3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

I really like it, and it's affordable

The Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye will add spark and pizzazz to your hair and style. It is a must for those of us willing to look edgy and push the limits of trendy. I originally bought the Manic Panic hair dye when the blonde tips I had put in my hair turned out awful and I wanted something to make the blonde look better. I blended in the purple to create an ombre look; I applied a little bit where the brown and blonde met then a little bit of purple below that and then two coats of purple on the very ends. I was so happy with the outcome of the purple dye! My hair went from boring brown to hideous blonde to spunky purple ends in a matter of days. All of my friends complimented my hair and I truly loved it too. Unfortunately, the purple does wash off and fade away over the span of 2 months, so I reapplied the ombre look and then did all one shade of purple until the container ran out. Overall, I really enjoyed using this hair dye, but improvements can be made to make it even better.

Only good for diluting.

I was not very satisfied with this product. I really love the color when it first comes out, but if you are looking for a hair dye that is going to last awhile, this is not for you. Manic Panic Ultra Violet is only good for is you want silver and/or white hair. The color fades within a few days unless you already have very, very blonde/white hair. I have used this hair dye twice. The first time, I wanted it for the actual color, and I was very disappointed with it. I thought I would try it again only for the sole purpose to dilute it with conditioner and make my hair white. It worked perfectly for this, but like I said, it unfortunately does not work for the color. I am still looking for a hair dye that is this color that will actually hold, but I have not found it yet. I would never recommend this dye for someone who wants a bright, vivid color that will last for more than a week. Though, if you want silver/white hair, then I would recommend using this dye for that.

Gives a beautiful hair color!

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye:

I used this after I had just bleached my hair and the color came out so bright and vibrant- definitely "amplified!" My hair was a really intense purple, almost kind of blue when I first dyed it, definitely picture worthy! It was really shiny too. It did not fade too fast, but after about four washes it was kind of dull, but I still loved the color. It was a dull purple but it looked mysterious. Manic Panic is always easy to apply and I just use gloves to dip my fingers in and apply it straight onto my hair, which is easy to spread and get it all over every hair. It does not damage my hair or make it feel dry. I have used this on my daughter for highlights on her natural hair, and it still came out pretty well for it not being bleached.

I just love the immediate super bright effect. After a couple washes it is not "amplified" anymore, but it is so easy to apply you might as well!

Ease of Application
It could not get any easier for a hair dye. You just dip your hands in with gloves on and spread it around.

• Ease of Application:

Good product if you want purple hair.

from Modesto, CA

Comments about Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye:

This is a nice product and one of the only brands I am aware of other than a few that makes quality hair dye that goes out of the norm (Brunette, blonde, red, etc) for hair color. I think a lot of people that are giving this some pretty low reviews do not release that the crazier the hair color the harder it is to maintain.

This stuff will make your hair purple IF you have either light or bleached hair otherwise you are going to have to do this before you apply the dye to your hair because it just will not make it purple. If your hair is already lightened or natural light then yay for you! That means this stuff will make your hair a lovely shade of purple. I left the dye on my hair a while longer than it recommended you to (Approximately 45 minutes) and my bleached hair turned out to be a very nice shade of purple. You can also mix this dye with a red if you want a red that has cool undertones (But only mix a little!).

Ease of Application
You just get the tub with this, which means reaching in to the tub to get out the dye and put it in your hair. You have to buy extra things to go with this which is not ideal (Although the extra equipment is really cheap: A brush to apply the dye, and gloves to keep dye off your hands).

• Ease of Application:

An awesome dark violet that looks vibrant

Comments about Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye:

I love the Manic Panic colors all of them are so amazing. This ultra violet color is such a pretty dark violet and it looks so vibrant. Depending on how light you get your hair is how bright your violet will be. The darker your hair color the darker the violet will be. I left it on for over thirty minutes so the color would stain and last longer and I rinsed it out with cold water. When you wash it out with cold water it seals the color in the cuticle of each hair strand. The color does wash out every time I wash my hair but that's normal because colors like this don't always stay forever like our browns and blondes. This isn't a permanent color its a semi permanent so it only lasts for a couple of weeks. I always refresh my hair every two weeks. The longer you leave this color on the longer the color stays on your hair. This is a little messy because it stains so I always use gloves and I'm very careful where I put it. It stained my counter but I was careful the next time I applied this color. I love how you don't have to mix and developer to it. I would recommend this to anybody who likes cool colors in there hair.

I really like it, and it's affordable

Love it!

from Southfield, MI

Comments about Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye:

Just the sight of Manic Panic takes me back to my childhood! Well, I guess I was more of a teenager than a child, but still. This stuff has been around for ever it seems and when any product stays on the market this long you know it's got to be good!
Manic Panic is the best for coloring hair wild colors like this Ultra Violet. The colors come out really nice and vibrant. It was great almost 20 years ago when I was young enough to rock purple streaks and it's still great now that I have a teenager who wants some hair flare!

Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye works so well. It's got to be one of the most effective products out there. Especially for the cost. Unless you have a lot of hair and you're dying your whole head, you can get quite a few applications from one jar.

Ease of Application
Normally, any home hair dye can be daunting but Manic Panic is really simple to apply. I help my kid, but as a teenager I was able to do it myself.

Only good for diluting.

Doesn't work too well.

Comments about Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye:

I tried this in a small section of my hair because I wanted to try something new. I followed all the directions and waited the right amount of time and it just didn't work. I have dirty blonde hair and I even stripped it of a little bit of color before using Manic Panic's product. When I was finished applying this and everything, I washed my hair and the color still just didn't stick. It looked cool and purple-y for about 1 day and then the next day it was almost completely gone.

I thought maybe I did something wrong so I tried again a little bit later. I did the same process except, I kept this product in my hair for even longer! And it still didn't stay in, it faded quickly! I don't recommend this, unless I really did do something wrong! :(

It stayed cool and purple-y for only a short amount of time, then faded rather quickly.

Ease of Application
It was very easy to use, so there is a positive aspect of this product I guess.

Take it or leave it

Comments about Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye:

I have been dying my hair for as long as I can remember. I have use loads of different brands and colors. My hair is originally black but when I used Manic Panic the first time my hair was red. When I used it I was very disappointed to see that my hair just got darker. You couldn't actually see any of the violet. I then preceded to bleach my hair because I figured it was just to dark. After bleaching it I was actually able to see the color, which was just a few shades darker than Smirf blue. I thought it was awesome for the first few weeks and then it was so faded I absolutely had to dye it again. It faded more and more after every wash. Luckily the jar is big enough that it holds multiple applications in it.

If you have dark hair I would definitely recommend bleaching it first for the best effects.

Ease of Application
Manic Panic only comes with the jar of color. You have to buy your own gloves and applicator.

• Ease of Application:

Manic Panic was gentle, hair must be bleached for bold color

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye:

I found this color to be very gentle, and very subtle. If you are going to try to use on this on hair that is anything but discolored/bleached to whitest of blondes, you may be disappointed as the color won't be very bold. And this violet was not very effective for knocking out any brass when blended into slightly brassy haircolor or even when combined with shampoo. The manufacturer does say that it can give subtle highlight to darker hair colors, but I didn't find this to be the case with dark brown hair.

The instructions do say for the best results hair should be bleached as light as possible (level 12 blonde), and if you would like to see a bold result you should do just that. They're not kidding. Don't let the lure of the the beautiful bold color in the jar tempt you: it won't be bold if you use it on anything but very pre-lightened hair. And it doesn't provide much highlight for darker colors.

Ease of Application
The ease of application is great - it's very simple and easy. You apply it to your damp hair after shampooing. The formula is gentle, no ammonia or hydrogen peroxide or anything like that to smell bad or irritate you. It can and will stain your white bathroom and shower surfaces, so be sure to clean up well after use.

High Pigment Worth the Price

Comments about Manic Panic Amplified Ultra Violet Hair Dye:

Manic Panic Ultra Violet is the only dye that gives me long-lasting, multi-faceted purple. Although it's quite pricey (on the hair dye price spectrum it's the most expensive I've come across), it's also extremely gentle and vibrant. I mix a few tablespoons of the dye into a deep conditioner and leave it on my hair for four to five hours (or overnight). When I rinse, my hair is super soft and the purple stays fresh for about two weeks. One plus of this product -- as opposed to other dyes -- is that it doesn't fade to a washed out dirty gray. Instead, Ultra Violet hair dye fades to a pale blue/indigo color, so if you can't touch up as often as you like, you still get a nice in-between shade.

This is the best shade of purple that I've used but I don't see much difference between the "amplified" and "standard" manic panic. If you're looking to pinch pennies, don't spend the extra on the amplified and go with the regular Ultra Violet.

Ease of Application
I mix the dye with conditioner so the color stays even. Because it is so vibrant, it shows unevenness very clearly.