Other Misc. Home Improvements:

Mansfield Alto

Solid, but has drawbacks

from Utah

Comments about Mansfield Alto:

Our house has one of these Mansfield toilets in our guest bathroom (it was there when we moved in, so we did not install it). One of the first things that I notice is that it is a very comfortable height. I am average height (5'10"), and I can sit comfortably with my thighs level out in front of me. Also, the water level sits in the toilet at a good level. I have noticed on other toilets (especially ones where the seat is lower) that the water level is a bit high. So when you reach around it is easy to accidentally dip your hand in the dirty water. But I have never had that problem with this toilet. It's also a bit narrower at the base than other toilets that I have seen, which is very helpful to us. Our toilet sits in a narrow space between the sink and tub, but since the bottom is so much narrower than the top (while still being balanced well), we have space to store diapers, wipes, and a baby toilet seat on the floor beside the toilet. This keeps them out of the way and a little less noticeable when we have guests come over. But the main drawback that we have is that it does sometimes get partially clogged and begin to flush slowly. Once it starts slowing down, it is difficult to clear the clog up.

We're Sold on Mansfield Toilets

from Appleton, WI

Comments about Mansfield Alto:

We are sold on Mansfield toilets. Besides our own home, we own two rental homes, and when a toilet needs replacing, Mansfield is what we get. We buy the Alto, which comes in standard height, or what Mansfield calls "smart height," which is a bit taller and easier on the knees of those whose knees aren't what they used to be. We like to have one of each in each house.

These toilets have a sort of wedge shaped tank. Though smaller than the square tanks of older designs, they funnel the water downward efficiently, which produces a strong flushing action. It's hard to plug one ot these up.

It's important to adjust the innards of these toilets correctly, which is real simple to do. There's a screw at the top of a tower in the tank. The screw needs to be turned to adjust the water level to match a dark line printed inside the wall of the tank. When that adjustment is made, these toilets work perfectly.