Other Baby Carriers:
Maya
OMS-M-37
Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier

Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier

Makes mothering a whole lot easier

I am an experienced baby-wearer who has owned about 10 different slings, wraps, pouches, and back carriers. The Maya Wrap was the best, most versatile, most comfortable, easiest to use product I owned. Beyond early infancy, it was always my first choice.

It is lightweight, making it very portable, good for all temperatures/seasons, and comfortable to wear without the child in it (important with toddlers who are in and out a lot). It is also very easty to easy to pop a child in/out of the Maya Wrap, even a sleeping baby.

It's also really comfortable. It doesn't have any padding in the shoulder area, but it is very easy to spread the fabric across your back and shoulder, which makes it even more comfortable than padding because it better distributes the weight of the child across your back/shoulder. I also have "sloping shoulders," so many slings were too narrow or just slid off my shoulder. But if you order the XL Maya Wrap, the shoulder part is wider and worked very well for me. The drawback with the XL size is the tail is VERY LONG, which could be annoying to some. I just wrapped the tail around the rings once or twice after securing my daughter and it didn't bother me. I actually liked it because I could use it as a sun shade, wind break, or blanket while my baby was in the sling.

The Maya Wrap is also versatile. There are a number of ways you can wear your baby, all of which are detailed in the excellent instructional video (available to watch on their website). The Maya Wrap people are also helpful over the phone with questions. Newborns basically lie down in the sling. It can be concerning for new parents because it seems like they're scrunched down and smushed in the sling, but they like this. When you wear them like this, going about your business, it soothes them and gives them the physical and vestibular stimulation they need, as well as the close contact. It's better than parking them in a bucket (car seat) all the time. You can give them what they need, but still have a life, and a free pair of hands.

Small infants can ride tummy-to-tummy, with the sling under their bottoms. If you use two slings, you can prop a small infant up on your shoulder, as some babies prefer this position.

Older infants (3mo+) can ride sitting up in the sling's pouch, facing out or to the side. Babies who can sit supported can also ride on the hip, with the sling under their bottoms.

The best thing about slings/wraps/pouches and other "low-tech" baby carriers is that they promote proper hip and leg development. You can wear the baby in the natural on-your-hip or on-you-back position, with the baby's legs spread around you hips or back. The Baby Bjorn, for example, places all the baby's weight on his pubic bone and genital area, which is NOT healthy.

The biggest drawback for the Maya Wrap is that the bottom rail is not padded at all, and it can cause some red marks on the baby's legs when riding on the hip for an extended period of time. This never seemed to bother my daughters, but a little bit of padding would have prevented this problem.

As for nursing in the sling, I've never been able to really pull that off. I think smaller-breasted, slender women could do it (just adjust the sling to the right height and have the baby latch on and nurse hands-free). But larger-breasted women would have a hard time I think. I always had to loosen the sling to get her into position and hold her with one arm to nurse.

Finally, it's machine washable, beautiful, and fair-trade friendly.

Personally, for newborns and small infants, I think a pouch is the way to go (check out kangaroocorner.com). But with a slightly older baby through toddlerhood (I wore my kids until they were 3), the sling is great. For the most versatile babywearing product, try a hand-woven wrap (like a Girasol or Rebozo). Unfortunately, it is also the most difficult to learn and you will need instructional help. I wish I would have put the time into learning how to use my wraps more. I envy moms who can just toss their babies on their backs, quickly secure them in a wrap, and carry them easily for hours!

Best of luck to you and your baby! God bless. Kimm

Lovely sling, impossible for some to master.

Ahhh.... yes.... I am becoming accustomed to being the one swimming against the current. I purchased a Maya Wrap sling when my son was a newborn. Beyond watching the DVD (repeatedly), and enduring several frustrating attempts to love the thing... it went to eBay. First, the good: The construction of this sling is solid. I know as a first time mother, I was hesitant to 'wear' my son... what if he slips/jumps/wiggles/etc?!?! Yeah, funny now, but then it was a bit stressful. The Maya wrap sling was solid and the fabric feels as durable as it is lovely. The colors (and the choices) are awesome, great/colorful/vibrant, and such a nice alternative to the 'everything is pastel' world of babies. The DVD was a nice addition to the package - helpful to see the different methods of babywearing. The sling is portable and discrete for those who are nursing. The not-so-good: The rings slip! And I mean they slip when you just *think* about the rings slipping. I found it difficult not only to position my son so that he was comfortable (and content), but also to keep him there once positioned. I tried many times, but all with the same end result. This sling ended up in a heap, and finally went off to eBay. Also, the positions are difficult to master and the sling seems to twist easily. It was a frustrating learning curve and I was disappointed to abandon this sling.Unfortunately, I sort of gave up on slings and carriers until a friend talked me into trying a pouch. OOOH TRUE LOVE! Once fitted, the pouch did not slip once, was EXTREMELY secure in holding my son close, and accommodated him throughout a range of sizes/activity levels (from infant to toddler). I saw the babywearing light. I do realize that the Maya wrap sling has its place, and most people are head-over-heels for it... but I found MUCH better alternatives out there. I only wish I had found the alternatives first, but that's life, eh? In summary, I would not honestly recommend a Maya wrap sling to a friend. I would recommend borrowing a friend's if possible first to try it out. Better yet... I'd recommend scouring the reviews for alternatives before jumping into a Maya wrap sling. I truly wish I had done more research before purchasing this one, getting frustrated, giving up, and then returning to babywearing after my sabbatical. I found pouches (fleece and cotton) as well as ring slings wtih plastic rings (they don't slip!!) to be a far better alternative.

Makes life easier with a newborn!

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

Nothing is better than snuggling your newborn baby! I loved the Maya Wrap for keeping my baby close, where she wanted to be, while I had my arms free to do whatever I needed to do. Often people would comment to me, "You sure have your hands full!" when in fact, I had two free hands. The Maya Wrap has a pocket with a zipper sewn into the end, so I could keep my phone or keys with my on walks.

Safety
Baby wearing is very safe, when done correctly. Keep baby's airway open, don't let the baby's chin touch his chest- I always wore my newborns upright, so I could kiss their heads. It's important that you research safe babywearing before using this product.

Baby's Comfort
My babies slept like rocks in the Maya Wrap!

Parents' Comfort
ALL slings place the baby's weight on one shoulder, so know that before you purchase! I love this product, but it's not a carrier I could do a long hike in.

The Maya Wrap can take some practice—don't give up! It's worth it! There are very helpful YouTube videos available to help get the hang of it! I can even breastfeed in this carrier, which always makes me feel like supermom!

It's super strong- I can wear my toddler in a hip carry without any problem. I've had this carrier for several years, and it's as good as new!

• Safety:
  • Baby's Comfort:
  • Parents' Comfort:

Good, but there are better things out there now.

from Fredericksburg, VA

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

I bought the mayan wrap after I had my second son and loved it.  Now we are expecting our fourth and though we still have the wrap tucked away in the closet, we rarely ever use it anymore.  So many more practicle and handier things are on the market now for "wearing" your baby.Also, I am 5' 7" and have a slighter frame and the mayan wrap never seemed to stay snug on me.  I was constantly having to readjust as the rings would slide down.  I have heard other tallish, thinish people complain of the same issue.

Versatile baby carrier

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

This is a great, versatile carrier.  Babies can go in and out ofit easily, and it isn't complicated once you get the hang of it.  It's easy tove in the diaper bag or car for quick trips into a store.  many women find it comfortable for nursing hands free while caring for an older child.

Comfy and easy on the back

from Mount Gilead, OH

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

Wow, talk about convenience.  It makes life so much better.  It actually gave me back both arms...freedom to use them both.  Plus it's extremely comfortable.  You really dont feel the weight on your shoulders, like you'd think.  It somehow evenly distributes the babies weight nicely.

Not as difficult as it seem...

from 554063718

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

Definately not as intimidating as it appears. I would spring for the Maya D wrap with the fabric panel for some extra mileage with the "big kids." Took some practice and trial runs at home, but definately better with practice. A warning: If you put on your jacket over the wrap and then take off your jacket while trying to nurse a screaming baby in the backseat of your car on a busy street at lunchtime this will become a straight jacket! My tip: Take off said jacket before attempting to remove wrap.

Best way to wrap up baby and free your arms!

from Lincoln, NE

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

I recieved this product after my second baby was born. I strongly wish I had it for the first as well. It greatly reduced the stress of hauling a stroller in and out of stores with a new born and a toddler in tow. I could put the baby in and she was always close by. This freed my hands for the toddler, chasing, pulling and holdiong her hands when needed. It caused me to become less s=distracted in a store and I could actually browse shelves without worryingabout where the children are. This product is great. I highly recomend it to anyone with a baby.

Great for babies that have to be held alot

from Carlsbad, NM

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

I wish I would have discovered this product alot sooner then I did. I did not find out about it until my second child was an older baby and it got hard to use other baby carriers. My second child was very needy and had to be held all the time. As a mother of another young child it was hard to constantly hold one child and chase another and still have my hands free to do the things I needed to do. This is a great product.

Hands down the best baby gear I bought for my son

from King Of Prussia, PA

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

Our son hated the car seat from day one and we used to have to carry him everywhere. My husband would use the bjorn but being large chested I always had a problem with it. One day in costco I was holding J as usual and a woman came up to me and said that she had seven kids (yeah 7!) and the maya wrap saved her life. I ordered one that day and almost a year and half later I haven't looked back! J is so much happier when we are out and about being worn and I got my hands back to actually do stuff!

J is 18 months, 30lbs and still fits comfortably in maya wrap. I keep him in a hip carry most of the time but also use the back carry when he gets bored or the front carry when he's sleeping. I use the wrap as a blanket, emergency change pad, nursing cover, and of course a carrier. My husband has even got in the habit of wearing him and he is pretty mainstream.

I get tons of compliments every time i wear it! I can't reccomend it enough.

The only downside is that there is a learning curve, especially with some of the more complicated carries. The maya wrap does come with a DVD but it does take some practice (and 2 sets of hands at first) to get the hang of it!

the prettiest carrier i've owned

from Westland, MI

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

This carrier is not only beautiful, but also very soft and durable. It's also very easy to clean and use. I happened upon the Maya wrap on accident and I have to say I've fallen in love. I have three children and have never truely been happy with any carrier I have owned due to one hang up or another, usually as soon as the baby is about 4 months your back gives out, but not with this wrap. I love that it is very trendy and not big and bulky, and is doesn't take over your whold body like a lot of carriers do.

Great for newborns.

from Los Fresnos, TX

Comments about Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling Carrier:

I used this for both of my children as infants but was not as comfortable using it with them when they were older.  There is definitely a learning curve to using it and being comfortable.  I have also used a padded sling and a front pack carrier.  My mother preferred the padded sling with my second child-the mayan sling was to uncomfortable for her shoulders and back.