Other Learning Toys:
Learning Toys, preschool educational toy
LeapFrog
LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics

LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics

A great toy for children learning to spell

The **Fridge Words Magnetic Word Builder** by **LeapFrog** is the perfect educational toy for children who are ready to move up from the [*LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set*.][1]

The recommended age range is from ages 3-6, which my children fall into, however my six-year old son prefers to write his letters on paper and only plays with this when he is helping his younger sister.  My daughter, age four, is the one who uses this the most and she really enjoys it.

The **Fridge Words Magnetic Word Builder **can build over 325 words (a printable list is available on the LeapFrog website), comes with 29 lowercase magnetic letters, and also includes batteries (woo hoo!).  The extra magnetic letters are included so that your child can spell such words as mom and dad, which require two of the same letters.  The vowels are color-coded red so that you can also teach your child vowel sounds.

There are three modes of play including Load a Letter, Word Building, and Word Play.  My daughter prefers to put various letters on the board and see if she makes a word.  With some help from my son and myself, she is able to make one word and then change letters to make a rhyming word or another variation of the word (ex. make dog into dig, cat into bat, etc.).

Like other *LeapFrog* magnetic fridge products, the **Fridge Words Magnetic Word Builder **pronounces each letter sound, plays cute songs and rhymes, and plays the entire alphabet song. If your kids are like mine and play the songs continuously, there are two volume control settings and the lower setting may provide a bit of relief to sensitive adult ears.

Knock on wood, we haven't had any issues with missing magnetic letters, which can be a problem with a toy that has many accompanying pieces.  I'm told that you can purchase extra magnetic letters at online auction websites, but I haven't looked myself.  I have not seen any for sale at the stores or on the *LeapFrog* website.

**My Viewpoint:**

The **LeapFrog Fridge Words Magnetic Word Builder **is a great educational toy for children who are learning to spell three-letter words.  It has proven to be a durable product since it's been dropped on the floor on quite a few occasions, and is also easy to clean.  It requires two AA batteries, which seem to last a long time.  My family has always been happy with all of the *LeapFrog* products and I definitely recommend this toy.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/LeapFrog-Fridge-Phonics-Magnetic-Letter-Set-review-7e206

More to lanuage than three letter words!

We added this small word whammer to our leapfrog letter system a bit ago, and although the kids find it fun, they quickly got bored of it.  The educational value of the letter sounds both long vowel and shot vowel is great.  The songs are catchy, but sometimes hard to understand the sounds that are close together, especially if batteries are starting to run low.  The magnets are strong and stick well, but I had to take them off the fridge as kids were always leaving them on the floor and they'd get stuff on the backs and then when the kids would slide them on the fridge it scratched the door.  The older two also got frustrated when they'd want to know how to spell a word and it was longer than 3 letters.  The magnets travel (we lost the first one the day we received it- I was able to order a replacement from Leap Frog though), and end up all over, so we now have them in a bin.  Some of the magents are showing yellowing of the plastic as well.

If you already have the small single letter holder, I would skip this purchase.

Great toddler toy, top of my list

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

My son received this for his 2nd birthday. At first I wasn't sure if he was ready for it, seeing as how he doesn't spell, and just barely recognizes the different letters. I was very surprised. Not only does he play with this every day (8 months later) but he uses it properly. It is probably his favorite toy. He still doesn't spell, but the toy tells him what letter to put in and he does it (sometimes he puts a different letter in). The toy uses positive reinforcement and really just keeps him entertained. I love it, he loves it, and it wasn't a fancy, expensive toy. I have 2 little ones on my gift giving list this holiday and they are both getting one. I know that they will love it just as my son does.

New toy, and the kids are intrigued

from Sylvania, OH

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

We just received this toy, and my kids are intrigued.  They are not playing with it by themselves yet, but the love to ask us to play with them.  I keep all the letters in a mesh bag and not on the fridge, because when my 1 year old wants to make a mess, she goes for the letters.  But my 2 1/2 year old thinks it's neat.  We had another set of letters from the phonics toy, so the first thing we did was make sure that you can't spell bad words, and you can't because it tells you to replace a letter.

Wonderful product!

from Hollywood, FL

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

I am a  Kindergarten teacher and use many of the Leap Frog products in my classroom. I love that they reinforce the skills that I teach. I not only purchase LeapFrog products for school but as gifts for family members and friends too. They are the best!

Educational and loads of Fun

from Apo, AE

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

I bought this for my 3 year old and five year old daughters. We had been practicing spelling three letter words and now we have this to help them sound it out as well. We store it on the fridge but take it into the living room so that we can be comfortable while we play. My youngest is so eager to learn so I am excited to see how many words she can spell within the next couple of weeks of us playing with this. I would recommend this to all parents with young kids.

Good Educational Fun

from O Fallon, MO

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

My son is a very self-motivated learner.  He loves Leap Frog toys and especially loves this one because he can experiment & learn unassisted.  I was able to buy it for a very good price and cannot have put my money in a better place.  My son is happy, so I am happy.

Another Awesome Leap Frog Toy

from Davison, MI

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

LeapFrog makes such great educational toys for children and the Word Whammer is no exception. We have an older stye Word Whammer than the one pictured here but it works essentially the same. There are different modes you can set it to, where you search for letters to make up a three-letter word, a muscial setting and a setting to search for individual letters. The LeapFrog Fridge Phonics items can definitely claim that they have helped my children to improve their knowledge of their ABCs. I love that when you input a letter, it gives you a little song to go with it...one that tells you the sound(s) that that particular letter makes. We have both the upppercase and lowercase set of letters which can be used interchangably on the set. My four year old daughter has been showing a lot of interest in learning letters and sounds, so we keep the Word Whammer an all the letters on the back of our entryway door. We have never had any problems with this toys and I don't think we've ever had to replace the batteries! Works great!

Annoying Word Whammer

from Janesville, WI

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

My daughter received this toy as a gift. I can't stand it. It is annoying, and I am constantly stepping on all the letters on the floor. And stepping on these letters when you don't see them hurts! The letters are easy to lose and then she can't spell the words that it asks her to. I wish it came with a storage bag, but we use a large ziploc freezer bag to store the extra letters in. Not that she cares when she loses them, though, because she never paid much attention to the toy anyway.

This toy has three levels for different ages. It would be nice if it had another level where a child could spell whatever they wanted or put any letter in any order and have it say the sound of the letters or the word. When it tells you to spell "pat" for example, it doesn't always sound very clear so sometimes it's hard to tell what it's saying and what it's asking you to spell.

I would not recommend this toy. Too many pieces.

Fun and Educational Toy for Children

from Shelbyville, IN

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

I bought this for my daughter when she was about 1 1/2 years old.  At first, she didn't pay much attention to it, as it is made for children closer to two and three years old, but as she got older, she began to pay more and more attention to it.  She is now 2 1/2 and enjoys putting the letters in the word whammer and listening to their sounds.  I especially enjoy the fact that this toy will last for a few years without being outgrown, because once she knows the letters, she can work on sounds, and then finally she can begin making words.

The word whammer comes with 29 lower-case letters (1 extra e, 1 extra d, and 1 extra m).  It has different volume levels, which can be helpful for mom and dad, however, it seems that every time I turn it down, little hands seem to always turn it back up.  It also seems to go through batteries quickly.  It seems that I am changing batteries in this toy more often than others.

In all, I believe that the LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics toy is worth the money and that it is very educational and fun.

The word whammer has been really fun!

from 836468378

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

The LeapFrog word Whammer Fridge Phonics has been a great addition to our household. Our kids can really have fun building words with it, albeit three letter words... But still! This set also includs and extra D and an extra M so that kids can spell M-O-M and D-A-D, which I think is a nice touch! There is a button on the device that can be pushed that sings the ABC song for the kids. My little ones really enjoyed that button! There are three modes on the device. The one that just says the name of all the letters when they put them in the magnetic spots. Then there is the mode that tells them what word to spell and says the name of the letters when they push on the individual spots. My kids especially love to take the magnets off the whammer and have them all over the front of the refrigerator. They love trying to challenge themselves to spell longer words than just three letter words. Overall, a great product!

Leapfrog Word whammer Fridge phonics is very educational!

from Pottstown, PA

Comments about LeapFrog Word Whammer Fridge Phonics:

This leapfrog word whammer fridge phonics is a wonderful toy for toddlers and preschoolers.I remember my daughter falling in love with as soon as we opened it even though she didn't understand its function.With time she got to identify the letters of the alphabeth.Also has great songs.It really keeps her interest for a long time while I cook.The idea behind this is good since her attention is somewhere else while I cook.

It is a great educational toy.It teaches kids how to spell three letter words.The first time she spelt "Mom" she was super excited that she could spell mom.It taught her how  to identify upper case and lower case as well.I  really saw quite some progress with her usage of this toy.Another neat thing about this toy is that you take it wherever and still have fun with it.For example my daughter used to take it with her on road trips.

The problem I have with this toy is that  not all the letters came with replacement so when we lost some letters she couldn't effectively play with it.