Other Washing Machines:

Maytag Performance Series Washer

Pros

Cons

Wonderful machine

This machine saves water but also seems to put less wrinkles in my laundry. I iron much less with this every time I wash. I also use far less detergent that I did before with the traditional top loader machine. The only down side is that you must leave the door open after a wash is completed or you get a musty smell after a while. I wipe down the inside glass and dry out the rubber seal to keep it fresh and so far I have had no problem with odors.

Good performance overall, no drain setting, parts NLA

First the good: The machine is quiet and efficient. Typical of front loaders, it uses much less water and detergent than a top loader, so it is easy on our well and septic system. It does a good job of getting the clothes clean of dirt, although it may leave long fibers like dog hair behind.

Now for the bad: This is our 3rd front loader. We bought this 2 years ago after the aluminium "spider" (the support for the drum) in our Whirlpool (same company as Maytag) model disintegrated. That spider is an integral part of the inner drum, which was no longer available and so Whirlpool refused to honour the warranty. We specifically bought this Maytag model as it had a replaceable spider. However, that part is now listed as "No Longer Available." Nothing has failed YET, but it seems that Whirlpool/Maytag front loaders must be considered disposable items, and the warranty is not worth the price of the paper it's printed on. In the case of our last one, the life was only 8 years.

Operationally, our only complaint is the lack of a drain cycle. There is a Rinse, Spin, and Drain. The default cycle time is 28 minutes! However, one can reduce that to 12 minutes by deselecting the "2nd Rinse" option. As this is a rarely-needed feature, it was not a deal-breaker for us.

Typical of front loaders, laundry can get caught between the door and seal, particularly if over-loaded. In the case of small items like baby socks, it's not a big problem: simply pull the seal back and recover the sock. In the case of a piece of larger clothing, it can wear a hole in the article during the spin cycle. While technically an operator-error issue, it is hard to tell exactly when a front-loader is loaded to capacity.

Overall, I will not buy another Whirlpool/Maytag machine again. I feel like I have been burned by this company twice now. If I wanted to buy a disposable machine, I would have bought one of the cheaper models.

Energy Efficiency
Typical of front loaders. Use the highest spin speed for the type of article to minimize drying time. Drying is the most intense energy use.

Cleaning Time
Front loaders take longer because they clean by soaking more than by agitation.

Clothes come out clean. Machine runs quiet. This machine seems to have no difficulty self-balancing for the high speed spin cycle (our last one sometimes had great difficulty).

There are so many cycles and options it takes a few loads to figure out which is best for what. But for general laundry, just select "Normal" and let it use the default options.

Control layout is easy to understand. It would be nice if someone could figure out a better door seal system, to prevent damage to clothes when overloaded. Replaceable parts is a good design criteria, worthy of the "commercial technology" hype. It's too bad they didn't follow through on that promise.

It has not died yet, but something is sure to need repair eventually and the lack of replacement parts -- despite being designed to be replaceable -- makes this a disposable item and therefore not very durable. No wonder the Maytag repairman is lonely -- he can't do anything without parts!!!

High capacity front loader washing machine

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

Absolutely love this washer and the matching dryer. I have back problems and the loading and unloading is a relief because I don't have to bend over and lift.

Low electric bills.

Cleaning Time
40 minutes and done. Love it!!

My clothes come out cleaner than any other washer I have ever used.

A five year old could operate these.

Sleek and stylish. I have the pedestals on mine and love it. Storage drawers are convenient.

Maytag is built to last.

• Cleaning Time:

Clothes come out fresh & clean every time

from La Crescenta, CA

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I absolutely love this washer! I can say with confidence that this has been the best washer I have used to clean my clothes thus far. It is rather simple to operate, so this would be suitable for even children to use as well. What I like most about this unit is the efficiency in which it functions. The buttons/knobs used to indicate what performance level and type of wash preferred are listed in an easy format, which makes the usual hassle of washing clothes even easier to accomplish. I have tried out all types of washing conditions and every time, they have come out the way I would have liked them to. My only complaint is that during the washing cycle, it becomes rather noisy; however, this is probably indicative of any washing machine of any brand- it cannot be helped. I recommend this washing machine for anyone who wishes to finish their washing in less than thirty minutes!

• Cleaning Time:

Amazing, works smoothly every single time it is used!

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

Love This washing machine! It runs smoothly every time I use it, it is really gentle on my clothes. It doesn't wear my clothes out as fast.

Runs very little energy!

Cleaning Time
Cleans my clothes very quickly no matter how many I have in there.

Its performance is absolutely perfect!

Super easy to use simple instructions and fast learning.

The design is absolutely beautiful and i love the front loader! A lot safer with kids around.

It is so heavy duty! I feel like it will last for years!

first front loader

from Bend, OR

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I have many friends who have had front loaders for a while now and they had a few problems in the first couple of years on the market but since then have overcome them and this is a great, reliable front loading washing machine.

Energy Efficiency
I have actually seen a difference in a few of our power bills and every little bit counts for my budget and for the planet.

Cleaning Time
Great options for cleaning time settings. Most machines only offer a few wahing options and this model give you a wide assortment of cleaning times and options.

Great for any item that is safe to wash and that is a size the is acceptable according the the machine manual. Easy to work.

Pick your option for washing, add your items, set the machine, start the machine and your off to the next choir.

Love the front load design and that it holds a lot more than a regular model does.

The load capasity is larger than regular machines and it is quiet, fast and washes large to small loads equally.

Has durability issue.

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I purchased this model due to the claim of commercial duty bearings. This has not been the case.

Energy Efficiency
adjusts water usage to load size.

cleans clothes well. leaving door open to dry when not in use eliminates odor issues

I have owned this owned this performance series washer since February, 2011. The tub assembly was replaced under warranty in October, 2011 due to bearing failure. It needs to be replaced again for same reason now, March,2013.

A great washing machine!

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I love this washing machine. It has reduced my time doing laundry in half. It can handle a lot of clothes with minimal water and detergent. I have been impressed with how clean my clothes have been even with hard water. It is very easy to use. My 11 year old son does his own laundry and it comes out clean. I would highly recommend this washing machine.

• Cleaning Time:

A major upgrade from traditional washing machines

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

After having children we realized that the tiny traditional washing machine was no longer going to be able to handle all the laundry we were producing. We looked into front loading, high efficiency machines because they seemed to fit our needs: washing a lot of clothes while not using a ton of water. My concerns that the clothes wouldn't get clean enough and that the machine would smell have been totally unfounded.

The barrel of the machine holds a lot of clothes. The front loader makes it very easy to load and unload. The electronic display tells you exactly how long is left in the cycle, and you can pause it at any time. It definitely uses less water than our traditional machine. The less water coupled with the highly efficient spin cycle means that the clothes are only slightly damp when they are moved into the dryer. This is a win because our dry time has gone from an hour to 30 minutes.

We wipe the rubber ring/seal after a couple washes and leave the door ajar when not in use to reduce any funky smells. We have had to use a cleaning tablet (Affresh) once in six months. That eliminated a musty smell that I believe was the result of leaving a load in accidentally over the weekend.

Cleaning Time
The normal wash is about an hour. There is a quick wash setting that's 27 minutes. Some settings (like whites) are closer to two hours. Not sure why.

We've had the machine for six months and have not had any problems.

Wonderful machine

from Bulverde, TX

Love this Machine

from Muscle Shoals, AL

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I love this front load machine. Everything I've expected from Maytag and more. I have the matching dryer stacked and it's a space saver. Was worried at first about getting a front load machine until I found out this one has a control panel and door lock.

Energy Efficiency
I have noticed a change in our water and electric bills after getting this machine.

Cleaning Time
I like to use the short and normal wash cycles. My clothes are cleaned in 30 minutes or less opposed to the hour + it took my old machine.

Clothes are cleaner and don't get dingy like my old top load machine.

Dials and settings are very user friendly.

I love this machine has control locks and can have the dryer stacked on top to save space. It can also handle larger loads than my last machine.

So far no complaints with this machine.

This Washer is Everything I Needed

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I got it already installed in my new home and I love it.It has so many different cycles and I have found it very easy to wash even my most delicate clothes without damaging them. It works quietly and uses less detergent and water than my previous old dryer.It is super easy to clean.