3.5
Insomnia

3.5

Pros

Cons

Using this product has changed my life.

I was diagnosed with Lupus 5 years ago. I have had sleep problems all my life. When I don't sleep my lupus gets worse, and when my Lupus gets worse I can't sleep. That starts a snowball effect that sends me spinning out of control healthwise. My doctor first put me on ambien CR which worked for a little while and then I got used to it and it stopped working and he wanted to double the dose. My response was, then were do I go from there? I asked if I could try something else and he suggested Lunesta. I think it's great. I have been using it for 2 years now and the only side effect that I have had is a bad taste in my mouth about 20 mins after I take it, before I fall asleep. This is worth it to me for a good nights sleep. I wake up well rested every morning.

Lunesta worked so-so and meddled with my memory.

***A MATTER OF DESPERATION***

***A MATTER OF DESPERATION***

To be absolutely fair, I've been a hardcore insomniac much of my life.  That said, my specific mission with **LUNESTA **(Eszopiclone) **prescription sleep medication** was to break my all-night work schedule and readjust to a lifestyle of more *normal* (!) people.  My goal was to be able to get up in the *morning*.

For over a year I struggled with changing a schedule that was strangely desireable but clearly addictive *and* destructive in the long run.  My circadian rhythms had run amok. I fell asleep just about anytime in the daytime *if I sat down*.  At night, when I did sleep, I awoke practically every hour.

Things went from bad to worse until my doctor put her foot down and sent me home with samples of **LUNESTA **(Eszopiclone)** sleep medication*.  ***This tiny pill is a sedative/hypnotic and should be taken *exactly* as directed.  I personally would recommend it only if you have desperation issues regarding your sleep.

The first night I took **Lunesta**, I was absolutely frantic, but I fell asleep almost immediately.  For *three hours *I "pounded my ear", then -- quite suddenly -- I was wide awake and on my own.  The second night?  Same thing.  The third night I slept for five continuous hours.  This was a big victory!

***THERE'S NO FREE LUNCH***

Soon after this limited improvement, I began to realize that my memory slipped on more than just proper nouns.  I was fast becoming a real dingbat.  Satisfied with the progress I'd made, I decided to leave the **Lunesta** behind.

Since that **Lunesta** beginning, I've been able to change my schedule around.  Waking anywhere from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., I accomplish a lot more in my day; I seldom nap; and I'm actually tired enough between 11 p.m and 1 a.m. to got to bed and to sleep.  On the suggestion of my therapist, I've covered the lighted numbers on my clock.  This discourages obsessive timekeeping and is a big help.

***FOREWARNED IS FORARMED!***

If you try **Lunesta **(Eszopiclone):

1)  Be aware that it will not work well if taken with or after a high-fat meal and that **alcohol is a no-no**.

2)  Make sure your doctor has a chance to adjust your intake of antihistamines, certain antidepressants, and a number of other drugs prior to medicating with **Lunesta.  *Do NOT take someone else's medication!* **

3)  Take **Lunesta **(Eszopiclone) immediately before you go to bed and be prepared to stay in bed for at least eight hours.  (Getting up too soon can result in lightheadedness, hallucinations, and/or memory and coordination difficulties.)

4)  Consult your doctor about withdrawal from **Lunesta**.  Symptoms including anxiety and shakiness, etc. can result from stopping medication abruptly.

5)  Be aware that some people on sleep medications, get up and walk; prepare and eat food; have sex; and even drive their cars *while still asleep*!  Most such folks remember none of these activities after waking up.  If you become aware of this or any other untoward symptoms, ***call your doctor right away****.*

# # # # #

*The five points of information above come from ***www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000292*** which refers to this medication by its generic name *"Eszopiclone."

In addition to reading the instructions accompanying **Lunesta**, I'd also suggest reading the entire National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) brief.  It has larger print and is more explanatory than the **Lunesta** instructions and warnings.*   *

Had side effects.

from Middletown, RI

Comments about Lunesta:

I have trouble sleeping and asked my doctor for something to help me sleep. He perscribed lunesta. It works fine but I get a metalic taste in my mouth till mid morning of the next day. It works just fine if you can get past the taste. I fell asleep fast and could fall back to sleep if I happend to wake up during the night which was a blessing. When I got up to use the bathroom I was quite groggy and did have to hold on to the walls to keep from falling over, so I would suggest that if you do take this medication that you use the bathroom before turniging for the night.  If someone is perscribed this sleep aid I would ask for a sample before I paid for the full perscription to see if you have the side effects. I did also have headaches, but I have those anyway so I can not say if they were attributed to the Lunesta or not. I am now taking Ambion which takes longer to get to sleep but you do sleep sounder.

works for me as opposed to ambian

Comments about Lunesta:

lunesta works for me as opposed to ambian. tried both. i have noted the several people have concerns about the bitter after taste of lunesta.. that only happens to me if i swallow the pill with out water. el yukko. however taken with water i have no after taste. none...nada...

only moderate complaint with this sleep med as with other sleep meds is the real life dreams. sometimes nightmares, sometimes fun things.

sweet dreams

chris

Great for sleeping but horrible bad taste in mouth in morning

Comments about Lunesta:

I've had chronic insomnia for almost 3 months. All other meds stopped working, so I asked my doc for Lunesta, having seen the commercials. It worked great to put me to sleep for a full 8 hours, but when I woke up, I had a bitter taste in my mouth that lasted for 1/2 day. I kept taking it each night for a week because I needed the sleep, but by the end of the week, the morning bitter taste was horrible and lasted through two full days. I finally had to give the medicine up. The bitterness tasted like a combination of dirty socks and rusted metal. HORRIBLE! I am now stuck because I have no other meds currently to help me sleep, but I cannot stand the taste anymore. If you are one of the 40% or so who report a bad taste after taking Lunesta, do not continue the med. The taste will only get worse each night.

fast to sleep at first

Comments about Lunesta:

This put me right to sleep for first couple months but has not been able to keep me asleep. But let me say at first ambien and ambien cr worked also. It is like my body builds up an immunity to these pills. I wish something would keep me asleep for 8 hours

Helps with sleep but leaves terrible taste in mouth

from Huntsville, AL

Comments about Lunesta:

Lunesta really does help as far as helping sleep, however if I took it and stayed up for longer than 30 minutes I was wide awake all night so it's effectiveness can be overidden. It is fairly expensive and leaves a horrible metallic taste in your mouth that is hard to get rid of

a good sleeping medicine

from Geneseo, NY

Comments about Lunesta:

This is a pretty good sleeping medicine,  The main problem is the aftertaste the next day, it is really annoying, but I've lost weight because I don't want to eat in the morning anymore so I guess that's a good thing.  I take this medicine a lot and it does help me fall asleep.

Using this product has changed my life.

from Beach LakeBeach Lake, PA

Night Terrors!

from Half Way, MO

Comments about Lunesta:

I have been plagued with insomnia for the past 20 years.  I tried this medication of the suggestion of my family doctor.  He felt that this medication would help me to fall asleep faster and eliminate some of the side effects I had with the other medications.

What I did find after taking this medication was, yes I did fall asleep faster.  I was out lik a light in about thirty minutes.  However, what I did not relize was what was going on when I did fall asleep.  The medication does produce this metallic taste after taking it.  If you have ever put a penny in your mouth as a kid.  This is the taste you get.  Next, I swore that people were breaking into my house.  I was waking up calling 911 with reports of strange people in/out side my house.  I was seeing people in my shower coming after me.  There would be people at the foot of my bed at night, hands touching me on the leg, men hiding in my closet.  After about three weeks of calling the police, I had to stop taking this.

When it gets so bad to where you wake up screaming at the top of your lungs, a 125 lb German Shephard laying on top of you, police having to wake you up and ask if you are ok.  What I was experiencing was night terrors.  My doctor laughed, then had to call the sheriff and tell them that I was having an adverse affect to the medicine.

I will NEVER take this again.  At least the sheriff's department doesn't want me to.

Finally.....Sleep with Lunesta!

from Hamilton, GA

Comments about Lunesta:

I had taken every over the counter sleep aid I could find without success. I took them all in to my Doctor and showed him the large variety of sleep aids I had tried per his advice. Finally he wrote me a prescription for Ambien. I was so excited as I had heard what  great sleep you could attain with this drug.  My excitement didn't last long. It didn't work for me. On my next visit to the Doctor he gave me samples of Lunesta. Wow, this was the winner !!! I take Lunesta and go to sleep within the hour and stay asleep for hours. I think my body and mind HAS to get up for whatever reason after a few hours. But that is o.k. now because I go right back to sleep and sleep like I don't have a worry in the world. The Lunesta does seem to add to the severity of my thirst upon waking and causes a very unpleasant taste. If you are seriously sleep deprived these symptoms are not significant enough to prevent you from getting some sleep. I only take it a couple nights a week to prevent dependence. It's a good night sleep when I take !!!

Lunesta is not efficient enough for me

from Debary, FL

Comments about Lunesta:

I have a very hard time falling asleep. It can take more than 2 hours for me to finally doze off. So I've had to resort to using natural herbs and prescribed medicine to help me get to sleep.

After using Ambien for several years I asked for Lunesta. I was prescribed 2mg tablet to take at bed time.

When I take Lunesta I fall asleep not as fast as I'd like to. Sometimes it'll take me an hour to get to sleep. And a few times I've had to take more than one dose at a time (with my doctors permission) to get to sleep. I wake up groggy sometimes regardless of the dosage.

I find it very frustrating. Lunesta is advertised as NOT addictive but my doctor said that is not true whatsoever. Sometimes it is better than nothing. It works like a charm on my husband. But my body wants to stay awake during night time.

Fortunately Lunesta has a savings card to help consumers with costs of the medicine. And it can be used in conjunction with insurance (but not government funded programs such as Medicare)