3.7

3.7

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:
    • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3)

gotta have this card!

I have been seeing a lot of negative reviews about the Macy's Store Card on the web. So i think to be fair, i need to let you know about my experience with Macy's. I opened my Macy's store card/ revolving account april 2008 in the store here in CT and was approved for a CL of $ 600.

My FICO scores during those times were around 650-670 with a very short credit history. i have a CHASE Freedom with a low $1,200 CL that time. I was trying to build my credit score, but i usually get denied with the major banks like Citibank, Bank of America etc due to my limited credit history.

I used the Macy's card wisely, around 30% of my credit limit. A friend told me that Macy's is quite generous with credit limit increases, as long as you don't have late payments. So after 3 months i decided to call for a credit limit increase using the telephone in the stores ( located where the elevators are) and i was increased to $900.

Since then, i was asking for credit limit increases after 3-4 months, so from $900 it was increased to $ 1,500 then to $ 3,000 then to $ 5,800 and now i have a $8,800 credit limit. The high credit limit plus Macy's report to the credit bureaus helped me to get approved to major credit cards like Capital one, HSBC and Bank of America late 2009.

i was able to prove to these Big Banks that i can be trusted with a large amount of credit line.

Now let's talk about the Macy's card itself. although the APR is at 24 which is also higher than most cards, the coupons they send you almost every month ranges from $10 off to 20% off on most items, including sale and clearances.

So, if you frequently shop at Macy's you need to have this card.

They also have a separate credit line for furnitures, so in case you want to purchase large items like sofas, dining tables etc. it won't use your revolving credit. They even offer a 12 months to 24 months 0 % interest for most furnitures.

I highly recommend this card. Especially for people who are starting to build or rebuild their credit history. And do not apply online, sine they''re gonna give you a low $100 CL if you do. They say it's for security reasons. So please apply in the store, where they can verify your identity right away and for a higher CL.

Enjoy shopping!

The Macy's star rewards lacks benefits

At times I like Macy's and their sales.  The things I think they lack are the benefits of the star rewards programs.  I use my Macy's card and pay on time in full every month.  I feel the benefits should be better than the one's I receive.  Many times I receive the coupons for 20% off, however they are so limited on the items you can use them on:( I also often find the store disorganized.  I also hate the quality of bags that they have compare to when it was Hudson's.

The things I do like about the card are the fact that you can pay in the store.  You do not have to have your card with you to make a purchase or make a payment.  I also like the bra program, after you purchase so many bras in a year you recieve a free one.  This is great when they have the buy two bras get one free!!  They also do seem to send the star rewards quite frequently - however the unability to use them on many items is frustrating.

Ground up my card

Comments about Macy's - Star Rewards Red Credit Card:

This card is just not worth the problems.
1. There is virtually no way to speak to a person when you have a problem
2. If you pay your bill in full before the due date you get a bill for a $2 fee the next month
3. When you get the automated system on the phone it says to not get a fee you must pay your bill before the due date. Apparently you get the fee no matter what.
4. Their web site has a chat option for customer service. It told me they were closed and they list when they are open, which was the same day and time I was trying.
5. The chat window had an option to send a message but that just takes you back to their main screen.

End result: card ground up.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

CANCEL THIS CARD!! CONSUMER WARNING!!!

from Bremerton, WA

Comments about Macy's - Star Rewards Red Credit Card:

I paid a bill in October at the Silverdale Kitsap Mall location. The "new" company is the notorious American Express. The billing department claims they did not receive payment. Good luck getting through on their hotline. The original bill was about $30. They now want about $60. THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!!! The late fees are MASSIVE and they will lose you payment on purpose. DO NOT USE THIS CARD! I've reported Macy's Rewards to the Ohio BBB and will sue them if necessary.

Makes Christmas Shopping A Little Easier

from gbhjf nhgjrjthyui

Comments about Macy's - Star Rewards Red Credit Card:

I only use my Star Rewards Macy's Red Card when I have to make large, high ticket purchases. I use the rewards earned from the card to put toward Christmas presents or for items that I can only get from Macy's. Before having this card I had their American Express card and had several problems with billing and getting things credited when they were returned.

I have had the card for about four years and have been offered three credit line increases; since it is a Visa card I can use it anywhere that Visa is accepted but I unless it is a dire emergency I reserve this for use only at Macy's retail stores as well as online at their website.

Billing is accurate but it does take up to 60 days for refunds or returns to be posted to your account so if your balance is on the low side you may have to call customer service and see if they can expedite the processing of it so that you can have a larger available balance.

I usually pay the balance off when the bill comes but there have been times when I have only paid half and carried the balance until the next month. The card offers a lot of perks but you need to check the website for current promotions before you start shopping as some of them are limited time offers that could be expire by time your bill arrives each month.

Really convenient

from Houston, tx

Comments about Macy's - Star Rewards Red Credit Card:

First, you have to be discipline and only shop for what you can pay off. Be logical and sensible in your shopping. This is for all credit cards. You will be happy with this credit card if you listen to this advice.

Macy's offers several incentives for opening a card. First, you get the discount for opening a card on top of discounts. If there is something that you want and you have the money to buy the item then it would be wise to open the card in order to get your card. You will have extra savings to save instead of spending on the full amount. Next, pay off the amount immediately after purchase so you won't be tempted to spend the money on anything else. You can then have the good feeling of saving money. Go on a sale day to get your items so you can get discount on top of discount.

Macy's also sends discounts to your mail that you can use. Macy's loyal customers also gets rewards certificates for spending so much money. You can save so much money using the Macy's credit card. You will get notification of big sale dates so you know when the best time to go shopping

READ the fine print!!!

from Troy NY

Comments about Macy's - Star Rewards Red Credit Card:

Initially I loved my Macy's Credit Card, it allowed me to gain an additional discount on purchasing items in-store and online - anywhere from 10% to 20% ... and back when I didn't always pay my full balance, I didn't notice the problem.

But recently, I've used it to get the discount, and paid the FULL BALANCE of the amount owed, only to find a $2 financing charge on my next statement as well.

I've called customer service several time to try and determine what the issue is, and no one can seem to resolve it for me.

This is only a good card for you if you don't mind nonsensical fees and finance charges.

Needless to say, I've stopped using the card, and now only go to Macy's when I can find coupons in the newspaper.

Customer Service
Everyone just passes you off to a "supervisor" ... I've spent up to 4 hours on hold, and STILL haven't had my issues resolved. I've tried calling at all different times during the day, on different days of the week, etc. etc. But it just feels like the call center must be understaffed ... or the putting you on hold business is a tactic to get you to hang up and go away.

Rates are fair.

I love it!

Comments about Macy's - Star Rewards Red Credit Card:

If I may say, this is my favorite Credit card of all as I love to shop at Macys and I use it all the time. Macys is my one stop shopping destination and if I am untraceable, probably Macys is the place you will find me. As of now lets talk about this Red card, it has helped me save hundreds of dollars. It is a membership card, free of cost and with good credit limit. Just do your payments in time and you are good to go. I have never had any dues or fees charged on this account. Recently I have been granted the Elite status that means more savings and probably more coupons to use. Being a member you have a upper hand in shopping because you get the discounts. Recently, i forgot to take my savings pass to the store and asked the representative if there is a way I can use the $25 off 100 discount although I do not have the pass. She asked me to swipe the card and there it was, the screen had all the savings passes under my name and that saved me a trip. Isn't it awesome??

Makes Christmas Shopping A Little Easier

from Pittsburgh, PA

Another discount card!

Comments about Macy's - Star Rewards Red Credit Card:

I was again intrigued by an offer to open a Macy's credit card to recieve savings with my purchase, so of course I decided to take advantage of it. I don't shop a lot at Macys, but if I do, I try to use my Macy's credit card savings pass. However, what I don't like, is that there are MANY exclusions when using their bonus savings pass that is suppose to be one of the perks for having/using their credit card. I buy a lot of make up at Macys, however, none of those can ever be discounted. A few of my favorite clothing brands, NOT discounted as well. You recieve a savings pass in the mail for using their Macy's credit card, and then you read the fine print, and most everything that I would normally be buying would be excluded from my special credit card savings. So, for this reason, I'm only rating them a six out of ten.

Customer Service
I have never had a problem with Macys customer service.

Available Rates
I have always paid my balance in full, so not sure of the rates.

• Available Rates:

High interest rate but still a good credit card.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Macy's - Star Rewards Red Credit Card:

I shop at Macy's quite frequently and Macy's is one of my favorite stores to shop at so it only made sense that I should get their credit card. I'm not the type of person who signs up for store credit cards or has a lot of credit cards in their wallet.

The main thing that drew me into getting this credit card was all the great perks and discounts that you get every month with this credit card. Lately I have been getting extra 20% off coupons as well as several $10-$20 off coupons a month. When I first signed up for my Macy's card I was only approved for $600 but now that I've been using it for quite awhile, and I have been paying it off right away I am well over $2,000 credit limit, which can be quite dangerous but I am responsible when it comes to paying off my credit cards.

I usually pay it off right away when the bill comes up, so I've never had any problems with my Macy's Card. I don't regret getting the Macy's card because I've saved so much money on items I needed to buy anyways. The credit card was well worth it for me to get.

The only downside about this card is the high interested rate, because it is an American Express card. This card can be used at other stores besides Macy's but because stores charge extra for American Express and the interest rate is so high I never use it anywhere else.

I would only recommend the Macy's Credit card if you are a frequent shopper at Macy's and responsible at paying off your credit cards, otherwise this credit card could get you into a lot of trouble. I love this credit card for the discounts alone, otherwise I probably won't have gotten it.

Customer Service
I have never had a problem with Macy's or my Macy's Credit card. I pay off my bills as soon as I get them, and keep track of all my purchases. If I ever have a question the customer service employees are always very quick to answer and polite as well.

Available Rates
You have no interest rate for the first since months but after that since the Macy's credit card is an American Express Credit Card the interest rate is pretty terrible. It is 24.50%, so if you aren't paying off your Macy's card frequently or all at the same time then your credit card is going to rack up a high interest rate. It's not worth it if you can't afford to pay off your Macy's card right away. If you can afford paying it off when you get the statement then I would definitely suggest to get one because the discounts are great, but he discounts won't mean anything when you are paying double or triple in interest rate. So that is something that you should be careful with.

Average at best.

from Kansas

Comments about Macy's - Star Rewards Red Credit Card:

I, like many other reviewers on here, simply got the credit card to get the discount when I was checking out at Macy's. I do not shop at Macy's that much but I thought it was okay to have just in case. I started with the "preferred" card and moved up to the "elite" one. I paid off my balance in full after each card use. I liked that I could pay in store or online.

For this being a "rewards" card, you do not really get any rewards. Occasionally there will be a coupon sent to me but usually it is for stuff I would never buy. I had no reason to keep the card anymore so I chose to cancel it. That first 15% off discount was the only reward I got for using it.

Customer Service
I found the customer service representatives to be less than helpful. I had a problem with them claiming I had missed a payment when my bank account said otherwise. I called customer service and the lady became very short with me. It was finally resolved and it turned out the mistake was indeed on their end.