3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

• Calling Features:

Unlimited calling for only $19.99 -- per YEAR!!

If you've thought about getting rid of your landline service because of high phone bills, magicJack may be for you. For $39.99, you will receive the magicJack unit, which is about the size of a pack of Tic Tac's. It comes in pink or blue, and includes a year of calls with purchase. Calls are only $19.99 per additional year, yes *year.*

Setup is a breeze: Simply plug the magicJack unit into any USB port in your computer and the software automatically loads. In seconds you will be assigned a phone number (you will soon be able to transfer your current number). Plug any standard landline phone into the magicJack's phone jack and you are ready to make calls. You can also forego the phone and use magicJack from your computer with your microphone or headset.

MagicJack comes with all of the features you have come to expect with landline service: Call waiting, 3-way calling, voicemail, caller ID, 911 service, call forwarding and even free calls to 411.

Call quality is generally exceptional, but there is the occasional call where you can hear an echo, or times when the other party says you sound soft. I haven't concluded whether or not this is from the magicJack or from the internet connection.

The only real downside to magicJack is that your computer must remain on at all times to receive phone calls. You also must have an active internet connection. In addition, there have been a few times that I've called my magicJack number and received an automated message saying "All circuits are busy."

Overall, this is a great product for the price, and even with the occasional quirk you can't go wrong for $19.99 per year.

"Magic Jack - Product has some issues!"

Hello, Today I'd like to tell you about some of my experiences with the "Magic Jack"                 My fiance' and I had seen the advertisements for the "Magic Jack" and we became very interested, It looked like a great money saver in today's tight economy. We were the first of all of our acquaintances to purchase the "Magic Jack" and try it. We had purchased 2 of them, and at first they seemed wonderful and we began recommending them to everyone we spoke with. Myself, taking on new technology at a rapid pace. My fiance', an I.T., amongst many other things.         Now that we've used the "Magic Jack" for over 6 months - Our opinion is starting to change a bit. We do understand that "Magic Jack" is a new-ish product and of course there may be some issues. For those of you who haven't heard of it or are thinking about trying it, I'd like to give you some information about it.        "Magic Jack" is a voice over IP, one end plugs into your USB port on your computer and the other end connects your phone line. It gives you phone access through your computer, with just about all the features of regular phone service. You can plug it into your laptop on the go and have phone service. You get a number for your local area code assigned and that number is yours forever through "Magic Jack". Once you have purchased "Magic Jack", Then you only need to pay for the service once a year. This saves you a high monthly phone bill, long distance charges, fees and taxes throughout the year. It can be used for personal or business.                 Now, to my review.  While "Magic Jack" does save you alot of $$$ both monthly and yearly, it does have its issues. Things you can deal with are:  Line static at times, dropped calls, having to unplug and replug or reset, and when it goes out you get their "Welcome to Magic Jack info screen". Monitor off at night, I've had that screen pop on over 15 times during the night. Do their upgrade- may work okay for a while and back to the chalkboard! Talk to someone-You get their virtual help agent, we located an 800 number- It was for billing! If you are not computer and technology savvy, you may have problems and be totally lost! They guarantee to replace them if you have problems, but who wants to keep sending them for replacements and there goes that phone line temporarily! And there is also a worm issue with them. I personally love the savings but the product development and technical needs some work. I've begun to call it the "Magic Jack---!". We've read some other reviews recently and I'm not the only one calling it that.         Overall, Great for portability and savings-But the "Magic Jack"  needs some work on it's customer service and issues. Most times when it works it works alright for a while. I hope this article has been informative and of some help-Let me know!  LynnD-

Great if you do not use your House Phone often

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

We barely ever used our home phone and felt like it was a waste of money paying for it. We started to use magic jack and paid the fee of $20 a year for an emergency line for our children. We liked the fact that we still had access to a home line for emergencies yet not paying an arm and a leg for a service that we did not use. The add ons for this service are great and mostly being able to keep your old telephone number was a major plus. This is a great way to have a back up phone system. We recommended it to all of our family who like us mostly used their cell phone service but wanted a back up line.

Call Quality
The line does break in and out at times but usually do not have a hard time with it.

Customer Service
Was easy to set up and use.

Compatibility
There are extras that you can add on to this service which is nice, but even the basic plan is great.

Nice add ons.

Very easy to read and set up. Does not take a lot of time to set up and not complicated.

• Calling Features:

This product drove me crazy!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

I have family that lives out of the country and phone cards/phone bills can get really expensive, so I thought hey this is great.....later I found out that the Magic Jack would drive me crazy. Magic Jack is a good concept. I watched videos about it and thought it sounded perfect. I was glad to be saving money. It did that, but the communication was horrible. Customer service wasn't good either. If you want help with this then don't expect much. This goes into your computer and is kind of like a Skype thing once it's plugged in. It was nice to be able to talk to people. My problem was that sometimes it would just knock me off of conversations, start echoing, it would be fuzzy and multiple times I could hear someone else's conversation in the background. The connection might be better depending on where you live, but I eventually just gave up on this. Luckily most of the time I would be talking to a family member and so it wouldn't be so bad to call them back again and again, but if you are making important calls this wouldn't work. I ended up eventually getting rid of the service and throwing the Magic Jack out. I hope that you have better luck with it then I do.

Call Quality
It just depends on the day and phone call. Sometimes it's good and other times it's horrible.

Customer Service
You don't get a whole lot of customer service. They won't help out much.

It's just alright.

Calling Features
I do remember that it had voice messages and I'm not sure about call waiting. It's features were okay.

It was pretty easy to use. You just need your computer on and ready to go then you plug the Magic Jack into your USB and it should start up shortly after.

Did not work for me

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

When I firs purchased the magic jack it worked alright but had many flaws. If I was online when someone called, I would have to close my browser or it would get "hung up" and just keep repeating one word over and over until I closed my browser. Of course, when I chatted with magic jack customer service, they would blame it on my internet speed or my router. I even purchased the magic jack plus when it came out, thinking they probably had all of the bugs worked out, and I had even more problems. I could make phone calls but once it was idle for about 3 minutes, it was like the program went to sleep and I could not receive calls. If anyone called my magic jack phone, it would go directly to voice mail. Once again, when I would chat (THEY DON'T HAVE A PHONE NUMBER YOU CAN CALL) they would blame the problems on everything except for their selves. They would literally keep me on the chat for 2 or 3 hours and never accomplish anything! They would always tell me to reset my router, which meant... you guessed it, I had no internet connection during the reset and I would have to get on chat and start over!! They refused to send me a new device to see if my device was defective. The only reason I gave them a 2 is because I was able to make outgoing calls.... most of the time. Overall, I was NOT satisfied with the product or customer service.

Customer Service
They would blame every problem on my internet connection, my router, or try to say that the settings on my router was blocking it. They would even tell me how to change the setting so it would allow incoming calls and it still didn't work... so I don't believe they have all of the bugs worked out.

It's okay.

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

Okay well here is my story. We have a business, for the business we were using our personal cell phone. Then we had our office. I got my phone disconnected because I had problems with my wireless company. At which we came across the obstacle of communicating with my step-dad ( the owner of the business). We quoted with many different companies for telephone service at the office, but all were so expensive since the package was for business then we came across Magic Jack. We bought it and at first I was amazed at the experience I was having with it. It is good in concerns of saving but sometimes I can't hear the other person. Sometimes if I disconnect it from computer and connect to socket I wont receive or make calls. Obviously if I turn off my computer magic jack wont work since it has to be connected to the internet but if I connect it to the modem then it still wont work. Sometimes calls get disconnected in the middle of conversations. I guess I would recommend to someone who wont use it too much and who is willing to leave their computer on the whole day.

Very easy to install

Magic Jack Plus 2014

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

I loved the easy installation process. It was easy to setup and the clarity of the calls is great. When setting up account you get the choice of picking your phone number for 10 dollars. The only con is that the caller id doesnt display name unless its registered as a contact. The pros are the easy installation, call clarity, and overall the price is unbeatable.

Thanks Magic Jack!!

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

My daughter has a heart monitor & we needed a land line phone for her to transmit the monitor to her cardiologist. We kept going to the local hospital 3-4 times a day. The volunteer at the hospital told me about Magic Jack. We went to Walmart & bought one, It has been a life saver for us. She can bring the Magic Jack with her when she babysits. I don't know many people with land line phones anymore. There would've been times she would have to walk to the hospital & I didnt want that. She has health issues. Also, with the weather getting colder outside, having the Magic jack makes life so much more easier for her. I also LOVE that we don't have a monthly phone bill. The first six months are free then I can pay for a yr at a time. This is an awesome purchase!!! I am glad the volunteer told me about Magic Jack.

Easy to use. We connect it to the modem & the phone & walla--we have a landline phone. I like that she can take it with her & it will work anywhere when hooked to a modem.

• Calling Features:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Norwood, MA

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

Magicjack is a great backup phone system or a second line phone. It cannot be used to call every number since magicjack has not entered into agreements with all carriers. You never know when this may happen. You have to have it connected to an "on" computer.

Call Quality
I have never had a call quality issue. I have heard that the person on the other end hears occasional interuptions in the voice, but, have never heard this on my end.

Customer Service
You have to jump through a few hoops before reaching a live person via chat. They take a very long time to attempt to solve your issue. They have not always been successful. However, if you have no problems, then customer service is not an issue.

Compatibility
The device has worked on my xp, vista and windows 7 computers without problems.

Calling Features
I like being sent an email with a voice message attached for playback. I also like call forwarding. The magicjack android app is great. You can use your magicjack to make and receive calls anywhere your phone is connected to the internet.

The device has to be connected to an awake computer to work. Magicjack plus is a significant improvement over the earlier magicjack. It would be even better if it was wifi compatible.

Horrible Experience!

from Oak Lawn, IL

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

I ordered Magic Jack Plus online because $19.99 a year sounded too good to be true. Turns out, it was too good to be true. The website does not have a lot of information and what they do have is not easy to find. Before ordering I searched the FAQs on how it worked to make sure this was something I could use. All you need is internet it said, so I ordered it.
When I received the MagicJack i followed the directions and saw it needed to be plugged into my modem. Since I was switching my phone from AT&T but keeping AT&T's internet service I did an online chat with Magic Jacks tech support to verify that if I unplugged AT&Ts phone line and plugged in Magic Jack to the modem it would work. They said it would. So I ported over my AT&T number, plugged everything and LOST EVERYTHING! No phone and no internet. Turns out that AT&T internet needs a phone line to work... Magic Jack needs internet to work... the two cancelled each other out.
Now I have no internet and no phone. So on my cell I go to Tech Support chat again and ask if they have a phone number for help. Guess what, no phone number for support, internet chat only.
As I attempted to chat with tech on my phone they were not understanding the issue. It took almost 2 hours of chat for them to finally get it, it was not going to work. I wasted half a day between chat, registration and set up only to find that it does not work with what I have.
They have no support, are not very knowledgeable and not helpful at all. There is no way to know for sure if it will work for you as I chatted with them before I switched over and they said it would work, even though it did not.
I cannot recommend a company or service that does not support it's customers much less give them all the information they need upfront.

Customer Service
Was not able to assist after almost 2 hours of online chat. Gave misleading information that this product would work.

Compatibility
Does not work with AT&T internet service

No real instructions come with the product

• Calling Features:

It's saves me soooo much money!

from Cottage Grove, MN

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

I got laid off from my job last August, and wasn't working there long enough to collect unemployment. Since I no longer have any source of income, and my savings have been dwindling away to nothing I can't justifiy paying the phone company an exorbitant monthly bill. I therefore invested in magic jack. It really should be free after buying the hardware, but it's not so instead of paying the $19.95 per year I took their special offer of 5 years for $69.95. Hopefully I won't get a bill for 6 years, as your first year is included with your initial purchase. I've also discontinued my satellite TV. Maybe someone will give me a job for the new year.

Call Quality
It's just like talking on a land line phone

Customer Service
I've only had to use it a couple of times. The only thing I don't like about it you have to do a live chat on their website. I'd rather speak to some one on the phone if I have a problem.

Calling Features
When I first bought it one of the features was three way calling which I use a lot. They removed this feature and I really miss it.

Get the Magic Jack "PLUS" and SAVE SAVE SAVE

Comments about MagicJack VOIP Service:

I had the cheapest ATT landline available . plan 500 I think it was called. I only have it to call our cell phones to find them in the house when misplaced. My ATT plan went up to $31. or $370. a year. For 40 years I paid for a landline. Now I can cancel it. Funny how ATT is there to add services 24/7 but to cancel or downgrade you must call week days, certain hours , talk to 4 reps and plan on over an hour. All the more reason I am thrilled to report magic jack plus is the answer for me.
Key points.
I paid about $61 to have the magic jack delivered to my house.
1st year service included. I bought on their web site.
then $21 to have my phone number used. (ported ).
One reviewer said you need high speed internet. I was worried, I have the bottom of the line $22 slowest cheapest ATT DSL.internet and mine works.
If I could only get my family to be happy with an antenna vs $60 a month to comcast for non high defination cable, I might be able to retire one day.
almost forgot.. I have a friend that has Ooma where there are NO fees but initial costs are more. I felt Magic Jack Plus was easier.
THE " PLUS" allows you to plug into the modem/router eliminating the computer hook up.

never used them.

plug and play.

Calling Features
dont care, dont need them.

works just like the ATT $30 a month except have to dial area code for local calls.