Other Routers:

Linksys Router

Pros

Cons

• Service & Support:

The WRT54GL is probably the best router available.

I have owned this router now for over 5 years and it has been powered on and doing it's job the entire time. I have to admit this is by far the most well built and best functioning router I have ever owned. The wireless range is very good as well, more than enough for what anyone would ever want. The router has lot's of internal settings as any good router should, everything is simple and has clean layout in the settings.

This router doesn't support wireless N, but it does support wireless B/G. Wireless N was before this routers production period, and still even today isn't as common as B/G. I have had this router connected to every wireless device I have owned over the years with not a single problem. It's been connected to Laptop PC's, desktop PC's, Sony PSP's, a Nintendo Wii, and more. It supports a wide variety of security settings and firewall options so you can feel secure no matter what.

Port forwarding is very easy to do in the router settings, as well other tasks like setting up your wireless security. These routers support quite a few types of security protocols so you shouldn't have any problem finding one that meets the requirements of all your devices. The wireless is fast and reliable, rarely dropping connection if it ever does. Anywhere in my house I have a strong connection other than the garage and utility room which has lot's of pipes and such in the way of the signal, but even then I can still connect.

With a bit of work, these routers can also be upgraded to use a custom firmware known as Tomato to even further boost usefulness. Added features such as real-time bandwidth monitoring and more can make this more than a router for the right user. The newer Linksys routers don't support the custom firmware so this specific model is the one to get if you want more features than you know what to do with.

Over the years I have since upgraded the router with better antennas and have upgraded the router firmware as well for new features and even more options. You honestly can't find a better router than this one for such a wide range of use. The amount of user control you have with this router is incomparable to most routers even released today. If you are looking for a very solid router that will last you a long time to come then this is what you should be looking for. You don't have to be tech savvy to get the most out of this router either, but it does help.

Does its job

This router does the job.  It might not be the flashiest, or have the most features, but it does what it’s supposed to, which is to connect me to the internet.  The range is pretty decent.  I keep it in my living room, and I can still get a signal from three or four rooms away.  In fact, if I go downstairs to my neighbors place, I can still get a pretty strong signal.  This is good for mobility, but you have to make sure that it password protected so that people don’t steal your internet.

On a related note, the setup is kind of confusing.  I use AT&T Roadrunner for my internet, and I can’t just “plug and play” with this router.  So, I had to “clone” the IP of my laptop in order for the router to work properly.  The setup was a mess, because you have to set a password for the administrative account, plus find your computer’s IP and copy it to the router’s system, then restart.  Restart, restart, restart… you might have to do that quite a bit with this router.  And, this router takes a little bit of time before it can connect.  I like to turn off all the power when I leave, and whenever I restart the power, my computer always loads faster than the router can connect, which is kind of annoying.  But it works.

Linksys quality continues

Comments about Linksys Router:

The WRT54GL is a basic wireless router with easy to manage settings, and delivered by a quality brand. The down sound is that this router doesn't support N wireless.
For your basic home use of browsing the web and streaming content this router will do fine.

This isn't the fastest or most configurable unit on the market. If you are looking for speed or options. Look to some of the higher end routers from ASUS. If you are looking for a run of the mill device that is fast enough to stream HD content, play games and surf for a few users. This is the router. The price point is good for the performance.

I have had 0 issues and I've had this router for some time. It has been knocked off the shelf, and fallen a significant distance and it continued to work. It's built like a champ.

Setup & Ease of Use
The firmware on the Linksys routers is super simple, and can be setup by someone with very little technical expertise, and still offers additional advanced features. Once its setup you only have to remember your wifi key to keep going.

Service & Support
My only concern with these and any device from linksys is they seem to drop support very quickly for them, so some firmware issues go unfixed. Otherwise the customer service is good.

Great Product

Comments about Linksys Router:

This is the first router I ever had and after 5 years it still works perfectly! I was told that routers break down and need to be changed every 2 to 3 years, but this router keeps going without any issues. I'm so happy I bought it, it has saved a lot of money rather than constantly having to change routers.

Great.

Never any problems.

Setup & Ease of Use
Very easy to setup and use.

Service & Support
This company is difficult to get any type of customer service. After 6 or so years I still don't know how to get in touch with a customer service person. In fact I don't think I've ever spoken with one of their customer service people, I'm starting to doubt that they even have them!

• Service & Support:

The most durable router I have ever seen.

Comments about Linksys Router:

My brother bought this Linksys bad boy WRT54GL router six years ago. That's right, six years it has been working effectively and still in use at his place. Router itself has been efficient with a decent range and performance and never needed to be taken for service. The only thing that has been replaced in six years of constant use is the power adapter. After so many years, now he is having issues with network dropping on one of many devices connected but it works perfectly after resetting. There are roughly ten devices connected to Wi-Fi through this router and it is still giving an adequate performance. I salute linksys for such a durable and reliable product.

It does not have a very great range but you can select the one that suits your range but its excellent for small home setting.

Absolutely incredible.

Service & Support
I never really needed to resort to Linksys service for router issues it was just my power adapter that fried and needed replacement twice in six years.

Higher qualty

Comments about Linksys Router:

I've had this router for about a year or so and it's been great, no problems at all. What i love the very most about the Linksys router is that it has multiple Ethernet plugs that i use to plug in my Xbox 360 and computer. The extra plugs are something that you don't know you need until you need it, and you can't go without them. I was actually able to get the router for much cheaper form a friend who didn't need it, but the retail price is not to bad compared to other routers that can cost up to hundreds and don't have any extra plugs that i value highly.

From the moment i bought it the router has not given my any difficult problems accept once, and all i needed to do was unplug it and plug it back in.

It still works perfectly fine but the top does seem a bit flimsy and anything heavy could easily break it.

Setup & Ease of Use
I had someone else initially set it up, but i have moved it and it's very easy, just plug in the pieces, put 2 and 2 together.

Service & Support
The password for the WiFi is on the bottom but the person that set it up put a different password on it for us and i still have no idea how he did it.

Easy to set up and use.

Comments about Linksys Router:

I've found this to be easy to install and use, accessible for all my devices from any room in my house, all at a very good price. I'm not particularly tech savvy, so something cheap and easy is just my speed; this meets it.

Excellent. I've got the router plugged into my PC and, with it, I connect my Kindle and one other wireless device. From any room in my house I've been able to connect to the internet to download books or surf the web.

I've had my router for nine months and haven't had any issues with it. It has never cut off, it has never had overheating issues, and runs just as well today as it did the day I first plugged it in.

Setup & Ease of Use
Extremely easy. Within, maybe, five to ten minutes out of the box, this router was hooked up and operating. Once installed, my wi-fi capable devices easily acquired the signal and connected. No worries, it does allow password protection.

Service & Support
I don't know how good their service and support is because I've never had to use it. I hope this will remain a mystery.

Easy to use router

from Talbott, TN

Comments about Linksys Router:

When we needed a router for a vacation rental we got this one and I was amazed at how easy it was to set up. My whole family used it with their computers and tablets and even an xbox 360 and I have to say my next router will definately be a linksys. All we had to do was plug it in and then it was ready to go we couldn't have asked for an easier to use router.

We didn't have any trouble using the product even though there were two computers, two tablets and one xbox360.

My next router will definately be a linksys.

Setup & Ease of Use
Amazing and easy to use. Just plugged it up and it was ready to go.

Service & Support
So far we haven't had to use it because of how easy it was to plug up and use, but they did supply the numbers and websites if needed. love it.

Good "G" router

from 141201636

Comments about Linksys Router:

Good router, easily set up by novice if you follow directions. Good connectivity and lasted about 30mo before I replaced it with an "N" router. The size is small enough that it can be hidden just about anywhere to keep it out of sight. Customer service was excellent when I called with an issue about 14mo into using it (small power plug issue). Overall a great buy for someone wanting a "G" router.

• Service & Support:

Great for visitors in my house to connect to the internet

from Macomb, IL

Comments about Linksys Router:

I have had this for about seven years. It works really well - the only down side is that I found it difficult to install. I also read somewhere that it isn't the most secure, but since it's only used within my home that isn't so important.

• Service & Support:

Gaming compatible router that is reliable and easy to use!

from Athens, GA

Comments about Linksys Router:

My husband went and got this router when he was having problems connecting the internet with his Xbox. This router was on the compatible list and recommended by my Dad so we got it. This router has definitely been worth every penny. Not only does it work with his Xbox, but I can see an improvement in the other wireless devices as well. We can have laptops using wireless and the Xbox using wired without much lag on both ends. There is some loss of speed but this is not the multiuser router so the little lag we have is awesome.

While I know this isn't important to the "technically minded," this router has recently been streamlined to be smaller and much more stylish. (I have attached a picture of the new router look.) I would never get technological products based solely on appearance but it is nice to have a product that works excellently and doesn't look atrocious. The lack of antennas is also helpful because I do not have to worry about where they need to be placed or account for them on my shelf.

The router was extremely easy to set up. We are both pretty computer savvy but we did not have to recall any of that knowledge to set this up. The connection is very steady and reliable. Our old router continuously lost its connection and  had to be reset often. We have not had this problem with our new router. (We have had it for about 9 months.)

Great Linksys product

from Salem, MO

Comments about Linksys Router:

I have owned my model of Linksys router for over 5 years and have never had a problem with it. It never overheats, has 4 port-switches and easy on and off buttons. It requires a short cord to hook up to your pc plus it comes with about a six foot power cord. It all connects rapidly and easily. It takes only minutes to set it up and only that long because you have to decide where to put it at on your computer desk. It is about 5 inches by 5 inches with the two antennaes standing up about three inches in the back of it. The router stands on four very sturdy feet so no problems with tip-overs or sliding around at all. I have bought a couple of other brands of routers but none have ever met my expectations better than Linksys. It it used for 3 computers in the house and everything runs  quickly and promptly. Plus it is one the best routers for security on the market. You can't get a bettter router for your computers.