Other Breast Pumps:

Medela Symphony Breastpump

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Excellent product for a first-time mom!

I rented a Medela Symphony II Breastpump from the hospital where I delivered my twins. The lactation specialists brought one to my room to use during my stay, since my girls were born premature and were too small to breastfeed. I had heard horrible stories from other women about using breastpumps (hard to use, extremely painful, etc.) so I was nervous about using any pump. The Symphony II, however, proved to be excellent. It was very easy to use and had controls to adjust the suction level so it was not painful at all! Even when I started to get sore, I could just turn down the suction level and it still worked just as well as it had at the higher suction level. The instruction manual that came with it was very helpful. It contained tip for breastfeeding, pumping, and breastmilk storage as well as a picture guide to using the pump and the manual travel-size pump that came with it. Overall, I would recommend this pump to anyone, although I would look into renting it over buying it. I'm not sure of the price, but I'm sure it's very expensive.

Not worth the money

I used this pump when I was hospitalized shortly after the birth of my son, who is my second child. For my first, I nursed a total of 3 years and pumped for 21 months while at work. I had a huge oversupply of milk and donated to a milk bank during those years. At work I used an Ameda hospital grade pump and at home, a Medela Pump In Style. So I had lots of experience with various brands of breast pumps.

I did not find this pump to be even as efficient as my Medela Pump In Style (5 years old at the time). The "let-down" feature did not work for me, and I did not like that you could not control the speed like you can on other pumps. This pump is also quite expensive and cost prohibitive to own, and is expensive to rent as well. It also requires the purchase of an accessories kit.

I did not get as much milk with this pump as I did with my Medela Pump in Style or the Ameda hospital grade pump. Pumping for longer or utilizing the "let-down" feature multiple times in a session did not improve my output with this pump.

King

from King

About Me Medical Professional

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Easy to clean
  • Fast/Efficient

Cons

• Poor Construction
  • Poor Suction
  • Uncomfortable

• Comfort
  • Infants
  • Milk Storage
  • Newborns

H

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

The BEST Brest pump I have ever used!!

Comments about Medela Symphony Breastpump:

Everything about this pump is perfect. I would recommend this pump to any mommy wanting the help of a pump. It is easy to use and can adjust to satisfy any need or want you could have with a breast pump. It works like a babies suction, your body will have a hard time knowing the difference.

Comfort
The settings can adjust to any womens needs.

Noting to it! 1 minute or less

Very well made and assembled. It was made the way things used to be made, with long lasting and high standard qualities. I loved everything about this pump and i wouldn't change one thing about it!!

Versatility
Like I said before, it can suit any womens needs. It has a high suction and a low suction speed and a short and deep suction settings and all in between. I was always comfortable and the milk production wouldn't stop!!

A monkey could run this thing!!! All you have to do is hook up the hose, and turn a knob to adjust suction for your individual needs.

The best breast pump!

from Lancaster, OH

Comments about Medela Symphony Breastpump:

After having yet another preemie child, the lactation consultant from the hospital was talking about sending me home with the Medela Pump in Style. I told them I needed something better. I had went through four motors of the Pump in Style with my first child. So to combat that issue, I was sent home with the Symphony. I love it. This is a hospital grade pump so it can handle me pumping 40 minutes every two hours. It can handle being lugged around from home to work, and back. It's a bigger machine but I would love to have this Symphony as my permanent pump in my household. If a mother is going to be exclusively pumping breast milk for whatever reason, she needs this pump! I really can not say anything but good things about this pump.

I have been able to pump while doing skin to skin time with my child. I lay back hold the funnel up to my chest and pump away, It dose not come in between our personal cuddle time!

Comfort
Comfort is up to you! You are in control of the pressure.

Wipe the pump down and go!

Quiet and Effecient

Comments about Medela Symphony Breastpump:

I am so in love with this pump. I am renting it from the hospital because the price tag is a big one. I love that it is so quiet so I can pump at work without everyone knowing what I am doing.

Comfort
With the right size flanges the pump doesn't cause any discomfort. I can set the suction at the right setting for me as to not cause any pain.

There are a lot of parts. Some of the parts are easy to clean with the exception of the tubing. Condensation can get into the tube. You can let the tubes hang down and continue to let the pump run to fix this, but sometimes I just can't get all of the condensation out.

I use this pump 25 times a week and it manages to keep up with me without any problems.

Versatility
This pump can be used to double pump or single pump.

It only took me a day or two to get into the routine of pumping this pump together. I am now able to put this pump together quickly while at work. I can usually pump in about 10 to 15 minutes.

The ONLY one to use.

from Telford, PA

Comments about Medela Symphony Breastpump:

When my little guy decided to come early and be a preemie who wouldn't nurse, I was thrust into the world of breast pumps. I was introduced to the Symphony at the hospital, and after trying several different kinds of pumps, I sought out a Symphony to rent. It is easy to use, gentle yet amazing at producing. Amazing for preemie moms, who often have difficulty producing. The 2-phase expression is a technology that makes all the difference. The hospital grade quality of the pump ensures gentle, consistent suction that is just right. My one recommendation is to be sure you get the right size of flanges. 2 out of 3 women need a different size flange than what comes with the pump kit - and the wrong size flange can result in extremely painful pumping. Get the right size, and you are good to go. I exclusively pumped for 8 months with my first, and 11 months with my second using a Symphony (and Medela Pump In Style Advanced when on the go) and would recommend it to Everyone.

So easy to keep clean!!

I never had a part break, after almost 2 years of pumping (over 2 kids.)

Versatility
The 2-phase expression allows for personalized, custom pump cycles that result in wonderful production.

Best pump available

from Carmel, IN

Comments about Medela Symphony Breastpump:

I am currently renting the Medela Symphony after my Medela Pump in Style's motor died. My previous one was used exclusively for a year with my first baby and was three years old so I shouldn't be too surprised that the motor finally went when I tried using it with my second child. The main reason to rent the Symphony over using the high end store bought pump is because it really is that superior in just about every way. I find it to be more efficient as I tend to pump more milk with this than I was with the pump in style. The suction/pumping mechanism is also much smoother than with the other and I find myself having far less soreness from it. And for someone that has been through nasty bouts of mastitis with both children, it's extremely important to have something efficient and more comfortable. Another big plus with this is that it is super quiet in comparison to other pumps. I am paying more to rent this over the course of the year than it would be to purchase the store models, but it's worth it! The only downside I can think of is that this would be very difficult to travel with because it is much larger and heavier than other models.

Not worth the money

from Columbus, OH

good to rent

from Manassas, VA

Comments about Medela Symphony Breastpump:

After my baby was born several weeks premature the hospital recommended I talk with a lactation consultant.  She in turn recommended that I rent a hospital grade breast pump that I could use both while I was in the hospital and then take home with me to get the milk supply started.  I really wanted to breastfeed and I was able to increase my milk supply with the help of this breast pump.  It has a couple different functions such as let down and sucking simulation and a timer for how long each should be.  There is a kit that goes with this breast pump which works great.  You can also use the microsteam bags to sterilize the kit equipment so it is not as time consuming.  The pump works with the medela bottles whether you decide to use the regular 6 oz bottle or little tube if you have less milk in the beginning (up to 2.5 oz).  If you are looking to buy it is quite prohibitively expensive but renting this from the hospital would work great for many.

Great pump

from Knightdale, NC

Comments about Medela Symphony Breastpump:

This very strong hospital grade breast pump is great for maintaining and even increasing your milk supply.  It has the ability to customize the sucking to imitate that of your infant.  Highly recommended for when you have to be separated for long whiles, like if your infant is in a neonatal intensive care. It is a bit bulky and heavy to cary around though.  The parts are easy to clean, and they have bottles which are easy to attach to the flanges.

What a great product

from Des Moines, IA

Comments about Medela Symphony Breastpump:

This pump is great, if you have the money.  But if you can afford it or rent it, its definitely worth it.  It is comfortable, fairly easy to use, and the suction is great.  I would have to say this is my favorite pump so far that I have used.  I really like that is had 2 phases that simulated you baby feeding, and it comes with an adjustable suction dial.  It is also fairly quiet.

There are a few downfalls to the pump though.  It is rather large, and definitely not portable.  There are also a lot of pieces to put together and clean.  It does seem to take a bit longer than other pumps I have used also.  And of course the biggest issue is the price.  Don't get me wrong, the product is worth the price, but not practical for most of us moms.

You do have to get most of the parts in a kit.  But the kit comes with quite a bit- 2 sizes of breast shields and multiple storage containers of different sizes.

I would have to say that the pros definitely out weigh the cons on this one.  If I was able to buy one, I definitely would.