Other Cookwares:
Casserole Pan, Pots
Le Creuset
Le Creuset Cookware

Le Creuset Cookware

Pros

• Retains heat (4)

• Doesn't Stick:
    • Heat Distribution:
    • Ease of Handling:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Avid cook (7)

Le Creuset pots - mine are still terrific after 25 years.

My Granny asked what I'd like for Christmas when I was in college, and I told her that I'd like a Le Creuset set that was on sale in one of her many catalogs. That was probably the most sensible thing I did at that age, but we won't talk about some of my other choices.

This is 25 years later, and my pots are still wonderful. They are great for cooking, and they look beautiful even with a lot of age on them.

The Le Creuset line is cast iron covered with enamel. The cast iron means even cooking. It absorbs the heat and holds it. It does take a little longer to heat up than other metals, but it's spot on. The enamel makes it easier to care for and clean the pots. Cast iron has to be seasoned if it's not coated. Enamel is pretty much stick proof, but it doesn't flake like other coatings.

It is possible to chip enamel. I have a couple of tiny little chips in the edge of my largest pot which I use the most. The blemishes are minor. I rub just a tiny bit of Crisco on there to prevent any rusting.

Le Creuset carries a whole range of different pots and pans plus baking dishes. I have the soup pot, steamer, small skillet and saute pan and lids. This was a set back in the early 1980s. It was much cheaper to buy a set rather than individual pieces.

One of the newest additions to the collection is a wok with a glass lid. It looks great, but I don't do much wok cooking. I do wish they'd come out with a frying pan with a glass lid. The frying pans currently have cast iron lids, and I like to look in the frying pan while things are cooking.

The colors change every year. Sometimes the old colors come back, but there's no guarantee. If you're real keen on a certain color, try to get all the pieces you want during that year. Mine are hunter green, and I love them. Right now, the closest I could get to that color would be a lime color or some blueish shades. Of course, I could go with a complimentary color like red. Hum. I guess that would be a Christmas look. Anyway, I'm keeping an eye out for hunter to come back and may pick up a few more pots and pans.

One of my friends at work knew I write a lot about food/cooking and asked me this week what I thought of Le Creuset. She said those had always been her dream pans. I told her that I'd definately go for it. Though the pieces are expensive, they last forever. The only pots/pans I've never had to replace are the old fashioned cast iron pans and the Le Creusets. When you're talking 25 or more years, then that's a solid investment.

Le Creuset Cookware - not a fan

My family is very quality conscious, so we did our research and bought a whole set of Le Creuset cookware. Few years later, and they are sitting in drawers, mostly unused. The women in my family are petite, so lifting these heavy cast iron pots and pans is actually quite a challenge. The men can't really cook so the point is moot.

Besides the weight, we all really hate that the handle heats up. What is the point of a pan with a handle when you can't even touch it? It should really be insulated.

We probably take bad care of our cookware, but for us, food burns easily in these pots. The bottoms of all of them are very charred and you can barely see the original orange.

If you like low maintenance cookware, these are not for you. Each meal is a struggle. There is an extensive cleaning and care process that I simply can't be bothered with.

The bottom line - I cannot dispute the quality of this cookware, but I can dispute the practicality. I would recommend them only to friends who are serious about cooking. Think twice!

I prefer Staub!!

from Coeur d'Alene, ID

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Distributes Heat Evenly
  • Durable
  • Extremely hard to clean! When enamel wears off
  • Retains Heat

Cons

• Scratches Easily
  • Tough To Clean

• Dutch oven cooking!!
  • Elaborate Meals

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

I started out with Le Creuset. These made me very happy and proud since I saved up and looked forward to them. Great at first, enamel wears and not nearly as nice! Everything sticks! I would love to replace enamel! Kind of gave up and switched to old cast iron. Saw Staub on sale, so I talked myself into trying again. Very happy, easy to clean and no issues with enamel wearing off! Thank you Staub!!

Lies about product warranties

from Mexico city

About Me Gourmet Chef

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

I understood these to have lifetime guarantee. I have many creuset pots that have been purchasing over the years. Never again. I have two that began to chip away at the enamel after approximately 5-7 years. I was told by the store at time of purchase it had lifetime warranty and would be replaced with new one if it wasnt caused by consumer negligence, which is was not.
So now i receive notice that they will NOT assume responsibility in that it is not a defect that was noticed on its first use!!!
This is outrageous!
I am furious; they wrote the same exact thing on each of the two pots that I sent to them.
I will make complaints on every site and never purchase another creuset pot ever ( in fact i just did purchase a large casserole and unfortunately it not returnable but that is the last i will purchase.
So BEWARE of their false advertising promises for lufetime warranty because it simply is a huge LIE.

After Many Years, Time for A Change

from Sequim, WA

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Heats Quickly
  • Nice design and color selections.
  • Retains Heat

Cons

• Handle Gets Hot
  • Heavy / Bulky
  • Interior coating can chip if food burns.
  • Interior discolors

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

I have had many pieces of Le Creuset over the years - love the vibrant colors but am finally switching brands. In my experience, it starts off pretty hardy but it does not wear well over time.

Specifically:

The interior enamel discolors easily from normal use and cleaning.

I had the exterior enamel on one pan chip a bit on the rim - not sure how - but I have never dropped it.

The cookware is heavy.

And heaven forbid you burn anything in one of these pans...Mercifully, I don't often cook via smoke alarm but last night I was steaming an artichoke and burned my saucepan. As a result, two pieces of the coating chipped out. Pan is ruined.

While no cookware could withstand folks burning things right and left, Le Creuset really falls apart when this happens and sooner or later, most cooks burn something. Even old fashioned Corningware does far better in this situation.

Especially for the price we pay for this cookware, it should hold up better.

Customer service non-existant

from Juneau, ALaska

About Me Casual Cook

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

Lifetime guarantee is just a come-on. I have tried customer service and after being on hold 5 min an automatic message comes on to leave name and phone # and they'll call back. They do not (tried 3X). Email message also has not been answered. i.e.NO customer service.

Non-existent warranty, certainly not lifetime

from San Diego CA

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Distributes Heat Evenly
    • Retains Heat

Cons

• Scratches Easily

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

We have approximately 8 Le Creuset pieces, buy them often for friends and family as gifts, and recommend them. Well, that is until the cast iron handle broke off a small pan, and the worthless warranty was - not our fault. If you want a replacement pay us.
      I guess Le Creuset just lost loyal customers! It is a real shame because we like the cookware. But it is deceptive advertising to make warranty claims and not honor them.

Don't buy, no warranty at all

from Troy mi

About Me Casual Cook

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

Cookware worked fine until it started Chios inside. Still in warranty, called and left the message, waited a few days and finally get a return number. Sent it and reported the delivery. Now, two months past, no response at all. They will never pick up your call, never return your email. Not worth of your time. Very disappointed.

Horrible quality, worse after sales service

from Miami

Pros

Cons

• Handle Gets Hot

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

Never buy ANY products from Le Creuset and in particular this grill!!! I Used it only 3 times, regular use on electric stove, medium temperature, no scratch, and agyer only 3 uses the coating inside the grill chipped. I have contacted their customer service and they have the worst customer service EVER! They want you to ship the product at your own cost (and this grill is heavy!) to their return department and maybe, if someone is in the mood to replace it, they will otherwise they won't even return it to you and "offer" you to buy a new one at a discounted price! This is unacceptable and the worst warranty service I ever heard of! Don't buy this grill, you are better off with the Ikea grill for 30$!

i would not buy this produce again….

from canada

• Simple Meals

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

Warranty sucks……..they advertise that the stockpots are resistant to wear and damage..I used it 5 times before the enamel began to flake off… they would not answer my calls or emails…. forget about the Warranty… buy stainless steel instead of LeCreuset cookware..

Poor service on warranty claim

from Atlanta, GA

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Retains Heat

Cons

• Finish didn't last

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

We have had a full set of Le Creuset cookware for 15+ years and have only once before had to make a claim against their lifetime warranty for an issue with the enamel finish. In that era of their cookware, the lids to the saucepans were actually little skillets, very useful beyond just being a cover. This time, when we sent back in a small saucepan that began to rust, they told me that they couldn't replace the pan without the lid. The lid is useful and does not have any issues but, of course, this is now their "policy". Way to make the customer happy and impose some absurd "policy" that subtracts even more value from ownership of your product. Bad enough that I have to return something that's supposed to last a lifetime, now there's an additional inconvenience.

Not honoring warranty

Comments about Le Creuset Cookware:

We like the general product line but were disappointed with a set of sauce pans with an interior non stick finish that broke down over several years. Despite their claims of a lifetime warranty they are unwilling to replace what is clearly defective finish.