Other GPS Devices:

Magellan Portable GPS Navigator

Pros

Cons

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Magellan Road Mate is so easy to use.

This GPS Magellan Road Mate 1200 unit has a 3.5 inch color touchscreen. It makes it easy to navigate through the different screens. There are many features that are really handy to have available. We used the GPS while we're on the job. The job requires us to go to different commercial agriculture fields. We are able to find all job sites when we've the mailing address. There are times when you are on-site, but not at the original mailing address. We used the GPS to flag the exact location as a "Favorite". This feature allowed us to go to the nearest town for lunch and find our way back with "No Problems!!" Of course, the GPS provides a list of the nearest restaurants as well. It is very handy on trips.

Road Mate 1200 is very easy to use for those who aren't tech savvy. It does fill the need if you are tech savvy as well.

My husband loves the feature of the Tow Truck icon. It provides exact location of the longitude and latitude, street address, city and state. If you are on highway, it will give you the next exit number, with mileage.

It is considered portable, which makes it easy to lock up when the location makes it necessary.

We bought our Road Mate 1200 at hhgregg. We have not had any negative issues with our unit.

The unit is OK but the Customer Service is awful

I was so happy when my son and his family gave me a Magellan Roadmate 1200 GPS for Christmas this past year. No more getting lost, faster trips - WOW, I thought! How wrong I was. First thing, there was something amiss with the lower 48 states file on the data card. The only places shiwing were Hawaii and Puerto Rico! Did I have to move to enjoy the GPS? I called Customer Service and could not understand a word of what that person said, including his name. I just hung up and then called back. The second person was easy to understand but he didn't seem to get the drift of what my problem was. I kept trying with him as I was afraid to call back and get the first guy again! FINALLY - the man understood me and assured me that a replacement card would be sent. I even got an email confirming the replacement. Then, I sat back to wait for the card - and waited and waited. After about a week, I fearfully called back (still remembering that first guy) but got someone who spoke passable english and was told that it was sent Fed-X ground. He promised me that he would send another email with information that I could use to trace the shipment. Well, it came OK but then the fun with Fed-X started. NEVER allow anything to be sent Fed-X ground! But that's another review!! After one month, the part finally arrived, I inserted it into the unit and lo and behold - it worked! However, while I was waiting for the part, I did a little investigating and found out that Magellan had not updated it's lower 48 states information since the 3rd. quarter of 2006. I immediately assumed that much of the information on the GPS unit was out of date and I was correct. There are restaurants and other points of interest that just are no longer in existance.The bottom line is that I will not use the GPS unit for a real trip until Magellan updates the lower 48 states data. Sooo - I guess my advice is get a Tom Tom or Garvin but still send a thank you note to your son's family if they should give you a Magellan!

Love it!

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I haven't had any issues with this gps! I love it to pieces because after a while you get tired of being turned around and getting lost trying to get somewhere you are unfamiliar with! It is a good price with everything you need to get from point a to point b!

decent gps

from Melvindale, MI

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

i had this gps and it got stolen so hubby bought me another 1 exact. I really wish he would have bought me a different one though. I mean it worked ok but didnt update well and would lose it's charge too fast. Also I would not reccomend to leave this in your car at all if it was hot or cold because the heat caused the screen to go funny on my 1st one and the second one i left in the car while shopping in the winter and came back out and it no longer worked ever.

GPS Have Come a Long Way

from Pismo Beach, CA

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I’ve used many, many GPS devices, and have found Magellan to be the most impressive. Over the course of my experience, I’ve had the opportunity to witness progress within the industry and now only my buy Magellan.

Processing Speed
Very fast processing speed. Turns with only a few seconds delay.

Map Quality & Accuracy
Never had a problem with accuracy. My GPS has with stood Coffee spills, and young kids.

The menu icons makes it easy to use the gps. When I am driving I have my kids input the address of the location we are driving to.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Magellan is hard to use and unable to do what I needed it to.

from Gainesville, FL

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

The Magellan Roadmate 1200 GPS Device kept redirecting me to a resturant when I didn't want it to.  It also wouldn't even name the restaurant.  I did say I wanted to know the restaurants but automatically guiding me there without asking was confusing.  I had to ignore the directions.

It is easy to type in start and end locations.  It has to be held in the right position to get proper sygnal.  It holds charge fairly well.  It is a good size, not to big and not too small.  Overall I would suggest trying another GPS.

My husband is much more of a techie and says that it just doesn't have as many functions as some of the other GPS's.  He wants to upgrade.  He also said it is not very user friendly.

I would recomend to a friend that while Magellan name brand may be good the Magellan Roadmate 1200 is not the GPS to go with.  I don't know enought to recommend a better GPS but I plan to do research on the product.

Magellan - Roadmate keeps you in track with traveling!

from Bryan, TX

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

The Magellan - Roadmate 1200 is a fabulous GPS.  I began using it shortly when it was released and have been elated with the product.  I have no sense of direction and the Magellan has provided me with the comfort to travel alone and get me to a city that I have never visited.  On a recent trip my daughter came to visit me at my home.  She lives four hours from my location.  Unfortunately it took her longer as she got lost.  Upoon her departure I programmed the Magellan - Roadmate to her home destination.  She was rather alarmed as she is very technically challenged with electronics.  However, upon her arrival to her home she called all excited and told me that this was the first trip she had experienced that was so easy.  As much as I hated to part with my Magellan I informed my daughter that she could keep the GPS and I would get it replaced.  I have used the Garmin as my spouse owns one but I will indeed be shopping for my own GPS and I can assure you it will be another Magellan.  I love it.

I would suggest the Magellan Roadmate 1200 to everyone

from Grafton, NH

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I would suggest the Magellan Roadmate 1200 to everyone that is going to do any travelling in unfamiliar areas. Easy to use right  out of the box. Can save many destinations into the address book. Easy to add / delete destinations. Can use charger or run off of chargeable battery. I live in a very rural area and it even works here!! Voice of Roadmate can be a little annoying but I think that it is a small price to pay for such a wonderful tool!

Battery problems

from Orefield, PA

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I really like all the features of the Magellan, the text cues are great, she gives you plenty of time to adjust your driving for turns and off ramps.  I don't know if we were just unlucky but the battery does not hold a charge longer than a few mintues and the unit is now just past the warranty.  Not a big deal, I use the car charger, but I  did have a recent situation that I would have hand carried the Magellan because I was in a big city and parking was pretty darn far from my goal and I was not familiar with the area.

The Magellan Road Mate is a good starter GPS.

from Denton, TX

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I have been using the Magellan Road Mate 1200 GPS on and off for about 6 months now.  I was impressed with how intuitive the device is.  It is very easy to use.  The voice is clear and loud enough to be heard over traffic noise.  It is small and easily slips into a pocket or purse.  It is a snap to program.  Entering addresses couldn't be simpler.  It has a QuickSpell feature which 'guesses' what you're typing so you usually don't have to enter the complete address.  I also like that I can store frequently used addresses (or set up a multi-stop trip before I even leave the house).  The battery lasts for about 3 hours.

There are a few glitches, though.  The GPS gets me lost at times.  Once, the voice was telling me to turn right, but the map clearly indicated that a left turn was required (the map was correct).  Occasionally, the directions will be completely wrong.  I have found that when I don't follow the directions exactly, it often will not recover and the rest of the trip will contain errors.  For some reason, when I leave my house it has me almost going in a complete circle (several blocks out of my way).  If I don't do exactly as it says, it seems to get confused and will often give me wrong directions for the rest of the trip.  I have to stop the car and reprogram it in order to continue.  Another negative is that once in a while it will lose satellite reception without informing me.  The screen will just freeze.  This is annoying when you are driving and not looking at the screen.

Magellan got me where I was going

from Buffalo, NY

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I recently purchased the Magellan online and got a great deal for it.  I was a little hesitant on purchasing it because it was such a great price.  When I got it, I hooked it right up and had to take a 1 hour drive the following day.  It worked great, got me exactly where I needed to go without a hitch.  It took a little time for me to figure out everything on it and how to make sure it was set properly, but now I know that i'll never get lost.

The Magellan RoadMate 1200 is a great Little GPS for the Money!

from Creve Coeur, IL

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I got this GPS at a going out of business sale and I just couldn't pass up the price, even though I didn't know anything about this GPS at the time, except that I had heard of the name brand Magellan.  I got it home and charged it up and I was very impressed with the ease of use.  The instructions were clear and easy to follow.  I immediately went to their website and registered the product and if you have an Sc memory card you can download any updates to your magellan right on their sight and dont worry, It was very easy to follow the online instructions to do this.  I get emails from time to time of any new updates.  I had another GPS that broke and what I love about this GPS that was different from my previous one, was how easily you can read and see the screen.  It has an Auto-Night Mode and as it gets dark it adjusts the contrasting colors to make it easier to see.  A lot of times with my old GPS I could never see the screen and had to just rely on listening.  It has plenty of Points of Interest and a lot of room to store addresses.  I like that is stores previous destinations also, so it makes it easy to bring up an address that maybe you just visited a month ago, without re-typing the whole address again.

The one downfall about this GPS is that you have to pay to do any big updates of the Maps and its not all that cheap either!  But really for the money (even if I paid full price) this little GPS would be worth it!