Other Cat Foods:
Meow Mix

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

My big hairy cat has big old hairballs, so I feed him this.

We adopted Sugar. Someone threw him out of a car in a styrofoam cooler. He still hyperventilates when he has to ride in a car, so his vet was picked based on being...Read complete review

We adopted Sugar. Someone threw him out of a car in a styrofoam cooler. He still hyperventilates when he has to ride in a car, so his vet was picked based on being the closest drive.

We've had Sugar for 9 or 10 years now. He is FAMILY. He also thinks that he is the boss. He definately makes his needs and wants known.

Now, when we got Sugar, I had never seen a hairball. E-yew. I thought he was going poo on the floor. Yuck! Then, I saw him hacking up one of these very gross packages. Poor kitty. He humps up and makes horrible noises. This can't be good.

I've tried a lot of cat foods - all with those hairballs in mind. To complicate things, Sugar is super picky. Food Lion had a store brand that worked for him, but they changed the recipe. It was only one flavor that worked - mixed grill. So, I had to look around again.

We bought all manner of cat foods. Some Sugar would flat refuse to eat. He would cry and cry. I'd go back to the store and try again. Others aggravated his hairball problem.

We finally found a cat food that Sugar would eat and that reduced the number of hairballs. It's Meow Mix - Hairball Formula. It's the dry variety.

Meow Mix Hairball is a little more expensive than other dry foods, but Sugar will eat it, and it does help on the hairballs. He still has some - but not so many.

I'm sure there are lots of food cat foods on the market, but we go with what Sugar will eat. That's kind of the bottom line. It also is nice that this one means less hairballs. Those still gross me out after all these years. Sugar is close 20 pounds, so imagine the size of those hairballs.

Don't think that Meow Mix makes Sugar fat. He is just a big boy. His vet said he's not overweight. He's just big boned. I think I will start going to this vet myself. Anyway, I did check. We're fine with this program for now. I just hope Sugar will not decide he does not like Meow Mix Hairball. It's really hard to find a food that works for him.

If you have a hairball problem and a picky cat, then I'd sure say to give Meow Mix a try. We've been using it for three years or so. No problems. But, we still have a few hairballs. I guess that just comes with big, hairy cats.

I included a picture of Sugar. Have you ever seen a cat who sleeps like that? Scratching head. I think Sugar must be a big old redneck cat (-:

Greasy, unhealthy ick!

I will be honest.  I opened the bad and thought wow this smells fantastic.  I poured it into their bowls and they were all over it like white on rice.  After a few days I couldn't resist, I decided I needed to taste test it.  Granted it is still cat food and kinda gross but it was tasty too.

I fed it to my girls for almost a year and all they did was gain weight.  DEespite their disappointment, we had to switch to less tasty, healthier food.

The only type of cat food i buy my cat!

from Floyd

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Digest
  • Good Value

Cons

• Everyday
    • Indoor Cats
    • Kittens
    • Older Cats

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

I've been buying meow mix for years my 2 cats love it (even my dog tries to steal it), i love the hairball control, and my cats love the taste of it they won't eat any other brand.

Great for hairballs, not so great ingredients.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

My cat Oreo is a long haired cat, and even if I brush her everyday she still gets those dreaded hairballs. I decided to get the Meow Mix Hairball Control to see if it would work, and it did. I found that when she was eating the Meow Mix hairball control that she wasn't having hairballs as often as she usually would, and she even stopped throwing up too. My cat liked the flavor of this as well. The only thing I was unhappy about this food was that the ingredients weren't that great. I decided to stop feeding this good because even though it helped with the hairballs, the ingredients weren't that good for her in the long run. I don't want to continue to feed my cat soy or corn in her food. If her hairballs got really bad again, I guess I would have to let her eat this because it really does help with the hairballs, and she doesn't mind the flavor.

Quality of Ingredients
    It does have a few filler ingredients like yellow corn, but it also has some really great vitamins like brewers yeast. It also has chicken by product, beef talow, animal digest, turkey by product meal, salmon meal, and ocean fish mean, just to name a few ingredients. Some of the ingredients are kind of questionable like the animal digest, but the ingredients aren't much different then what the other inexpensive cat foods have in their foods.

Flavor Selection
    The hairball control only comes in one flavor that is a mixture of different meat fish. But Meow Mix has a variety of other dry cat foods if you don't want to feed your cat the hairball formula.

• Flavor Selection:

My cat likes it but it did nothing for hairballs.

from Kansas

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula is a food my cat enjoys but it did nothing for her hairballs. It's not very expensive so that's an added bonus. But I see no reason to keep feeding my cat a specific food if it doesn't do what it claims.

My cat has mid length hair, it's not the typical short hair length but it's not long either. She gets hair balls and I never like hearing her gagging and then later finding random hair balls around. I saw the Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula in the store and decided to try it because my cat has always liked meow Mix brand food.

I gave it to her for a few weeks and did not notice any difference in her hairball frequency. She really liked the food and would quickly empty her bowl when I fed it to her. Even after she completed the bag there was still no difference in the hairballs.

So although my cat really liked the food, it didn't do what it was advertised to do. I didn't buy it again because it didn't do what it claimed.

This food is a tasty food for your cat but if you actually want to help your cat with their hairballs this isn't your food. It's fine for just a normal every day food.

• Flavor Selection:

It helps reduce furballs somewhat

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

I have a family of long-furred cats who are meticulous groomers, so they get furballs a lot. The poor little dears almot choke vomiting them out, and it makes them miserable. So, I got this food to see if it helped. I think they do vomit less now, but the problem has not entirely stopped. But they seem happier.

Quality of Ingredients
    They do like it very much. They run up to munch it as soon as I open the bag. This shows me that it must be quality ingredients, because my cats are quite particular.

Flavor Selection
    The dry food line comes in a few pretty good flavors. Each bag has nuggets of different flavors, enough to keep my cats happy.

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

I rescued the most beautiful long haired grey kitten from a puppy pound 3 years ago but I completely underestimated how much extra care and attention long haired cats require. The first thing I noticed was her coughing (or dry vomiting) nearly every day but nothing ever came up. She had a short stay at a boarding kennel and the owner recommended this product specifically for it's hairball control formula. She said if I fed it every day, hairballs wouldn't have a chance to form. I didn't even know there were products like this around. Straight away I noticed a difference in the frequency of her coughing. I can't claim to be an expert in veterinary cuisine but I can tell you my cat is better for being fed Meow Mix Hairball Control. The little fish shaped crunchies are flavored with chicken, turkey and salmon. Meow Mix is also one of the least expensive dry cats on the market and I have been using it for 3 years.

• Flavor Selection:

Not the best diet, but it works.

from Wrightstown, NJ

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

We have three adult cats in our family. One particularly enjoys sucking his tail, and he also makes obnoxious coughing/hacking sounds from time to time. Our veterinarian suggested he may have hairballs due to sucking his tail, and to try a hairball formula food. We were already feeding Meow Mix original, so we just made the switch to the hairball formula instead. This was a little over 3 years ago, and while his coughing/hacking hasn't stopped, it did diminish a bit, and we don't find a lot of hairballs around.

I will say that nutritionally, this food isn't the best when you actually read the ingredients, but with three adult cats (one of which is very large, over fifteen pounds), we cannot afford a wet food diet, and switching to other dry brands of cat food has only resulted in digestive upset for our cats. They seem satisfied with the Meow Mix Hairball Control formula, so that is what we have remained using.

• Flavor Selection:

This is the COOL CAT savings plan.

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

Ever hear a cat cough up a hairball? You'd think they were dying. Thats why I now serve meowmix with hairball relief. WOW, What a big difference. My cat has extra licking going on, and she really needed help. Trying to get meds past her was no fun. This really works.

My cats absolutely love this food

from Carlsbad, NM

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

I have 2 cats, Whiskers and Patches, I found Whiskers in the engine of a car, and Patches was given to me by a friend who could not have her no more due to allergies with his kids, Patches is the one who has problems with hairballs, ever since I have bought this cat food, I have not seen her cough up a hairball, they wait for me each morning to feed them...I love my cats.

Give this a try most cat love it and it helped me oit

from Burlington, NC

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

I have used this for my cat and the hair ball for abourt 3 years. I buy it at the local large store and I use coupons, My cats love this treat*  **I have tryed a dew other brands but always come back to this brand ,the cat love it,it helps with the hairballs, ***

My cats must be immune!

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Meow Mix Hairball Control Formula:

My cats were spitting up hairballs left and right so I bought this thinking it would help. Okay, little pricey but it's worth it to get the job done. It didn't work out so hot for me. They ate....they'll eat almost anything unless it' moving, but they still had hairballs! So I stopped buying it. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another bag of kibble!