Other Learning Toys:

LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table

Pros

Cons

LeapFrog's Learn&Groove Music Table is always played with first

This table has taken a center spotlight in the house, and is the first stop of the day, every day by the little 18 month old in the house. This table has been around ever since he was born, and he still plays with it all the time. When guests come over, he makes sure to show them all the table can do. I would prefer it if the table was a little less electronic so it would foster more use of the imagination, but considering all of the other electronic toys out there for little guys, this is an excellent choice by comparison.

One thing about this table that can get annoying is the fact that unless we make a point of flipping the "off" switch whenever junior goes to bed, then the table will start making music at the slightest vibration of the floor. This can be especially annoying when it is three in the morning and people are trying to sleep. Turning it off stops that problem, of course, but we usually forget that it is turned off until the little guy is throwing a fit at the fact that his favorite toy is not making any noise.

The little guy and I are able to play on this together every day, which is again, better than most electronic toys out there. When it sings the ABC song, I point to the letters printed on the board. After about a week of that, the little guy has started pointing to the letters himself. He is still a little young to be singing ABCs himself, but he is at least starting to understand that the song connects to the strange symbols on the board.

Another thing that slightly concerns me is the fact that the little guy of the house is not quite up to the level the board is playing at, and he is already starting to get a bit too tall for it. He seems to enjoy this table so much, so it would be quite a pity to see him struggle to play with it before he even understands everything the table is doing. I would prefer it if the legs were adjustable so that the table could actually grow with the baby, rather than forcing him to stand when he is small, and sit as he grows bigger.

I also would not recommend getting this table if you are pushed for space. The legs of the table are absolutely rigid, so it has to be stored as is, which means it is usually easiest to always keep the table up and ready for play. Thankfully, we have plenty of space in this house, but I know from growing up in a tiny apartment that sometimes you need toys to fold up for easy storage. It also means that since the table is always set up to be played with, be prepared for an influx of sound from the new toy. The table really is not as much fun without the sound, and definitely not as educational. Yes, buttons still push and spinners still spin, but there are plenty of things around that can do just as much and are just as interesting, so your toddler might not be very interested in the table unless the sound is working.

On the plus side, it seems to take forever for the batteries to die while plugged into this table. Like I mentioned earlier, we hardly ever turn the table off because it is more convenient with junior, but the batteries are taking forever to die. I was certain as soon as I saw that table that we were going to be making runs to the store for batteries at least every couple weeks. But, lo and behold, I can not even remember the last time the batteries were replaced on this table.

Yes, the table is also bilingual. I have not ever really used that feature of the table, so I ca not personally say much about it. The baby has already learned some sign language from his grandma, and there are some Spanish books around, but do not honestly believe the table would do much in the way of teaching junior Spanish, since he is not really learning English from it as it is. However, it does seem to be pretty helpful in the way of music. There have been plenty of times where I walked into the room to see the little tyke bobbing to the music of the table. One time, he even heard some music from the computer, and he started jamming out a beat to go along with it while he danced. He also sings along when his auntie plays on her violin, so he seems to be learning about music at a pretty decent rate, and I would not be surprised if the table had something to do with it.

One way or another, the table seems to be pretty good quality, which I have come to expect from Leap Frog. It does have some quirks that make it not necessarily the best toy out there, but it's a lot better than most toys out there. Leap Frog usually tries pretty hard to make their toys worthwhile, and I also grew up on Leap Frog toys when I was little. However, if you want the toys in your house to foster imagination, I would suggest either buying non electronic toys or making your own toys. Still, for electronic toys, Leap Frog makes a good choice.

Learn & Groove Table needs removable legs

My son received this table for Christmas a few years ago after we had heard reviews that it was a good buy. This table plays music and says a few words depending on what buttons baby pushes. He seemed to like it ok, but it was never his favorite toy. My son started using this as a baby, before he could stand on his own. It was nice that the legs were not attached, so he could play with it on his own, on the floor. When he was older and was able to stand while holding things, we attached the legs and let him play with it that way. We have an older version of the Learn and Groove Table, so the legs detach. But my friend bought a newer model and discovered that once you attach the legs, they don't come off! I'm so glad we have the older model so we can remove the legs for easier storage and for use with our future babies. I don't know what Leap Frog was thinking when they made the legs this way, but it is a huge disadvantage. The table itself is kind of big, so it's hard enough to store without the legs. If I were looking for another table for my son, I would definitely make sure it had detachable legs. You might be able to find one at a thrift store.

Great introduction to music for your growing toddler.

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

This music table is a lot of fun for your baby or toddler. It has lots of different features.

First the legs are easy to take on and off. So your baby can use it sitting. And when they learn to stand you can pop the legs back on!
This music table has 2 separate modes. Learning. And "Grooving". You switch moods with a little book flap. Which my son had a lot of fun just turning the page since it plays a tune each time.

During the Learning time the buttons will sing what they are. If you push the red piano key it sings "red". There is a corner of shapes that will sing what they are and the color. The rattle sings the alphabet and the sax counts to 10. The xylophone and the guitar don't do much in the mode. There is also a secret compartment that when you open says "Open!" and when you close it says "Close!"

There is also the groove mode which all the buttons play a fun jazzy tune. My son has fun playing the piano and dancing around. All in all this is a great toy for the little music lover in your life. Great from ages 6 months to 2 years. The colors are on this are also neutral and not too bright.

Really bad quality

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

I was having high expectation with this product, as this comes from the leapfrog brand.But this one has really disappointed me. My kid was able to play with it only for few days.then suddenly it stopped working. There were no sounds coming from it, only the lights were blinking. I would expect much better build quality from these expensive toys, as the kids are the ones who will be playing with it. I certainly wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Great for a Growing Infant to Toddler

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

This activity table was the best purchase I have made thus far for my son. He was born 2 months early so we are having to really focus on interacting with him and other toys. This table lights up, sings, and talks in English (as well as Spanish). It was very easy to capture his attention. There are multiple activity toys on the table top. It also taught him how to turn "handles", move turn styles plus many other fine motor skills. I was totally tell any parent to purchase this toy for their growing child.

GREAT toy for long lasting fun!

from Joliet, IL

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

We got this toy for my son when he was 5 months old. He is now 16 months and still plays with it everyday. My daughter who is 4 also plays with it all the time. When he was smaller we just took the legs off so he could play with it on the floor. As he started to pull himself up we put the legs back on and it was a great tool for beginning cruising and standing.

Learn & Groove Table is daughter's favorite toy!

from Milwaukee, WI

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

My daughter received this toy for Christmas when she was 8 months old and it remains as her favorite toy. I finally had to change the batteries this week after having it for 3 months and it is the most used toy. She was so excited when it worked again that she started kissing it! I LOVE that it is bilingual, we always have it on spanish. She loves to play all the songs and dance. She has recently started pushing it around the house to bring it wherever we are. It has so many different options that she never gets sick of it. It cleans up really easily and is pretty sturdy. It also encouraged her to pull herself up quicker. This is by far the best investment we made as far as her toys. I would HIGHLY recommend it to others.

Used It For Years

from Jacksonville, FL

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

This LeapFrog Musical Table has been in our home for about four years and been introduced to our two kids. They both love it, but they do go through phases when it is not quite as exciting. I do find that they will always go to it and play with it but with less enthusiasm unless it has been out of circulation for a little while. We have gotten great value out of it. Our kids are 5 years old and 21 months old. This table is especially great just after babies have learned to stand up. Just be sure to put it up against a wall so they don't push it all over the house -- unless you want them to.

LOVE this LeapFrog Music Table

from Middletown, DE

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

This music table is probably the most valuable item we received from our baby shower. My daughter who is now almost 3 still plays with this table almost daily. She started playing with it around 6 months of age because the legs come off and she could easily sit in front of it. By about 9 months, it became her favorite toy because not only is it entertaining, but it is also the perfect height and sturdy enough to support children when they start to pull up onto things. She loved standing at this table. I now recommend this toy to everyone I know who is having a child, and also have purchased quite a few as gifts. Now as a 2 1/2 year old, she puts her little chair in front of it and plays it. She also enjoys dancing and singing the songs. Although the table is only musical, she knows the words to ABC's etc and sings along. I highly recommend this product. We have only had to replace the batteries once in 2 1/2 years and we rarely turn it off. LeapFrog definitely got it right with this toy!

Very entertaining toy for son and father

from Pickerington, OH

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

My 8 month old boy really likes this toy. My son got this for christmas from his grandma and grandpa and has had a wonderful time playing with it. I have sat for hours with him leaning up to it mesmerized by the music and flashing lights. I have even found myself pushing and slidding all the little parts to see what they do.

Even though you can leave the legs off and use it sitting on the floor, I prefer to allow my son to lean, (guarded of course), up against it to help him learn to stand. Other toys I have done this with only kept his attention for a few minutes before he was wanting to sit down. Not with this toy. He is willing to stand for much longer periods of time and stays busy the whole time.

I really like the quality and construction of all of the leapfrog toys my little boy has had. This table is well made from a nice solid plastic and the legs snap in securly and do not wobble. I highly recommend this toy for both the kids and the parents.

love this little table by LeapFrog

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

Leap Frog's Learn and Groove Musical Table is a really great invention. It lets them learn cause and effect and also learn different musical sounds paired with instruments. I love that Leap Frog toys have musical as well as educational settings just like Fisher Price. It makes learning really fun. It does the numbers and the alphabet. The character illustrations are really cute and the colors are nice and bright. We have the girl-geared one that is all pink, then there's also the one more for boys that is blue and red. The batteries last pretty well even with every day play. It can transition from sitters to cruisers to walkers as the legs are detachable, but also very sturdy. It's nice that the music does not tend to get annoying, and mom and dad both have maybe as much fun playing with it as our daughter does. :) Leap Frog is one of the leaders in educational children's toys and they certainly did not disappoint in creating this toy.

musical table is fun, not too obnoxious

from Panama City, FL

Comments about LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table:

I got the LeapFrog Learn and Groove Musical Table after reading a ton of positive reviews about it. It is great in that it can be used for a long time. My son started using it before he was crawling - you can take the legs off and just lay it on the ground. Then when he got to standing and cruising stage, we put the legs on and he regularly walks over to the table and plays with it. It is bilingual, which is a nice feature, and plays a variety of songs that aren't too annoying. I like that it teaches my son a few things, like colors, shapes, up/down, open/closed, etc. It is more educational that the standard toy. However, now that he has had it for a while, he doesn't play with it much anymore and there isn't as much for a 16 month old kid to do with it. It is great for the 6-12month range though (or for older babies who don't have one at home and aren't sick of it yet) and I recommend it for that age.