Other Laptops:

Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC

Pros

Cons

Solid laptop

After suffering with a Dell Inspiron for 4 years, my recent purchase of the Lenovo Thinkpad leaves me extremely satisfied. This is a high quality piece of hardware. It comes out of sleep/hibernation mode seamlessly. It never overheats or crashes (my Dell frequently did). The fan is quiet. And the Lenovo system tools and resources work quite well.

I rarely move around with the laptop, but the battery has held up nicely. Usually, I can work for 90 minutes before recharging.

The one negative thing I have to say is that the laptop looks ugly. It's not as stylish as a Mac. But who cares about style?

good machine with minor issues

I am the desktop administrator at my work and we used to order these machines frequently when they first came out but I have seen the same thing tend to break on this particular model of machine. Since we had a three year warranty on the machines the issue didnt effect us from a financial standpoint but it did cause a bit of downtime for the person whose machine it was as well as more overhead on my as the administrator having to fix the same issue continually. I have noticed that the system fan on this particular model is prone to break, I have had it break on many of these machines while still in the three year window of thier warranty and have had to send the machines into the repair depot to have it replaced or have the fan sent out to me to replace it myself. I have also had a few hard drives break and stop be usable in these machine causing downtime for the person whose machine in was in the machine needed a new hard drive, haveing to image the hard drive  and then haveing the resetup all of the customization of the user. I would recommend this machine and model to others I would however just suggest getting a warranty on the machine in case of hardware failure.

Alright but nothing special.

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

A clunky, boxlike appearance does not suit any sort of laptop. Add an explainable weight to it and you get a tech geeks worst nightmare, a clunky, heavy laptop. Although the internal processing may be fast, the appearance immediately nullifies any positives the laptop might have had. Although it fast, the start up time is very slow. All in all this product is okay but again, it is nothing special.

Good for the money

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

A solid computer, may not be the best looking piece of technology but it more than gets the job done. Good for the money graphics are good and very durable. Battery life isn't the best but i have had worse. Overall I would recommend this computer to anyone on a budget or new to computers.

Never Regretted buying My Lenovo

from Pierpont, SD

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

After years of buying Dell computers, I opted to change to this Lenovo laptop, which had been recommended by a local computer specialist. I have never regretted it. This machine is quite versatile-I haven't discovered anything that can't be done with it yet. Big keyboard. I've had it for over a year now and it still works like a charm. Screen is wide and clear. I have mine connected to a Dell computer which I plan to switch to a Lenovo as soon as possible. Great for word processing, communication. I can't vouch for the web cam, though, because I don't use webcams. This is my personal computer, however, I wish we had them at work too. It was easy to set up to my internet server, printer, and was already installed with all necessary software. The only issue I have with it is I don't think the battery lasts long. So, I usually leave it plugged in to insure I have the power. Highly recommend this product.

My first laptop

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

This is my first laptop. I am not computer savvy, but I like this laptop because I can be mobile within the house. I like all the programs on it. I didn't like that I had to purchase windows program separately. Otherwise, great machine.

This IBM ThinkPad is a dream

from Navarre, FL

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

This thing is a dream, I carry it every where I go. Connecting is so easy everywhere, from Dennys to the airport. It does anything I need it to do, but better than that it's easy. Graphics are perfect better than any of the others I've had. (ATI Mobility x1300)

The keypad has perfect size buttons, big enough to easily push, yet not so big that these small hands have to reach. Just the amount of pressure on the keys was the seller for me. They don't jump at the touch, and you don't have to mash them down to get them to work. This computer has everything my desk top has without the bulk. All the idot lights are at the bottom, below my screen to be seen at a glance, not on the base. I like that!

I can listen to music or watch TV with the build in speakers or with head phones.

Light weight and slim it's very portable, so easy to take anywhere.

The only thing it doesn't have is card readers, and I'm not so sorry for that as I rarely use them.

A fujitsu-cd-rw dvd drive covers anything I put in there. It has 3 usb ports 2 on one side and 1 on the other. About 2 more than I'll ever use at one time!

Without getting technical I can't say much more, other than it out-does my 2 old Dell's hands down!

• Speed/Performance:

reliable, don't go with the minimal setup, rugged

from Clovis, CA

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

This has a smaller footprint than the IBM Laptops of old and it even seems better at holding up to my extensive fieldwork.  I work in dusty places and my Lenova has held up beautifully.  It is easy to upgrade and I do recommend getting 1 gig of RAM along with a seperate videocard.  My unit had no dead pixels and fortunately came with Windows XP2....although I do hear Vista is finally shaping up.  Overall, this computer rivals any Dell, HP, and Gateway I've owned.

YOU GOTTA BUY THIS

from Memphis, TN

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

YOU SHOULD TRY THIS LAPTOP. MY FRIENDS RECENTLY GOT ONE AND THEY LOVE IT. THEY SHOWED ME WHAT THERE COMPUTER  CAN DO COMPARED TO MINES TO WHERE THEY TALKED ME INTO BUYING ONE (WHICH IS ON IT WAY) I ORDERED MINES ONLINE AND GOT A GOOD DEAL ON ONE BECAUSE I HAVE A MYPROMISE ACCOUNT I GOT AN ADDITIONAL 200 OFF THE PRICE OF MY COMPUTER PLUS FREE SHIPPING. JUST GO TO TIGERMARK.COM

The best laptop I've had

from Rocklin, CA

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

I bought this machine over 3 years ago during which time it has been my primary home computer.  I have not had any problems with it whatsoever.  When I bought the machine, I had called Lenovo customer support about some minor problem.  At the time they send me the recovery CDs.  So far, I've used the recovery CDs twice because of virus issues.

Other than that I have had no problems whatsoever with the machine.  It is the perfect balance of weight and performance.

I've use a bunch of different Dells and HPs as my work computer given to me by my various employers over the years.  I can confidently say that this one has been way more reliable than any of those machines, both in terms of software stability and in terms of the durability of the construction.  At this point, I wouldn't even consider any other brand.

There's a great support community at http://forum.thinkpads.com.  I usually go there when I want to find out what model to get or if I have questions about tweaking settings for perforrmance or trying to find out how to configure things.

I uninstalled the Norton security stuff (which came with a 90-day trial that I never used) and installed AVG's free edition instead.

I only wish they offered these machines with Linux preloaded and offered support for that configuration.

good machine with minor issues

from Draper, UT

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

The IBM Wireless ThinkPad is pretty damn good!

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Lenovo ThinkPad Notebook PC:

I have been using this lap top for at least a month now and I've got to say; it's pretty damn good! There were a few things that through me off at first (I had only used big PCs before this) but after a little while I was off and running and haven't looked back since! The only thing I didn't like was that it doesn't stay charged for very long so you pretty much just have to stay plugged in all the time :( But other then that, I am quite happy with this lap top :D I think this would be a good lap top for first time users because it's very easy to learn and very easy to use! With the nice sized keys that are very clearly labeled and it's got such a nice big screen compared to some of the other dinky little lap tops out there. So if you've got a kid begging for a lap top I think this would be a good choice. It's easy, it's big and they can't really go anywhere with it even though it's wireless!