4.1
Magellan
Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator

Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator

4.1

Great little device, really glad we have it!

We  got this GPS as a gift for Christmas.  After a long road trip of using an Atlas and the GPS on our iPhones, we decided that we needed a real GPS for the car.  This was particularly true when we were driving through areas that did not have cell service and being in the middle of no where with no land marks and we wanted to know how far we were from our next destination.

It does not seem to be able to locate us if we are in a building (like when we first opened it we were in the house, or in a parking garage) and since we park in the garage at night we have to remember to stop the car long enough for it to locate us.

If you miss a turn or go a different way intentionally while getting directions somewhere, it recalculates your new route quickly, which is great, however in playing with it in our neighborhood we've noticed it sometimes picks a longer route rather than a shorter one.

The only other drawback is the exclude feature, where you try to remove something from your route.  We planned a trip from Washington to California and it wanted us to get off the 5 and take another freeway only to meet back up with the 5 later on down the road.  I wanted to remove that portion and stick with the 5, and every time I did it just found a different way to get me to the second freeway.  When I took that freeway out it would switch me back to the original way.  In this particular case, the best thing to do is just go the way you want and let it recalculate, but it would be nice if I could tell it otherwise.

Overall, it's a great little gadget, and really fun to have!

Easy to use.

Sooo very easy to use and understand. I have used one is the past that after messing with it trying to up in my destination, I ended up with a big headache, frustrated and no directions. This one is simple and a delight. The voice makes driving safer, no need to look down at a map or directions, just listen for the voice and you are given advance notice of your next turn giving you plenty of time to change lanes etc.

never steers me wrong

from North Tonawanda, NY

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

When I first purchased my Magellan I did'nt know if I'd like it or not. I previously owned a TomTom that I gave to my son because I did'nt like the size, but with the Magellan it fits perfectly in the palm of your hand and is very easy to use. Has more information than some other GPS and has never steered me wrong. It got me from home to Seattle,WA in record time bypassing all route detours and traffic jams, has all the latest points of interest and I could'nt ask for more.

Absolutely Amazing

from Detroit, MI

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

I think its a great Product I paid 125 for and I tell you its worth every penny. Its a great GPS system the sound is awsome, the colors are great at night especially and easy to use with the touch screen I recommend it to everyone and I am about to buy another one for my fiance

very easy to use.

from Pasadena, TX

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

Purchased this for my husband and we both love it. Easy to use. Light weight and portable. Touch screen. Voice makes the driving easier. The only think i can see with it, is there are new streets that are not updated on it. There may be a way to update it, but at this time we are not sure.

This is better than computer directions . eaiser to use .

from Oceanside, NY

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

This is my first GPS so I am impressed . If I make a wrong turn It will recalculate the route. Get me back on course . We have traveled to places where you cannot get cell service but the system was working . It give you choices of fast or most direct route . I will recommend most direct ,other wise you get back roads with lost of turns . may save a few miles but not worth the lefts and rights. I am buying each of my sons one for the Holiday's . The price has drooped . Also a plus .

It is very easy to use.

from Campbell, NY

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

We bought this product for a road trip to ct. it was very accurate.  We did get lost coming home, only because we followed directions from a friend, instead of the GPS or SALLY as we call her.  Sally finally did get us home, when we put our trust in her.  The only things we dont like about it is she doesnt pick up on construction work and we have had a few address that it will not take.  It is very easy to operate.

This is so simple to use my 66 year old Mom LOVES it!!

from Plano, TX

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

My Mom is 66 years old.  I have let her use my Roadmate 3000T in the pasat ut the buttons gave her a hard time.  She loves the 2000.  It is easy to use, the battery lasts about 4 hours without recharging and it lightweight.  You give up the extensive POI and Trafic Kit options but frankly I never use those anyway.

Does not work well in NYC/ NJ area. Very average.

from Oakland Gardens, NY

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

While travelling from NJ to Manhattan or queens to Manhattan, it insists on routing through downtown manhattan no matter where you are... even if next to the GWB and going into NJ. unreliable in this area. Otherwise is handy and saves me when I am lost!

The Magellan Roadmate 2000 is FABULOUS!!!!!

from Slatington, PA

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

The Magellan Roadmate 2000 is FABULOUS!!!!! We have used this GPS many, many times to travel cross country in our camper. I couldn't believe some of the small roads it showed in some of the small cities out west. It even showed us a dirt road that ran along side a rail road track.  i like the feature to allow you to detour when there is a lot of traffic say on the Schukyll Expressway, and you can choose how many miles that you want to go out of your way.When new roads are added or the roads are changed (like in the Phiadelphia area at this time), you can't always get exactly to where you want to be because there are no map updates.  The only thing I didn't like about this unit is the suction cup holder. It worked well for the first few years, then lost it's ability to stay on the windshield in really cold weather. I would recommend this GPS to anyone who travels or is not sure of where they are going locally. This GPS will talk to you,tell you the next road coming up, let you know of hotels, restaurants and gas stations coming up. We LOVE this GPS. I just have to get another mount for it.

perfect

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

Pros: easy to use; voice makes the driving safer; great colors in the morning or at night; Very reasonable price for features. Cons: not all areas in the u.s. are covered; navigation software outdated.; Voice commands don't always match map; updates are expensive I bought this GPS to help me when I was a traveling saleswoman. Definitely MUCH better than online maps and directions printout! The GPS is easy to use and fits perfectly on my dashboard. It's big enough for me to properly see where I'm going, but not too big that it obstructs my view of the road. The voice commands are great, it helps me pay more attention to when I should start getting back in the right lane on the highway before it's too late. The only thing is that at times, the voice commands and screen instructions do not match the actual map instruction. For example, I see the road highlighted clearly shows that I should make a right turn ahead, but the on-screen next turn instructions says I should keep going straight and so do the voice commands. I have found that in this case, you should follow the map directions, which does make you wonder at time why you have voice commands if you always have to double check the directions. I like the different routing functions on the unit, such as Fastest Route, Shortest Route, Most Use of Highways, Least Use of Highways, and Avoid Tolls. What is also a life-saver is the Re-Routing function! If you miss a turn or choose to go another way, the GPS automatically picks up on that

Magellan Roadmate 2000 gets the mission accomplished!

from Warsaw, NY

Comments about Magellan RoadMate 2000 Portable GPS Navigator:

The Magellan Roadmate 2000 is a nice little device for the "unsure" road trip destinations we all often encounter in our daily lives. The nice thing about Magellan products is the loud voice modulation on their devices. From the car to the motorcycle to out hiking the system navigates you along very well. And if you screw up and miss a turn it will promptly redirect you to your original path. On the downside if you miss a turn be very careful with the next set of commands because it can't defer two way and one way streets from time to time. We have used ours for 4 years now and for the price the dependability is very well worth it. Don't panic if you reach your destination and it's not the right one, most systems are a few hundred feet off, you are in the neighborhood, just look around, your destination is not very far away.