Other Kids' Electronics:
LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer

LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer

Pros

Cons

Familiarize children w/ correct way to use a key board and mouse

I bought this just to get used to a mouse.  It works great for that.  The keys are in the same configuration as a real key board.  You can convert it for a left or right handed child.  I also bought the leapster adapter because it works with all leapfrog productes that have an adaptor hole (don't know technical name).  I strongly recommend getting the adaptor otherwise you will go through a lot of batteries.  They recently released a new one that comes in a pinkish purple color.  It also is good just to teach basic video game concepts and as a self esteem booster because there is no way to lose.  However that is also a con.  There are two levels settings and on the first level i understand there being no way to lose, but by the time a child is older and they can play the second level they want a little challenge.  Part of the whole fun of games is that there is something to beat such as time running out or being defeated but there is non of that.  The other problem i have is that it only goes from 3-6 years old and because of how simple the games are i doubt if she will keep it that long.

Games simple and cheaply made

We've owned this for over two years now and it just is not a toy that my kids enjoy very much. They have a few favorite games to play, but these are not the educational ones, which is odd for my kids. It requires an adult to set it up for the child since the TV has to be switched to "component" mode. My kids have the Toy Story, Bob the Builder and Animal Art Studio cartridges.

I invested in this expensive toy with the idea that I was buying it for my oldest and it would last through my youngest (a total of 4 years between them). However, I'm finding that the unit just does not hold up. About a year in, the mouse would freeze up after extended use. As we progress, the length of time before freeze up seems to be diminishing. I contacted Leapfrog regarding this issue via their website, but received just a standard FAQ response that did not fix the problem and did not give me a contact for further assistance.

I also dislike that Leapfrog seems to be putting more emphasis on newer lines and is not issuing new cartridges for this anymore. I don't like investing in something only to feel like they are trying to sell me a whole new unit to get the new character cartridges.

I do like that it is adjustable for my left-handed daughter.

LeapFrog

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

I bought this LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer for my son in hopes of him taking interest in learning letters, numbers, and so on. I assumed this would keep him entertained and it did the exact opposite. He wasn't entertained, and it wasn't worth my money. It's price is too high. I wouldn't purchase this again. Not worth it

Our kids love this product

from Marysville, WA

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

Our kids loved this computer. It is easy for them to start themselves. It plugs into a regular TV so there is no need for another computer. It has a variety of games that are for both sexes. My son and daughter played the same games so there were no favorites.

This is a perfect starter computer for kids

from Bay Saint Louis, MS

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

I have two boys ages 4 1/2 and 2 1/2.They are really happy with their clickstart.I am,too. It keeps my kids busy and off of my computer. It comes with three games built in and gives them a lot to do even without the extra games.The keyboard is a QWERTY and is supposed to help them to learn the keyboard. I guess they will soon enough. The only problem that we have had is that there is only one computer for two children.

A great learning tool!

from Bristol, TN

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

The leapfrog clickstart is intended to be your child's very own keyboard and mouse that you connect to the tv. It not only teaches your child keyboarding and mousing skills but the games also teach colors, shapes, letters and many more skills they need to know in school.

It includes four games preloaded on it although you will probley want to purchase more for more variety. One downside is that there's only 6 additional games for purchase which this could be because this product is relatively new, hopefully more new ones will come out soon! One awesome thing is that there are two levels, easy and more difficult. also as she continues to play one game succesfully it starts to challenge them a little more while still staying on the same level.

My daughter recieved this for her 3rd birthday and asks to play it daily but she has a short attention span so only plays less than 30 minutes at a time. The mouse pad used for the mouse attaches on either side of the keyboard but it seems a little small for little ones to navigate around on it so i have opted to put our computer mouse pad on the floor and let her use that instead.

Im definately glad i chose this educational toy and look forward to my daughter learning many new skills

my own leapfrog

from North East, PA

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

this is one of the best learning toys i have purchased for my grandson. he spends everyday with me and this is one toy we both enjoy. the my own leapfrog computer has taught him about email , animals,learning his letters and the sounds that they make. the leapfrog myown computer is also very durable, easy to wipe off, light to carry . Leapfrog web site makes it easy to join and easy to download from making this toy very personalized to my grandson he loves hearing it call him by his name .Leapfrog also has the name of the website on the bottom of the computer and so you dont have to look it up if you forget. The leapfrog my own computer is easy to take anywhere you go . Michael really loves all the animal sounds and he is learning what they look like . The buttons are very easy to push and stay very clean i just wipe them off once in a while. I can truly say it is a great investment for parents .

Games simple and cheaply made

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

I do like that it is adjustable for my left-handed daughter.

Okay for Younger Kids

from Marlton, NJ

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

**LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer is designed to be used as a kid's first computer.**  ClickStart™ My First computer introduces computer and preschool skills by turning any TV into a child's first computer.  Designed especially for young learners, ClickStart My First Computer provides a safe computer learning environment and features a wireless keyboard, plug-in console, mouse and detachable mousepad that can be adapted for right- or left-handed play.The problem: my 3 year old niece has been playing with our Iphones and laptops for a while now and this just can't compete. The mouse isn't as responsive as it should be which frustrates her and the graphics are just okay. Also connecting to the TV is annoying for us-we also have a Nintendo Wii and DVD player and have to unpug wires to use it. We didn't try to buy any new games for this system-we only used the games that came with the system. This might have helped but otherwise my niece used it 3 times and then never looked back at it.

Not exciting enough

from Oxford, MI

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

We've had the Clickstart Computer for a couple of years and my kids just don't find it very interesting or fun to play.  I think the games are meant for younger kids than will be able to use the mouse and keyboard.  By the time the kids are old enough to understand how to move the mouse across the small area, the games are too easy for them.  I will say that my youngest is playing with it a bit more than the older kids, however he has more mouse skills at 2.5 years old than either of the others did by far.  He can use it fairly successfully and enjoys the games.  By age 4, he will most certainly outgrown it completely.

I'd recommend this to someone who has kids with little or no access to a real computer so that they're learning the mouse and keyboard while they're learning the letters and numbers.  Kids who play on mom and dad's computer will find it too easy to use and boring to play.

Clickstart is my kids' first gaming system!

from Lambertville, MI

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

When my daughter was about to turn four, I found the ClickStart system at a substantial discount.  I also purchased the games that looked most interesting and had the characters she enjoyed on tv and in movies.  This has been an instant hit with her, and her twin brothers, who are now four.  The game graphics are not incredible, but I'd say "very good" quality for the money.  Kids between the ages of 3 and 6 will find many activities that teach how to move the computer mouse, navigate the up, down and sideways buttons, and it teaches letters and their proper placement on a standard computer keyboard.  The keyboard, several games and the main unit have been dropped a few times and still work fine, so it is somewhat durable.  At least one of the three kids plays it every day.  Overall, I am very satisfied, but there are a few drawbacks.  It eats up batteries pretty quickly, so I recommend getting rechargeables or the adapter for the main unit.  There is not adapter available for the keyboard, though.  You have to be sure the child is sitting back far enough, or the base unit and keyboard can't communicate.  I also wish there was a bigger selection of games out there for the 5-6 yr olds that taught some reading skills.  Other than that, I love the ClickStart!

Still Going Strong After 1 Year of Use

from Mount Airy, MD

Comments about LeapFrog Clickstart My First Computer:

We bought the Leap Frog Clickstart system for my daughter last Christmas because she wanted her own video game like her older sisters.  At first she had a hard time working the mouse and keyboard, but isn't that why we got it?  To teach her how to use those things.  Now, of course, she is a master of both and she still plays with her Clickstart every week.  She has advanced in the games to the most difficult levels, but she still enjoys playing them.  She has several including Cars and Dora.  She has learned how to use a computer (video game) as well as the mouse and keyboard.  I like this entire system because it was not too expensive and it taught her these things while being something that she can do independently.  I have recommended this to many friends with kids the same age and we all feel the same way about it.  My only wish for this system would be games that grow with the child because she is just about to outgrow the system so we will need to find something else for her.