View more routers

Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router

Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router

3.9

Solid Wireless Router for a Trusted Name

Most businesses shun wireless.  Despite the advances in wireless security over the years, there is still a basic belief the wireless communications are prone to hacking, when in fact there are a number of ways you can mitigate the risk to your data.  So when a business I do work for wants to go wireless, I recommend the *Linksys **WRT310N Gigabit Router***, for it security features, speed, and flexibility.

**The 411**

The** ***Linksys **WRT310N Gigabit Router***** **operates at a frequency of 2.4 GHz, and supports the following wireless protocols:  802.11b/g and (draft) 802.11n.  The silver and black, or all black ***WRT310N ***can transmit and receive networking traffic in a range of 1 - 54Mbps (b/g), and provides a maximum throughput 270Mbit/s over the wireless network when used with other 802.11n devices. But the ***WRT310N***** is also a 4-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch. **

The ***WRT310N*** incorporates advanced security features into its design, these include: Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA2 Enterprise) with up to 256-bit AES encryption using EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) and WAP Personal with up to 128-bit TKIP encryption.

The ***WRT310N**** *also adds additional support for Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs), Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), and Port Mirroring making the bridge an enterprise ready solution.

**My Viewpoint **

The *Linksys ****WRT310N Gigabit Router*** is a great product.  Under real-world conditions, the *Linksys ****WRT310N Gigabit Router***'s**** performance exceeds my expectations.  Security is more than adequate, and link speed is acceptable even at fairly long distances.

Various internal controls allow me to control the flow through each Ethernet port; and I can configure port-mapping, QOS, and other advanced switch related features through the easy to use web interface.

If you, or your business is looking for a solid router with a 4-port Ethernet switch that incorporates the latest wireless technologies, look no further than the *Linksys ****WRT310N Gigabit Router***.****  The attractive silver (or black, depending on version number) design is an affordable way for small business client to get and working with wireless.

Do NOT buy this router. Overheating. Locks up. Bad Cust Svc.

Hopefully it lets me post this with 0 starts.  (It didn't)

Hopefully it lets me post this with 0 starts.  (It didn't)

Do your research.  This router is crap.  I thought I had gotten a good one.  Sure, it ran hot, but wireless connections were stable.  Now, after a year, the WLAN connection freezes, as does the admin interface.  Computer to computer connections seem to work ok for the wired connections, but no path out.

I tried mounting it where it gets better air flow.

I loaded latest firmware from linksys website.

I tried sacrificing a chicken and standing on one leg with one arm wrapped around me (not really).

Cisco:  You should fix this or get out of the consumer product business.  The younglings growing up now will remember their crappy Linksys by Cisco products when they become tomorrow's network admins.

USB compatable so you can share it between PC

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

The portable DVD player that we keep in Belle's room is broken.  The DVD player that went with her TV is broken and so Belle can just watch TV in her room now.  The portable DVD player was a free thing from the coke bottle caps and so easy come easy go comes to mind.  But that means that we either have to go down stairs or two the computer to watch a movie.  Can you imagine the injustice?  Well because watching a movie was not the easiest thing to do we went down stair and tried to find something else to do and Belle put a puzzle together on her own.         Today was rather busy.  Just in my area there were three people that were suppose to be here that was not and so if every area had 50% attendance that would explain why we were having such problems  But I cannot remember it being this busy in months. So that means that I did not get to have all of the fun just watching web sites broadcast the college games because I was working so much.  And I know that I am about to head into my fall break But I wanted to get a little school work too.  So get this there is a site called Google docks and I can access this site from work so I can up load some documents to there and then I can read them at work so I can study here too.

The Linksys Wireless N Router is the best for home wireless.

from Glen Allen, VA

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

Linksys has out done itself on this router. They have integrated Cisco firewall technology into this system which makes it more security for people to use wireless technology and feel safer their data will not get compromised. The speed of the wireless is way better than the old G series wireless routers.

The Linksys Wireless Gigabit Router gets you online fast.

from Jamaica, NY

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

My old, blue Linksys router started smoking and eventually gave out one day, and I needed to get a replacement pronto for my home office.  I did some research online and found this Linksys Wireless N Gigabit router.  It was exactly what we needed for our small home network.  I ran to my local electronics big box store and picked this up on sale.  I am so glad I did, because it doesn't run hot like the old Linksys router.  It has easy to read icons that glow in different colors to show if you're connected and the strength of your connection.  Right now, we only have two computers using the router, but we will eventually connect four.  It comes with a CD to help you configure the router, and it was very easy to follow.  I love the fact that there are no ugly antenna on this model.  You can sit it flat on a table top or mount it on the wall.  Plus, you get the great support of Cisco in case you run into any problems.   I found it very user friendly, and even though I use the computer every day, I am by no means an expert.  I highly recommend this for anyone with a small home network.

Ease of access with Linksys wireless router is awesome

from West Alexander, PA

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

I love this router. Makes it very easy to connect my latop and the wii. I can get my Metflix streamlined so much qicker using this router than with my older version. My laptop performs much better as well. All for a great price.

new to wireless/LAN network, the WRT310N is a breeze to start wi

from Cream Ridge, NJ

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

If you are new to the wireless/LAN network, then the WRT310N is a breeze to start with.

You get a router with GIGA band capability, excellent for demanding datastreams like video and graphics.  Just remember to use CAT 6 for the cabling needs.

We bought one to address multiple wireless laptops (different brands), wireless printer/fax and LAN PC's.  The installation could not be easier, once you have found a name for your network [the name is used to identify the network router] and an ID.

Linksys provides the "Easylink Advisor" which will take you through the easy setup and installation, plus once it is up and running, and you loose your internet, just click on the Repair My Wireless Connection and Easylink will reset the WRT310N and reestablish your Internet connection via a few very simple steps.

The LAN setup is even easier, just plug your Internet connection in [cable to modem] and then connect your PC's [and/or printers if they aren't wireless] and turn it on.  The WRT310N will detect any devises connected, and open the large screen in EasyLink Advisor and you will see a virtuel picture of all units connected.  Straight lines are cabled units [PC, Printers, etc.] and the dotted lines are wireless units.  All units connected and turned on will have a green line, and greyed out if/when turned off, and it will turn bright red if there is a problem with the given connection.

The WRT310N displays which of the 4 LAN connections are in use and if it is a Mega (green) or Giga (blue) connection.

The WRT310N supports here 6 Laptops, 1 wireless printer/fax/scanner and 4 LAN PC's.  But we did buy the CAT 6 cables to connect the WRT310N to the modem and two of the fast PC's.  CAT 6 cables are a bit pricey, but definitely worth the extra (compared to a CAT5).

I was surpriced over the Long Range the WRT310N actually have, over 200 feet through a two story building!

Summary, a great buy if you just want to start out with networking, however an excellent choice even for more experienced, as you can select and set all known secerity levels

• Setup & Ease of Use:
  • Service & Support:

The Linksys WRT310N offers wireless capabilities and security.

from New Port Richey, FL

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

I was in the market for a very long time looking for a wireless system that was was both quick and offered security.  I've tried other wireless products in the past that worked well, but didn't offer the security of the Linksys WRT310N Wireless Router.  When I first tried the Linksys WRT310N I was impressed by how easy it was to install and how fast it opperated.  Not only that, the security features are more than I expected as well.

I use both desktop and laptop in my home.  When I use the desktop I simply turn off the wireless system.  When I want to roam around my house with the laptop I simply plug in the USB port and turn on the Linksys wireless system.  The best part about the Linksys WRT310N is that it comes with password verification.  I can use it safely without feeling others are hacking into it.

This router has great wirless N speed, but lacks range...

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

I've gone through about 3 wireless routers in around 5 years, and i must say this is one of my better choices. The wireless N speed is excellent and dosen't suffer no matter how many devices I have wirelessly connected to it. One of the only things that I could say that I don't like about it is its wireless range. In the older wireless G models the range never suffered, but I have to say in this model I have to be on the same floor of the house to get full connectivity. I don't know if it is the lack of external antennaes in this model or what but I can only get it to flicker between Good and Very Good (for us Windows users). Oh, and one more thing if you are worried about compatibilty you shouldn't be, this router has worked with all of the modems I have teamed it up with in the past 2 years without any problems. The user interface for its setup is very user friendly, and easily managable for a tech begginner. Well thanks for reading this review and if you decide to buy this product you wond regret it.

Linksys WRT310N Wireless Rounter sounds like a asset

from Lindale, TX

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

I must say that the Linksys WRT310N Wireless Router would be a great partner with my D-link DWA-160.  I am able to connect to a network in the park wherre I reside for free and there are times when the signal just isn't quite up to par.  It is my understanding that the above mentioned router would help me aquire a better signal range as well as increase the "speed" of my current connection.  I have a gospel music ministry called Broken Shackles and I have a lot of hits to my website and I am steadfast in answering those who contact me and show their support of our testimony of what God has done in my life and my husbands.

I also have an online business account doing exactly this....participating in surveys and reviews in order to earn alittle extra maoney and rewards for my efforts as I am disabled and cannot work outside my home!

Thanks for allowing me to review your product and upon financial gain...I will definitely acquire one of your products!

It works, looks nice on the desk, and is reliable.

from Framingham, MA

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

I've always had good experiences with Linksys products. This router does what I need it to.

My biggest complaint is that I have never been able to setup the wireless network without using the Setup disk that came with the router. I've setup wireless networks several times and was always successful. There's something about the security features that eludes me. It may be that using it with WIndows and Linux is the problem. BUT setting up wireless with Linux was never the problem.

For the more technically inclined, this router works with DRT [http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php] replacement firmware.

Does the job

from York, PA

Comments about Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router:

This is the first router I've ever bought and after much research and talking with friends, I decided to get a Linksys by Cisco router.  I am very happy with it's function so far - I've had it for about 3 months now.  Occassionally when our power goes out, it needs to be reset, but once that's done it is fine.  It is a wireless-N broadband router (model number WRT160N).  I don't have anything to compare it to and not sure if I needed this large of a range, but it says I can sit outside and still have wireless service.  I have not tried that yet but I don't have problems getting a signal from any room in my home.  This product does claim to have an internal antenna array for edxpanded wireless coverage.  Again, I'm not sure what it would be like to not have this - I have nothing to compare it to.

This router also has some advanced security features which you may want to check out before you buy to see if it could benefit you.