Other Building Sets & Blocks:
Lego
LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842)

LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842)

Pros

Cons

Absolute Magic

My son got this for his 8th birthday and the look on his face when he opened it was priceless!  He had been counting down the days until the Harry Potter Legos were released and couldn't believe that someone had given him the most expensive set.

Despite his excitement over receiving the gift, it sat in the box for over a month.  (This is a kid who usually rips open the Lego box in the car and tries to put it together on the way home from the store.)  Once or twice, he got everything out to put it together, but he'd always say that he didn't feel like building it and put it back in the box.  My son is a fantastic Lego builder and has never had trouble with a Lego set before in his life, but I think Hogwarts Castle was just too overwhelming for him.

Last week, I suggested that we turn our regular "Family Game Night" into "Family Lego Night" and have all 3 of us build the castle together.  My son was thrilled!  We each took an instruction booklet (it has THREE books of instructions!) and did our own part of the castle.  What a wonderful evening!  We all had so much fun "exploring" the details and features of our parts of the castle, sharing what we'd made, and spouting off Harry Potter quotes as we went.  Best of all, my son has his Hogwarts Castle on display... and a wonderful family memory to go with it.

Young enough to love it but way too little to play with it.

A friend of mine has two little boys ages three and five, they love anything that has anything to do with harry potter, actually so does their older brother who just turned 13. My freind is a total sucker for his younger boys who begged and whined and pleaded until he droppped 129.99 on the Lego Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle. They went gaga, they loved it, they tore it apart in less than two days, their are pieces of it in my freinds living room, down the hall, in the boy's room and out in the back yard. The older boy said it was "kinda cool, i guess" and never gave it a second glance. He loves Harry Potter even more than his younger brothers, the books the movies, the video games and the poster of the magic wielding trio hanging above his bed, he even likes legos, he likes to build things from them, his own creations, to him Harry Potter Lego Castle seemed like the worst of both worlds. Its Harry Potter but with blocky, box like figures of his heroes and its Legos but the design is already in place with very little flexibility to put them together in a new way, long story short, the little boys took it over and proceeded to destroy it as young boys tend to do with the toys they love. My friend is out 130 smackers for a toy that only very youn children find interesting, and thats only because they love to tear it to itty bitty peices. Older kids would rather just play Harry Potter on the X-Box or watch one of the movies, personaly I liked the books.

Inventive and imaginative

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

This product encourages kids to utilize their knowledge of the Harry Potter world into building the castle, Hogwarts. It is a good price and I would definitely recommend it to any other parent. The pieces are not as tiny as they are in some other Lego sets, so their is less of a danger that a child or pet will swallow one. I love this!

Fabulous set with great minifigs

from Stone Mountain, GA

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

Lego has done a fabulous job with this Harry Potter set. The Hogwarts castle come with many of the rooms you will recognise from the movie/book plus several of the key characters as minifigures. It took my son several hours to put this together and it is probably his favourite set. i recommend this to all Lego and Harry Potter fans.

Really fun and the best part is when building it.

from Glendale, CA

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

It is really nice. A little expensive but you should expect that from Lego. There are enough mini figures and cool little pieces. The best part is when you get abunch of cool tiny thins the you can use to decorate and bring the set to life.

I love Legos and I love Harry Potter, which = winner!

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

I grew up on legos, and really enjoyed using my mind to play with them. Harry Potter opened my mind to all kinds of fun things, and who wouldn't want to go to Hogwarts! So this was a great combo. I really enjoy the detailed parts of school, which made it come to life even more. It's a bit intricate, so it's quite time consuming, but that's what you want when you spend some dough on a big item. Make sure you keep a good inventory of all your items, if you don't you'll be sure to lose one. It makes for a fun time with an older companion, i would say that younger kids would not enjoy this because it's above their level. Overall it's a great time! The Castle is also very sturdy, even though it has a ton of pieces, i don't see it falling all over the place, which is also nice. As i said before it is a bit costly, so you might want to save your pennies, or find some way to get it discounted. But for lego and Harry Potter lovers this is a great buy and a great time!

Lego Harry Potter Castle is great entertainment!

from Aurora, IL

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

My son received the much sought after Lego Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle for Christmas and since we were out of town visiting family  I wouldn't let him open it to begin building  in fear we would lose pieces before we would arrive at home.  Fast forward to today and the arrival home!  He immediately opened it and he has been working on it for hours and is having a ball!  He is 8 and has not asked for any help so I would say the label is age appropriate and simple enough to construct. This is the first project that he has not asked me for help on.   He is making real progress and I think it will be keeping him entertained for the rest of the week.  It was packaged nicely and the instructions are clear.  I have another Harry Potter set (Hagrids Hut) on order and I know he is going to love it too.   The only thing I didn't like was the price (quite expensive for a bunch of plastic blocks)  and the difficulty in actually finding it...it was sold out almost everywhere I looked before Christmas.   I look forward to buying more sets for him in the future!

Absolute Magic

from Saint Petersburg, FL

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

Great Lego Toy!! Highly Recomend!!

from Lubbock, TX

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

I love this bought it for my HARRY POTTER loving daughter and she is in love. She loves the books, the movies, everything Harry Potter. She wants me to get all of them for her. She really enjoyed putting it together and she was soooo proud when she was finished!!

A Gift For Your Harry Potter Fans!

from Brigham City, UT

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

We have a high school nearby that we call Hogwarts! it's very old and even though it doesn't look exactly like Hogwards, it has that look. When my kids were little they would get excited when

they spied it and would call out excitedly, there's Hogwarts! Now Lego's Brand has made a Hogwarts Castle just for Harry Potter fans! My kids are a little to old for Hogwarts Castle, but I know my grandkids would love to play in a castle. What a great way to let little imaginations soar! If I were young I would like to escape into Hogwarts Castle for a few hours!

A great lego creation!

from Wichita, KS

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

Obviously, everyone knows about Harry Potter. Harry Potter, first a set of books, and now a series of hit movies, has been popular for over a decade. It appeals to people of all ages: children, teens, and adults. Harry Potter has quite the cult following!

It's no surprise then, that Lego decided to create a set for building the famous Hogwarts Castle (where Harry Potter and all the other wizards go to school.)

This highly involved recreation of the castle is very intricate, and not made for young children to assemble. It comes with 682 pieces and does come with very clear instructions on building the castle. The best part about this castle, as you build it, is that you will see Lego was careful about including several little details that fans will enjoy: moving pictures, flames from the torches, owls in the towers. You also get the following characters: Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Draco Malfoy, Albus Dumbledore, Professor Snape, Hagrid, Hermoine Granger.

We throughly enjoyed this lego castle. Just remember - not for young kids. They will be too frustrated!

Hogwarts LEGO castle

from Merrimack, NH

Comments about LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle (4842):

My son just LOVED the Harry Potter LEGO Hogwarts castle.  He was glued to castle until he finished building it.  I thought that the directions looked hard.  They were only pictures showing you what to do, no words (which I guess is what children want).  My son had absolutely no difficulty at all building the castle.  I thought he would be calling me over wanting help building it (I thought it would be fun to do it together), but he did it all by himself and was very proud of himself.  And it looked great when it was done.  A great product!