Other Cookwares:
Le Creuset Cookware

Le Creuset Cookware

• Reviewer Profile:
    • Avid cook (3)

Le Creuset pots - mine are still terrific after 25 years.

My Granny asked what I'd like for Christmas when I was in college, and I told her that I'd like a Le Creuset set that was on sale in one of her many catalogs. That was probably the most sensible thing I did at that age, but we won't talk about some of my other choices.

This is 25 years later, and my pots are still wonderful. They are great for cooking, and they look beautiful even with a lot of age on them.

The Le Creuset line is cast iron covered with enamel. The cast iron means even cooking. It absorbs the heat and holds it. It does take a little longer to heat up than other metals, but it's spot on. The enamel makes it easier to care for and clean the pots. Cast iron has to be seasoned if it's not coated. Enamel is pretty much stick proof, but it doesn't flake like other coatings.

It is possible to chip enamel. I have a couple of tiny little chips in the edge of my largest pot which I use the most. The blemishes are minor. I rub just a tiny bit of Crisco on there to prevent any rusting.

Le Creuset carries a whole range of different pots and pans plus baking dishes. I have the soup pot, steamer, small skillet and saute pan and lids. This was a set back in the early 1980s. It was much cheaper to buy a set rather than individual pieces.

One of the newest additions to the collection is a wok with a glass lid. It looks great, but I don't do much wok cooking. I do wish they'd come out with a frying pan with a glass lid. The frying pans currently have cast iron lids, and I like to look in the frying pan while things are cooking.

The colors change every year. Sometimes the old colors come back, but there's no guarantee. If you're real keen on a certain color, try to get all the pieces you want during that year. Mine are hunter green, and I love them. Right now, the closest I could get to that color would be a lime color or some blueish shades. Of course, I could go with a complimentary color like red. Hum. I guess that would be a Christmas look. Anyway, I'm keeping an eye out for hunter to come back and may pick up a few more pots and pans.

One of my friends at work knew I write a lot about food/cooking and asked me this week what I thought of Le Creuset. She said those had always been her dream pans. I told her that I'd definately go for it. Though the pieces are expensive, they last forever. The only pots/pans I've never had to replace are the old fashioned cast iron pans and the Le Creusets. When you're talking 25 or more years, then that's a solid investment.

Disappointing...

I received several Le Creuset skillets and bakeware for my bridal shower and wedding this year. I was so exciting to receive them because I heard they were of a high quality (and very expensive) brand. After 1 month of using them, they have terrible scratches and chips in the paint on the bottom and sides, especially of the skillet. I am so angry that the people who cared for me spent so much money on Le Creuset cookware when they are obviously not the high quality pieces we thought they were. Now I'm stuck with a set of expensive cookware that I don't want!

i would not buy this produce again….

from canada

• Simple Meals

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

Warranty sucks……..they advertise that the stockpots are resistant to wear and damage..I used it 5 times before the enamel began to flake off… they would not answer my calls or emails…. forget about the Warranty… buy stainless steel instead of LeCreuset cookware..

Poor service on warranty claim

from Atlanta, GA

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Retains Heat

Cons

• Finish didn't last

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

We have had a full set of Le Creuset cookware for 15+ years and have only once before had to make a claim against their lifetime warranty for an issue with the enamel finish. In that era of their cookware, the lids to the saucepans were actually little skillets, very useful beyond just being a cover. This time, when we sent back in a small saucepan that began to rust, they told me that they couldn't replace the pan without the lid. The lid is useful and does not have any issues but, of course, this is now their "policy". Way to make the customer happy and impose some absurd "policy" that subtracts even more value from ownership of your product. Bad enough that I have to return something that's supposed to last a lifetime, now there's an additional inconvenience.

Not honoring warranty

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

We like the general product line but were disappointed with a set of sauce pans with an interior non stick finish that broke down over several years. Despite their claims of a lifetime warranty they are unwilling to replace what is clearly defective finish.

Worth the money

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

I bought a Le Creuset dutch oven a couple of years ago and it is probably one of my favorite cookeware / bakeware items and one of the most expensive as well. It is pretty pricey, but if you love to cook and you like to have pretty things in your kitchen (like I do), it's worth the investment. If you take good care of it and don't damage the enamel (overheating will do it!), it will last you a lifetime. One of the downsides is its weight. It's heavy enough when it's empty, so it might be difficult to use if you have joint problems, for example.

I love that it comes in many colors and I can match it to the other gadgets and items in my kitchen.

You can use it for many foods. Some of my favorites are: pot roast, beef bourguignon, goulash, sauerkraut and smoked meat, Eastern European cabbage rolls, mulled wine, homemade preserve, homemade bread and many others. I call it my "travel around the world pot" because I have cooked recipes from many countries in it. I have more Creuset items on my wish list and as soon as I purchase them, I have a feeling the other pots and pans will have to retire. They are not only good quality, but they almost make cooking more fun and they are even nice to place on the table when you have guests.

Love their dutch oven.

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

The Le Creuset dutch oven is amazing. Although it is expensive, it is in my opinion a worthwhile investment if you like to cook. It makes great stews that cooks evenly and doesn't stick. The heat distribution is great and you can cook your stews evenly and slowly. It is a bit heavy as expected so keep that in mind if you have trouble lifting heavy objects. I use it about once a week and it has already lasted many years, yet still looks and works just as well as the first day I bought it. It is easy to clean like I said earlier because the food doesn't really stick to it. The design is great and the colors that they offer are beautiful. They really stand out in the kitchen and is pleasing to the eye. It is extremely durable cookware that I would recommend. If you are unsure about the price, there are other brands that offer similar results, but the quality of Le Creuset is better. If you like cooking, it will be well worth it to purchase a high quality dutch oven from a reliable brand. It is one of my favorites to use.

Amazing quality

from Davis, CA

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

I purchased this brand because of its reputation. Also, due to a health issue, my husband must restrict his iron intake. Believe it or not, cooking with cast iron--which I love to do--can leech iron into your food. The coating on this cookware seals the iron in and doesn't allow it to interact with the food.

Doesn't Stick
        Nothing sticks on this cookware! One of my favorite dishes to cook is risotto. Rice typically sticks on most pots. Not on these. I just run cold water in the pot and wipe it clean before I wash it.

Heat Distribution
        These pots and pans cook very evenly. I don't find any hot spots no matter how I use them--on top of the stove or in the oven.

Ease of Handling
        The only issue is the weight of the pots. They tend to be very heavy, which makes it a bit difficult to wash. However, that is also the reason these pots cook so well. I wouldn't want it any other way.

They are so easy to clean as nothing sticks.

These pans are beautiful! I love the red ones.

Most of my pans/pots lasted nearly 20 years. These are tough!

Extremely durable!

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

I purchase the Le Creuset Forged Hard-Anodized 8-Inch Nonstick Shallow Fry Pan over 2 years ago and it's still my go to skillet for quick meals. I use this pan to cook lean beef, egg whites, and turkey bacon at least 3 times a week. This pan heats up evenly and it's truly a nonstick skillet. My egg whites are always easy to flip and stay perfectly in tact during the entire cooking process. The only major downside to this pan is that it doesn't have much depth. The lack of depth and the nonstick coating can make for an interesting cooking experience. I have on several occasions spilled extra virgin oil out of the pan when I was swishing it around during preparation. I also have lost a couple of eggs during the flipping process due too its nonstick coating and depth. The best thing about this Le Creuset Frying Pan is that it's extremely durable. This pan looks and performs just as well as the first time I used it after several years.

• Ease of Handling:

Excellent cookware, love these for baking.

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

I was given some Le Creuset cookware for Christmas one year by my mother. The whole purpose was to get away from the questionable components in non-stick cookware. In the end it did not exactly work. I really like this inside the oven. They make the perfect roast, cooking everything evenly. They leave and excellent brown layer on everything I bake, and come perfectly clean every, single, time. Le Creuset did not replace my pots and pans however. They take a really long time to heat up, and boiling anything takes six times longer, even if I use the lid and the highest heat setting. I do sometimes start something on top of the oven, and finish it off inside, and these pans are perfect for that. No dirtying a second pan, or over heating some questionable chemicals into my dinner. Overall I would recommend these to anyone, especially those with patience on the stovetop!

A great investment

from Midland, MI

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

I spent years buying cheap pans from department stores, only to have to repurchase every couple years when they wore out. I got smart and began saving my money and was able to purchase several Le Creuset pieces and I am so glad I made the investment. They're beautiful, functional and will last a lifetime.

Ease of Handling
        These pots and pans are heavy, so if you get a very large one it will be hard to lift, wash etc. The handles, lids and all parts of the pots and pans also get very hot, so use care in handling them when cooking.

While these aren't non-stick, they are relatively easy to clean. Occasionally I will have to soak one overnight, but usually just a bit of elbow grease is all I need to take care of even the messiest pans.

While these are a little hard to handle, their design more than makes up for it. These heat very evenly and are my go to pots for making everything from jam and candy to soup. You can put the entire pot into the oven without having to worry about melting parts. They also do not rust, so you have the benefit of cast iron without the maintenance.

PIck a color you love, because you'll have these pots forever. I have one pot that was my uncles from years ago and it's still in great shape.

very good products

from Ellerslie GA

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

I have previously and in the past purchased and have used and still own and use Le Creuset Cookware and I still love it just as much today as the first time I purchased it. The first thing that drew me to the Le Creuset line of cookware is the bright and original colors. I am not a bland person and therefore I like very lively and bright colors in all things in my house. The second thing is that they are truly non stick. I have been using mine for years and they still are non stick nothing ever sticks to them. The third thing I love about my Le Creuset Cookware is how easy it is to clean. I never put them in microwave which may have contributed to them lasting longer. Just a quick swipe with a sponge and some soap and wa la they are cleaned. You do not use any elbow grease cleaning these amazing pots and pans. They are a bit pricey but they will last for many many years and remain like new. I would certainly recommend all of my friends and family try these Le Creuset Cookware. You will love them, I know I do.