3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

Extra Ordinary

The Magellan Road mate has very unique and extra ordinary type of equipment. GPS navigation is one of the most valuable items i have. I love the fact that I can use a turn by turn style and never gets me lost. Its always perfectly at the right spot and the right time. The Display of the screen is very clear and easy to press. The back of the magellan has a speaker that is loud enough for me to hear even if i have my radio on. The thickness and the height is manageable, very light and easy to store away. There is a slot for an SD card. It has power input from a vehicle power adaptor cable. Its uses a mount that can be easily installed on your windshield, and the ring around the ball socket style joint can be tightened or loosened as needed. The vehicle adaptor is unsually long and large. It has a USB cable that connects to your computer to install firmware or mapping updates. It includes one disc to use to mount the GPS on the dashboard of your car. Although the mount disc is great it is somtimes hard to remove, feeling that i have to yank it out sometimes.

not as good as garmin but decent

Magellan as a brand in general is decent but not the best. This particular GPS navigation system takes a bit long to load and get itself situated to your area which is not good when you are lost and in a hurry to find your way. I would personally recommend a brand such as Garmin but Magellan is more affordable and with patience it gets the job done well.

It does let you bookmark your favorite destinations and searches with the OneTouch favorites menu so you can access them anywhere you travel. With a single touch, find your favorite cafe or restaurant when you're traveling within any city and you can keep your eyes on the road as you drive, because spoken street name guidance announces the street name along with audible turning cues. Highway lane assist offers visual aids to point you in the right direction and ensure that you'll choose the correct lane well before your next turn..

Free map downloads don't work with this product.

Comments about Magellan 5045LM Portable GPS Navigator:

The 5045 LM is supposed to have free map downloads for life. The first time I tried to download with Content Manager the files would load for more than an hour then fail in the last few seconds. I never knew if any of the download survived or vanished with the failure. It took more than three hours and three failures before I gave up entirely.

The maps do not offer you the option of using your preferred route.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Awesome! (For the few remaining that do not own smart phones)

Comments about Magellan 5045LM Portable GPS Navigator:

The truth is that the GPS is not a machine that is increasing in popularity. Due to the introduction iphones etc, GPS's are really undervalued. I, as one of the few people who doesn't own a smartphone, has found this product great! It has a very nice and large screen that makes it easy to see where you are going and what you are doing. My favorite feature, however, is the feature to search while driving. For example, if you want to find the nearest gas, you just go to the menu, click gas, and it shows all the results along the way. Or, you can type in something like "Walmart", and it'll show all the Walmart's near you or on the way...no data plan required! I would absolutely buy it if you don't have a device that can already do what this GPS can do.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Gets the Job, and easy to use

Comments about Magellan 5045LM Portable GPS Navigator:

I use this GPS for everything because I have no sense of direction. I can always count on this gps it is really fast and if I have no idea where I'm going I can look it up using just the name or even the city and eventually the GPS will get me there. The touch screen is amazing and it isn't slow or sluggish. I really couldn't drive without this thing.

Processing Speed
I'm extremely impatient and thankfully this GPS is really fast it doesn't really load at all and when I make a wrong turn it quickly gives me an alternative route.

Map Quality & Accuracy
The map is always precise and correct.

My 11 year old daughter sometimes uses the GPS as I'm driving and she easily navigates through it as do I. It's really simple.

My best friend

Comments about Magellan 5045LM Portable GPS Navigator:

This GPS is my favorite gadget ever. It gets me to where I need to go and is extremely simple and easy to use. I can look up by address or name or city or state. I have been completely clueless as to where I was and this helped me get home. The touch screen is great and it never lags or loads.

Processing Speed
It never takes longer than 10 seconds to load.

Map Quality & Accuracy
The maps arevery clear and doesn't ever confuse me.

A ten year old could use this GPS.

not impressed with Magellan RoadMate

from Sterling, KS

Comments about Magellan 5045LM Portable GPS Navigator:

I might have liked the Magellan Roadmate if I hadn't used my mom's Tom Tom before getting it. The Magellan is just missing so many things that the Tom Tom had- or maybe I just can't figure out how to use it- in which case it just isn't very user friendly. I find the computerized voice very difficult to understand- especially when she is saying road or street names, which is very disconcerting when you are listening to her while in traffic or in a city that you are unfamiliar with, and as far as I can tell- there is no other option for a voice (the Tom Tom has several). We have only used the Magellan on one trip, but it was very frustrating when you were trying to locate gas stations or places to eat. I also couldn't get it to stay on the screen that I wanted or get a view that gave road names. You can display either ETA or speed or time remaining or elevation (whatever you need to know that for), but you can't keep several of those on at the same time like you can with a Tom Tom. It didn't recalculate when we took a back road to get there faster. It needs a shut up and learn feature. It doesn't seem to allow use of county roads at all, which can be frustrating and can also keep you from getting to your destination the fastest way possible. I wouldn't recommend a Magellan to a friend, I would recommend a Tom Tom; however, I haven't had my Magellan long and I'm hoping it will grow on me with more use. I just didn't find it to be very user friendly.

Map Quality & Accuracy
Only use if you only want to travel freeways- it will NOT take county roads anywhere even if it's the shortest route BY FAR. And, sometimes won't even take state highways.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

bought this to replace garmin

from Defiance, OH

Comments about Magellan 5045LM Portable GPS Navigator:

I liked the life time map updates feature, which help me to choose this gps. I liked the directions from the garmin better than from magellan. They use different maps to guide you to your destination. The magellan does have more one touch features, and address book. All in all for the price I would probably purchase a magellan again. It also has a pedestrian option.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Interesting gadget for the easily amused

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about Magellan 5045LM Portable GPS Navigator:

This was a Christmas present from my parents this year. I think they got tired of me calling for directions when I was driving, as I get lost easily with no sense of direction. I have never owned or even played around with a GPS before this. It is very simple to use. I was immediately able to figure it out. The voice was a little odd - like something out of a movie, which is probably why they use it. The maps are dead-on. I have taken drives where I know where I'm going just to see how it works. When I didn't put in directions, it kept telling me to turn right at each place I could. It gave distance perfectly. I am a little worried about the window-holder. It seems like that would make my car a target for robbery, even if the GPS isn't on it. Otherwise, it is a very nice product, at least for someone like me who has never had one before and gets too interesed on if it will be right. I plan on taking it with me on vacation in May, so we'll really put it to the test then in a different state...

digital disaster

from Bothell, WA

Comments about Magellan 5045LM Portable GPS Navigator:

I recently moved to a large city, from a small rural town in Montana.  I was given this GPS to help guide me through the endless city navigation.  I dislike this model because the navigation voice often skips and directs you turn turn after the turn has been passed.  Yes, you can look at the map to see where the turn is, but looking at the GPS constantly takes your eyes off of the road, which is not safe.  I will be switching to Garmin.

Extra Ordinary

from Trenton, NJ

find your way

from Lancaster, NY

Comments about Magellan 5045LM Portable GPS Navigator:

The Magellan Roadmate 5045-LM will ensure positive results for any driver. Will not let you down with wrong results the way other GPS units do. The product is reasonably priced and durable. Product offers good graphics and nicely lit screen. Unit is compact and does not take up much room.You have to make sure to get updates as with any GPS. The product could use a little larger screen. The companies stands by its guarantee if anyone should experience a problem with it  they will refund your money or replace the product. Their customer service number actually leads to a  live voice and is not just automated.Up dates are available for route changes and new routes . As with any other item it may take you a while to learn your way around using this product.Unfortunately, it does not support Apple.