3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

BEST Tan Ever

I had decided that I would do the "tan in a bottle" this year as opposed to paying to tan.  Besides, I figured I'm less likely to get skin cancer going this route.  I was skeptical to say the least.  I did a lot of homework and read as many reviews as I could find about the products that I thought I'd want to try.

After reading about the Loreal Sublime Bronzer in Real Simple magazine and viewing reviews here I decided to give this one a try because it was rated one of the best bronzers among those that the panelists had tried at Real Simple.

Initially Sublime Bronze appealed to me because while doing my research I'd found out that this didn't have the "orange glow" so common with the tan in a bottle.  I picked the gelee over the lotion available because I have oily skin and lotion always seems to feel heavy to me.

I tried the bronzer for the first time Mother's Day morning.  I was amazed, by **4 PM that day**I was already developing color that you could see.  I've continued to use it everyday as I'd like to get a nice medium brown.  On Friday, my neighbor saw my legs and says to me "I thought you weren't going to go tanning this year?"  I told her I didn't, that my tan was a Loreal tan.  She couldn't believe it and asked me where the orange look was.  The next day, someone else said the same thing to me.  Once again, I was proud to say that my tan is from Loreal.  After one week, I'm ecstatic to report that I still don't have the orange look, but a nice brown.

I've found the product to be somewhat quick absorbing.  Sometimes, I do find that the skin is tacky to the touch several minutes after putting the gelee on.  I haven't experienced any rub off on to clothing yet.  The normal problem areas (knees, elbows and ankles) are no problem.

I disspence a small amount in my hand so that I have better control of where the gelee ends up.  I don't think it has a smell to it or if it does, it's so minimal that I haven't  noticed it.  I do think it could use some more moisturizing properties as I've noticed dry skin even though I exfoliate before putting the gelee on and I'm using it everyday.

I recommend using cheap disposable surgical gloves to put the product on.  I opted to go this way because then the product doesn't go on to my palms and hands and I feel like it's more evenly spread because I'm not worrying about having my hands and palms darker then the rest of me.

As far as price goes, I feel that it's very reasonable.  I looked at the Clinique, St Tropez etc and they were twice the price of the Sublime bronzer and didn't rate as well.

I am definitely hooked on this product, and you will be too, if you try it.  A lotion is available if you don't like a gel.   In case you'd like to tan your face there's also a "face tanner" available.

Do yourself a favor, tan the safe way by purchasing this product.

I smell like raw meat and look like a streaky tan disco ball.

***Quick View:*** It's that time again. The time when the sun is out and I am pale as a ghost. I recalled that I had some of this tanner from last year and gave it a whirl. Well, the streaks were probably my fault for not being more careful but that distinct "meat" self tanner scent and the shimmer is L'Oreal's fault!

***My Take on L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee***

This self tanner is not a gelee. It's a runny liquid. It is tinted which is an absolute plus for me. I like to see where I apply self tanners. it is not a gradual tanner. It gives a tan in just an hour.

I exfoliated my body and then applied this liquid to my legs, arms, and chest. I was careful on my upper body but I guess I applied too much on my legs although I didn't know it at the time. It had the usual self tanner odor but I didn't feel it was too bad ... yet. I liked that this dried fast and wasn't greasy or sticky.

In an hour or so, I saw some color. It looked pretty nice. I was happy. But then I saw my arms and chest were sparkly. I mean really, really sparkly. I have never tanned glittery in the sun and I have NO idea why a self tanner would force me to look like a disco ball. Still, it looked OK so I went to bed.

When I woke up, my legs were a streaky mess. I don't really blame **L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee** for this. I over-applied, thinking it was a more gradual tanner like the daily moisturizing ones are. I also had streaks on my arms. The good news was that I could get rid of most of the streaks in the shower with scrub. However. that also got rid of a lot of the "tan". But it didn't get rid of that...smell. The scent seemed to get stronger overnight and smelled to me like raw meat. I wanted to get away from myself. Even after my shower, I still smelled it. Nothing screams "FAKE TAN" like smelling like it. Like a perm screams "FAKE CURLS" because the scent is so distinctive.

After my shower, my upper body looked fine. It still had a touch of color and a bit of shimmer. My legs are still streaked some and look dirty. The color isn't orange really but a muddy bronze. I used the Medium shade and I am medium skinned. My legs are pretty darn pale though so I probably should have applied much less or even used the Light shade on them.

***My Viewpoint***

Some love** L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee **and enjoy the shimmer. I don't. I am looking at other self tanners that don't smell and that don't streak as much. I have had some success with the gradual tanners and lots of success with Lancome products but I really don't want to spend so much if I don't have to. I have a Banana Boat self tanner coming to me from drugstore.com and we'll see how that one fares. This one, I will give ***3 stars***. Some of the issues were my fault but the meat smell and glitter will be there no matter what you do.

This product streaks easily, looks orange and is VERY shimmery. It doesn't look natural and looks patchy.

Ease of Application
I liked that this dried fast and wasn't greasy or sticky.

Longevity
Top layer washes off but the color stays on for a few days at least before fading away.

Great stuff

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

Out of about seven different tanning products that I use on a regular basis, this is one of my favorites. I decided to try it because it is a different form than most tanning lotions which is a gel instead of a cream. This gel is glittery and rubs on with a tinted hue so you know where you have already applied the cream. This is a very helpful feature. It rubs on pretty smooth and you can do it pretty quickly once you are experienced. Loreal is always a trusted product and they prove that with this self tanner formula. It works very quickly and effectively. You can get very dark with this gel if you choose. It also lasts for a long time because after you apply it and get as dark as you want, my tan has lasted for a week. I have gotten many compliments from others about how real my tan looks when using this product. I would recommend this product to anyone if you want to have a real looking tan in just a few minutes.

Good sun tanning lotion

from Enfield, CT

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

I've tried several sun tan lotions. And been pretty unhappy with them all. This is the first one I've tried that I liked! While many sun tanning lotions work, I have always found the problem to be that they turn your skin yellow in certain places...like in between fingers, on my knees, etc. They would definitely color other areas just fine. But for whatever reason, not the crevices. Crevices always looked yellow. And that obviously doesn't look like a natural tan. But this one truly surprised me! Everywhere I spread it, it looked the right color! I was very surprised, after trying so many out. The smell is pretty normal for a sun tan lotion & it spreads easy with easy application. The color looks natural, as it should. If you're looking for a good sun tanning lotion, this ones for you. I think you'll be just as pleased as I was! It was definitely way better than any other of the millions I've tried.

Decent results

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

This was the first gel self tanning product I ever used. I was intrigued as I'd never seen anything like this and anxious to try it out last year getting ready for a summer trip to the beach. I have to say that overall I did get a mostly streak free tan and didn't look orange so it's a decent product. However, I think there are a lot better options out there so after I finished this bottle I didn't buy it again.

One of the problems with this was it made me darker than I'd have liked to have been. If you're looking for a deeper tan, this is definitely the way to go. Other than that it works as you'd expect it to.

Ease of Application
I ended up NOT liking the gel formula at all. It was runny and sticky and seemed to slide all over the place so it was harder to make the tan look even.

The scent is the other thing about this product I didn't really care for. It doesn't linger, but while you're putting it on it's pretty pungent and unpleasant.

• Longevity:

For a drugstore self tanner, the results are decent

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

I love that this product is in a gel form. It makes it so much more easier to apply it quickly and evenly. It is tinted as well and that makes it so much more easier to know if you missed any spots, or made mistakes, and it insures that it is even. Usually some drugstore self tanners turn an orange color on me sometimes but not this one. The color turned up on me within a short amount of time, which was what I was hoping for. From what I have experienced, this product seems to live up to it's claims and I would purchase this again if I am in need of a quick, easy tan.

I had no problem whatsoever with the effectiveness. The color turned up quickly and was even and natural looking.

Ease of Application
Really easy to apply. I prefer the gel formula over the others. Gel allows you to cover your body quickly and evenly.

I don't care too much for the scent but it could be worse.

Longevity
This doesn't last as long as other self tanners. You will need to reapply every other day or so.

• Longevity:

This made my skin look very uneven

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

I bought this product because I was new to the self tanning concept and did not want to spend a lot of money on something before I knew it was what I wanted. I tried this and the first time, it looked terrible. I made the mistake of not exfoliating my skin and my skin did not absorb the bronze gel very well at all. I exfoliated my skin in the shower and then tried to apply again. It went on much smoother and my skin absorbed the product much better this time. It looked great when I first applied, however as it dried and absorbed, my skin started to look really uneven. I made the mistake of trying to put more on the areas that were not covered well, but it made my skin look worse. I had blotches all over my legs.I think this product was too heavy for my skin and it would not absorb well.

This product did not work well for me.

Ease of Application
This goes on more like a gel than a lotion and was easy to apply, but not easy to even out.

Tan in a bottle

from Georgetown, KY

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

I tried L'Oreal Sublime bronze product after watching a bunch of YouTube videos with lots of people giving it rave reviews. This product gives good color that doesn't look fake. I made sure to exfoliate before so I wouldn't get a streaky look. I tried it a few times without exfoliating and you could tell a difference.

I liked that this product seemed to last a while and not all wash off the first time I use it like some other products I have tried.

Ease of Application
I applied this product mixing it with some lotion so I be sure and not have streaks because I am really pale. It really seemed to help give me the streak free tan I was going for. After you get a base tan from the product after a few days you don't have to as careful applying it.

I also thought this product smelled pretty good compared to others I have tried.

Longevity
Overall this product seemed to work pretty well for the price as long as you exfoliate before and make sure apply an even layer. My tan seemed to last for a good week but I really tried to use lotion to keep moisturized which helps it last longer as well.

I've used better.

from Davis, CA

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

I use tanning lotions all the time since I'm whiter than milk and am prone to skin cancer. So, I know a bit about them. Not many have left me streaky and most work fairly well. Not all are great, but not many are horrible.

L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee is neither. It's not great, but not the worst I've ever used.

I tend to use what's on sale or for what I have a coupon. This was the case when I picked up the L'Oreal gel. I typically use L'Oreal for my hair, so I thought I'd be happy with this as well.

I am pretty lazy when it comes to applying skin care products. I don't want anything complicated. So, please take this into consideration. With this -- and some other -- products, it is important to exfoliate first. I do shave first, but don't exfoliate all areas I apply the tanner to. This is a mistake. Also, I usually use the tanner as a lotion as well. This is a mistake with this tanner.

It is very important to also apply lotion to those areas the tanner will be applied. This is a gel and will absorb into the skin. So, if the skin is too dry in one area and not in another, it will streak. And, it did with me. My fault, but still...

It does last a long time. The tan is dark and skin tans quickly. But, it steaks if not applied very carefully.

Ease of Application
OK, it applies very easily since it's a gel. But, a person has to go through a few steps before applying. Plus, since it's a gel, it's wet. A person has to allow it to dry fully before getting dressed or retiring to bed.

The scent isn't horrible, but not pleasant either. I'm not a huge fan.

Longevity
It lasts a very long time, which is a problem when is smears and streaks.

Mixed results

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

I like how fast the color appears with this Sublime Bronze, but sadly the color is not nearly as natural looking as I had hoped. It would be best to use this when you already have a slight tan and just want to intensify it for stand-out results. I love L'oreal, but this is probably my least favorite product of theirs. It looks bronze alright, but the "tan" doesn't come across as much as the orange-y, unnatural cast. As far as the rest goes, the scent is OK, the viscosity is right and it spreads on the skin fine, too. This will absolutely leave you with orange palms if you do not take care to actually wash it off. The color was not so bad that I did not use it after the first application, but it was a little scary to use because I had to use so much care not to botch it up. My husband eventually took it over and on his complexion it did not look quite as unnatural, but his tone is a little darker than mine. I would consider myself a Medium skin tone, as is he, so I am not exactly ghost-white. The product may work best for certain warm or cool skin tones than other. In other words:YMMV-Your Mileage may Vary!

• Longevity:

It is streaky, orange, and stains clothes.

from West Virginia

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

I have tried several products in the self tanning world and this one was not my favorite. First of all, it is a gel like product. It kind of felt like I was applying aloe lotion to my skin. It's a bit different from what I am used to but I dealt with it.

When it goes on the skin, it has a little bit of a tint to it. This is nice because it helps to see where you are applying it so that you can make sure you get every nook and cranny. After it goes on the skin, I recommend not putting your clothes on for a few minutes. I made the mistake of getting dressed about five minutes after I put this on and my clothes were streaked orange and brown for several washes. It did finally come out of the clothes but it took a couple washes, much like the color does on skin, to get it all out.

The color starts to develop quickly. After a single use I could see that I was streaky and missing spots. My knees, elbows, and the backs of my legs were streaked. My toes also had weird deposits of color. I tried to even it out by applying once in the morning and once at night to the spots that were too light but I could never seem to get it just right. After four days of use I was orange. I didn't have a nice, healthy glow. I looked horrible. A few friends made comments on the color and recommended I quit using it.

Ironically, after I quit using the product, I got compliments on my glow after a few showers. I had to scrub and exfoliate to lighten the color and help it fade faster. After a few days the orange was gone and I had an okay glow for a night or two. It just wasn't worth the hassle. There are better products out there that don't leave me burnt orange.

It did leave color but it wasn't natural. I was a clay or burnt orange color and I was streaky.

Ease of Application
It is easy to apply but hard to get just right. The color tint helps to see where it is applied but it still seemed to go on a bit streaky.

It doesn't smell very good. It smells like I expected though. I think the DHA or something in this gives it a weird smell.

Longevity
It lasts a while after it's applied and I feel like after a few showers, the color looks more natural.

• Longevity:

Look Like You Just Got Back From Vacation!

from Ohio

Comments about L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee:

If you want to get the deepest tan at home, I would recommend using L'Oreal Sublime Bronze tanners! I have used pretty much every different kind of tanner that is available and L'Oreal definitely makes the darkest lotions, mouses and gels you can buy from the supermarket. L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee works fantastic and dries nice and fast, too. Just like all self-tanners, it does have a bit of an odor to it - but that is due to a chemical that is in all fake tanners and is pretty much unavoidable. It does have a bit of a brown hint to it which acts like a color guide when you are applying the tanner to help avoid causing streaks. It also has a built in bronzer so it will definitely leave you sparkling, if that's what you are looking for. The bronzer is great to put on your shoulders and legs to help catch the light and make you look thinner! The sparkles also help reflect sunlight which will help you build a really deep tan if you put in on before going to the beach or laying in a tanning bed. If you want a great tan and you don't live near the beach or you are worried about harmful UV Rays from the sun and tanning beds, L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee is a great solution!