of Microsoft's very own 2013 Office and a keyboard. There's not that many applications in the App Store, but that makes it an even targeted use for students.

Processing Speed
      It's an ARM Processor, so don't expect too much out of it.

multitasker tablet

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

For people that are used to Microsoft products, this is an awesome tablet. This tablet was not only an app version but also a desktop version which is awesome because it feels like you have a mini desktop. In addition, I love that you can split the screen--while reading on one side, you can type on Microsoft word in the other. It is definitely very useful for students since it's small and not too heavy. The downside of it is the apps. Many of the apps do not work very well. But overall its a great product for everyday tasks.

Great overall tablet

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

The Microsoft Surface tablet is fantastic. I have read on other reviews that some people have had some issues with the RT version, but I haven't had any problems whatsoever, and I really make my tablet work. I have used both Android tablets and the iPad, and I can honestly say that I prefer the Surface over the others when it comes to usefulness and productivity. If you are just looking for something to surf the internet or mess around on social networks like Facebook, Twitter, etc., then any tablet will do. But, if you are looking for a tablet you can actually do some work on, the Surface is the one to get.

Overall, I like the design. The size is good. The screen is good. It doesn't look like a toy, like some other tablets. The detachable keyboard is a great thing to have, too. Battery life is pretty average for a tablet. That's an issue that's less about the actual tablet, no matter what brand, and is more about current battery technology. Just like with smartphones, wi-fi does use up a lot of battery life. If you want to conserve battery life and aren't using the wi-fi, disable it. You'll gain a lot more battery life. This goes for any tablet or smartphone, not just the Surface.

The only drawback is the lack of apps. The important ones are available, though, like Facebook, Twitter, and a lot of other major apps. Plus, there's Microsoft Office included. More and more apps are added every day, though, and as more people buy Windows 8 tablets, more apps will be developed. Sure, Android and iPad have a LOT of apps available, but have you noticed that a large amount of them are just duplicates, like 10,000 calculators. Who needs or even wants to choose from 10,000 calculator apps?

It's extremely easy for all your Windows devices to work together. I can start a document on my PC and work on it for a while. Save it to SkyDrive. Later, no matter where I am, I can open it on the Surface and continue working on it (without having to connect the Surface to the PC or anything). I can even access the file from my phone without having to connect it to the PC or tablet. Plus, all your contacts can be synced across all devices, too.

It's a great tablet. Most of the negative comments I have seen about it are people who hate Microsoft just for the sake of hating Microsoft and they've never even touched a Surface. If you want a tablet you can use for more than just internet browsing, social media, and games, this is the one to get.

What a convenience

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

This little baby was a purchase made to help me continue to manage family business whip our laptop was in for extended service. I started with a 7" tablet from another company, and it didn't meet my needs due to the size. Made the decision to go with something larger and when I found out this comes loaded with Windows- I was elated. This not only helps me to be productive for my family, I've used it for work when a laptop was just a little too big, and I get along great, Love the memory and the USB port. What a dynamite addition to our technology!

Battery Life
      Long, long, long. I can go all day and then some. Very quick to recharge. It's only depleted the battery all the way twice.

Processing Speed
      Very fast- sometimes can beat the laptop.

Weight
      Hardly know it's in my purse.

App Availability
      More than meets what I needs. I've never found that I miss any of the apps some people get through another (similar) product.

Super easy and convenient to use. Gets a lot of looks too. The keyboard attachment is super easy, and the kickstand allows versatile positioning.

Yes, it has been dropped a couple of times. Thankfully, it's just fine. Wouldn't encourage someone to drop any device on purpose.

Niether fully Microsoft Windows or App enabled tablet

Comments about Microsoft Surface With Windows RT:

The surface is niether fully Microsoft Windows or App enabled tablet. The user is constrained to only using Microsoft approved apps so you can't add toolbars or anything that wouldn't make Microsoft shine

Good Battery Life

Fair Processing Speed

Weight
      I was pleasantly surprised at how light weight the Surface RT is.

App Availability
      Only Microsoft approved apps can easily be loaded onto the RT system. If you want to add your favorite toolbar and it isn't Microsoft's favorite toolbar, too bad. If you want to put on a random application that doesn't come from the Microsoft App Store, that won't work either.

The Surface has a nice look and feel. The onboard keyboard has keys that are big enough to use without hitting the wrong one

The surface seems like it will last for a long time. The glass appears to be durable and it is obvious that the designers thought seriously about how it might be used.