3.6
Lay's
Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips

Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips

3.6

Lay's Tangy BBQ is better than the regular BBQ.

The local grocery store had Lay's chips on sale buy one get one free so I decide to give the Lay's Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips a try. I liked the better than the regualr Lay's BBQ because the flavor was not so heavily coated on the chip. With Lay's Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips you can still taste the potato in the chip and you get a nice taste of BBQ sauce. The regular BBQ chips have too much flavoring on them & all you can taste is BBQ and it is on the chip too heavily. These Lay's  Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips do not seem as greasy as the regualr BBQ either. As long as Lay's keeps making these I will never buy the regular BBQ chips again. I am sure there is plenty of salt like most potato chips in these but I did not notice it and that is what matters. Becuase I can not stand the taste of salt. I do not care if salt is in something as long as I do not taste it. No salty taste here so that makes them even better for me. Now if only Lay's would make some habanero flavored potato chips then I have something to turly be happy about but these ones are better for sharing because the habanero ones would be MINE alone!

Really not what I expected

My husband just came back from the market with a bag of these knowing that I really love bbq potato chips. and I really do love bbq chips. There is always a battle with my taste buds as to whether I want bbq chips or Nacho Cheese Doritos. The bbq taste buds jumped for joy when I saw the bag. But they also said, "Wait, what? These aren't bbq chips. Are you trying to trick us?" And they are right. These really aren't bbq potato chips. They kind of taste like regular Lays potato chips that have some mustard and/or ketchup with a little bit of barbeque sauce accidentally spilled on the chips, as sometimes happens on picnics. They really aren't tangy, just vinegary from the mustard-like taste. There's no smokiness from the bbq flavor. You don't get the bbq kick with these chips as you do with Lay's regular bbq yummy chips. I guess I will have to get used to them but they really weren't what I expected when I had my first few potato chips. Maybe it's just that my taste buds are in shock and don't know what they are tasting yet. Hardly.

the best!

from Shreveport, Louisiana

About Me Chef, Foodie

Pros

• Addictive
  • Balanced Sweetness
  • Delicious
  • Rich

Cons

• Entertaining
    • Snacking

Comments about Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips:

i absolutely love these chips and they do NOT sell them in our area and haven't for quite some time. nothing more disappointing than finding a delightful chip you love and not being able to even buy them :( for all the people that said this chip was plain, i dont even how this could be, they do not taste like mustard and ketchup either lol! they are DELISH! it's the tanginess that make them so wonderful! please put this chip back in the Shreveport Louisiana area all over, they will sell just fine ;)

best bbq chip I have ever eaten hands down! tangy

from Shreveport, Louisiana

About Me Chef, Foodie

Pros

• Addictive
    • Balanced Sweetness
    • Delicious
    • love the tanginess!

Cons

• Entertaining
      • Snacking

Comments about Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips:

Please put these back in our grocery stores on north louisiana, shreveport louisiana area

Really just BBQ

Comments about Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips:

These are very good BBQ chips. There is absolutely no reason for them to be called Carolina BBQ chips except to make you think there is something unique about them. I live in the Carolina's and they don't taste like "our" BBQ. I would suggest just enjoying these chips and not pretending you are in a Carolina state of mind.

Really not what I expected

from Sherman Oaks, CA

Wonderful Flavor - Painful Consequences

from Pottsboro, TX

Comments about Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips:

I absolutely adore this new chips. They have the mixture of sweet barbeque with a tangy bit of vinegar, leaving a wonderful twist of flavor. The only problem that I can complain about is that they leave the hard palette of my upper mouth with a pretty sore pain that could be cuts or some spice possibly? I'm not quite sure what it is, but it does hurt.

Tastes like you're eating condiments in chip form

from Arroyo Grande, CA

Comments about Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips:

Usually, I love BBQ chips. Admittedly I am not a fan of Lay's, because they're generally greasy and have a weird texture that cuts up my mouth as I eat them. Unfortunately there was not much of a choice, because these were the only chips that were bought! Opening the bag, I noticed that these chips do not have the same texture as most of the other lays. They're far less greasy, and thicker cut.

Chewing these was pretty painful as the chips broke into sharp pieces that cut up my mouth and gums while I was eating. Unfortunately this tends to happen with most chips when I eat them, but it still was not enjoyable.

I'm not really sure what "Carolina BBQ" is, flavor wise, but I did not like them, and none of the other people in my boyfriends family liked them either.

To me, they tasted exactly like mustard smells. Vinegary, and disgusting. I should say that I hate all condiments and think they taste way too strongly of vinegar, so obviously any chip that tastes that way would not be something I enjoy eating. I tried forcing myself to keep chewing, but the vinegary "tangy" flavor they put into the chips actually made me lose my appetite and start gagging.

These are not remotely BBQ flavored. There is a tiny tiny hint of it, but it's completely overpowered by the "tangy" part. Other BBQ chips I have eaten have a smokey, sweet flavor, but this is just completely missing that. I would have been able to stomach these if the tangy had truly been put as a secondary note, with some smokey and sweet in there, but alas, it was not the case.

If you like salt and vinegar chips, or really tangy chips, I imagine you would really enjoy eating these! They were just too much for me to handle.

I did think that the texture was better than most Lay's chips, and the flavoring was consistent from each chip to the next. They also had no broken chips in the bag, which is always nice!

Tastes like Ketchup and Mustard... YUK!

from Shelton, WA

Comments about Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips:

I love Lays Mestique BBQ chips so when I found these Carolina BBQ chips at the store I bought a bag.  I could only choke down a couple of these chips and threw the rest of them in the garbage.

These potatoe chips are heavily seasoned that tastes like ketchup and mustard.  They're just awful!

Lay's Tangy Carolina BBQ is a must for Barbeque chip fans.

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips:

I was at the grocery store and bought the Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips because I hadn't seen it before and it looked appealing. I wanted try out a new flavor, and since I'm also a fan of Barbecue flavored chips, so I thought I would try it out.

I was very pleased with them and would definitely purchase it again. It doesn't taste exactly like the classic BBQ flavor. But as the flavor is named "tangy", it has a more zesty twist to the barbecue flavor. I could taste a hint of mustard flavor, but it's not overloaded at all. The mix of tangy and barbecue is balanced and I really think it's an improved version of the classic BBQ chips. If you enjoy want to change up our snacks or want something unique to snack on, then these chips are perfect. The instant I ate these I knew that I would have to indulge in more!

The name says it all.

from Cedarburg, WI

Comments about Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips:

When I first tried these chips, I was definately not expecting them to taste so much like their flavor name. Very vinegary and definately some hints of mustard, these chips reflect the very common ingredients associated with southern bbq. I can see how some might not like them, as they are very bold. Personally, I love them and they are a very nice, unique change to the norm of bbq chips these days. Great with cold cut sandwiches, picnic lunches, dips and ice cold beer.

weird aftertaste

from Albuquerque, NM

Comments about Lay's - Tangy Carolina BBQ Chips:

**i decided to give those chips a try, as my husband likes it "tangy" after eating a few of those i noticed a weird aftertaste in my mouth, dont think i am crazy, but somehow i could taste some kind of orange flavor and chili flavor at the same time also they seemed to taste like mustard, which was even more strange. They also taste a little sweet and sour!? which i thought was really weird. If you want a fancy mixed flavor in your chips, you need to try those. on one hand, the new flavor was good, but i could not bare the aftertaste. i had to immediately brush my teeth to get the taste out of my mouth. For someone who likes a weird mix of flavors, those chips might be right for you. I will not buy them again. **