Other Learning Toys:

LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal

Pros

Cons

LeapFrog's Violet Gets Smiles from Parents and Kids

Leapfrog's My Puppy Pal Violet gets smiles from Moms, Dads, and kids. Violet is a "smart" toy - customisable to your child and follows the Leapfrog learning path which enables you to follow your child's learning online and offers helpful educational hints and tips for playing with your child.

Once programmed with the simple to load plug and play software, Violet will use your child's name, favorite color, favorite animal, and favorite food in songs and speech.

Violet has a different sound option on each paw: sleep, play, sing, and off. The sleep option plays "bedtime" music, and you can change the selection from a list online if desired. The sing option plays a list of custamizable songs as well as a few stock songs that use your child's information. Our favorite is, "I'd like a (cat) please, it's my favorite animal, I'd like it to be (green) please, it's my favorite color..." which ends with "and I'll call it (child's name), just like you." My little one loves this song and we have saved many a breakdown by Violet's intervention!

The play option has many features, asking the child to guess animals by sound, make a silly face, or simply saying, "I love you, (child's name)."

With two volume levels (and an off option) it's ok for home or on the go and quiet enough to entertain you little one without annoying anyone else.

Violet is a great investment that is a hit with all the Moms, Dads, and little ones I know.

Scout, You Need to Talk and Sing Longer!

so, thankfully we didn't have to "scout" out this gift...as it was given to us by my parents. i'm not big into stuffed animals, but this little guy was cute. my son, who's 17 months old, loves the blue collar that lights up when Scout talks or sings. the trouble with it is that the buttons are hard for a young kid to squeeze...i'm sure that skill will come soon, but for a boy who loves to push buttons and get reactions, this was not an easy toy to maneuver. it would be neat if the collar was pushable, since my son keeps trying to push on it.

haven't downloaded the website info to have Scout address my son by name, but since my son has an odd name, it may not even work. i like the 2 minutes of bedtime music, but wish it lasted longer. my son doesn't need music to get to bed, but the two minutes sure does fly by fast! the other songs and interactive sounds are cute, but not enough variety. i wouldn't exactly consider them "educational" either.

My son's best friend

from Saint Paul, MN

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

*I bought this for my son as a little friend and his first toy. I had noclue what this thing was really capable of. It talks, sings, and it's bone on it's neck lights up blue. AWESOME!! it only takes about ten minutes to program. You personalize it with your child's name, favorite food, color, etc. You also get a variety of songs which you have the ability to change at your leisure. It is also very affordable. The only thing I don't like about this, is you cant wash it :( I have somehowmanaged to keep it clean..and this thing goes everywhere with my son who is now 1 and mobile. Definately an awesome thing. *

Scout My Puppy Pal is AGELESS!

from Fayetteville, NC

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

My daughter actually recieved Violet My Puppy Pal for her first birthday. She'll be three in October, and she still loves Violet. It's awesome that her Pal can adapt to her changes as well with different songs, words, and terms. I've purchased this for other friends, and they too have a new love for talking pups.

Love at first sight

from Mount Pleasant, SC

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

Scout is great and he is my son 11 months, new best friend! Was between the acquisition scouts or Fisher Price puppy and compared both classified in the store. Fisher Price points smaller body parts, but the songs are very short. Scott was incredibly soft to touch and when I applied individually, we were surprised by the amount of songs to choose from. You can enter up to five songs at a time and can change at any time. It's fun to hear him say the name of our son. Our son has an unusual name for what was cautious after reading some comments that are not registered Scout ... But it is, and he was right for my son only lights up when he learns that his name is Scout! However, I am very satisfied with my choice and select Scout back in a heartbeat. A wonderful toy!

awesomevioler

from Morgantown, WV

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

we Have violet the female version of this. We got it for my 5 month old daughter for christmas she is now 8 months and she loves this thing and never puts it down! It is awesome for parents as well because it will recongize progress of your child it have an interactive cd for the computer and it updates your childs progress while they enjoy playing with their pal. You can upload their names and favorite foods and colors. It teaches them songs and numbers colors. The dog also goes " I LOVE YOU (and your childs name)" it was amazing i can't believe it. I love this dog as much as my daughter does and that is probably the worse part. We plug it into the computer and she has a load of fun interactivly and she is only 8 months old!

Scout is a wonderful toy.

from Cleveland, TN

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

Our two year old son received his scout as a christmas gift from is grandmother. He loved it from the moment he opened it. We took the time to customize it the night before so it was all ready to go when he opened it. He was so excited that scout said his name and knew his favorite color,food and animal. He played with it all day long. Two months later he still loves it. He as already learned to sing many of the songs scout sings and knows all the sounds the animals make. This is not only an entertaining toy but a great educational toy as well. I also love how soft he is because my son loves to sleep with him. Scout is really easy to program and had tons of choices. Our little guy has an unusual name and we were afraid it would not be on the list but it was, thay had thousands of names to choose from. This is a great toy of any young child.

Cute toy

from Rego Park, NY

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

I got this toy for my son because you can input your child's name and the puppy will say and spell his name, which I thought was very cool due to the personalization. The songs are cute and there is an option to change the songs they have available on the site. It would have been cooler if you were able to upload your own songs, and if it could hold more songs. There is a sleep function that plays the song for the alloted number of minutes depending on how many times you press the button on the foot of the puppy, but the slightest touch at any of the buttons will change the mode and stop the music. So this is not good for if the child is holding the puppy to sleep. There is also a light on his collar that will blink very brightly in the dark, which distracts the child from sleeping when the music plays. But overall, it's a nice toy, although my son got bored of it pretty quickly.

A Fun Learning Pal

from Beatrice, NE

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

My son loves his Scout! He's had it for about a year now and he still hasn't tired of it. It's soft and durable. It is still in perfect condition after being pulled around by him for so long. He really loves to hear Scout say his name. It makes him face light up.

It's OK

from Lancaster, OH

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

My husband picked up Scout for my son's first Christmas. My son was about 11 months at the time. I really had high hopes for Scout. I thought the personalization was a great idea and really cute. I thought my son would really enjoy interacting with Scout, but that's far from the case. The only thing my son likes to do with Scout is open up the Velcro in the back of him. He really doesn't play much with Scout. I'm hoping that as my son gets older he'll grow more fond of him. I feel that for the price though, it's a good value for what you get. The songs are cute and Scout's sayings are adorable. I think the night time feature is a good idea, although I don't think it would ever work for my son. Overall, I think the toy is cute, but I don't agree with the age range on the toy. I think that 6 months is a little young for this toy.

Scout is fun for kids, not so much for me

from Edgerton, WI

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

My son got this for Christmas and although he loves it (it is a neat toy), I am starting to loathe Scout. He really does have great potential, but since I dont update him as often as I should, Scout gets put by the wayside every so often.

If I could improve Scout, I would make the USB cord longer, his speech better, and make the music more lively and less like dentist office/elevator music.

The customization process was straight forward (didnt even have to read the directions) and we had him done relatively quick. While you do need to use the internet to customize him, it is not required for kids to enjoy this toy. Scout also has volume control on his battery box and is not obnoxiously loud even on his highest volume (thank goodness!) The Scout is very, very soft and even with the battery box in his trunk, the puppy's body is soft and cuddly. My son spends a lot of his play time with Scout hugging him and petting him (especially when I havent updated Scout in a while). Overall, Scout is a fun toy, but parents need to put some effort into it as well

Cute toy to grow with

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about LeapFrog Scout My Puppy Pal:

I bought this toy for my son for Christmas. He seemed to love it when I showed it to him in the store so I thought this would be the perfect gift for him. I love that you can program him to play the songs of your choice and that you can change them out to keep a variety going on. I like how Scout is personalized to your child's name and likes. This helps the child relate to the toy better. Unfotunately Scout has not been as big a hit as he originally was but I believe he will grow into him as my son gets older. This toy has a lot to offer a young child and has the tools to keep a kid interested. Scout is still a favorite of mine and I do not regret getting this toy for my child. I would definitly recommend getting this toy for any young child as all my kids have toys with the same concept and they all enjoy them. Leapfrog has a way with keeping kids interested and helping them learn the basics.