3.9

3.9

Pros

Cons

Why I am glad I upgraded to Office 2007

A few months ago we saw a preview of Office 2007 during a Tech conference at work and I volunteered to pilot it before they released it company wide.  I absolutely love it!  The only reason I can't give it 5 stars is because of the three reasons I listed below.  I believe everyone knows what Excel, Word, and Powerpoint are, so I'm just going to list some of my favorite new features instead of tell you all about it.

**On the Downside:**

1. I know some people who aren't very computer savvy are going to have a hard time adjusting
2. There is a slower load time with all the programs now.  Sometimes it's real quick, sometimes it's real slow
3. Not everything translates to 2003, even if you save it as a 2003 file.  I had a pretty colored excel sheet, sent it to my boss and she only saw the text, no borders and no colors.  I found that I have to seek out which colors are compatiable with Office 2003 and only use those.  I'm just hoping the world moves to 2007 so that all these new features will be even more useful.

**Improvements in All the programs**

- Ribbons: Toolbars and Menus have been replaced with Tabs and Ribbons.  I like this.  You can see a lot of options on each ribbon and it's very conveinent.  It takes some getting used to, but I prefer it over the toolbars we used to have.  Options are more visible now, so I find myself doing things I never tried before.
- Live Preview: There are many styles and visuals in all the programs such as colors in excel, slide designs in powerpoint or fonts in word.  You can mouseover any of these to preview it on your document without actually applying any changes.
- Online Guide: The online interactive guide is neat.  They show you Office 2003, you click on a function you used to do in 2003, and then the guide will show you how to do it in 2007.  It's very helpful since they changed all the menus and a lot of the terms around in Office 2007.
- Recent Documents: Instead of showing just 4 or 5 recent docs, there is room for around 16!  I love this.  I go through a lot of files throughout the day so it's nice to see this many recent docs.  Also, you can "pin" a doc so they will always stay in the recent docs list.  Very cool.
- Default Font: I always hated Times New Roman, which used to be the default font for Office.  I'm not sure what the actual name of the font is now, but it's much prettier than Times New Roman.  Now I never have to change the font like I used to do for every document before.

****Improvements in **Excel 2007**

- Sort/Filter by Color: I often highlight cells as I am reviewing documents and always thought it would be nice if I could sort by color later on.  Now I can!  Filter by any color in the column, or sort the same way.  There are also various more sorting and filtering options.
- Color/Image Coding: You can auto color code a range of cells just by highlighting the cells and choosing what you want.  For example, highlight a range of numbers and choose the Arrow Image.  Now all the highest numbers will have a green arrow pointing up, the lowest will have a red arrow pointing down, and the middle numbers have a orange arrow pointing sideways.  There are various color codings and image sets already set up for this, and you can also create your own.
- Tables: You can turn any range of data into a table by highlighting it and hitting "insert table".  Now it's much easier to color every/other row, make a special header, and add a Totals row.

****Improvements in **Word 2007**

- Word Count: In Word 2003, I had to find this in a menu everytime, then it popped up in a window which I had to close.  After making changes, I had to repeat. Now I got what I always wanted!!  They show the dynamic word count in the status bar.  It updates as I type. I love it!
- Full Screen Reading: Click this shortcut to clear the screen and just see your document in a book like format.  Read your work without being distracted by toolbars and instant messages!!
- Margins: It is so easy to change margins.  Word defults to really large margins, now I can easily select "narrow margins" or other options with a click of a button.  It's easier than typing in the margins for each side.

**In The End**You decide!  If any of these improvements sound beneficial to you, you should look into upgrading.  If these don't seem like features you really need or use, then stick with 2003 as long as you can.  Since I use excel everyday at work, these features have definitely made my life easier.  There are many I haven't mentioned because I am still discovering them myself!  Check it out and Enjoy!!

Hard to get used to some features

I primarily use Microsoft Word and Excel - and use both on a daily basis for work and personal business.  I occassionally use PowerPoint.  Generally I am a quick learner, but I had a hard time getting used to the Word 2007 edition.  Otherwise I can't see any downfalls to the product.  I have found that saving a Micrsoft Word document the program allows me to decide whether I want to save as a "word document", "word template" for using as a taking off point for future documents or a "word 97-03 document".  I have found that by saving as a "word document" it then makes my documents compatible with friends/families computers that still run Microsoft Office 2003.  This saves alot of time and struggle.  I have not used the save as a "word template" feature yet, but can see how it would be quite useful for fax cover sheets, job cover letters, sales receipts, etc - anything a person was needing to modify or change on a regular basis.  Overall I would recommend this product - it's not difficult to use if you have used other Microsoft Office products in the past..just like with anything else it's tedious to learn something new.

Quality Windows Programming Once Learned

from Utah

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

I used Microsoft Office 2007 on my office computer while working in graduate school. I did a lot of work in Word and Excel, and some occasional work in PowerPoint (preparing sideshows for a teacher for his classes) and Access (for the student database). I had previously used Office 2003 through college, and I was very used to the way that the 2003 version operated. The transition to 2007 was not a completely smooth one. I had the most problems with the new version of Word. They seemed to be trying to streamline the toolbars and make the top of the page look a lot cleaner, but in doing so, they took some of the most used icons and put them under drop down menus and other places, making them very difficult to find. I wasted a lot of time simply trying to find where things were that used to be obvious and easily accessible. But once I found the new places where things were hidden, the program does work well. It's a quality program that I enjoyed using once I learned it.

I like it and use it for all my business needs

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

I first bought Microsoft office 2007 professional for when I was in college and I got a student discount probably the only reason I bought it at the time. I installed it on 3 computers without any problems and it works great still. I do not see the see the need to go out and keep upgrading this particular program due to the fact that you can only upgrade and update the same program so many times. To me they are all the same this program worked great for my reports and term papers but all i really need is Microsoft word. The rest in my opinion is just filler except for maybe creating power points presentations for my business i have had to do that several times over the years in order to keep ahead of my competition for my business. This is great for anyone that needs to use all of the features. Besides getting spammed and have pop ups from Microsoft every few weeks asking to upgrade I have no other issues or complaints. Buy this version it is cheaper and has the same stuff thank you very much for your time in reading my review.

This product is very easy to use.

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

At first, I was floored by all the changes! I couldn't find the "File" tab, to do "File<Save" or "File<Print" etc. After 8 minutes of utter confusion, I realized that I had to press the Office Button at the left-hand top corner of Word and I've been in love with Microsoft Office 2007 Professional ever since. In short, if all you've ever used were older versions of Microsoft Office, this new software will take some getting used to. However, once you've acquainted yourself with the new changes, you'll see that these changes make life a lot easier.

Excellent Product

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

Good options, did what ever I needed to be done. Many functions available but for few never used. Easy to use and very understandable. Easy download and registration was seamless and without any issues. I would recommend using this. It is an excellent investment!

Adequate for Most Office Functions

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

Overall, Microsoft provides a well rounded, fairly intuitive, definitely adequate suite of office products in the Office Professional 2007 Package.

Let's be honest, most offices don't require very technically complicated office software. In fact, it is often much better if the software packages are easy to use, intuitive and integrate well with each other. Though some in your office may need the advanced features that are, indeed present, most of your daily office functions will be more than adequately served through Office Professional.

If this describes your office environment, then Microsoft Office Professional is probably going to be an awesome addition to your workplace. I love the basic tools, including Microsoft Word, which is incredibly intuitive and easy to navigate through. It does just about everything I could ever want, from making forms through to printing envelopes.

Excel is also a fairly easy to grasp and use spreadsheet package. It is especially easy to import and export data for everything from presentations to charts.

I use Microsoft Publisher a LOT, but, to be honest, I needed to go to a workshop to really get a firm grasp on what it can do, and I still feel like I am only mid-level. . .though, it was only a one day workshop and I have published everything from newsletters to pamphlets, to booklets on it with no real problems.

So, I would highly recommend this suite of programs, which will address just about everything a typical office needs to do. . .word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentations, and publishing. It's an added bonus that the entire suite, being Microsoft programs, talk to each other and integrate with each other beautifully.

Solid and well worth the money.

The right amount of flash and function

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

Starting with 2010 they started making it to graphical and bloated. This version was right in between had all nice features and was stable. They also made outlook much more user friendly in this version. Word changed but still had all functions needed for daily operation in ease of access.

A great program, with a price.

from Dayton, TN

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

Microsoft has rewritten the Office interface.  The "ribbon" has replaced the standard toolbar.  Items are grouped better, but as others say, it is a learning curve.  Overall, a new user could learn pretty quickly, while previous version users will have to hunt a little for the usual commands.  While the program is not a slim version, a standard computer today with 1 gig of ram should have no problems running it.  The biggest cons are the file format is new.  If you save a file, previous versions can not open it.  You have to manually save as a 2003 or older file type.  The second con is the price.  For advanced users and Outlook users, this is a must.  For everyday users, get something like openoffice.

Starting from Scratch

from Milan, IL

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

Office 2007 is a great leap forward for Microsoft. Many of the features are now hard to find, but they are actually in grouped better overall. 2007 is very different than 2003, but has many new features, especially in outlook. The auto-email feature is an admin's dream for new users. the .___x extension and the non-natively forward compatibility is a pain, but will subside as time goes on. I would recommend this to all.

Get ready for a change... But, how good is it?

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

Get ready for quite the change here!If you are a current MS Office user, you will find the latest version a great surprise.As always, fist of all, you will find that this new version requires a better machine to do exactly the same as the older ones. Even though, you are probably using Vista too, so you are probably aware of this, or can run it without much problems (If not, take in consideration upgrading your RAM to at least 2GB before installing this!).Office 2007 offers a completely new view. Forget everything you knew about office, this is a new experience.No more menus, no more button bars. Everything now is there for you to see and use.Every tool is now represented by icons, grouped on different tabs, quite intuitive for the new user.Although as this may sound good, the experienced user will find himself wondering 'where did everything go!'?New users will find this version easier and good looking, but we, experienced users, will have a hard time re-learning everything from scratch, just to exactly the same thing we did yesterday with older versions.

Make sure your computer has a lot of RAM

from Claremont, NH

Comments about Microsoft Office 2007 Professional:

Program runs slow on computers without a lot of RAM!! This has created a large problem for me. Basic programs like word can take 3 to 5 minutes to open. Really slows down the production. Consider this when deciding what your best operating plaform is.