Other Fever & Pain Medicines:
Major

Pros

Cons

Athlete who uses this frequently

As a rugby player, and martial arts teacher, I use Ibuprofen quite frequently. I’ve had a few injuries which required me to be on pretty high doses for fairly prolonged amounts of time (be careful, I was prescribed to do so by a doctor). After I ruptured a bursea in my elbow, I was told to take 800mg every 8 hrs… and I quickly switched to a generic version from a name brand to save some money, and a larger bottle for the same reason.
I noticed no difference other than price. Not sure why I ever played more for a specific brand. The pain relief was the same, the anti-inflammatory effect was the same, and packaging was just as easy to use… it just cost less. And as for Ibuprofen itself, I haven’t found anything (other than narcotics) that work better on pain. I’ve had more than my share of injuries, I have arthritis, and take a beating for a living (and for recreation), so I know a thing or two about pain. Add in the anti-inflammation… and it really is the best. It is hard on your stomach though, so be aware of that (I usually take with food or milk).

Packaging is easy to deal with.

Immediacy
Takes a few min to work, but it kicks in pretty fast.

Kroger Children's Ibuprofen works but tastes nasty.

After a recent out patient surgery my son was prescribed a liquid Tylenol with codeine.  It was reccommended that we alternate with a liquid ibuprofen.  I've often found store brands to be very comparable in effectiveness with a much lower price so I went with Kroger Children's Ibuprofen oral suspension.

**From the bottle of Kroger Children's Ibuprofen:**

-pain reliever and fever reducer

-lasts up to 8 hours

-for children 2 to 11

-alcohol free

-berry flavor

**The nasty truth...**

This medicine is orange but claims a berry flavor.  What berries are orange?  Anyway, my son said it tasted horrible and refused to take more.  **I tasted it and sure enough this stuff tastes nasty. **

**It does works though...**

I gave it to my daughter, who agreed that it tasted awful, but is older and really wanted some relief for a soar throat and throbbing ears.  Within 30 minutes the Kroger children's ibuprofen offered her pain relief that seemed to last about 6 hours.

***My Viewpoint: *** Kroger children's ibuprofen seems to be effective if you can get passed the nasty taste.  If they won't take it then it can't help.  There are enough better tasting children's medicine options out there to skip this one even if the Kroger brand has a low price.

Works just as good as the major stuff!!

from chicago Illinois

Comments about Major Ibuprofen:

This particular brand of ibuprofen works really good for headaches and even migraines, especially if you catch in the beginning before it peaks. For me, I am really glad that it does not upset my stomach at all and it does not leave me jittery.

It is a very effective medication, although I have to say that I started out taking 2 for headache pain and I now have to take at least 4 or 5 in order to get any relief. Despite this, this medication is still a great alternative to the major brands on the market nowadays. Some of which you get absolutely no relief from them.

Pretty easy to take. I think 1 pill is 500 mg so 2 normally does the trick, unless you have built up tolerance, then 2 will do nothing for you.

Immediacy
These pills work pretty good and pretty fast. I would have to say that the relief you get is a gradual reduction in headache pain to a point when you don't even realize when the headache stopped hurting.

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Major Ibuprofen:

I've been using this product for twenty plus years. It's a better option thatn the aspirin I used to use. It helps as a deflammatory and works wonders on minor aches and pains. Please note that this and other over the counter medications have side effects and drug interaction precautions so read the label or talk to your pharmacist or doctor before using. This particular drug is known to raise blood pressure and can cause problems with the liver if used for long periods of time.

It's very effective as a deflammatory and is good for headaches, minor arthritis and things of that nature and I use it as a preventative before I do a strenuous workout to keep from getting as sore.

It's a pill or caplet you simply take with a glass of water.

Immediacy
As with most of these types or oral pain relievers, they take a little time. With water it takes about twenty to thirty minutes to take effect.

Great!

from TN

Comments about Major Ibuprofen:

I would choose ibuprofen over acetaminophen any day. It works a lot faster and it lasts a lot longer for me. I sometimes buy this Major Ibuprofen when I cannot afford the name brand that I normally buy, and honestly I think it works just as well. It still reduces fever just as good and gets rid of headaches too. I like to use this for period cramps also. I know that ibuprofen was my best friend when I first started having period cramps. It was the only thing that helped me. I have scoliosis in the top of my back, so I sometimes have extreme back pain and ibuprofen helps it too. It may not completely eliminate the pain, but it makes it go away enough to where I am much more comfortable. I would recommend this ibuprofen to others because it works and it is very affordable. Also I would recommend taking them with food or a glass of milk!

These pills are not giant horse pills, so they are easy to swallow.

• Immediacy:

Good for Fever and period pain.

Comments about Major Ibuprofen:

Ibuprofen is very important drug which is sold under many trade names and is one of the most effective drug for fever. I take it in period pain also and It has many side-effect too. Some of it's side-effects are very common like headache, dizziness etc and some are lethal including risk of kidney cancer.

It is very effective in Fever and period pain. I take one pill on the first day of periods and feel very relax for the rest of the days. However, after taking the pill I feel like puking may be because it is one of the common side effect of Ibuprofen.

It is very easy to take. All you have to do is to engulf one pill of desired concentration with the help of water and also do not forget to have some food before taking the pill as it produce acid in the stomach which can result in ulcer. Please avoid taking it empty stomach.

Immediacy
Ibuprofen takes approximately half an hour to work after reaching inside the body.

Excellent for inflammatory pain

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Major Ibuprofen:

Very good remedy all around for pain due to inflammation.

This drug is our family's major remedy for the kinds of aches and pains related to the inflammatory response. What I mean is, if the pain is not from an injury, but is due to a flu, the inflammatory response of the body seems to make little aches and pains twice as bad as usual. This drug breaks this response and removes the cause of the pain.

I take 2 pills with a little food, and it works from there.

Immediacy
I have relief within a half hour at the most.

• Immediacy:

This product works for all my aches and pains and migraines.

Comments about Major Ibuprofen:

This product helps reduce major migraine pains and aches. It also helps reduce fevers. I usually use this product a few times a week. This week alone I have had to use this product several times for a major migraine. With the effectiveness of ibuprofen I am able to go on with my daily life with minor pain. I buy this product in the 250 count and lasts me about three months. I thank you for making a product that is affordable and convenient for me.

Athlete who uses this frequently

Comments about Major Ibuprofen:

Packaging is easy to deal with.

Immediacy
Takes a few min to work, but it kicks in pretty fast.

• Immediacy:

Kroger Children's Ibuprofen works but tastes nasty.

from Big Island, VA

-alcohol free

-berry flavor

**The nasty truth...**

**It does works though...**

Walmarts store brand Ibuprofen is just as good as Motrin!

from Laingsburg, MI

Comments about Major Ibuprofen:

My husband was just recently hurt while cutting wood for our home heat.  (This little bit of information has two tales behind it.  One relating to how well the store brand Ibuprofen works and the other as to how we came about trying it)  He unfortunately broke his leg and was unable to work for six weeks.  This led us down the unfamiliar road of having to watch our pennies.  It also led us to my husband and my family trying the store brand Ibuprofen.  My husband is allergic to all doctor prescribed pain medication, he is only able to take minor doses of Ibuprofen.  So while he was out of work we needed more Ibuprofen, I trying to save money, purchased the store brand Ibuprofen.  Not thinking that they may be different enough to affect my husband.  I am more than happy to report that he is not only doing better but we have found that the store brand Ibuprofen is exactly the same in terms of contents and pain removal!  We are now hooked, why pay more for the same thing in a pretty bottle!?

Ibuprofen is one of the cheapest and effective NSAIDs.

from Alameda, CA

Comments about Major Ibuprofen:

Ibuprofen (generic: prescription Motrin; over-the-counter Advil) is one of the most cheapest and effective NSAIDs on the market.  While prescription strengths go to 800mg, over-the-counter is 200mg and taking four 200mg is the equivalent, with the maximum daily dosage as 3200mg (though 2400mg is generally the safer and more preferred maximum).  Of course, it's better to stick with the lowest effective dose possible, so if 200mg or 400mg works for you, stay with that dose instead of trying a higher one.

Side effects include dizziness, which I've never experienced, as well as nausea and increased chance of stomach bleed, which can usually be prevented by eating food or drinking milk with the medication and avoiding alcohol.  As a pain reliever, I find it as effective as meloxicam and naproxen.  It may interact with certain blood pressure medications, and thus may increase your blood pressure (or cause your blood pressure medication to not work as well), or other medications so always talk to your doctor before trying higher doses.  But for the occasional pain or fever, I find ibuprofen cheap and effective.