Other Electronic & Computer Accessories:
Remote Controls
Logitech
Logitech - Harmony 550

Logitech - Harmony 550

Likely the last remote control you'll ever need to buy.

The Harmony 550 is one of (if not THE) least expensive of the Harmony series of universal remotes by Logitech. But It has almost as much functionality as the most expensive one. Most of the differences are in the extra bells an whistles (like a touch-screen). The 550 will replace all of your remotes to your home theater set-up. Unlike many other universal remotes that require you to enter various codes for each component who's remote you're replacing, and which can become obsolete as new equipment is released, the Harmony gets its remote codes from logitech via a web-like interface when it is connected to your computer. This way, as new equipment is released, the remote codes can be downloaded over your computer, ensuring that this remote will not become obsolete. The Harmony series of remotes basically operate via macros, which, if you've used other programmable remotes, combine multiple operations into the press of one button. Unlike other remotes, these macros are virtually programmed for you by the Harmony web browser-like software. All you do is answer some questions and the software sets every thing up for you. You can also go in and tweak things to your liking, if the default settings aren't doing everything you want. It's all fairly intuitive if you are comfortable surfing the web. Once everything is programmed, you simply press the button next to the activity you want to do, i.e. Watch my TV, or Watch a DVD, etc. The harmony then turns on the proper components and sets any inputs or channels to the ones specified in the set-up. If everything isn't right, there's even a pretty comprehensive and user friendly help system built right into the remote. You do have to keep the remote aimed in the general direction of your components when selecting an activity, but it's still much easier and faster than pushing the appropriate buttons separately on multiple remotes.

Don't waste your money

I bought one of these for my boyfriend and he loved it. He never had a problem. I decided to get one for my dad too. When programming the remote, we had problems with the DVD/VCR recorder. The remote only recognized it as a DVD recorder. It said we had no VCR. We worked with it for an hour or so, then decided to call customer service. Customer service was worthless. I was on the phone with them for just under two hours, when I was finally so frustrated, I told them to forget it. We tried every solution we they could come up with, but nothing worked. They even had my point my original remote at their remote, so it could learn. But that didn't even work properly. I contacted them several times via email as well, but they kept writing back that they are assuming the problem is resolved. I would also like to add that I am not stupid when it comes to electronics. There is a problem on their end, and unfortunately, they don't even know how to correct the problem.

one device is all you need

from Fort Worth, TX

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

I am a very frugile person and want products with good quality at a reasonable price. the price for this is more than i would usually want to pay, but well worth it. this remote is so easy to operate. a couple of pushes of a button automatically changes your tv with all appropriate devices in order for you to watch tv, a dvd, listen to music, or use your computer. well worth the money and easy to operate for all of us technologically changed people.

Who needs HDMI passthrough ?

from Bloomfield, NJ

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

This remote control is awesome. It controls everything I have (mixed components) and without a fuss. It is smart enough to turn on the correct inputs and channels without you telling it specifically. Just choose an action like "watch TV" ,"listen to a CD", "watch a DVD" or a custom action like "Play Xbox 360". It is very easily programmed through a web browser once connected to your PC by asking you a series of questions. I bought one for my in-laws and they love me for it. Highly recommended.

It is true. One remote does it all!

from Mountain View, CA

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

I have always been skeptical about Logitech's Harmony remote.

This is the case until I have a Logitech Harmony 550 remote. With it, I can replace pretty much all my 10+ remotes around my house. Not only that, it solves my lack of hdmi input in my receiver.

The key of the Harmony remote is macro. It means that it can beam out a sequence of commands for different devices. Another way to call it is activity based command. It means that you just press one button to select the activity you want instead of pressing the button to control a particular device.

For example, you press the Watch DVD button and the remote can send the corresponding commands to all your devices (eg. TV, AV receiver,  DVD player) .  You can program a number of these activities.

All the programming is done on PC and then use USB to update your harmony remote.

It really works!

The only thing I don't like is the troubleshooting. IF something doesn't work during your initial programming, you have to keep answering a series of walkthrough question. Even if you know what exactly the problem is (ie. a time delay for some commands) , you still have to go through that series of help questions.

Other than that, this is one great remote! It's worth the price.

Amazingly Capable

from Ridgecrest, CA

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

The Logitech Harmony series remotes are highly respected among home theater builders, and really anyone who owns multiple components in a tv/receiver setup. If you are tired of having 3,4,5 or more remotes controlling all of your devices with a complicated series of steps to turn on all of those components just to watch a move, you definitely need a Logitech Harmony remote. The 550 is a great inexpensive Harmony remote if you are looking for a no frills remote that will control all of your devices. The remote is a bit tedious and challenging to setup initially but once setup it is worth it's weight in gold. I can now press one button called "watch movie" and all of my components turn on and are put into the correct mode to watch a movie. With one press of the power button it all gets turned off. No more fumbling with multipe remotes and trying to remember which mode to put which device in. Best of all this has a high WAF(Wife acceptance factor) and will win you big points with your lady friend. Having the "glow" feature is fantastic in a dark room rather than fumbling with the buttons trying to remember which is fast forward and which is skip.

Love it so much, we bought a second!

from Auburn, IL

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

Several years ago, after reviewing several universal remotes online, I settled on the Harmony 550 as a Christmas gift for my husband.  He was so tired of a remote for the sound system, one for the TV, one for the DVD/VCR, and one for the Satellite subscription.

One reason for choosing this remote was the shape and size.  It's not outlandishly large and has smooth lines--no curves and hills to the casing.

A second reason for choosing the Logitech Harmony 550 was the price.  It has so many features of the more expensive remotes, that I saw no reason to spend more money than what this one cost.

It took 30-40 minutes for the initial set up, and we were rocking and rolling with one remote!  I will say that we had fairly up-to-date pieces to our entertainment system, so they were all found and were programmable into the remote.

We currently have all new components and the remote is still programmable with them all.

Drawback with the new DISH DVR receiver: not as easy to use the Logitech remote when using the DVR features.  We often pull the DISH remote out of the drawer to use more features than just choosing to record a show.

About two years ago, we purchased a second one of these for our upstairs TV since we like the remote so well.  I would imagine any newer models built on this one are still very nice, but we have no need to upgrade as our 550 is still working wonderfully.

First Harmony, and won't be the last!

from Cameron, WI

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

This is the first Harmony I have ever owned and I love it. It is very easily programmable through computer software. I am a Mac user and the software works great. It is easy to setup. You just have to input the model number, type of device, and brand and the software does the rest. The blue screen is nice and easy to read. A nice feature is that it can learn commands that are not in the Logitech database. I have a Lasko tower fan not included in Logitechs database. All I had to do was take the remote for the fan, place it behind the bottom of the Harmony, and it learned the commands of the fan's remote. Using the software on the computer I named the commands, synced the remote, and boom, good to go! Logitech also makes upgrading to new remotes very easy. Once you get a new remote, all the information is saved on Logitechs server with your username. Just log in, sync your remote and you're back in business. I would highly recommend this remote to anyone.

awesome remote for tv

from Norwich, CT

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

this universal remote control is great. i am a mother with younger children, and i am constantly losing one remote and then finding another in its place that does not work. so i finally decided to get the universal remote control for my home in order to save me alot of stress and yelling at the kids to find the remote. i got a couple of them for different floors of my house and trust me, it was definitely worth it. now, if we are missing a remote from the family room, i just go to the rec room and get that remote and i can use it in the family room. programming the remote was pretty easy in my opinion. the universal remote came with a cd to put in my computer to help me program the remote so that it can work on all the televisions in my home. it was quick and easy for me to program the remote. the remote is a nice size and it has a long battery life as well. i can use it for a long time before battery replacement.

makes my living room tidier

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

One thing that I don't like in my living room is several remotes on the coffee table to operate different kind of electronic devices (TV, amplifier, DVD player, PVR). With this logitech harmony 550, I was able to setup this one remote to operate all 4 of them. I appreciate Logitech in creating such a remote and also a capability to download codes off the internet, so we don't have to manually setup the codes ourselves.

At first, it would take much time for us to setup the way we really want it to work. However, after I was done with the initial setup, everything else was a breeze (except for teaching other people in the family on how to use it).

One negative thing from this remote is, I noticed that the battery runs out fairly quickly. This remote is using 4 AAA batteries and I would prefer to have a remote with built-in rechargeable battery in a more expensive Logitech Harmony series.

Overall, I have been recommending this product to my brothers and they bought it :).

This Logitech Harmony 550 remote is perfect for accessibility.

from Maryville, TN

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

Logitech does a great job with this Harmony 550 remote.  It is perfect for those that are NOT tech savvy in any way and just want to watch their new blu ray or listen to music, or even just watch tv.  With a push of a button, the remote automatically changes all necessary inputs for you.  Also, the price is very manageable compared to some of its competitors, who lets just say, do not have as nice of a product.  I work in an electronic store (not  mentioning which) and this is a great seller of ours.  I ordered one just two days ago for my parents for Christmas and I know they will love it!

Logitech remote

from Garland, TX

Comments about Logitech - Harmony 550:

I recently purchased this remote for my husband on fathers day, along with his new flat screen. Which is mainly why i bought the remote. I have to say that it is an amazing universal remot, its not like any others, and i was very surprised to learn that it controlled everything in my home to all the tv, and dvd players but my stero, kitchen stero and all of my sons game sytems and our digital cable boxes aswell. This was a great investment.