Other E-commerce Websites:
Home and Garden Websites, Appliance Websites

Pros

Cons

Thousands of Home Improvement Items On- Line

I have always had a general distaste for working on a home and that includes yard work, remodeling, general maintenance, and anything else that relates to fixing or repairing something in a house. But at the same time, I fully recognize the importance of home maintenance and I have a few select places where I turn for these types of products and services. One of them is a large retail store that contains thousands of items under one roof. The store I'm referring to is Lowe's and its on- line presence is **Lowes.com**, a web service that sells home improvement products. **Web Site Commentary:** Lowe's is one of only a few stores where I visit when in need of home improvement merchandise. I generally loathe this type of work and I tend to put things off as long as I can. But I know that home improvements and maintenance can only be avoided for so long. They have to be completed eventually and this is where stores like Lowe's are nice because they offer so much merchandise under one roof. I can get everything I need in a single shopping trip. Since I like the physical Lowe's stores, it makes sense that I would use the on- line store at some point and I finally got my chance one day when shopping for a new dishwasher. I decided that shopping at Lowes.com was better than shopping at an actual store because the on- line store would likely have more of the appliance I was looking for That appliance was a dishwasher and I was proven correct when I visited a Lowe's physical location store only to find that there were about 14 different dishwashers on display. Using Lowes.com I had access to nearly *300* dishwashers- enough to keep me browsing the selection for a long, long time. This brings me to one of Lowes.com's greatest assets- the amount of merchandise available. As most on- line shoppers know, web site stores usually offer only a fraction of what their physical location store offers and sometimes shopping on- line is impractical for this very reason. But with Lowes.com, there is an overabundance of merchandise. I mentioned dishwashers already, but the supply of goods is equally impressive in other categories too. In the drills & drivers category, for example, there are more than 250 choices. In refrigerators, there are nearly 800 choices. In ranges there are more than 700 choices. Other categories are equally impressive with only a few (like air conditioners- only 10 to choose from) offering a smaller than average selection. Depending on what you wish to buy, you may have to enter your zip code to see if a specific product is available in your area. This is true with most appliances and other large purchases. Lowes.com will quickly let you know if a product can be purchased on- line and delivered to your local Lowe's and/or whether it can be shipped to your home. The store delivery option is the one I recommend for most purchases. You have to drive to pick it up, but there is no shipping charge added to the order. The Lowes.com site picks a local store for you based on your home zip code. If you would rather pick up your item from another Lowe's store, you can change the location. Keep in mind that some merchandise will not be available for home delivery but most everything in the site is available for in- store delivery. **Bottom Line Viewoint:**

Overall, Lowes.com is a very good place to shop for home improvement and maintenance products. I got the appliance I ordered in only a few days and I went to the store to pick it up (I wasn't willing to pay the extra money for home delivery) to save money. Everything went smoothly with Lowes.com and aside from the difficulty in using the search box and the fact that some items cannot be shipped to your home, this on- line store is a very good place to shop.

Poor Customer Service, in-store pickup doesn't work

I have made a lot improvements to my house over the last few years. I went to Lowes to get most of the items I needed, but no more. I have tried to use their web-site a few times and had bad experiences each time. The last time was the final straw. I was replacing a roof on a small building in my back yard. I checked Lowes.com for shingles. I found the ones that I wanted. The web-site said they were available at a Lowes store near me. I ordered them and chose the in-store pick-up option. A couple of hours later they send me an email saying that my order was ready to be picked up. I drive to the store to pick up my order. When I get there, they make me wait a long time. Finally the guy comes back and says they don't have the shingles I ordered in stock. In fact he told me that they don't even carry them at that store. I told them that the reason I was there was that they sent me an email telling me that my order was ready to be picked up. They said they didn't know why that happened, but that they don't carry that item. I then asked for a refund and I was hassled and made to wait awhile before they finally processed it. When I got home (I wasted 2 hours of my life driving to the store, waiting at the store and then driving home), I emailed Lowes customer service telling them about my bad experience. The next day they answered my email saying the store manager would give me a call. Eventually he did call, and when I started to tell him what happened (I was speaking very nicely) he hung up on me. I tried calling the store back but just got the run around and was put on hold for a long time. Needless to say I now do all of my home improvement shopping at other places. I was a long time Lowes customer, who had a My Lowes Card and had spent thousands of dollars there over a few years. What makes matters worse, I noticed when I got home that Lowes.com still showed the shingles I had ordered were still available at that store, even though the store told me they never carried those particular shingles. I checked their web-site several times later and every time they showed those same shingles as being available at that store. I do not believe that you can trust the Lowes.com web-site.

Fabulous website!

Profile Image

from Troy NY

Comments about Lowes.com:

Lowes.com has been a lifesaver for all of our home improvement projects. They have great selections, great pricing, and a credit card where you can always save 5% off your total. We have the option of ordering our merchandise to pick up in store, or having it shipped to us. We've even been able to get large deliveries sent to our house and boom lifted to the roof, which was amazing. Plus, if anything goes wrong, their customer service team is super friendly and super easy to get a whole of.

It's really easy to find things by a variety of search factors: type of product, brand, sku, id number, etc.

Great selection!

Product Pricing
The pricing is usually the best around, but if you find a lower advertised price, they will beat it by 10% - so you win at Lowes no matter what!

Customer Service
Top notch! Lowes customer service is the best around.

Shipping and Returns
Shipping is usually prompt and punctual unless something is backordered. Returns are the only downside to Lowes, sometimes returning things can be a bit of a hassle unless you bring the item to the store itself (which is easy if it's small enough) - sometimes hard to ship back larger items with any degree of ease.

• Shipping and Returns:

Great for how to ideas as well as shopping online!

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Lowes.com:

Shopping online for Lowe's is very convenient.

I have a Lowe's that is close by to my home, closer than a Home Depot, so I always gravitate towards Lowe's. Shopping online at Lowe's makes it even easier. I can order online, spend the time searching and researching what I want, order it, and then have it ready to be picked up at the store. I easily get overhelmed in the store, not being an expert in most of the projects I want to put together. Where they definitely have wonderful staff to help you, I'd rather just do research online, and price compare between what they have online. As well as I've found if I just see what they have online, but don't buy, they may be out of it in the store.

Lowe's also has it's own credit card, which is nice when purchasing big items. It has 5% off every day, which is a nice perk.

One of the things I really appreciate about the website, is the idea and how tos. They have ideas and helpful tips for every department in the store. I end of pinteresting a lot of these ideas for later.

• Shipping and Returns:

Lowe's.com a waste of time.

from Long Island, NY

Comments about Lowes.com:

I placed 5 separate orders at 5 different Lowe's stores for planters that were on clearance. Every time I received an email or a phone call telling me that "the items I selected were not in their store." Each and every planter I selected at Lowes.com said the exact amount of planters that particular store had. I must have ordered over 50 planters total. NOT ONE WAS THERE! Either Lowe's has incompetent employees working for them or these employees are taking the clearance items away from customers. Have you ever been in a Lowe's store when items come up for clearance? The employees look like bees on honey. Swarming around making sure they get theirs. Stay away from Lowes.com it’s a waste of time.

Sometimes good, sometimes bad

from Liberty, KY

Comments about Lowes.com:

While I find their site very easy to navigate, I find that it doesn't narrow down searches very easily based on your criteria. You'll get a lot of unwanted things matching your word terms. Also, while placing and paying for an order on line is easy, and most times you can qualify for free shipping, you'll find lots of exclusions once you get to the checkout area. Sometimes an order that has the dollar value that would qualify for free shipping doesn't do that in your shopping cart, so you're stuck calling customer service (or contacting them one line)--depends if you're in a rush or not, and having things resolved. For us, it's always been either a size of weight issue of which their was no mention of on the site until I placed the order and tried to go through check out.

It's easy to use, but like I said, exclusions to their shipping policies aren't easy to find nor are explained adequately when you get to check out and there are more charges in your total than you thought.

Product Selection
Selection is good, but I'm not sure it's as good as in the store itself. However, that being said, if you're searching through your local store and you can't find what you want, you have the option of searching through other stores in neighboring towns to find the item you want.

Customer Service
If you still can't find what you want in your local store, the site has an option to contact customer service where they will work with you, even if it takes a long time, to find a local (or closer) store where you can find the item you're looking for. They do go out of their way to make you happy.

Shipping and Returns
Shipping to your residence or for pick-up at your local store (for free). I don't know about returns.

Fast and Easy

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Lowes.com:

I love browsing Lowes.com for home improvement inspiration and ideas. The site is easy to navigate and visually appealing. My only complaint is the the product descriptions can be a bit vague.
For example, I bought a pair of LED lights that are battery operated to accent the lighting in my living room. Based on the picture and description, the seemed to be better constructed and higher quality than what I actually received. The batteries die within a matter of days even without continual use.
Delivery from the site is fast and I have never received anything damaged in shipping. For the most part, returns have been easy when needed.
I love the site to store feature that allows me to pick up smaller items at the store without paying a shipping charge.
Customer service has been friendly and helpful the few times that I've needed to use it.

Shipping and Returns
Pretty painless for the most part.

Better than in-store

Comments about Lowes.com:

In my opinion, the online Lowe's store is a lot better than the actual store in many ways. I find it much more convenient to check online before running out to the store, which is way on the other side of town, because it saves me time and effort.

Product Selection
Lowe's has a much bigger selection online than in-store. I find it very convenient to be able to go online to see the selection and compare prices, as opposed to driving to the store to do it. I haven't shopped at Lowe's very often, just for a couple of things a couple of times, but every time I do, I've found that online is better in my opinion.

Product Pricing
I have found lower prices on quite a few of the items Lowe's sells. That's part of the reason I don't shop there quite that often. But out of the items I've looked here for, they usually aren't ridiculously overpriced, just maybe ten or fifteen dollars more than some other stores.

Shipping and Returns
I usually opt for in-store pickup because it's easier and more convenient for me personally. With all the items I've ordered through the Lowe's website, the items arrive at the store very quickly once I place the order. Only once have I had an item shipped directly to my address. It didn't take too much longer than it does with the in-store pickup, but it just wasn't for me.

Profile Image

Comments about Lowes.com:

Lowes.com is not just a hardware store, they actually have quite the selection. In addition to selling everything you need for tools, yard equipment, plumbing, and electrical items, they also have a nice selection of home decor. They have some really nice ceiling fans, mirrors, wall art, and clocks. We bought our windows shades from here when we bought our house and are very please with the selection. They have great pricing and offer several different shipping options which is nice when you are on a budget.

They have everything organized into categories or you can type in what you are looking for.

Product Selection
Huge selection of everything you can think of that has to do with home repair, building a home, or just being crafty. They even have a large selection of home appliances, cabinets, and window coverings.

Product Pricing
I have found they are pretty competitive against other similar websites. They run sales and promotions often too.

Customer Service
Very helpful when you need them!

Shipping and Returns
Shipping is fast and they offer several different options which is nice. You can ship to a local store to save money, have it sent on the lowes truck or UPS.

Low prices at Lowes.com

Comments about Lowes.com:

Lowes.com helped me with my second bathroom project. I wanted to redo my second bathroom, so I went online to Lowes.com. They had everything I needed in order to get the job done. The tiles were exactly what I was looking for. They were lavender with pink flowers. After adding to my cart everything I needed for the shower and bath, the prices were so great that I was able to add a new sink and flooring. The order was shipped the next day and arrived shortly after. With the help of friends and family, we were able to finish the project the same day it arrived. Once it was finished, I was so happy that Lowes.com made my vision come true. I can’t wait to get started on my next project really soon.

Very easy to use and navigate through. The categories are sorted and easy to look through.

Product Selection
The online inventory is great with so many products that it would take hours to look through them all.

Product Pricing
The pricing is very reasonable and they always have a lot of products on sale in clearance.

Grill E310 - logistics NIGHTMARE

Comments about Lowes.com:

After reading the positive review about the grill, I ordered one online. That was a mistake,
The company's logistics failed completely and after two days they could not confirm delivery of the grill. On top of it all, they sent an email confirming that the "purchase had been delivered" - even though that was not the case. I was told that the system does that automatically after the said delivery date. Well a recommendation for you is that someone at Lowes should pull those emails when delivery has not been made. I will never order from Lowes again.

Product Pricing
It not inexpensive but they failed in the basic supply chain management

Customer Service
They attempted to assist including a store manager named David, but at the end of the day they could not confirm the delivery -

Great for Home Improvements

from Utah

Comments about Lowes.com:

When doing home improvements, I usually consult both Lowes.com and homedepot.com. Overall, I have found that I like Lowes.com better. It is easier to navigate and find help, and is have also found informational videos on how to complete certain projects. I appreciate this extra help very much.

The site is extremely well organized, making it easy to search for particular products,a nod also offering the ability to narrow down the search by brand name, price range, etc.

Product Selection
Usually I am able to find what I am looking for without too much of a problem. Recently I was looking for a chain link gate and some other parts for a fence and I had some trouble finding the specific sized pieces that I needed. But that type of problem has been the exception rather than the rule.

Shipping and Returns
I appreciate the option for free shipping when spending at least $49. Projects can get expensive, and I have found that it's usually pretty easy to reach this plateau, and getting free shipping at that point is helpful in saving a little money.