Other Cookwares:

Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole

Pros

Cons

My Beautiful, Green Cooking Machine

I received this casserole as a gift from my mom, and loved the beautiful, grassy green color right away. I have had it now for about 8 years, and only use it in the colder seasons for soups, stews, and roasts. I sometimes use it in place of a crock pot if I want to sear meat first without dirtying another dish. The interior is off-white, and has stained just a bit over the years, but it's nothing that wouldn't come off with a little magic baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

Doesn't Stick
The only sticking is at the fill line, but should come off with a good soak and scrub.

Ease of Handling
I'm only giving this a 4 because it weighs 15 pounds (I'm guessing), and heavy things are more challenging to handle than light things. It has to be heavy to do its job, so not an issue with this particular product just something to consider when thinking about adding a casserole or Dutch oven to your arsenal.

Again, I'm only taking off a point because it's cumbersome to hand wash this beast. However, it cleans up nicely with a hot, soapy soak and plastic scrubby. After washing and drying sometimes I rub a little cooking oil into the exposed cast iron edge of the pot and lid to prevent rusting. I also store it with the lid upside down so the two exposed parts aren't touching.

Disappointed in theis Martha Stewart Cast Iron Casserole

I've heard great things about cookig in cast iron, how great when you want something to cook a long time (like stews, some soups etc), And, how it retains heat.  Since I don't cook that type of food that often (I do more quicker meals on the stove top) I didn't want to invest lots of money. And, maybe if I really loved cooking in this type of pan -- I would try other recipes that are best suited for it.

I know you have to be carefule with this since it is enameled (vs those black pure cast iron pans) so I was super careful with it. Since I live alone, I'm the only one that cleans up so if anything breaks etc.... its all me.

So I used the pot a few times, and after just a few weeks, I noticed chips.  I used wooden spoon and supe careful with cleaning -- so it wasn't from mishandling.  I'll admit I bought it wthout any real research, it was on sale, and I had a coupon.  I would recommend Lodge's enameled pots instead -- they get great reviews on some boards I visit.  And, a few of my friends rave about it as cheaper alternative to Le Creuset.

I wouldnt recommend this.

Great prduct

from Port Saint Lucie, FL

Comments about Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole:

I received this about a year ago and it has made things so much easier for me. I actually have never owned a slow cooker, but this does the job of one, so I haven't really needed one. I use it to make roast and slow cook all sorts of meats. Before I received this I have never actually used a slow cooker or slow roasted any meats in any type of container like this. I simply put in it a roasting pan. But this is soo easy to use and everything always turns out absolutely delicious. I have read reviews in the past about the paint chipping, but I have never had that problem and I have used it quite a bit. I was also shocked to find out how easy it is to clean! THe first time I used it I was worried that I would have to soak it forever. It was all dirty and dark brown. I thought for sure everything was cooked in good. But that wasn't the case!! Everything washed out so easily without any problem. I also see them on sale all the time, so you can get them for a fraction of the price and for must less than those pricey brands!! It works just as well.

My Beautiful, Green Cooking Machine

from Snohomish, WA

Doesn't Stick

• Ease of Handling:

A great cast iron casserole pan for the money

from Midland, MI

Comments about Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole:

I use this cast iron casserole pan once or twice a week. I have several pieces of Le Cruset, which are much more expensive, and cannot honestly tell the difference. I was initially disappointed at the discoloration on the inside, but have read that this is considered 'patina' and to not be concerned with it. As long as I don't use this pan to serve food in to guests I'm not worried because I know it's clean. I love the fact that I can place this whole pan in the oven, top and all. My favorite onion soup recipe calls for roasting the onions in the oven for an hour, and this is my go-to pan. It's a great size and I use it to cook everything from chickens to soup and pasta. This is an excellent pan, and coupled with the fantastic price makes it a must-have for any cook.

Ease of Handling
It's heavy, but then, it's cast iron.

While this is very easy to clean, even when compared to non-stick cookware, the interior does tend to stain.

Heavy Duty and Easy to Clean

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole:

I love Martha Stewart and when a friend gave me this pot as a gift I was thrilled. Of course, I've always wanted a Le Cruset pot but they're WAY too expensive. This is the perfect alternative.

The pot is heavy and feels substantial in your hands. It's not so heavy that you can't lift it comfortably when it is filled with a soup or stew though.

It heats evenly and does not burn on the bottom, which makes it an excellent pot to make long cooking recipes such as stew or applesauce in.

The lid fits tightly and the handle does not feel wobbly or anything like that.

I have to say that this is a definite favorite gift. It's so versatile and easy to use and clean. I hand wash mine so I can't say anything about its performance in the dishwasher but it cleans up beautifully by hand.

The only thing I don't like about the pot is the handles. I just find them a bit difficult to grasp with pot holders.

Overall, you really can't go wrong with this pot. I highly recommend it!

• Ease of Handling:

One of my best wedding gifts!

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole:

My Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast-Iron Casserole is a red-hot rockstar! No seriously, she really is. She is bright red (hubby and I lovingly refer to her as "Big Red") and she does an awesome job with oh-so-many meals prepared in my kitchen.

She is a good-quality cast-iron dutch oven that is extremely versatile. I probably use her 2-4 times in a typical week, sometimes more. I actually made a wonderful chicken couscous with her a couple of hours ago!

Big Red browns meat well. She heats evenly and is wonderful for cooking anything, from soups and stews, to roasts. She is heavy-duty, that's for sure. Being cast-iron, she weighs a bit more than her aluminum counterparts, but that's okay. We like her that way. She gets the job done.

My one very teeny tiny criticism would be that, after 2 years (and TONS of use) she has started to chip. The enamel is such a pretty shiny red, but it has chipped in a couple of places. Bummer!

Obviously, I highly recommend this dutch oven/casserole. We'll keep her around for a few more years, even if it means she gets a few chips here and there. As long as she keeps making me yummy food, then I am happy!

Better than a Crock-Pot!

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole:

I had always thought that you needed a crock pot to make great chili, stew, etc. I couldn't have been more wrong! I've been using my cast iron pot for a few months now, and I don't think I'll ever go back to the crock pot. I've made chili, soup, stew, even braised beef. All of them came out fantastically, nothing sticks to the inside whatsoever. I've made roast, both traditional beef roast and a pot roast, the meat seared beautifully and came out SO tender! The pot roast was falling apart with just the pressure from a fork. My fiance even noticed a difference in the flavor of the things I've cooked in this pot - he told me that he's actually glad the old slow cooker died on us, and that he doesn't want me to get a new one. This pot makes me even more excited to try out new soups, roasts, etc. A definite "must-have" for any cook!

This pan works great!

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole:

I use this pan for lots of different things. It is defintely heavy duty and very heavy. I like that it comes in different sizes and colors. I have two round cast iron casseroles that are smaller as well. I like that this can be used in the oven and on top of the oven. It usually cooks very evenly and it keeps all the moisture inside the pan. I like that the lid had bumps on the top to self baste the contents of the dish.

I rated this as Average because I think it compares well to other pots in the same category. I like this pot over others because the price is affordable, but you have to be careful with this pan because the color can chip. I hit my pan by accident on one handle with a glass and it chipped the color. I think it is defintely worth the price though (they usually have great sales on these items and I recommend buying one on sale).

Love my Martha Stewart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole!

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole:

I received my Martha Stewart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole as a gift a year ago and have loved it.  I had wanted a LeCreuset enameled pot for a long time, but couldn't justify the expense.  I have been very pleased with the quality of my Martha Stewart dish.  The inside is pretty non-stick and not hard to clean.  I use it whenever I make tomato-based soups and stews, like chili.  Enameled pots are supposed to be better for cooking acidic foods than uncoated cast iron pots because they interact with the acid and alter the taste.  I also like the looks of the Martha Stewart Casserole.  All of Martha Stewart's cookware is classic and attractive, and this dish is no exception.

My one problem with my Martha Stewart Enameled Casserole is that the enamel on the handle chipped soon after I got it.  But I have a lot of pots in my cabinet, which provides many opportunities for pots banging into each other.

Very happy with my Martha Stewart Enameled Cast Iron!

from Wrightstown, NJ

Comments about Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole:

I received the Martha Stewart 5.5 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven last fall as a gift from my husband. I have owned it for over a year now and it sees constant use. It is the perfect size pot for almost everything I cook. I use it most for soups and stews, but I also use it for chicken marengo and chilis and it has not stained from the tomatoes at all! It is fairly non-stick, and what does stick is easily removed either by a short soak or baking soda. The colour quality on the outside of the pot (I have the dark blue) is great!

The safety of using enameled cast iron instead of traditional non-stick or even stainless steel was the biggest selling point for me, but the ease of use and the ability of the cookware to retain heat is something I have loved at first use!

Enameled Cast Iron is heavy, so buyer beware if you have trouble lifting! This wasn't enough to deter me at all, but it might for someone else.

Disappointed in theis Martha Stewart Cast Iron Casserole

from Brighton, MA

Comments about Martha Stewart 5.5-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Casserole:

I wouldnt recommend this.