Other Building Sets & Blocks:
Building Sets
Lego
LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907)

LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907)

Pros

Cons

Awesome advent calendar

This is a wonderful advent calendar.  This is a calendar that has 24 different "doors" that you open each day.  You start on December 1st and open a door each day until Christmas.  Behind each door is something to build with legos or else a minifigure.  Each door has something different to build each day.  Some things you build are a tree, train, toys, etc.  My kids love opening this calendar each day to see what they get to build.  You don't know what is behind the door until you open it.  We bought one of these calendars last year and the stuff we built last year was different than the one this year which is wonderful.  The advent calendars come in 2 or 3 different ones but we have always had the lego city ones.  The nice thing about these are that at the end of December you have legos to add to your collection as well as some minifigures including Santa.  My only complaint is that it would be nice if the lego calendar would be made of something that could be reused instead of having to throw it out.  We really like this calendar and plan to buy one next year also.

Not a "No Brainer" for Lego Fanactics

With an 8-year-old Lego fanatic in the house, this seemed like a “no brainer.”  Knowing the Lego Advent calendars sell out quickly, we purchased this for our son’s birthday in October and saved it until December 1st.  Maybe the novelty had worn off by then, but I was really surprised at how little interest my son had in this advent calendar when the time came to begin using it.

As other reviewers have noted, the calendar works by opening a flap each day, taking out the package of Lego pieces, looking at a picture printed on the back of the flap, and building a miniature model of some sort.  Sometimes you build something cool, like a skater minifigure, and sometimes you build something a lot less cool, like a sofa.  Ideally, everything comes together by Christmas and you have a fun and exciting Cityscape to play with, but too many of those “boring” builds just seemed to kill my son’s enthusiasm.  In fact, my son said he would rather do a daily build where you completed one big piece – like a building or a bus – a little bit at a time.

Every morning, my son opened the flap and took out the package of Lego pieces and set them aside.  (As I said, this kid is a Lego fanatic, so the fact that he didn’t even want to build them speaks volumes to me.)  I was really discouraged because, as others have noted, this is not an inexpensive advent calendar.  We had such high hopes for making the countdown to Christmas more fun by combining the traditional advent calendar with the fun of Legos, but it was a big disappointment for us.

I guess this story has a happy ending, though, as we ended up taking all those little packages out on Christmas Eve and building everything at once as a family… and playing with our Cityscape together.  Still, I will not purchase another Lego Advent Calendar next year.

My boys loved this advent calendar!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

My boys were so excited when their grandma and grandpa got them this as a gift. We usually did those chocolate advent calendars so this was a nice change. They were so excited to open a new door each day. It felt like we were spreading out Christmas a bit because they were getting little gifts each day of December. They had a lot of fun with it. It also has a little cardboard town that comes down so there is something to play with the Lego items on. There were some little figurines, Christmas items, Lego city things and more. They would just put it back in the doors after they were finished playing for the next day. Then they would pull them all out again and play all over with whatever the new item was and with the ones they had already opened. I know that these can be a little expensive, but we found ours on sale. We were able to get ours at a toy store. I would definitely look into these again if they came up with some different ones. I know that there was a Star Wars advent calendar for Lego as well. These are such a fun gift to give to someone!

Perfect little treats for each day of December!

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

This is the perfect toy for your little builders! Each day of December leading up to Christmas your little one can open and build a character or object. Once they are all built, you have a Lego City scene. Perfect toy for kinds to improve their hand-eye coordination skills.

great advent calendar for boys

from Stone Mountain, GA

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

the lego city advent calendar is a fabulous addition to the christmas tradition. each day has a small piece of lego that is either something to be built or a minifigure. the small pieces usually all have the same theme so they sometimes can be connected together to make a bigger model. my sons were very excited each morning to open the door and see what was inside. they made up stories about the minifigures. my younger son is too little (he's 3) to build anything so our 5 year old built everything for him. we are big lego fans in our house so this will definitely be an ongoing yearly tradition. i would recommend this to any family who enjoys lego.

The Lego City Advent Calendar kept the kids busy for a month!

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

The kids loved the Lego Advent Calendar. I purchased one calendar for my 3 kids. We let our youngest open the first day and so on. The were so excited everyday, even when it wasn't their turn. They loved seeing something new everyday. Some items, were trash cans, lamp posts, a bench, etc. My kids used them with the other Lego city sets we own and made a Christmas park area. The Lego pieces take only a couple of minutes to put together each day, but they played with them for a least a hour each day! It came with some cute mini figures, too. I am sure the kids would have liked to get more of those. It is a great set for some unique accessories to go with your other Lego city sets.

Lego City Advent Calendar is well worth the price!

from Reading, PA

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

I bought this Lego City Advent Calendar for my 8 year old grandson and he loves it!  He can hardly wait to open the next tab to discover what's inside.  He's just really starting to love Legos and this has made him even more interested in building with them.

Lego Advent Calendar is such fun!

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

My kids loved counting down the days to Christmas with the Lego Advent Calendar.  It was with much joy that they each took turns opening up a new toy each day!  I was able to bring Advent into our home with a fun festive kid friendly calendar.  Will definitely get again next year!

Great

from Oxford, MS

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

My child LOVED this set!  It was so exciting to open a new part every day.  The set was really hard to find, but it was very worth the search to get it.  I love that Lego has all these cool new sets that build a specific item or multiple items.

A fun family event

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

We love the LEGO City Advent Calendar!  It is such a brilliant idea by LEGO!  We did it last year when it first came on the market.  My husband and I gave it to our children on Thanksgiving to start getting them excited.  Well, that definitely worked; they could not wait for December to come so we could start building the things!  Finally it did come and each night after dinner, we would all sit together, open the corresponding day, and build whatever little item we were supposed to for that particular day.  At the time our children were 3 and 5.  They needed a bit of help with some of the more complex creations, but by and large they were both able to construct most things by using the pictures.  It became a contest as to who would finish dinner first and be ready to make the LEGO creation for the night!  After Christmas, we saved all the little cards showing how to make the stuff and the pieces in a little bag.  We got them back out this year, too!  Great product!

LEGO ADVENT CALENDAR

from Chino Hills, CA

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

I got this item from the lego store last year , and was saving it until my son was old enough.  The advent calendar was great , my son was able to open one door per day and build a Christmas themed lego set each day.  The only draw back to this product was that each individual set did not come with step by step instructions.  And a couple of the days my son ripped the plastic bag the indiviudual set came in making it almost impossible to see the picture on the outside.  Otherwise it was a great experience and he looked forward to his daily dose of LEGO !!  Also , every few sets , there were instructions on how to put multiple sets together to build a larger figure. My four year old loved following the instructions to build the " super set " as he called them.  This is a great product and I would recommend it to the 4 - 8 age frame.  Any older than that it would seem tedious and they would be bored.  Thanks for reading !!! Hope you like it too !!

How can you go wrong with Legos?!

from Oregon City, OR

Comments about LEGO City Advent Calendar (7907):

I don't think we've ever been unhappy with a Lego purchase.  This set is no different.  I was lucky and got this set on clearance at our local Lego store.  The kids were so excited that they got to open something new everyday.  What better present than getting a new mini Lego every day?

The box that the figures are in is well made.  You wouldn't think that's important, but since your child will be handling this everyday, it's nice that it doesn't fall apart on day 5.  My kids had the best time trying to guess what would come next.  Most of the figures had little attachments.  Like the little firefighter there were flames and he's holding a fire extinguisher.  And the little Christmas tree has tiny little ornaments.  The figures even have tools like a hammer, a gas can and a circular saw.

Lego has hit a home run again with this special Christmas toy.  I love that they have different themes and my boys loved the Lego City advent calendar.