Other Building Sets & Blocks:
Block Sets
Melissa & Doug
Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks

Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks

melissa & doug blocks a great playroom staple!

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks:

our preschooler loves these melissa & doug standard unit blocks.  he definitely loves his electronics/battery-operated toys - but he also enjoys dedicating some quiet time towards more imaginative play with these blocks.  the blocks are great quality and size - the kind of blocks i recall playing with when i was a child :)  easy for our son to manipulate and create structures etc.  good variety of shapes and sizes.  i like that they're not painted and just natural wood.  the melissa & doug brand is definitely our go-to brand for quality wood toys that are safe/non-toxic.  definitely appreciate that the blocks come in a wood crate for easy storage - makes putting away the blocks a fun activity as our son enjoys fitting all the blocks back into the crate.  this block set is a wonderful investment - every child should have a set of blocks for building!  our son will build castles, houses, roads for his little cars to drive on.  he'll even pretend a block is a camera or a telephone.  we even do counting exercises using the blocks.  highly recommend this product - can't go wrong!

Educational, Imaginative, Awesome!

from Richmond, VA

Comments about Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks:

**My children just received the Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks for Christmas.  This set is so great.  I have a five year old girl, and three year old girl and a one year old boy and they are appropriate for each of them.  Actually, my husband and I enjoy using them with the children as well.  These are very nicely made classic wooden blocks.  They are natural wood so there is no possibility of paint chipping.   The Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks set has enough pieces to build a good size creation.  **

**ONe of the best things about the Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks set is that it fosters creativity and imagination.  The kids sit down with basic blocks and can make anything that they can imagine.  The can use them as roads, build houses or castles, and on and on.  I love that the possibilities are endless.  This is definitley a classic toy that will be used tons! **

Melissa and Doug blocks are amazing!

from Milwaukee, WI

Comments about Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks:

My three year old son received the Melissa and Doug 60-piece standard unit block set for Christmas. I have had them for a year or so and have been waiting for the right time to give them to him. What a hit! The blocks are beautifully made, very smooth fine-quality wood with nice rounded edges. The variety in shapes and sizes is excellent. They store well in the included wooden storage box, which is always appreciated. My husband and I have been enjoying these blocks as much as my kids so far! We have some blocks from our childhoods, and have been looking for a set for the kids. I am so glad we sprung for the Melissa and Doug blocks. They are more expensive than some other options, but the quality is well worth the price. These are blocks that the kids will enjoy for years and then we can put away for grandchildren to use in the future. Like all Melissa and Doug toys, this is money well spent and will be enjoyed for a LONG time!

These Melissa & Doug blocks promote creativity and imagination

from Kingman, KS

Comments about Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks:

These blocks are an awesome creativity toy for any age of child.  My 15 year old will even sit down with his sisters (2, 4 and 6) and play with them for hours.  The great thing is that the blocks are wonderful for boys and girls of any age.  I bought these specifically as daycare toys because I knew they would be high quality and something that wouldn't break after just a few uses.  I was not disappointed.  These are the one thing that get played with every single day and I can only imagine that someday my grandkids will end up with them and enjoy them as much as my children have.

The best thing however, is that these blocks, by their very nature, require creativity and imagination to be played with.  So many toys are single-purpose toys and good only for a specific age range.  Your children will not "grow out" of these blocks.  Babies can learn stacking and hand-eye coordination and older kids can build and create anything they can imagine.

The only bad thing about the blocks is that there are only 60 of them, which sounds like a lot, but isn't nearly enough when the kids really get going.  Definitely splurge and get two sets.  At least!

a favorite

from Clayton, NC

Comments about Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks:

Whether you have a son or daughter, toddler or school-aged child, you cannot go wrong with this set of blocks!  My son, now three, and daughter, one year of age, both enjoy these blocks so much and have spent hours upon hours building and creating with them.  They are made of solid wood and are made to last for years to come.  I love how they encourage my children to use their imaginations and create with their minds and with their hands.  In today's world of flashy, electronic toys, it is easy to forget the simple pleasures of buildling with blocks.  Thanks to Melissa and Doug, children are once again being introduced to this world of simpler play.  I love how these blocks come in a variety of shapes and sizes, perfect for building anything that your mind can dream up.  While these may be somewhat pricey, the quality of the product speaks for itself.  I think I may just have to buy a second set for my children!

This is a great toy!

from Grosse Pointe, MI

Pros

Cons

Comments about Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks:

I love this toy.  Babies, toddlers, big kids and adults all have fun playing with these blocks.  There are other brands to buy as well as this one.  The blocks usually all go together just fine too.  I really love Melissa and Doug though, because their toys are such great quality.  You do have to pay more money for their quality though.  Sometimes you can find great deals on these blocks as well as other toys from them.  The kids will play with these blocks for hours.  There are plenty of blocks for more then one kid to play at the same time without fighting.  I have sen the kids build some really great stuff too.  These blocks are durable and the interest in the lasts too.  They are very easy to play with.  They are also easy to store.  One of the best things is that they are quiet.  They don't make noises or bright lights.  Kids learn while they are playing too.  My daughter loves to build houses with it.

m&d standard unit blocks entertain for hours!

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Melissa & Doug 60-piece Standard Unit Blocks:

These standard blocks from Melissa and Doug are great.  It provides hours of enjoyment for my 3 year old daughter.  She has been using them to build "towns".  She will use her other toys and random stuff around the house to enhance her work of art.  It's always a pleasant and amazing treat to see how her mind works through her creations.  This is a great open ended play item that fosters creativity and imagination.  Another plus is for the quality you get the price is great.  One negative thing about the wooden box is that it is a bit heavy for a preschooler to lift.  So she ends up dragging it around and unfortunately scratched our hardwood floors.  So I would recommend putting the box on some cloth to prevent scratching while making it easier to push around as well.

I would highly recommend them for these are durable and will grow with your child. Investments made in these blocks will give you and your child years of enjoyment.