Other Cat Foods:
45421, 29274-50797, 3013609

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

Cats DO ask for it by name!

I have 8 indoor cats and 5 semi-feral cats that I feed daily.  They all eat Meow Mix Original Choice.  The price is reasonable and sometimes coupons are available which makes it better.  All the cats seem to enjoy this dry food and they are all healthy.  The only con I can think of is when the cats throw up, which can happen no matter what they eat, it will leave a stain on our carpet if I don't get it right away.  I think they add too much dye to the food.  Cats don't care what color their food is, they just care about the taste.

the amount of dye concerns me

Our cats--1 from the country, and 1 a stray, but now indoor catsexclusively--do not like its taste!   The dye content concerns me--Isee no benefit in the dye; rather consider it a risk factor.  Tried once,but will not buy again.

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

It's a good basic cat food and my cats like it well enough and it's a little less expensive than the Friskies or Purina Cat Chow. It's fine as a normal dry food but it's grain based and keep that in mind when buying it. Most dry cat foods are grain based. As most cats are very particular, Try and get a free sample from the manufacturer or from someone that has some. I can't count the times I've bought a new cat food and my cats walked away from it.

Quality of Ingredients
This is grain based and a good food in general but if you have older cats with renal issues, you may want to consult a vet before giving your cat this as there may an issue with the level of protein your cat may or may not need. This should be fine for a healthy six month to eight year old cat with no health issues.

Flavor Selection
Meow Mix is what it is. I've never noticed different flavors although things can literally change overnight. There seems to be a million types of cat food and exotic flavors of late.

• Flavor Selection:

Tastes great, but full of junk!

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

We were adopted by a sweet little white cat who lived many many happy years with us and this was by far her food of choice. Just open the bag and she would come running! Trying to keep her out of the food was another matter entirely, she was always trying to sneak unto the bag. Unfortunately, I never researched the ingredients of Meow Mix, Snowball was our first pet and I assumed (wrongfully) that if it was a popular brand, it must be good for her.

Quality of Ingredients
Ugh, the first ingredients are ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, and chicken by-product meal. NOT suitable ingredients for a keeping a kitty healthy! And on top of that, there are unnecessary artificial colors added strictly to make unwitting cat owners (like I was) feel like they are giving their cat a good meal. Plain and simple, it is junk food for cats. Tastes good and they love it, but no real nutritional value. Help your kitty out and get them food that nourishes their bodies!

Flavor Selection
Good selection of flavors, if fed only occasionally!

Yummy for Kitty

from chicago Illinois

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

I own several cats and when I was searching for an affordable way to provide them with the best options for nutrition, I located this product and my cats love it. I also use this product when I am feeding stray cats in the neighbor. I love this product because it is simple to understand what the ingredients are and I can actually pronounce them, without stumbling over the words. I highly recommend this product for your cats and kittens.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients in this products are simple, meat, chicken and pork. There are no fillers and no meat-like ingredients in this cat food. It is good for their coats and teeth and does not upset their stomachs.

Flavor Selection
They offer a ton of different products varieties that are suitable for any cat. I especially like the varieties they have for indoor/outdoor cats. The varieties they offer are not only affordable, but they also will please the taste buds of the most finicky of cats.

My cats love Meow Mix

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

I own three cats and have bought Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food for six years now. Meow Mix is the only cat food for my cats. My cats will not eat anything else. The cats know the color of the bags or the smell. When i come home from the store with Meow Mix my cats run straight for me meowing. My cats call out to me at breakfast and dinner time asking for their Meow Mix. The size of the food is small, just right for cats. I like the shapes of the fish. The size of the bag is the right amount for my family. We do not have a ton of room for a huge bag of cat food. The food holds up very well will being stored in the plastic tub we use. I would recommend Meow Mix to anyone that has a cat.

Quality of Ingredients
I think Meow Mix has quality ingredients made for my cats and their needs. We have never had a problem in the six years we have bought it.

Flavor Selection
My cats enjoy the original flavors. They meow, asking where dinner is.

• Flavor Selection:

Meow Mix original, more than just cat food

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

Let me start off by saying that my cat loved this food, he had no complaints, the low score is all me! We bought a bag of this about four weeks ago. A week after opening it we stated noticing super tiny flying bugs in our house, figuring they were fruit flies we called in someone to spray. Before they even came I got a closer look and realized they were tiny beetles! The exterminator inspected and said it was from this Meow mix! How disgusting that I had brought this into my home. He then told me that this food is left in warehouses for an unusually long time until stores need more stock, so all kinds of insects get in. I will never buy any food or treats from this brand ever again!

Quality of Ingredients
Horrible quality, has tons of bugs in it! This is left in warehouses for a really long time causing insects to lay eggs in it. The company that owns this brand really needs to up there quality control and do something about the poor product they are producing.

Flavor Selection
They really don't have but the one flavor.

• Flavor Selection:

very good buy and my cats loved it to the last bite

from Chillicothe, IL

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

This is a good healthy dry cat food that all four of my cats liked. I bought a huge bag for very small cost and they just finished it one month after buying it. I will for sure make this purchase again. I bought different brands and they just ate a little and when I came back to refill it there was some still left. With this brand they ate it all and never came back without having to refill evertime.

Quality of Ingredients
I have a special diet cat and this kind did not bring on the bladder problems many other kinds do. Feel good about the ingredients I know he is safe to eat it every time. I want my indoor cats happy and feel that they are a part of the family so I try a lot of cat foods till I find what they want and like so they enjoy there meal time just like the rest of us.

Flavor Selection
They are variety kind of cats and it has the differences they desire. There are many different flavors in just one bag, so what one might want might be the others favorite. I know when they hear mom in that bag, all four cats come running. So saying that you know it must be good if they are running to get it.

• Flavor Selection:

The cats enjoyed the flavor but I noticed some puking

from West Virginia

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

My cats seemed to really enjoy the smell and the taste of this food but my two oldest ones puked a couple days after I started feeding this. I didn't think much of it until it happened a few other times. They've eaten several meow mix varieties so I was surprised at the throwing up. I thought maybe they were sick but my youngest cat didn't seem affected.

The two oldest were puking one or two times a week for two weeks before we ended up giving this food to a neighbor who said they used it.

The puke was very red. I think the food has some sort of red dye in it that causes this. Also, when I was pouring the food I noticed that it seems a little crumbly. I'm not sure if it's meant to be that way or not but it seemed like it was easy to break and a bit extra dusty than it should be.

The cats did meow for this food and ate every bite in their dish but he puking incident had me worried. It only happened in two out of three, but maybe it was because the two older ones have eaten the same kind of foods for years.

Quality of Ingredients
I can't say for sure, but I think something in this food made my 14 pound Rum and my 17 pound Morgan puke. Also their puke was very red which makes me think this had Red 40 in it or something else that really isn't necessary.

Flavor Selection
My local grocery doesn't carry many varieties so I don't know what else is out there.

Meow Mix Cat Food

from Ottawa Illinois

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

I would rate the Original Meow Mix Cat food as a good overall food for your cat. It has a good smell that is not over powering, (and doesn't give your cat, cat food breath!) has a variety of easy to eat shapes, it also has a variety of flavors mixed in.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients were pretty well printed on the package, starting with the meat products first, then going down the line for most to least. It had a good ratio of proteins and fats with little sugars, or additives mixed it. The only thing that would be a draw back to me is the bright food colors used in the food. It may cause an issue with pets that have food coloring additives allergens. Our cat that we have eats it every day and loves it!

Flavor Selection
There is a variety of flavors and we picked the original food for our kitty as I don't know how he would react to the other flavored foods. We may try them with him over a gradual switch over tot he other Meow Mix Flavors, but for now the Original is a hit!

• Flavor Selection:

My Cat Asks for this by Name "MEOW"

from North Hanover, NJ

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

Meow Mix has been around for a long, long time. We all know the Meow Mix commercials and I have had quite a few cats over the years that have loved Meow Mix Dry Food. When you open the bag you can smell the scent of wholesome ingredients and flavor. My cat likes Meow Mix and circles around my legs non stop when I open the bag. He likes it dry right out of the bag and sometimes he likes it with water on it. It gets kind of mushy if you do that but for some reason he likes it. He gobbles it up and does not stick his nose up at it. A bag is reasonably priced about 4.50 a bag. The bag lasts a long time. He has a sensitive stomach but he does not get stomach upset with meow mix. it comes in a few different flavors, his favorite is the Original Flavor. I recommend it for adult cats. It may be too hard for kittens to chew. I also recommend it for indoor or outdoor cats and cats with sensitive stomachs. Overall, it is a good cat food that my cat enjoys and has good ingredients and flavor.

Cats can't get enough.

from Upland, CA USA

Comments about Meow Mix Original Choice Dry Cat Food:

I have two indoor/outdoor cats who are allowed to graze on their food throughout the day. This is one of the two brands that I choose and they seem to love it. If I leave food in the dish overnight, by morning the bowl seems to be almost licked clean. I have no problems getting them to eat this food. My only question is that they eat a lot more of this brand than a more expensive brand I also have and it makes me wonder if the ingredients are not filling enough.

Quality of Ingredients
As this a less expensive brand, the ingredients also appear to be less expensive. When in a dish next to a more pricey food, my cats eat it first, but always seem hungry not too long after. I wonder if the ingredients are less filling and thus leave my cats wanting more sooner ... great selling technique.

Flavor Selection
I do like the flavor selection and the fact that there is a formula for indoor cats even though my cats are indoor/outdoor.